Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sleepwalkers
Dec 7, 2008

Sai-kun posted:

All The Love In The World

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E0saQeqIx_o

loving. Awesome. Probably in my top 3 favorite songs on Awitha_Teethuh. The piano/drum breakdown always puts a smile on my face, it's great.
Holy poo poo. :aaaaa:

The NIN show I went to was the first one where I walked out saying "man, I'm really disappointed {:v:) I didn't hear more of the new stuff!" I would loving kill to hear ATLITW or Various Methods of Escape.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sleepwalkers
Dec 7, 2008

I saw them on a tour stop near the start of the tour, and I feel like some of the visual setups are different than when I saw (Came Back Haunted specifically). I guess it'd make sense after watching the second part of that tour special, but I'm not sure if I'm going crazy or if perhaps some of it just wasn't finished by the time they started (or changed during the tour).

Edit: Also holy poo poo, the Sunspots blender makes an appearance at the end of Sanctified! That's awesome!
Double edit: IN TWO IS BITCHIN' LIVE.

sleepwalkers fucked around with this message at 18:40 on Dec 5, 2013

sleepwalkers
Dec 7, 2008

IUG posted:

Yeah, the site that broke it to me also pointed out that Trent deleted that message on Twitter:
https://twitter.com/antiquiet/status/425680703301238784

Was that before or after both he and Mariqueen shut down their accounts and stayed out of social media for a bit?

sleepwalkers
Dec 7, 2008

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

Oh, I thought radio is what we were talking about :v:

If I want full albums on the go, I'll listen to my iPod. While it would be pretty cool to have lots of full albums available to stream on my iPhone, I don't think it's cool enough to pay every month for that when I have a solution for that already that works perfectly fine for me and doesn't cost me a monthly fee.

If you're obtaining new music every month/week/day/whatever, you're going to be paying money, unless you're just pirating it all. The difference is whether obtaining a small amount of music permanently or a large amount of music temporarily is the preferable option for $x/mo.

sleepwalkers
Dec 7, 2008

Yeah, I'm actually pretty impressed with it so far for something Beats branded. The Mad Libs style curation is working shockingly well for me so far, although there's been some instability with the app. It seems like a pretty nice balance between Spotify's social focus and Rdio's library management.

sleepwalkers
Dec 7, 2008

ballgameover.mp3 posted:

Well, today I'm getting this error when I try to login to Beatsmusic: {"message":"TokenGrant uuid not found"}
so...progress?

Yeah, I think they've been having login issues all day. It forgot who I was then promptly crashed, and I haven't been able to log back in.

sleepwalkers
Dec 7, 2008

ballgameover.mp3 posted:

Yeah, the way I choose to see it is that Trent is aware of how horrible the movies are. They are, in fact, so boring and devoid of effort that it is way more worthwhile to see the trailers than the actual films themselves. So, these trailers use Trent's music, for he gets paid, and the songs don't make it into the lovely films themselves.
But I have no basis for that belief. It just makes sense in my head.

Does he even have the say over that, or does the record company? I mean, obviously he has the final say over stuff from The Slip, etc, but things released through a major label?

sleepwalkers
Dec 7, 2008

magiccarpet posted:

I really wish I knew what kind of tour he was going for on this one. I doubt the laser spectac-ular.

Not a chance. They're playing at DTE in Michigan, and there's no way they'll fit that stage setup there, plus it's an outdoor venue.

Hopefully I don't have to watch them in the daylight like I did last time because they ceded the late slot to Jane's.

sleepwalkers
Dec 7, 2008

I cannot overstate how awesome it is to have Pino performing live. He makes that bassline sound so sexy.

sleepwalkers
Dec 7, 2008

The Cleaner posted:

While I don't think it's a "bad" song, it just doesn't sound dark or unique. You could easily replace it with any Top-40 pop-rocker singing it and who would know it was even an nin song. Also:

http://youtu.be/xaWe_4AaH8Y

When you have fan videos of the song with Pikachu, Kermit The Frog, and puppy dogs, and it works...

