Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
I'm irrationally curious about the "physical component" but it seems destined to cause confusion as a Christmas gift.

"What is it?"
"Well it's, it's... it's a major award!"

I'll stick with Fragilé for now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

Vince MechMahon posted:

Any vinyl that doesn't come with a high quality digital version is doing it wrong, because yes, it is impractical. Also yes, I can see why flipping would be annoying if you were doing other things away from the player at the time. The sound quality is heavily reliant on your player and speakers, so because you get a free player that then needed service, my guess is it's somewhere on that end, not the format itself. I've never once had to do any cleaning or maintenance on my player, and unless you're leaving the records themselves out where they can get covered in dust they don't really need much done to them either, maybe a quick dusting if you're noticing an impact on them. They are expensive in a lot of cases though, yeah, but they're a prestige collectors thing. Basically if should be for stuff you love and want to have a big rear end version of the art work for.

Basically this. CDs are unnecessarily restrictive compared to high-quality lossless audio files, which can far exceed the 44KHz 16-bit limit that was state-of-the-art for digital audio in the '80s, but not so much now. (Not that you're likely to hear much of a difference, but that's a tired digression.) In the early days of monetized downloadable music, I always preferred CDs because they were lossless and therefore the highest quality possible. But now that some artists are releasing 96KHz lossless digital downloads, CDs are no longer the audiophile's dream format. But I still like physical products. And vinyls look way cooler than CDs. So if I'm gonna insist on a physical product, might as well go all the way. It is indeed massively impractical, but it's impractical in kind of a cool, fun way. And as long as a digital download is offered with it, it's a win-win, because it's not like I ever actually listen to CDs anymore.

And of course there's all the audiophile stuff about how technically vinyl is analog and that's always theoretically better than digital. And how it's basically impossible to "brickwall" a vinyl master (for fear of ruining the needle) so occasionally a vinyl master is actually better than the digital one. But these are things that don't always necessarily make any perceptible difference, especially since almost everything goes through a digital process before it gets anywhere near the vinyl anyway.

Sir Lemming fucked around with this message at 13:20 on Dec 19, 2016

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

1000 umbrellas posted:

Is the site down for anyone else? Since having read about the reissues on here, I haven't been able to load either nin.com or store.nin.com.

Currently they're both accessible, but for a few days I was only able to load store.nin.com from my phone (when I turned off WiFi) for some reason.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

sleepwalkers posted:

store.nin.com is run separately from the main site, so you should always be able to get to the store even if the main site is down. They might've been getting hammered from the news.

Oh I know, it's just strange that I could only access it off my home network. Some weird DNS glitch I guess. It's okay now though.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

echronorian posted:

So is he getting a divorce orrrr

Don't worry, it's Not The Actual Events

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
Haha, I was really stoked to download the Deviations tracks today, especially because my holiday travel schedule changed and I had an extra day to do it. Well-played, Rezzo.

I'm not planning on getting the new EP until January when I can better afford the vinyl (assuming the "physical component" is sold out by then) but "Burning Bright" is way interesting, definitely didn't expect anything like that. I was assuming more Trent & Atticus playing on their laptop. This is probably the biggest stylistic shift NIN has done since Year Zero.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
I like the buried vocals, more bands should be doing that IMO. For example, listen to anything Metallica's put out in the last decade. I don't need to hear every nuance, breath, and inflection of James Hetfield's singing voice twice as loud as the rest of the music. It sounds unnatural. Not that the vocal mix has ever sounded unnatural on a NIN album, really -- it just happens to be something I'm a fan of.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
FLAC actually includes metadata and is slightly compressed (in terms of file structure, not audio). WAV is just totally raw, more or less.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

TOOT BOOT posted:

I hope there's eventually a version of the Fragile that has vocal versions of the new tracks if any exist. The March in particular seems like it may have had vocals.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LAQZOvuAmz8

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
To me, Not The Actual Events seems to be motivated more by current events than primarily a musical or personal statement. More Year Zero and less Hesitation Marks. It's not as overt as YZ obviously; and of course, it can be both. The fact that one version of the download re-uses the Still artwork is a bit of a head-scratcher though. Because for the most part it doesn't feel like he's trying to be clever or self-referential; it feels more urgent than that.

