Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BANME.sh
Jan 23, 2008

What is this??
Are you some kind of hypnotist??
Grimey Drawer

This didn't get the attention it deserves, here is a better story link though:

http://consequenceofsound.net/2013/11/watch-nine-inch-nails-dedicate-in-this-twilight-to-ailing-photographer-andrew-youssef/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BANME.sh
Jan 23, 2008

What is this??
Grimey Drawer
The show in Edmonton last night was pretty great. It was my 4th time seeing NIN (previously once during With Teeth, once during the first leg of LITS and again during the 2nd leg). Trent seemed to have more energy this time around than I remember the last two tours. Especially so considering Edmonton was the 2nd last show of this tour and you'd half expect a band to be pretty tired by then. There was a lot less improv moments (fewer random fucks and grunts thrown in) but everything was spot on and it didn't feel like the band was just going through the motions like a day at the office. The bassist was pretty motionless the whole show, but who cares.

The audio was also considerably quieter than other stadium shows which is a huge, huge plus. Being able to actually hear different instruments and make out vocals was A+. Don't get me wrong, it was still very loud, but it wasn't a noisy distorted mess like 90% of other bands.

A few super minor gripes which should not be taken as complaints, but rather observations:

Besides one or two songs, I didn't feel the backup singers added anything of value. They sounded pretty good during All Time Low, but I think their vocals were too quiet or something. Could barely make them out most of the time and they were mostly drowned out in the mix. Hopefully a future blu-ray will have them a little more prominent.

I honestly thought the LITS tour lighting was better. There were absolutely zero (that I noticed) dynamic real-time effects going on with the screens. Even during With Teeth, they had Trent "smash" one of the giant screens with his mic stand and it looked like glass shattered everywhere. LITS had the weird pulsating Trent face, the "wiping" of light across the screen by (I think) Rob Sheridan, and Josh Freese' Vanna White style drum sequencer bit. I found those all way way more entertaining to watch. The Tension 2013 lights were great, but I feel like they didn't pack in any cool surprises.

That said, the effects during Came Back Haunted were super goddamn cool. Whenever they sang "came back haunted", the background would flash bright red and there would be white spotlights on each band member. It actually made them look like black-and-white ghostly figures. A really impressive optical illusion.

And everyone is going to have a say about the setlists, but they didn't play anything from Ghosts and only one song from With Teeth (Hand That Feeds). I was really hoping for All The Love In The World :(

One last thing to mention, right before the encore Trent said that Edmonton was the last spot on the tour where that light show was going to be performed. I thought it was strange, because they still have Calgary tonight. A friend of mine said it's likely because Calgary's Saddledome can't support the lighting rigs. If that's true, Calgary is gonna get a stripped down show tonight and maybe hopefully a little something extra special to make up for it. Anyone going to Calgary's show tonight needs to do a trip report.

BANME.sh fucked around with this message at 22:10 on Nov 25, 2013

BANME.sh
Jan 23, 2008

What is this??
Grimey Drawer

GuavaMoment posted:

That bit was exactly like the video for Came Back Haunted; it sounds like you haven't seen it.

I have, but I didn't make the connection I guess. The video was kind of a turd, and I only watched it once.

BANME.sh
Jan 23, 2008

What is this??
Grimey Drawer
Only minorly related to NIN, but I bet Ilan Rubin is glad he's not at all related to Lostprophets anymore...

quote:

Lostprophets' Ian Watkins pleads guilty to 11 charges – including two counts of attempting to rape a baby

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/u...by-8964029.html

:what:

edit: apparently this is old news, but he only pleaded guilty to it just recently after previously denying it since first accused

BANME.sh fucked around with this message at 21:23 on Nov 27, 2013

BANME.sh
Jan 23, 2008

What is this??
Grimey Drawer
I'm only speaking for myself here, but I don't make a ton of money. I recently had a baby, have a mortgage, and it seems I gotta pay to get something repaired every other month. Money is definitely tight, but besides all of that, I was able to afford a ticket to see one of my favorite bands. A hundred bucks is a lot for only a couple hours of entertainment, for sure, but if you can't save $5/month to see your favorite band every two years, you must be terrible with your money.

BANME.sh
Jan 23, 2008

What is this??
Grimey Drawer

:pcgaming:

Excited for the blu-ray because the compression on this youtube stream is poo poo.

BANME.sh
Jan 23, 2008

What is this??
Grimey Drawer
So, Trent likes to release little Christmas/New Years gifts via bittorrent every year that NIN is active or touring. Should we start the speculation for this holiday season?