The idea that it's a "top-40 pop rock" song is dumb, but even then, is that not what Head Like A Hole and Closer were? It's the brightest song on the album, but that doesn't make it poppy, especially with the guitar mess that is the chorus. It's supposed to sound light until you actually pay attention to it.

sleepwalkers
Dec 7, 2008

He's also posted a video of he and Atticus doing some recording for Gone Girl. Not sure if it's been posted anywhere else, but I hadn't seen it before.

Quote-Unquote posted:

more edit: Apple music asks me to choose my favourite genres and decades, I choose 60s, 70s, 80s and 90s blues, jazz, rock and alternative and it comes up with a page asking to pick my favourite artists out of Whitney Houston, Spice Girls, Backstreet Boys and Limp Bizkit. Great stuff.
I dunno if you ended up figuring it out, but it does mention you can dismiss artists by holding their bubbles (you can also go back and redo that if you didn't). Also the suggestions get much, much better as you tell it artists and songs you like, so heart stuff.

sleepwalkers fucked around with this message at 16:38 on Jul 12, 2015

sleepwalkers
Dec 7, 2008

It was really a poor way to show off Connect, considering since it's not technically listed on the store so my phone refuses to download it for offline listening.

sleepwalkers
Dec 7, 2008

empty baggie posted:

Yep. Add it to your library, and then you will have the option to make available for offline use. I just did, so I can confirm it works. You probably have to have an Apple Music subscription though.

Same with iTunes. If it's in your Apple Music library, you can download it to your computer.

Yeah, when I do that and then tap "Make Available for Offline" the tracks just sit in a queue and never download and it's persisted across multiple restores. I can listen to them just fine, but it would never actually download. That'd suck if it was somehow only happening to me, or perhaps it was an issue that's been fixed now. I'll try when I get home tonight.

I always assumed it was an issue because the tracks themselves aren't associated with an album or available anywhere on Apple Music or the store aside from those playlists which you can only see from the Nine Inch Nails Connect thingy.

sleepwalkers fucked around with this message at 17:15 on Nov 9, 2015

sleepwalkers
Dec 7, 2008

I mean, they're fine and all, but didn't love their set. Was mostly disappointed it ended up meaning NIN was both time constrained and played in the daylight in Michigan.

sleepwalkers
Dec 7, 2008

He's also been an Apple mark for decades, so it's not terribly surprising that he'd jump at the opportunity to work on an Apple thing. It's totally fine if someone wants to think he's a sellout or whatever, but it always seemed to me like his involvement in that was an overly-optimistic idea that he can change the system from the inside.

Call Me Charlie posted:

Do artists get paid better? No.
They do. One of the biggest differences is that everyone using Apple Music is paying $10/mo, that's not necessarily the case with Spotify.

sleepwalkers
Dec 7, 2008

All NIN albums are being rereleased on vinyl, along with the Natural Born Killers soundtrack.

Also, there's this:

sleepwalkers
Dec 7, 2008

Stryder posted:

I just read the news on Rolling Stone (shut up, I'm old) and expected everyone here to have found it already. What's also mentioned in the article though:

http://www.rollingstone.com/music/news/nine-inch-nails-detail-not-the-actual-events-ep-w456483

Those re-releases are already up on the store, if anyone's interested in picking those up.

There seems to be some confusion as to what all is getting released, but:
- New EP, digital/vinyl/streaming to be released 12/23. There is a digital release with a "physical component" to it, but there are not details on what that is.
- A reimagined version of The Fragile consisting of instrumentals and heretofore unreleased material (taking into account the unreleased material from The Fragile instrumental on Apple Music) on vinyl only, shipping in March.
- Vinyl reissues/remasters of studio albums, including The Fragile, starting now and rolling out slowly. The Natural Born Killers soundtrack is also part of this.

Interestingly, a lot of The Fragile and all of the With Teeth instrumentals released on Apple Music have been taken down.

sleepwalkers
Dec 7, 2008

Sir Lemming posted:

Currently they're both accessible, but for a few days I was only able to load store.nin.com from my phone (when I turned off WiFi) for some reason.

store.nin.com is run separately from the main site, so you should always be able to get to the store even if the main site is down. They might've been getting hammered from the news.

sleepwalkers
Dec 7, 2008

Sir Lemming posted:

Oh I know, it's just strange that I could only access it off my home network. Some weird DNS glitch I guess. It's okay now though.