"Dear World" is the song that seems to have the clearest "meaning" -- a meditation on the social media age. "Pictures and faces on display, people who aren't here all the way." "The Idea Of You" and "Burning Bright (Field On Fire)" could also be social commentary, even though (much like YZ) they are also partially introspective, commenting more on the general human condition rather than naming names (even though maybe someday he'll perform them with a picture of Trump in the background). "The Idea Of You" sounds like a big gaslighting session -- somebody repeatedly insisting that something didn't happen, or it didn't happen a certain way, until the truth is distorted and nobody knows what to believe anymore. Which can be a statement on interpersonal relationships and social media, but also political campaigns. And the apocalyptic "Burning Bright" sounds like what some would describe as the death of "political correctness" -- basically, I'm tired of playing nice, not holding back anymore, and I feel that I'm entitled, even obligated -- "forgiven" and "free" -- to do so. Which sounds an awful lot like "Let It Go" when I put it that way, but... well, maybe we're seeing the downside of that same attitude.

Just one interpretation of course. The lyrics are some of the least obvious Trent's written in a long time, which is cool. Still not really sure what "She's Gone Away" is about.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

Leon Einstein posted:

Was It Worth It is amazing, and I wish we got more tracks like that instead of poo poo like White Mask.

So, was it worth it?

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

TOOT BOOT posted:

I hope there's eventually a version of the Fragile that has vocal versions of the new tracks if any exist. The March in particular seems like it may have had vocals.

Bringing up an old post, but it occurred to me recently that maybe "The March" was a germ of what eventually became "And All That Could Have Been". Obviously in its final form, the mood of the verses is very different, but there's still some similar percussion there, and the chorus is obviously pretty similar too. Given the timeline of AATCHB, I think it's a feasible theory.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
I've always loved the music for "Where Is Everybody" even though the lyrics aren't too good.

"Somewhat Damaged" is pretty compelling as an instrumental too. Aside from the fact that there's some extra stuff at the end. There's enough going on instrumentally that it doesn't sound conspicuously empty (like "We're In This Together" does). I also found "The Great Below" very striking -- the arrangement in the chorus is just so lush.

Not that the idea of this release is to be better than the original, of course. Just different.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
He hasn't released multitracks for anything on Hesitation Marks, so maybe he's not into it anymore. Or he's just too busy doing a million soundtracks and whatever he does for Apple.

I think the last thing he released multitracks for was How To Destroy Angels "A Drowning".

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

TOOT BOOT posted:

Maybe we'll get lucky and get YZ2 but I kinda doubt it because Trent has probably lost interest.

2016 was Year Zero 2, we just didn't realize it.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
So, people are starting to get their NTAE "physical components". Here are a few photo albums I've found via NIN Hotline / Echoing The Sound:

https://photos.google.com/share/AF1...GJ2QzlzZ3dqYXhR
https://imgur.com/a/XAbNB

Basically looks like an envelope with postcards, and a lot of black dust. Though I'm hearing there are variations.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
It's good that you're not a collector -- because things, well, things...

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

Spatulater bro! posted:

Wait, so there's no CD for NtAE?

It'd be a downgrade in quality from the high-bitrate lossless digital version, so it doesn't make much sense to do it.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

BANME.sh posted:

By this logic the vinyl should not exist either

Not really. Vinyl is analog, so lossless and technically bit-less. CD is digital but lower fidelity. The main benefit is having liner notes, which the "physical component" provides.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

BANME.sh posted:

There are ways to directly compare analog and digital recordings. Digital bit depth is equivalent to the noise floor or "hiss" of an analog sample and you can at most extract the equivalent of a ~12 bit recording from a record. Not to mention that CDs have demonstrably higher dynamic range than vinyl. Not sure what metric you are using to say CDs are "lower fidelity", but it's simply not true.