BANME.sh
Jan 23, 2008

What is this??
Grimey Drawer
Broken and Closure on DVD, plus the 400GB footage archive from their 2008 tour as well

BANME.sh
Jan 23, 2008

What is this??
Grimey Drawer
It's cute that he called his early new wave projects a "garage band"

BANME.sh
Jan 23, 2008

What is this??
Grimey Drawer
This isn't news, but remember when this amazing thing happened?

I figure it's about time it gets reposted.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-k3TYNXwzHQ&hd=1

BANME.sh
Jan 23, 2008

What is this??
Grimey Drawer
I don't blame him for going back to a label, but the backpedaling on the Grammys thing is pretty funny. I know he's a Grown Up Man now and the "gently caress the system" schtick is getting old, but it does come off as pretty hypocritical. TOOT BOOT is right, nothing has really changed between then and now other than him being invited to perform. He was in the 40s back then and he's still in his 40s now. There has been no grand revelation or shift in the industry.

"gently caress the grammys"

*gets invited to perform*

"hah, jk jk"

BANME.sh
Jan 23, 2008

What is this??
Grimey Drawer
On one hand, he should know that big network tv has time constraints to abide by. On the other hand, the network should know how to allot time for every award and performer, and maybe they should have cut some speeches short instead.

Oh well. Award shows are dumb anyhow

BANME.sh
Jan 23, 2008

What is this??
Grimey Drawer
I hope TR hears this

BANME.sh
Jan 23, 2008

What is this??
Grimey Drawer
I have the same set but I also have with sin, with teeth, and year zero which the last two I believe came with album pre-orders and not the spiral membership.

i got them all framed and I'll probably give them to my kid when he's old enough.

BANME.sh
Jan 23, 2008

What is this??
Grimey Drawer
I thought that was released as a bootleg a couple years ago now. This is the tracklisting I have:

01. Gave Up (Open My Eyes) (5:28)
02. Closer (Unrecalled) (7:41)
03. The Downward Spiral (A Gilded Sickness) (7:59)
04. Eraser (Reduction) (8:45)
05. Gave Up (Flim Mix) (3:45)
06. Gave Up (Coldcutter) (1:29)
07. Gave Up (In Your Face) (1:38)
08. Gave Up (Full Mix) (1:50)
09. Gave Up (Full Mix+) (2:07)
10. Gave Up (More Perc) (1:43)
11. Gave Up (More Perc No Bass) (1:42)

BANME.sh
Jan 23, 2008

What is this??
Grimey Drawer

The Singing Chav posted:

QotSA were with them in the states for With_Teeeth shows not too long ago and they really weren't very exciting.

Yeah it's totally fair to compare them now to a tour they did nearly a decade ago.

I saw QotSA last summer and they were fantastic. They know how to put on a good show, but I can see how they might be tired after a world tour.

BANME.sh
Jan 23, 2008

What is this??
Grimey Drawer

Sir Lemming posted:

It's funny because crappy mastering makes such a bigger impact on how a recording sounds than whether you're listening to it on analog or lossless or whatever. So if anyone other than the mixers and engineers are working on a "solution" it's pretty much a waste of time, except in some sort of indirect "proving there are people who care about how their music sounds" sort of way.

This project is the physical and financial manifestation of a YouTube video of some old musician saying these young people don't know what it's like to make real music without a computer and it just ain't the same, or whatever. It's kind of embarrassing. It's a backwards and unnecessary "solution". Fix the way your albums are being digitally mastered and the rest will fix itself. CDs and mp3s don't magically ruin music.

Yup.

Neil Young was an embarrassment in the Sound City documentary, as well. Going on about how digital audio has been flawed from the ground up, and that the engineers who originally designed the analog to digital process made a mistake. He came off as an old man completely out of his element.

BANME.sh
Jan 23, 2008

What is this??
Grimey Drawer
I remember in 2009 I was looking forward to hearing the 10th anniversary edition re-release of The Fragile.

Next year, it's gonna be the 10th anniversary of With Teeth.

:negative:

BANME.sh
Jan 23, 2008

What is this??
Grimey Drawer
I knew it wouldn't be long before phiz folk made their way in here :unsmigghh:

BANME.sh
Jan 23, 2008

What is this??
Grimey Drawer

GuavaMoment posted:

If you asked me what the worst song NIN ever released was, I'd have to think long and hard about whether the answer is 'Everything', or that 14 minute thing that's supposed to be 'Me, I'm Not' on Year Zero Remixed.

It seems everyone has their own opinion. I happen to love that Olof Dreijer remix (I am a big fan of The Knife, so go figure).

The absolute worst for me is from the same remix album, the Epworth Phones remix of Capigal G. It's so loving dumb.

