Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
I think he’s talking about how streaming has made a lot of music disposable. As in, it’s not the main focus to just listen to an album. It’s having a playlist on in the background while you work or do chores.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

MIDWIFE CRISIS posted:

I refuse to believe Trez is on tiktok

He’s not but KRAW probably is

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

Emetic Hustler posted:

Can someone explain why vinyl TDS is 60 euros? I don't think I paid that much for The Fragile (2019) and it is 3LP. Is it just inflation?

Hasn’t been repressed in a while

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

Emetic Hustler posted:

But it's a new repress. Prices are completely bonkers.

Are we talking about the 2017 release? I haven’t heard of a new pressing at all. Ive been waiting since The fragile was made available again recently. Honestly I would cop

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
TMNT album dropped

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

Island Nation posted:

Of course they would get a explicit lyrics label for a PG film.

According to IMDB, Seth Rogen compared the soundtrack to Tony Hawk Pro Skater. He does know NIN was only in Project 8 in the series right?

I don't think he means it in that way lol

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
Hesitation Marks is still one of my all time favorite albums. Incredibly low key.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

IUG posted:

Since this topic got a bump; I want more Deviations releases. Fragile Deviations was so good. It even has the “1” in the title, so you know he was planning on more.

Yeah it was loving awesome

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

Redrum and Coke posted:

Is there a specific time we can point to when NIN gave up any pretense of being different from any of the other interchangeable bands selling endless tchotchkes?

I still love Trent's music but, goddamn.

When he got married

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
I think it looks loving sick

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

Carpet posted:

Wish I hadn't prevaricated about buying that one, it sold out really quickly. The tote bag actually looks quite good, but I've just bought another one recently so can't justify having two on the go. Anyway when's the Year Zero remaster due

soon

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

MIDWIFE CRISIS posted:

Yeah but that one is funny, a random H&M shirt with the NIN logo is just very anonymous.
They had Grateful Dead shirts when I was there last, left a weird taste in my mouth.
On the other hand, the last thing I want is to gatekeep NIN :(

Let people rock NIN

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
HEALTH is an industrial rock band

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
He needs to explore the drum and bass/jungle sounds he was doing on Complication from the fragile considering the comeback the genre has had

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

Sir Lemming posted:

God Break Down The Door kind of felt like a really weird version of that.

Ohhhh yessss i don’t know why I forgot about that. More please TR

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
Yeah I'm loving the HEALTH album.

Electro-Boogie Jack posted:

Dissenting opinion: I think Future of Hell, Hateful, and DSM-V are fine, but I would argue that HEALTH lost its spark when Jupiter left the band and ever since they've been trying to make up for the loss of their synth player and apparently most creative member by turning up the guitars and reaching for a very superficial darkness. I'm also not sure if their lyrics got worse or if it just worked better when they were indistinct; either way, these lyrics are very silly now.

its cum metal now, also don't sleep on Johnny

The REAL Goobusters fucked around with this message at 01:50 on Dec 9, 2023

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
For a more serious answer, I think the band definitely lost something when Jupiter left, but Johnny is just as responsible for the electronics on HEALTH since the beginning too. I personally enjoy the music style changes they go through with each album as well. There was a strong visceral reaction from older fans and adjacent fans when they went more pop on Death Magic.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

gently caress yesssss

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

Sir Lemming posted:

Also Kojima is kind of famous on Twitter (and, I mean, for other reasons too) for just randomly and matter-of-factly posting about whatever movie he is watching. And he also recently posted photos of himself with Jordan Peele, Guillermo del Toro and others. So it's anyone's guess whether it means anything.

He’s literally making a game with Jordan Peele. And anytime he has anyone at the office he scans them lol

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

Goddamn this is amazing footage. So interesting to see their mindset going in and how they were stacking themselves up against Metallica. Always wondered how they felt about that.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

IUG posted:

So NIN is just a merch label now, like Nirvana? Just slap the name on anything?

God forbid we get anything cool or fun

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
With Teeth on vinyl sounds so good. I recommend seeking it out

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
TR said in the discord at the end of the last tour that if they were to tour again, it would be different. As in the current live band setup would change as they basically toured the last 3 albums with it and he wants a change. And yeah if a new album were to release it would be interesting, it’s up to him and Atticus at this point if they feel they got the material for a new record.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

game recognize game

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
https://twitter.com/consequence/status/1775892155288138229

a nice lil summary. we're feasting rn

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
Need that NIN FESTIVAL

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
Trent is so funny lol

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
how easily you all forget

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LRPYtIiVlgs

also

https://nothing.nin.net/int3.html

quote:

Subject: Black Celebration/Flash By Robin Reinhardt Spin Feb. 1990

"People come up to me like I'm this grim, have-a-noose-around-my-neck-at-all-times kind of person. That's not the case at all," says Nine Inch Nails' Trent Reznor."I'm not the happiest guy in the world. I'm not sure why. But I can't say, "It's because someone stole my bike.""
Trent, a 24-year-old keyboardist from rural PA, dropped out of college in '84, moved to the steel wasteland of Cleveland and took a job as a studio technician to learn music engineering. Though he's a trained classical pianist, he hasn't looked at a piece of sheet music in five years. He didn't want traditional music theory and technique to interfere with Nine Inch Nails' raw, uncalculated debut LP, Pretty Hate Machine. Reshaping '80's mope rock, Trent and producers John Fryer and Flood fuse misery with technology. They take advantage of the massive appeal of the Cure, Depeche Mode and the Smiths(the dead on expression of post-adolescent discontent) and make it danceable. The album ia a collection of dense electronic noise, synthesized beats and powerful laments that wallow in introspection, attack with violent screams and haunt with seductive, droning whispers. The songs - the first Trent's ever written - are fraught with religious references, Trent sometimes putting himself in Christ's place.

"I believe in god," he says. "I was brought up going to Sunday school and church, but it didn't really mean anything. Things upset me a lot. It was just a theme I kept coming back to-religion, guilt and doubting. I believe there's a god but I'm not too sure of his relevance."

On stage, Trent and the touring band he formed in Cleveland are lost in a sea of smoke, leather and skin. Covered in cakey white powder, black lipstick and eyeliner, he moves slowly, provocatively, then erupts into a wild, uninhibited dance, yanking his guitar player around the stage by his ponytail and spitting beer onto the crowd. Unlike his harsh, aggressive music and dramatic stage performance, Trent Reznor-a little over five feet tall with long jet black hair, shaved on both sides, wearing a hoop earing and black combat boots-is, in person, a bit shy, a bit melancholy. "I'm not the cool rock guy who has a motorcycle,"he says. Although, for fun he does ride a mountain bike.

"I was raised by my grandparents, the greatest people in the world," says Trent. "I try to tell them,"You're not going to hear my music on the radio. I'm not going to be on soap operas singing this." I can imagine what my grandfather tells people: "It's called Nine Inch Nails-here's the video. And here he is lying dead at the end of it." I warned my grandfather that the church might be after him."

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

Rageaholic posted:

Trent Reznor and Atticus Ross with George Lucas and Ken Burns at GQ Creativity Awards.

Photo credit: Dimitrios Kambouris/Getty Images

goat talk

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

MassRafTer posted:

So after listening to With Teeth this weekend I thought "pretty good album, the weak songs are still week but half of it is really good" I put on The Fragile this morning and man, With Teeth just can't compare to that. Challengers [MIXED] sounds awesome on the sound system in my new car but this is next level. I've been listening to a bunch of techno and industrial this week to feel it out and I could definitely feel this one.

The Fragile was the last great rock double album is probably why