Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
https://twitter.com/HIDEO_KOJIMA_EN/status/1745607946195857802

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
Also Kojima is kind of famous on Twitter (and, I mean, for other reasons too) for just randomly and matter-of-factly posting about whatever movie he is watching. And he also recently posted photos of himself with Jordan Peele, Guillermo del Toro and others. So it's anyone's guess whether it means anything.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

ytisomauq posted:

From the Early FPS Megathread. Some of these are really well done.

I still don't really "get it" but the improved intro to Mr. Self Destruct is really well done.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
(Tony Hawk) I think you owe me a great big apology

there's probably another skateboarder who fits the meter better, but how the hell would I know

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

IUG posted:

So NIN is just a merch label now, like Nirvana? Just slap the name on anything?

Meh, it's not like people don't still respect the hell out of Nirvana. I think it's fine as long as Trent himself doesn't start making lame posts about it

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

polyester concept posted:

I also got a weird Brazil release of Broken because I think it never actually got a retail release in the US?

I heard there's also a weird Chilean version of Broken where they changed the lyrics to "I have found you can find happiness in CERVEZA CRISTAL"

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
lol

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

Even Nietzsche wasn't exactly an atheist, he was more just questioning the need for a concept of god in today's society, and also critiquing Christians specifically. The above quote is pretty much in line with that philosophy.

(This is on top of the fact that people do in fact change, and songs aren't necessarily accurate statements of one's beliefs, especially on a concept album like TDS which explicitly ends with the death of its protagonist)

Sir Lemming fucked around with this message at 12:13 on Apr 6, 2024

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
Cool stuff. I wonder if there's another version coming eventually that isn't "MIXED" and is maybe longer or something.

Edit: Pitchfork seemingly confirms:

https://pitchfork.com/news/trent-reznor-atticus-ross-and-boys-noize-connect-for-new-challengers-mixed-album-listen/

quote:

Trent Reznor and Atticus Ross scored the new Luca Guadagnino movie Challengers. For now, the Nine Inch Nails musicians are not releasing their original score. Instead, they’ve shared Boys Noize’s mix of nine songs from the film, made to play like a continuous DJ set. Listen to the new album, fully titled Challengers [Mixed] by Boys Noize, below.

“It’s been a fun challenge to turn this into one fluid experience and take it even further by redesigning the tracks, creating new elements and changing certain parts—especially on ‘Compress / Repress,’ which turns super epic in the end,” Boys Noize said in a press statement. “Working with Trent and Atticus has been a dream come true; they’ve been so great and helpful during the entire process.”

Sir Lemming fucked around with this message at 17:33 on Apr 12, 2024

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
Don't forget the "The Vietnam War" soundtrack, which has about as many bangers as a Ken Burns documentary can conceivably have.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nMTFnZBiqVU

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dIBTsUzPrcQ

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
And the full version of the Challengers score drops this Friday!
https://www.indiewire.com/news/breaking-news/challengers-score-trent-reznor-atticus-ross-1234976507/

quote:

1. Challengers
  2. “I Know”
  3. Yeah x10
  4. L’oeuf
  5. The Signal
  6. Brutalizer
  7. Stopper
  8. Brutalizer 2
  9. The Points That Matter
  10. Lullaby
  11. Final Set
  12. Pull Over
  13. Friday Afternoons, Op. 7: A New Year Carol
  14. Friday Afternoons, Op. 7: A New Year Carol (Part 2)
  15. Challengers: Match Point
  16. Compress / Repress

Also...

quote:

The duo are also set to release a new Nine Inch Nails album, and further collaborate with Guadagnino for upcoming release “Queer.”

:monocle:

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
FYI if you're looking for the full Challengers score on YouTube Music, it's posted with no artist (other than "Release - Topic"), for Google Only Knows what reason.
https://music.youtube.com/playlist?list=OLAK5uy_l2miOcGwVu-TaCYh8I97XcY8iuiI35ouk&si=UlseDl0TLNmpMgsO

A bit surprised that it's only about 10 minutes longer than the "mixed" version and occasionally gets interrupted by sound clips. Not sure which version I prefer yet.

EDIT: Okay I was not expecting that choral piece.

EDIT 2: For those wondering, most of the mixes are indeed different between the 2 versions, including "Compress/Repress". The first few songs sound mostly the same but the later ones are more noticeable. More of a normal Reznor sound.