D'oh, I totally skipped over that part of your post. Yeah, that is weird.

sleepwalkers
Dec 7, 2008

Leon Einstein posted:

I'll need a few more listens to digest this, but it's not grabbing me immediately.

Is it different from your expectations, is it just not your thing, or do you think it's just... not good?

\/\/\/\/
Oh yeah, I'm not trying to argue about it or invalidate your opinion or anything. I've only listened to the one track linked in here and dug it, just wondering. :)

sleepwalkers fucked around with this message at 15:18 on Dec 22, 2016

sleepwalkers
Dec 7, 2008

Didn't they just have their fourth kid or something?

The Kins posted:

It's a free stream. It should be at the top of the "Radio" tab in both the iOS music app and the iTunes desktop app's "Music" section. Should be similar through the Apple Music Android app, but I don't have one of those devices so I can't check.
Where'd you see this? I'm hoping to check it out whenever it goes up (any minute now, apparently) but I hadn't read anything about this beforehand.

sleepwalkers fucked around with this message at 17:05 on Dec 22, 2016

sleepwalkers
Dec 7, 2008

BANME.sh posted:

So uh, did everyone else's digital copy come with the artwork for Still?

I'm assuming that's intentional rather than just lazy repurposing of existing artwork.

e: Does She's Gone Away remind anyone of The Fragile (the song, not the album) a bit?

sleepwalkers
Dec 7, 2008

7zip will unzip Deviations despite some of the files still having errors... LAME errors out on most of the tracks 'cause it's not able to recognize them as wav files... Anyone have success in converting them yet?

e: Most of the Deviations wavs aren't listenable, either.

Double edit: Turns out either my zip file or 7zip wasn't working correctly. I managed to extract listenable versions of the Deviations tracks from WinRAR.

sleepwalkers fucked around with this message at 19:21 on Dec 23, 2016

sleepwalkers
Dec 7, 2008

Call Me Charlie posted:

Just popping in to say that vinyl can suck my dick forever and he'll never drag me back from the awesome future of saying a song title and having it automatically play. Artwork and intentions be damned.

(all that said, the new ep is interesting so i'm excited for the new album)

There's nothing being released that isn't also digital. I already have Deviations converted to MP3 and stored in THE CLOUD for iTunes streaming.

sleepwalkers
Dec 7, 2008

I'd be shocked if a digital-only, surprise release EP from Nine Inch Nails would've knocked a Pentatonix Christmas album from the #1 spot...

E: also, wasn't releasing on Thursday supposed to be a make-good for the Deviations files not being ready to go? And I know it's not strictly digital only, but vinyl and "physical component" aren't big enough in my mind to contribute in any meaningful way to charting.

sleepwalkers
Dec 7, 2008

Caseman posted:

Look don't destroy my dream of a NIN #1 debut. We havn't had once since W_T. Nothing else came out this week either, would've been a perfect spot for it except people can't stop buying making GBS threads Christmas albums.

Who cares if people enjoy Christmas albums? I don't give a flying gently caress about Pentatonix or Christmas music, but no point in running down people who do.
Also, charting has been rendered increasingly irrelevant in the intervening years as its become easier to hide in a rabbit hole of personal taste and "top 40" has become such a weird thing.

sleepwalkers
Dec 7, 2008

Al Cu Ad Solte posted:

Trent's nahs and vocal synths are as important instruments as the guitars and everything else :allears:

He also left the affected vocal that fades in to the first word on Underneath it All, which is the only bit of vocals left in that's actually jarring.

sleepwalkers
Dec 7, 2008

Am I crazy for thinking the Not the Actual Events artwork looks like the art for Bleedthrough before it became With Teeth? I don't know if he's really said anything about it, but I've been getting the impression this is supposed to be like, "here's what NIN could've been if I never actually kicked the habit(s)." Would make sense, at least to me, having this come out combined with revisiting The Fragile.

sleepwalkers
Dec 7, 2008

Entropic posted:

But this is just :effort:

I dunno, he's stripped back a layer of The Fragile, so he uses the cover image without the red/orange image overlayed. Makes sense to me.

sleepwalkers
Dec 7, 2008

Earwicker posted:

that said it does seem weird to order an "album" and get an envelope with some piece of paper and some dust, even if you've already heard the digital version
It was communicated clearly that it was a "physical component" and not a CD, so I dunno, it doesn't seem that weird.

