Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ballgameover.mp3
Oct 21, 2008
Well, NIN headlines Lollapalooza Brazil, along with Soundgarden. Maybe we'll finally get to see a Chris Cornell T-Rez throwdown.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ballgameover.mp3
Oct 21, 2008
Well, I think it's pretty obvious that Trent's lyrics are not so great, but I think that's part of the point of NIN. I think it's meant to be confessional, unpolished, bedroom-diary writing that's heavy on the emotion. In that context, sloppy and heavy-handed phrasing make a lot of sense.

ballgameover.mp3
Oct 21, 2008

Paper Jam Dipper posted:

It's also for rhyming. A big reason Nine Inch Nails made it big over other industrial acts (aside from pure talent) is that Trent conformed to verse-chorus-verse which made it really easy to listen, understand and repeat. When you grow up listening to KISS you get at least a little understanding in how important it is to have something people want to repeat.

Yeah, that's true. Trent's adherence to pop structure is definitely a huge factor in the success of NIN.

ballgameover.mp3
Oct 21, 2008
It should be mentioned that it isn't necessarily fair to assume that other industrial artists can't write a decent pop tune. I think that a lot of the initial industrial bands like Throbbing Gristle, Cabaret Voltaire, etc. really wanted to expand outside of the traditional musical forms, continuing traditions from John Cage, Edgard Varèse and other avant-garde musicians, as well as more contemporary musicians like Zappa who were on the weirder and more experimental side. There's no reason to believe that they didn't necessarily have know-how with regards to traditional pop music forms, as well.

ballgameover.mp3
Oct 21, 2008
Andrew Youssef died Saturday. Thought you folks might want to know.

ballgameover.mp3
Oct 21, 2008
His new album sounds pretty NIN. Moreso than his other recent albums. I think it's cool, but kind of weird. I love the old Gary Numan stuff, until that point where his albums got pretty bad, but then seeing him turn his music into something like NIN is a bit weird for me. Oh, well. Anyone ever see this before? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=shOc-5FxA3g

ballgameover.mp3
Oct 21, 2008
Well, there's this new NIN remix EP: https://twitter.com/nineinchnails/status/425681999047561216

Which I can't get, because none of my mobile devices are compatible with the Beats Music app, which awesomely can only be installed on mobile devices, and not on computers at all.

ballgameover.mp3
Oct 21, 2008
Apparently it does work on computers, it's just currently hosed due to the initial surge of users.
Also, this:

ballgameover.mp3
Oct 21, 2008

LoudLoudNoise posted:

The website, while it has its own problems, is perfectly capable of playing the EP.

yeah, i guess it's just overloaded first day. All I get is a blank screen with {"status":"OK"} on it.

ballgameover.mp3
Oct 21, 2008
Well, today I'm getting this error when I try to login to Beatsmusic: {"message":"TokenGrant uuid not found"}
so...progress?

ballgameover.mp3
Oct 21, 2008
I still haven't gotten the drat thing to work. I'm getting emails about having preregistered a name, etc. The site still doesn't pop anything up for me other than a blank white screen with some tiny chunk of code on it, or one of the many screens telling me to download BeatsMusic for my Android or Apple device (Windows coming soon) which I do not have a current enough version of either to use. Ther still isn't a page I can get to where I can just give them my money and get the service. That "Just For You" page that I've seen screenshots of simply doesn't ever appear. The whole thing doesn't work at all on any of my computers, and I've really been looking forward to it.

ballgameover.mp3
Oct 21, 2008
Yeah, the way I choose to see it is that Trent is aware of how horrible the movies are. They are, in fact, so boring and devoid of effort that it is way more worthwhile to see the trailers than the actual films themselves. So, these trailers use Trent's music, for he gets paid, and the songs don't make it into the lovely films themselves.
But I have no basis for that belief. It just makes sense in my head.

ballgameover.mp3
Oct 21, 2008

TheJoker138 posted:

Counterpoint: Guardians of the Galaxy looks loving great.

Well, to each their own, but I bet it's as cookie-cutter as everything else Marvel puts out. Look at those characters, how is that not totally identical to every other team of super-powered whatevers: small feisty comic relief-ish character who is cute, but will completely unsurprisingly kick rear end when the chips are down. Sexy love interest/kidnap victim. Chewbacca/brawny minority character. Inhuman sort of robotic character, except he's a loving tree. And, oh my god...is that an edgy handsome white male character? I wonder if he's the central character.

Comic books have really evolved to become complex and subtle mediums for intricate stories, and though I don't read them much anymore, I'd never waste my time on a comic book movie ever again. These dynamics haven't progressed at all for decades, and I'm sure I could get the 10-15 minutes they spend on character development between the flashy graphics, tits, and explosions just by talking to someone who watches the drat thing.

There should be a Charlie Brooker series dedicated to U.S. cinema, "Asswipe."

But like I said, your opinion's just as valid for you.

ballgameover.mp3
Oct 21, 2008
I mean, it just gets to be too much of the same for me. Sorry, didn't mean to poo poo all over it, it just gets a bit dull for me.

ballgameover.mp3
Oct 21, 2008

Sir Lemming posted:

Movie trailers are an art form in themselves. I see no shame in having your music used in a really well-done movie trailer even if the movie ends up being lame. Unless there's something particularly morally reprehensible about the movie it advertises, I suppose.

