Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
Love you lynch goddamn

E: https://youtu.be/QczxCxFRUf0

Link to the performance

The REAL Goobusters fucked around with this message at 06:31 on Jun 26, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

Oh yeah. Would this just be a one-off for a TV show then? Maybe Joey Castillo is a big David Lynch fan or something.

no. this probably means ilan had some other commitments. Joey is about to go on tour with QOTSA

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

6EQUJ5 6 7 posted:

Why are they called that on the show?

I'm gonna assume you've never seen something by david lynch

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

NuclearPotato posted:

Unless something changed really recently, Joey hasn't been part of QOTSA since 2012 or so. Uh, to keep things T-Rez related, have some Era Vulgaris:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7CwKplZn11A

Ah I confused his name withh their other drummer. Both start with a J :downs:

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
https://twitter.com/trent_reznor/status/885499852456566784

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
https://youtu.be/gDV-dOvqKzQ

Less than

E: the EP is called ADD VIOLENCE and it's out July 21

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
I knew I was getting a Jeff minter vibe off the video

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

repeating posted:

Spotted. Trent's favorite noise again at 2:46 the wailing klaxon guitar drone he's twisted all kinds of sounds into since The Fragile.

So I guess I mean Robin Finck?

:3

Edit: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HMy3nDaUfx0

I'm the avenged sevenfold poster

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

Kelp Me! posted:

One thing I really do like is how NIN has evolved into a more collaborative process. I think With Teeth was the first album where Trent really allowed others into the collaborative process, and the music shines for it IMO. I'm stoked that Atticus is considered a permanent part of the band now, and I've always liked that a lot of the recent core group (Robin, Josh/Ilan, Allesandro and to a slightly lesser extent Justin Johnson) seem to have a degree of creative control over the music rather than just being touring musicians, etc.

I used to worry about the whole "NIN is maybe done" thing, but even at the time Trent was doing the HTDA stuff and the film scores. A similar thing happened with Porcupine Tree who are one of my favorite bands; they went on indefinite hiatus in like 2009, but Steven Wilson has consistently put out fantastic solo albums that just happen to sound very like Porcupine Tree, so it worked out OK. Come to think of it, there's a lot of similarities, since Porcupine Tree was for a long time basically Steven Wilson's solo project before adding in a permanent lineup, which really helped the music expand and grow.

e: drat, the more I think about it the more similarities between the 2 bands there are. Both feature keyboard players who were well-respected in their own right before joining, drummers that are well-known for playing with other really famous bands...drat :tinfoil:

I think this actually started a bit in The Fragile.

Never forget that Dr Dre mixed Even Deeper.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
Trent is 52 guys

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

Entropic posted:

They don't actually want you to manage and curate your own music collection, at this point they mostly just want you to buy into their streaming service.

I feel like such an old these days when I run into kids who basically just use Spotify or whatever and never really buy songs, let alone albums.

Mind you I don't think I've bought an album in a physical format since like 2010.

and yet Vinyl sales are at an all time high

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

quote:

The idea didn’t quite come together. “The piss-stained sheet was a pretty white curtain that looked stupid.” There followed a “harsh talk with the lighting designer,” Reznor recalls. “I said, ‘You are going to throw all this poo poo out and do what I said the first time. I want the biggest loving fans in Los Angeles to blow so much smoke that we can’t stand onstage without being knocked over. I want to be the Cure in 1981. I want to be just an outline of a lovely haircut and color and smoke and noise.’ ”

nice

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

Sir Lemming posted:

I guess he's on the interview circuit, because here's another, longer interview with Vulture. Covers some of the same ground, but more in-depth.

http://www.vulture.com/2017/07/trent-reznor-nine-inch-nails.html

drat that was a really good question about the Hurt visuals actually

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

Sir Lemming posted:

I got a "shipping" notification for NTAE vinyl about a week ago, but it's still in the "pre-shipment" phase. Of course, at this point I had barely even remembered ordering the thing, so it's not any huge deal.

Same. I sent the support an email about that wondering if they had any ETA or what was even happening and basically they gave out the tracking number as soon as they got them to everyone.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

Dad

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

So check this poo poo out: Day for Night Festival in Houston (which I went to last year) released their lineup for the 2017 festival in December and oh my god

:vince:

Even if I have to sell my body, I'm going to this.

A friend of mine sent me this last night and he's plugged in so it was legit, but seeing it confirmed rules. gently caress yeah man NIN and Lil b the same weekend? gently caress yeah

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
There was a remix of the beginning of the end in one of the episodes

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

il_cornuto posted:

Not that it's surprising, but it's still kind of a shame that despite his relationship with Bowie, and championing bands like DEP, he's not finding new stuff to listen to. There's so much great stuff out there, hearing that he's fallen into relying on the old classics is a little disappointing.

i agree

he should listen to lil pump

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
Who loving cares you nerds

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

Caseman posted:

They were in Orlando.