BANME.sh
Jan 23, 2008

What is this??
Grimey Drawer
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PAhOJ1dLviQ&t=198s

I am wracking my brain trying to figure out what NIN song this little synth melody (3:18) reminds me of. I am thinking something from The Fragile but could also be from TDS. Anyone feel the same way?

BANME.sh
Jan 23, 2008

What is this??
Grimey Drawer
That's rad. I once had Trent offer me a free ticket on twitter but I turned it down because I would have had to pay for a plane ticket + hotel to Vegas :(

BANME.sh
Jan 23, 2008

What is this??
Grimey Drawer
Preview of the Gone Girl soundtrack up at http://nin.com/

BANME.sh
Jan 23, 2008

What is this??
Grimey Drawer
It auto plays in the background. Not sure if it's HTML5 or flash or some other thing

BANME.sh
Jan 23, 2008

What is this??
Grimey Drawer
the last tour hiatus breezed by to be honest, and I think breaks that long are necessary to maintain your sanity and to come back with new ideas.

BANME.sh
Jan 23, 2008

What is this??
Grimey Drawer
There's a new interview with Trent posted by Billboard - http://www.billboard.com/articles/news/6304122/trent-reznor-talks-nine-inch-nails-scoring-gone-girl-apple-project

There's a big segment on the Gone Girl soundtrack, but he mentions the future of NIN and touring now that he'll be fifty years old next year. Also, his role with Beats/Apple after the acquisition.

BANME.sh
Jan 23, 2008

What is this??
Grimey Drawer
:3:

BANME.sh
Jan 23, 2008

What is this??
Grimey Drawer
Ghosts was him messing around in the studio

BANME.sh
Jan 23, 2008

What is this??
Grimey Drawer
Yeah AATCHB holds up. Be sure to check out the easter eggs with Manson. I also think the audio is mixed the best out of all NIN's live performances, but probably only because it has a lot of overdubs. I remember Trent saying BYIT didn't need any or as much because the band performed so well live.

Too bad it will probably never get released in HD.

You could say NIN was at its prime during that era, despite Trent probably being strung out most of the time.

BANME.sh fucked around with this message at 07:07 on May 3, 2015

BANME.sh
Jan 23, 2008

What is this??
Grimey Drawer

TheJoker138 posted:

I thought it was shot on either tape or SD digital, and therefore there's basically no way to make it look any better than it already does? The same issue that Closure had?

Yeah I figured this was the case. So much stuff from the 90s and early 2000s trapped in SD forever :(

BANME.sh
Jan 23, 2008

What is this??
Grimey Drawer
Did a double take when I saw this on the news this morning (Calgary mayor and Alberta premier pictured)

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/edmonton/naheed-nenshi-don-iveson-pleased-with-talks-with-rachel-notley-1.3125321?cmp=rss

BANME.sh
Jan 23, 2008

What is this??
Grimey Drawer
works for me sorry you cant figure out technology

BANME.sh
Jan 23, 2008

What is this??
Grimey Drawer
You guys need to see more bands that don't play in big arenas.

BANME.sh
Jan 23, 2008

What is this??
Grimey Drawer
Not sure how this didn't get posted yet.

A couple weeks ago, Moog released a video of Trent talking about Moog synthesizers and how they influenced him as a musician.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zAGtlgwFdhM

BANME.sh
Jan 23, 2008

What is this??
Grimey Drawer
Halo 1-4 is getting a vinyl box set release next month for record store day :toot:

BANME.sh
Jan 23, 2008

What is this??
Grimey Drawer
So.... who's betting Trent is saving all his Year Zero 2 material for when Trump gets elected?

Capital D.

BANME.sh
Jan 23, 2008

What is this??
Grimey Drawer
He was behind Beats' former music streaming platform because it had some kind of unique recommendation feature. He had nothing to do with the hardware

BANME.sh
Jan 23, 2008

What is this??
Grimey Drawer
He also did some long rear end spoken word album and the digital download files were aiffs or some poo poo, and nobody could play them unless you used QuickTime on a mac

BANME.sh
Jan 23, 2008

What is this??
Grimey Drawer
He's an adult that realized making connections and friendships with industry people is more sustainable long term than being an angsty pariah. What would be more contradictory and sad is if he kept up the same tired schtick from from 1996 all the way into his 50s - take a look at marilyn manson if you want an example of where that gets you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BANME.sh
Jan 23, 2008

What is this??
Grimey Drawer
I think he's realized that as a middle aged family man he's more less run out of relevant things to sing about, so he's content doing soundtracks where he can still make bleepy bloop music and get paid up front for it. I don't necessarily blame him for that.