Sorry, I meant lower fidelity than the digital downloads. I don't pretend any vinyl sounds demonstrably better than CDs, as in fact there are many factors that often make it sound worse. But in the digital world, more numbers = more better no matter how you slice it. If I can get lossless digital and some kind of physical thing to go along with it, doesn't matter much to me whether it's a CD or not.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

david_a posted:

Nope. Stuff like 24bit/192KHz is useful during the recording/mixing process but for playback good ol' 16bit/44.1KHz is better.

But Trent wouldn't lie to us!

In all seriousness, that's pretty interesting. But outside the whole 192Khz idea (which sounds like overkill), 48 & 96 are standard for DVDs and blurays, right?

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
I mean, I'm not trying to say a CD version would sound like crap compared to the higher resolution version, just that it's unnecessary. At this point it places an arbitrary limit on the distribution and presentation. There are other, (possibly) better ways to distribute and listen to lossless digital audio, and NIN is using them.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

Earwicker posted:

that said it does seem weird to order an "album" and get an envelope with some piece of paper and some dust, even if you've already heard the digital version

Definitely. There's an interesting cognitive disconnect even though it's perfectly logical.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
Tone is important. The tone of NIN is pretty much always super serious. Led Zeppelin less so.

On this subject, I think the lyrics of NTAE are pretty much the best he's ever done. Very impressionistic and open to interpretation.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
Metallica is definitely in that same zone -- i.e., their lyrics are occasionally embarrassing, despite being a (pretty) good band overall. I guess the only difference is they occasionally make up for it by doing something obviously nerdy about Cthulhu or whatever, which is corny but a lot easier to enjoy than "I'M MADLY IN ANGER WITH YOU!"

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
Yeah I mean, "pre-Space Oddity" isn't saying much. But it's a fair point, PHM is really not the best measure of Reznor's talent.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
Bolt VanderHuge

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
Just read my email and hot drat :woop:

EDIT: So when is the first NIN concert this year? Some quick googling indicates July 21st. Unless what I'm seeing are not the actual events :v:

Sir Lemming fucked around with this message at 20:37 on Jun 5, 2017

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
Yeah. He tried to save the shelf date, but the shelf kept slipping away.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
Isn't he just calling all of the new reissues "definitive"? I guess they are newly remastered too, but I don't think he's promising any massive differences.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
1 Quake I
2 Quake I

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

My Twitter Account posted:

I assume to prevent people from cancelling their orders and re-buying them with the discount.

Ok, that does make perfect sense. Good catch.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
Just got my delivery confirmation too. (Although I forgot to change my address since I moved a few weeks ago.)

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

The REAL Goobusters posted:

Ah I confused his name withh their other drummer. Both start with a J :downs:

Well it wasn't that long ago. He left during the sessions for their last album and is still on a few of those tracks. Which is why some tracks have him, some have Dave Grohl, and one has John Theodore.

And we all know who else was on that album:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Xk0V_s-ThQ

( 1:23 and 3:40 )

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
Can I ask you something?

What did you expect?

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

@trent_reznor posted:

NEXT WEEK

https://twitter.com/trent_reznor/status/883359172930060288

:woop:

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
TR posted this picture of the Fragile vinyl on Instagram, and some people are speculating that the new EP is hiding behind it -- something black with a word that ends in "ENCE".

https://www.instagram.com/p/BWQtLi8ADRG/

Personally I'm not so sure, as it definitely looks like a shirt or something else printed on fabric; but then again, if it is a shirt, I have no idea what else in NIN-land it would be for. Maybe the new EP's physical component will be a shirt?

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
Maybe it's a PENCE T-shirt. Very unexpected, very impenetrable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
You throw black dust on the TRUMP/PENCE shirt in an artistic act of resistance.