Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fors Yard
Feb 15, 2008

Aside from getting shot in the head, David, what have you done with yourself?
I saw another album cover or something that had a similar design as the HTDA debut. I think it even had a skull. No idea what it was for, though. If I'm remembering correctly, it at least had more of a blue/purple color scheme.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fors Yard
Feb 15, 2008

Seattle show was good. Nice setlist, and played a few I was hoping to hear. Some great lighting effects, and I loved how dynamic it was. Really cool effect how the overhead lights would close down to create the claustrophobic space. I loved the lighting for In Two. Great use of layers. Reminded me of a Gradius level, or something.

The one lighting thing I didn't like was when they had the "shadows" on the screen. They didn't quite match up, and saw the Trent "shadow" stumble back on one foot, and seeing him do the same kinda ruined it for me. Minor little gripe, but whatever.

I love the nin.com ticket stub, and I am glad I got the presale for a good seat, as well as having that. It's a macro shot of a few of the teeth on the blue square. Nice depth of field. Also foil. Seats were nice, but I can see how being in the crown would enhance the effects of the light show.

Explosions in the Sky did not do it for me. I like post-rock, but from my experience after the first three or so you listen to, they kind of run together and you don't really need to listen to more. The guitarists theatrics were a bit annoying. lifting his guitar over his head during one of the many, similar crescendos. I know it's common to hate on a NIN opener, but I would have taken Autolux or Mew any day.

Fors Yard
Feb 15, 2008

It just now occurred to me that they didn't play "Everything" last Friday. Has that been axed from Tension, or was that only the festival shows before?

Fors Yard
Feb 15, 2008

I really like the Everything remix. I also like Autolux quite a bit, but it's not like that is very representative of their music (except synth bits around 2:36 maybe).

Fors Yard
Feb 15, 2008

Talking Heads for sure, but definitely Bowie. Not to mention they put on great live shows. Just as fun as the arena shows with huge lights, but the costumes they come up with are great. Never thought I'd be at a show where the singer rides through the crowd of 350 people on someone dressed as a three headed hydra; nice to know he likes them.

I have noticed many of my favorite artists follow the same trend of really only being one person, but with the help of others. I believe Kevin is a bit more on his own, and producing the whole thing on an old Synclavier, whereas Trent always has an additional producer.

\/\/ I was almost going to mention that, and I do like the polish that he gave the album. Also love his An Eluardian Instance remix reconstruction more than the original.

Fors Yard fucked around with this message at 02:05 on Feb 1, 2014

Fors Yard
Feb 15, 2008

Probably mentioned before, but the a commercial/trailer for the new 300 movie uses Eraser, which I am kind of annoyed by.

Fors Yard
Feb 15, 2008

Not sure what he did, but Richard Devine had some involvement with the game sounds (maybe music) a while ago, he posted pictures backstage at a NIN show. Most of his stuff is super dense mangled IDM, but I'd recommend checking him out. I was really lucky and was able to hang out with him and The Flashbulb, and Richard is surprisingly funny for the dark mood his music often has.

Fors Yard
Feb 15, 2008

Seems a little strange to have TWO Reznor remixes on an album without any other remixes. Is he trying to catch his attention and do something with him? Never cared much for his music, and I remember a track or two where he was really trying for a NIN-like sound (singing and all). At least this album has a slightly less generic name.

Fors Yard
Feb 15, 2008

I don't remember. This would have been around 2008-9 and it was just on soundcloud. He has since deleted/migrated all that, or I'd look through it to find it. I mostly remember some goon mentioning how he did the singing but doubling the track with a whisper as well. ~*emotional*~ I'm sure it exists somewhere.

Fors Yard
Feb 15, 2008

Yeah, definitely Ghosts lite, but I was expecting the majority of the album to be like that, but still plenty 130BPM club anthems.

Fors Yard
Feb 15, 2008

Well, I love that remix, and I find myself humming it from time to time. I don't understand why people dislike it so much.

Fors Yard
Feb 15, 2008

well there goes your opinion about anything ever

I might like it a little more if it wasn't seemingly aimless runs. I was waiting for her to break out into that Cranberries song.

Fors Yard
Feb 15, 2008

They have influences from other genres (UK bass/dub), but I think many of you would like Necro Deathmort (yeah the name kinda sucks)

I've been consistently impressed by their variety of output, and just how nice it sounds. Some very Reznor moments, but mostly entirely instrumental and can get doomy, and droney.

http://necrodeathmort.bandcamp.com/album/music-of-bleak-origin
http://necrodeathmort.bandcamp.com/album/ep2

Fors Yard
Feb 15, 2008

The ashes and debris
And all that's left of me
Not answering

Fors Yard
Feb 15, 2008

My impression was the Deviation series meant Fragile was 1, and if there is a 2 would be another of his albums given a similar treatment.