Yeah, for sure. They are often way more fulfilling - Terminator: Whatever The Last One Was Called had a remix of TDTWWA in it, and the trailer was great. Like, I loved that trailer. The movie was utter poo poo, though. The only good parts in the movie were in the trailer. I mean, literally, the only parts I enjoyed were the parts that were in it. I'd watch action movie trailers with NIN in them all day long. Although it's worth mentioning that even in this distilled form, trailers get lazy. It's only recently that people have chilled a bit on using that Inception trailer thing. You know: braaamt..."in a world where something something something,"...Braaaaamt..."Matt Damon is still acting in movies,"...Braaaaaaammmmmmttt..."such as this one,"...BRAAAAAAAAAAAAMMMMMTTT...information about seeing this movie at some point during some year in theaters near you.

BRAAAAAAAAAAAMMMMMMMTTTTTTT

"Movie title voiceover and graphic. This film is not yet rated."

Like, that's not my opinion. There have been a ridiculous amount of movie trailers using that exact formula since Inception came out. So...maybe I'll just stick to listening to NIN and reading the comics on my computer.

Edit: ^^^^ Word.

ballgameover.mp3 fucked around with this message at 21:32 on Feb 20, 2014

ballgameover.mp3
Oct 21, 2008
Sanctified? Is that two-note slap/funk bass commonality at the beginning of the bass line what you're getting at?

Of course, we all remember Trent's Jerry phase (total ripoff): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_V2sBURgUBI

ballgameover.mp3 fucked around with this message at 01:03 on Feb 22, 2014

ballgameover.mp3
Oct 21, 2008
Well...I think he probably did to an extent, but that's how it works. I was just being a smartass above - I hope that came through. But, you know, you get so into music that you see yourself making something as amazing as what influenced you. You obsessively watch their interviews, go to every show you can, listen to every second of their albums so you can get their tricks down just right. It tends to rub off. I don't think that's the same as being a rip-off, though. There are definitely people who are utter hacks and try only to emulate the aspects of artists that make them money. It's a subjective distinction, certainly, but I tend to think that Trent is genuine. A bit nicked here or there isn't such a problem. The guy doesn't exactly seem to be lacking for envelope-pushing original content.

ballgameover.mp3
Oct 21, 2008
Here's a thing that's apparently occurring: http://www.theprp.com/2014/03/06/news/soundgarden-and-nine-inch-nails-reportedly-planning-august-dallas-tx-show/

NIN and Soundgaredn playing the same bill? That sounds like a disaster waiting to happen. I wonder whose clout is greater.

ballgameover.mp3
Oct 21, 2008

TOOT BOOT posted:

Didn't Trent completely poo poo on Chris Cornell publicly at some point?

Many times, and generally correctly so. Also, here's this :http://www.antiquiet.com/music/2014/03/nin-soundgarden-tour-dates-nine-inch-nails/

Hey, does anyone know anything about this 20th Anniversary Special Edition thing on Amazon: http://www.amazon.com/NIN-Nine-Inch-Nails-Anniversary/dp/B0014JGFIC

Trent hasn't plugged it, and I don't see it on nin.com, so...?

ballgameover.mp3 fucked around with this message at 22:03 on Mar 8, 2014

ballgameover.mp3
Oct 21, 2008

Platypus Farm posted:

I can almost promise you without any prior knowledge, that dvd is just a burned disc of the wave goodbye tour.

Yeah, it looks like a piece of poo poo. I don't think there was an image when I first posted it.

ballgameover.mp3
Oct 21, 2008
Ok, this has to be one of the best NIN covers I have ever heard: http://www.lowerfrequencies.com/2014/03/superhumanoids-march-of-the-pigs/

ballgameover.mp3
Oct 21, 2008
Well, here's confirmation of the tour: http://imgur.com/eOMO1AO

They're skipping WA completely, which sucks. I missed this tour, because the loving moron girl who was taking me bought tickets from an online scalper. Not even tickets - she bought a copy of a receipt from someone online. That's all she had when we got to the venue in Seattle, a printout of a receipt with someone else's name on it.

ballgameover.mp3
Oct 21, 2008
Wow, that second half. Trying to burn some calories?

ballgameover.mp3
Oct 21, 2008
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A4411PgkkPQ

Thought you might also enjoy this other Mark Mothersbaugh contribution.

ballgameover.mp3
Oct 21, 2008
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KRKsF17wY30

Found a familiar logo in Marilyn Manson's least awful single in 10+ years. I know there's know way, but my heart sinks at the thought of collaboration.

ballgameover.mp3
Oct 21, 2008
Lead single off of his new 7-track album: 7EVEИ Day Binge

Tracklisting:
1. First Day of a Seven Day Binge
2. Second Day of a Seven Day Binge
3. Third Day of a Seven Day Binge
4. Fourth Day of a Seven Day Binge
5. Fifth Day of a Seven Day Binge
6. Sixth Day of a Seven Day Binge
7. Seventh Day of a Seven Day Binge

(Bonus track: Mechanical Whorefuck ft. Chris Brown)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ballgameover.mp3
Oct 21, 2008

Mishaco posted:

Who all are in the photo?

Hey, what's up, Misha? Definitely Trent Reznor, Mariqueen, Richard Patrick are present. Looks like also Trent Vanegas...maybe Eric Avery? and that's all I know.

Edit: Also, looks like Rob taking the picture + Tamar Levine on the left? Idk. People are old and making faces.

ballgameover.mp3 fucked around with this message at 21:18 on Nov 1, 2014