Anyone get the NIN logo zip-up hoodie? How'd sizing work for y'all?

sleepwalkers
Dec 7, 2008

sleepwalkers
Dec 7, 2008

For anyone nearby, Riot Fest tickets are $180 for all three days at the moment, and I think it's an awesome deal for the lineup, personally. If you're tight on money, I believe they have an option to pay tickets off in a couple chunks, as well.

sleepwalkers
Dec 7, 2008

Yeah, the CD version with the tracks on the same disc came after the mini CD version, and had tracks... what, 7 - 97 as one second long sliences and the two tracks as 98 and 99?

magiccarpet posted:

it was a miniDisc you format-confusing pigs
Uh EXCUSE ME it was a Mini CD, not a MD!! I am literally shaking as I type this!!!

sleepwalkers fucked around with this message at 15:10 on Jun 7, 2017

sleepwalkers
Dec 7, 2008

I had someone give me a copy of THE ANARCHIST'S COOKBOOK on one of those cut-off Mini CDs when I was a wee lad, and I thought it was the coolest thing in the world.

sleepwalkers
Dec 7, 2008

I really, really like this.

sleepwalkers
Dec 7, 2008

Call Me Charlie posted:

That's probably why it's ringing so hollow to me. As if, Ms. 'We Came, We Saw, He Died. Hehehe' wouldn't have had missile trails across the sky shortly after getting sworn in or that it's somehow lower/middle america's fault that they were presented with a terrible set of choices.
Not to get too far down the political rabbit hole (I don't want this to turn into a D&D thread or anything), but there is no serious comparison you can make between Trump and an underwhelming, overly hawkish "establishment stooge" candidate (which is probably the most common negative view of Clinton's candidacy). If it rings hollow to you, that's fine, but there's definitely a reason to write politically-charged music inspired by likely the most bizarre campaign and candidate to seriously run for President in the US.

quote:

(also, combining eps into a single album is basically what he did for htda and that sucked so i'm not looking forward to the lp unless it's drastically reworked)
Maybe it's just confirmation bias, but I feel like I see more artists that I listen to releasing EPs or like, a third of an album as singles before it comes out than I have in the past. It's weird, and kinda lessens the fun of diving into an album for the first time when I've already heard four of the tracks. Streaming music has done weird things to the industry.

sleepwalkers
Dec 7, 2008

Listening to the whole thing in order at the moment. The Lovers sounds a bit like The Fragile's more natural sounding guitar and piano had a baby with Year Zero, I think?

e: Anyone here going to the show tonight?

ee: There are so many references to Trent's other work I could almost see this unifying a big chunk of it and bringing it into the YZ universe...

sleepwalkers fucked around with this message at 00:21 on Jul 20, 2017

sleepwalkers
Dec 7, 2008

The Background World's ending doesn't really make for good listening, but it's obviously meant to be thematic more than melodic, so I can forgive it. It's obviously not an accident that it's repeating over and over and over, the distinct loop slowly turning into featureless audio mush.

sleepwalkers
Dec 7, 2008

polyester concept posted:

I've been wondering too - has Trent parted ways with Rob Sheridan? He was such an integral part of NIN's presence (heh) for such a long time but I don't think he's been involved at all since before Hesitation Marks.

He was a part of HTDA and their tour later in 2013 after Hesitation Marks was released.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sleepwalkers
Dec 7, 2008

The REAL Goobusters posted:

Same. I sent the support an email about that wondering if they had any ETA or what was even happening and basically they gave out the tracking number as soon as they got them to everyone.

I was in the same boat 'til mine actually shipped yesterday, guessing it's just taking forever to get everything out. Took forever for everything else, so whatever.