No one checked my ID at the Houston show.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
You guys need to listen to more bands with full LPs that are like 6 songs long but long as hell

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
You loving realize that most of the big venues have deals with live nation right like that’s why ticket sales are one of the most hosed things in the country. They own Ticketmaster AND stubhub. Personally I think it’s admirable that they chose these venues that allow them to do this since it’s almost self suicide in the age of the internet.

With the prices of the show being what they are it’s gonna be the people that want to go the most go, and evens the playing field in a way people have a chance to fight scalpers getting all the best seats/GA tickets immediately.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

Earwicker posted:

this is why i have pretty much stopped going to see artists who are as popular as NIN and play the arena circuit. there is so, so much good live music out there where you don't have to deal with this kind of nonsense. to me, its getting harder to justify.

This my thing as well, I never go to big shows anymore because of Ticketmaster. I bought tickets to Dota events through it and its a huge hassle, I end just calling ticketmaster and buying through the phone since its an easier experience.

Big arena shows cost a bunch of money, I just view it as a consequence for playing at a place like that.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
holy poo poo I am all about this

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
https://twitter.com/Beats1/status/997134015109906432

https://twitter.com/nineinchnails/status/997136234194452481

The REAL Goobusters fucked around with this message at 16:29 on May 17, 2018

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
tr is legend for flaming the poo poo out of people in echoingthesound over the years lmao

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

Leon Einstein posted:

Those Wave Goodbye shows had some good stuff sprinkled in.

I think the staples are the songs he's been playing for 25 years at every show. He finally retired Closer and Down In It after playing them at every show. I actually wish he'd bring back DII though.

Also, I went to a NIN concert with you during the With Teeth tour in Chicago. :)

He played Closer on the tour he did with Soundgarden so he brought that back.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
Year zero is a top tier album

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
Everything was sound checked and you could hear it be played live in the background in a YouTube video/documentary thing they did for the beginning of that tour

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

extradite THIS! posted:

Trent said he got tired of Everything, something to the effect of "it's become an irritant to me", which is why they ended up not playing it.

"There were a few moments of this album where I expected eyebrows to raise," Reznor says. "But that actually was not one of them. To me, 'Everything' is a descendant of Fear and Joy Division and New Order. Somehow, that song has become representative of this as my 'happy album,' although I don't hear it as such. It's certainly not meant to make you feel like, 'Look at how great everything is!' But it seems to be the shocking moment of the record. We've not played it onstage, only in rehearsals. It's become an irritant to me."[4]

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

Am I remembering incorrectly or didn't Trent write Everything as a song that was supposed to appear on a greatest hits compilation that ended up never coming out?

Yes as well as Satellite, in the process of composing/recording those songs, he started work on a whole new album and it became Hesitation Marks.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
I like all the albums but I think With Teeth needs more respect, it’s better than The Slip imo.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
It’s good to know that TR likes the migos

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
Its a good day for new music

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

Pirate Jet posted:

Yeah, you got it Trent, you invented background screens and lighting rigs. You old, stupid rear end in a top hat.

lmao wtf

E: is that you abed???

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

Steve2911 posted:

Why Kanye and the Weekend specifically? Hasn't everyone done exactly all of this for the last decade?

If you actually clicked the article you would have seen that they have shared tour production designers

quote:

Nine Inch Nails and Kanye have both worked with production designer Martin Phillips (the creator of the iconic Daft Punk pyramid) in the past.

In a 2017 Billboard interview, Sooner Routhier and Robert Long, the Weeknd’s lighting and production designers for his “Starboy: Legend of the Fall” tour, acknowledged Reznor's influence on their work. “We’ve always called [the Weeknd’s] aesthetic the Nine Inch Nails of R&B,” they said. “His music has so many dynamics and the visuals and lighting have to reflect that. But, it still has to be simple.” Routhier added, “I have always looked up to and respected Roy Bennett. His lighting designs for Nine Inch Nails and Prince have inspired me since I was in college.”

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

I think you’re just mad he called the new Kanye album garbage lol

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

Nail Rat posted:

Trent was 52 years old at the time, it's a 9 second sample looped 52 times. Each time it decays.

oh poo poo I didn't know about this

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
The perfect drug kinda sucks honestly

Niggy tardust is really good (and probably saul’s best album still)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

precision posted:

Full disclosure, I used to encounter Saul Williams a whole lot in the late 90s/early 00s when I did poetry slam and he is an incredibly massive douchebag so that mayyyyyyy have altered my opinion.

Lmao

The album is really good i think you just have some personal issues with the guy