Fors Yard
Feb 15, 2008

The me that you know is now made up of wrinkles
And even when I'm right with you I can't hear what you say

Fors Yard
Feb 15, 2008

In an interview, I know Richard said that happened with a Lemonheads remix he was supposed to do (that never got released), but maybe it was the same for that as well. Nothing released some Squarepusher and Plug (Luke Vibert) so I'd hope he'd have some respect for Trent.

Fors Yard
Feb 15, 2008

I threw my shirt away
Now I'm nothing
I let it slip away
Now I'm nothing
All that I can do
Is break myself in two
I hosed it all away
Now I'm nothing

Fors Yard
Feb 15, 2008

:rubshands:

Fors Yard
Feb 15, 2008

video evidence. I think he's right, you guys

Fors Yard
Feb 15, 2008

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8fO0c5cQ1B8

Came Back Haunted could probably work too?

Fors Yard
Feb 15, 2008

IUG posted:

The backwards guitar loop is nearly physically painful to my ears. And it's like half (or more) of the song. Once it flips back to normal the song's alright.

It does kind of sound like when the car window is open and it is throbbing/beating rapidly until you close it. There must be a actual term for that but it's a little unpleasant.

Fors Yard
Feb 15, 2008

polyester concept posted:

The thing that sticks out most to me about that album is how hard the drums hit. They rule. Of all the NIN eras, I loved that the most about With Teeth. I don't wish he would go back to his addiction self loathing past, I wish he would just use live drums again instead of a drum machine.

Line Begins to Blur verses are some of my favorite parts on the album. That snare/synth combo is such a satisfying percussion sound.

I'd like Sunspots more if the drums didn't sound so fake. it's not a cool fake drum machine sound it just sounds bad in the choruses.

Fors Yard
Feb 15, 2008

Rageaholic posted:

I was doing the decade comparison photo thing on Facebook and one of my friends pulled out an old picture of me from 2008 with my Slip shirt on. Man, I miss that shirt :smith: I think I literally wore it so much that it fell apart.

If you are size small or medium size there are a few on ebay for reasonable prices.

Here

edit: didn't see the dates on the back. There is a small without that but same on front but only small for about $15 here

Fors Yard fucked around with this message at 02:40 on Nov 24, 2019

Fors Yard
Feb 15, 2008

Nail Rat posted:

This isn't true at all. Many EPs are 12 inches. Most people would call a 7 inch a single.

https://support.landr.com/hc/en-us/articles/115009568227-What-s-the-difference-between-a-single-an-EP-and-an-album-

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_$5.98_E.P.:_Garage_Days_Re-Revisited just one famous example of an EP.

Unless you are The Gerogerigegege and fit 79 "songs" on a 7" EP

Yellow Trash Bazooka - pretty NWS cover but it's a great EP of noise that doesn't take itself too seriously. Those of you who like the crunchy deteriorating lo-fi sound of the Background Would outro might appreciate the sounds here.

Fors Yard
Feb 15, 2008

SUNKOS posted:

I'm guessing by the name, themes and what Flood has said that the song was probably about suicide. Shame it never made it into the reissue of the album but Trent being older probably realized it would be a bad idea. Get a little curious sometimes if there's any particular older material that really makes him cringe. I imagine Starfuckers is definitely on that last, and the flip-flop-flip song from With Teeth. I wonder if Just Do It was perhaps an early version of Eraser? Sounds more like it was part of the finished tracks and pulled from the album however, so maybe not.

I've always wondered if this is why he made Deviations. I love The Fragile although the lyrics can be a little corny sometimes and knowing how difficult a time that was for him in his life, it's probably hard to listen to.

Also, just in case people don't know the flip-flop lyrics are a reference to Pere Ubu

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=91KBuWqxE7g

Fors Yard
Feb 15, 2008

Missed opportunity. Linked to be safe

https://i.ibb.co/sgyzLjF/E5t-Yu-JWVg-Aka-Xb3t.jpg

Fors Yard
Feb 15, 2008

obeyasia posted:

and its missing a song completely

They took the title too literally

Fors Yard
Feb 15, 2008

They're the world's most fearsome fighting team
They're heroes with a Pretty Hate Machine

Fors Yard
Feb 15, 2008

That was Karen O for Immigrant song

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fors Yard
Feb 15, 2008

Dr Tran posted:

I got a new car and still feel adolescent enough to want some NIN stickers on it. Problem is I don’t even know where to get window stickers

eBay has a bunch with different colors and sizes to choose