Sir Lemming fucked around with this message at 15:05 on Apr 26, 2024

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
I have no idea what a Fortnite Festival is or when it happened, but apparently you can get multitracks for March of the Pigs and Less Than from it. (Or from nindestruct.com for your convenience.)

https://twitter.com/Cageab1/status/1784605107268604410?t=__Fgh2g5ju8OxcEJJf14mA&s=19

MOTP was already available from Rock Band but not LT. The quality is also higher here, since RB had to contend with quite a bit more space limitations.

Perhaps more interestingly, MOTP includes a version of the "All the pigs, all lined up" coda that I don't think I've ever heard before. (Unfortunately it also completely mutes "take the skin and peel it back" because I guess that's considered too graphic.)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o2zjbxAOUNg

Maybe I'm the only one who missed this whenever it first came out, but in case I'm not, there it is.

EDIT: Found some more info on reddit by way of ETS:

quote:

According to a developer in a livestream:

"This is a studio recording of what they play live. It's the only recording that exists."

"Only to be found on [Fortnite Festival]."

"Remember the other day when I said Trent was a fan of the game?"

"[Trent Reznor] offered [to record the extended version]. He wanted to change songs for improved gameplay."

Sir Lemming fucked around with this message at 00:51 on Apr 29, 2024

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
WT has aged very well. It was kind of troubling at the time because it had been one of the longest waits for a NIN album and it felt like he was abandoning glitchy synths and going all-in on arena rock. I still think he should've changed up the style on a few songs to maybe give it some more variety, but overall it's a great listen.

I'll quote myself from the album's 16th birthday 3 years ago:

Sir Lemming posted:

This discussion made me want to listen through the album track by track again, so here goes.

All The Love In The World - I think this is still my favorite. Obviously you can't have a whole album of this kind of thing, exactly. But it's kind of the "Piggy" of this album.

You Know What You Are - And I think this is still my least favorite. Not unlike "Starfuckers", it's very very loud and angry but yet really kind of monotonous.

The Collector - People always dogged on the lyrics for this one, and I guess it sounds kind of silly sometimes ("I pick things up... I am a collector..."). But I still think it really rocks. The drum groove is just killer, and it has one of those tricky meters that fits NIN well. (A bit like "The Becoming", but inverted)

The Hand That Feeds - My opinion of this has basically stayed exactly the same for 16 years. It's a just-okay NIN buttrock song. These days, "Less Than" has pretty much completely replaced it in my mental playlist; it's the same thing but better.

Love Is Not Enough - This to me is one that needed a different production approach. Many have said the live version is better, which I think is mainly because of the cymbal crashes and other loud dynamics in the chorus. I think that would work, in conjunction with the verses having more intricate, glitchy synth percussion and maybe a slower feel.

Every Day Is Exactly The Same - I've always liked this one, but I prefer the slightly shorter alternate version Trent released on the NINRemix site. It flows better without as much repetition.

With Teeth - Pretty solid, but it falls into a similar category as "Love Is Not Enough" where I want it to have more of a dry studio synth sound and less "rock band" energy. I think that would benefit not only this song but also the album as a whole, which sounds a little samey when you listen all the way through.

Only - Straight-up friggin' banger.

Getting Smaller - Ditto. The only part I'm not crazy about is the bridge, sonically (the grungy little guitar starts to grate a little here) or lyrically ("believe / achieve"... maybe no lyrics at all would've been the better choice here. Guitar solo maybe? Why not?)

Sunspots - Another highlight, this is one of the lower-energy songs that I don't feel is hampered by the "rock" production in any way.

The Line Begins To Blur, Beside You In Time, Right Where It Belongs - I don't really have anything to say about these either, they're all really good and I wouldn't change a thing.

So yeah, the album definitely finishes really strong, and almost starts really strong except for track 2 that I'm not crazy about... Somewhere in the middle it could've used a few things. A few different sounds to mix things up a little. But still, a really strong album.

Sir Lemming fucked around with this message at 19:09 on May 3, 2024

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
I remember the early interview quotes about the album emphasized it being "monophonic" or something like that, like it wouldn't have chords or something? Which, unless I'm missing some music theory nerd thing, does not seem to have turned out to be the case at all.

I also remember some famous quote about it being "12 punches in the face".

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
Double albums always have an uphill battle critically. Even The Beatles didn't quite get away with it. Though in time, the ones that are pulled off well eventually get legendary status.

It's also really hard to follow up something as singular, focused, and experimental as TDS. There are some surface-level sonic similarities on TF, but overall he was doing something extremely different, which was a smart move. Because basically you don't follow up TDS. You kind of have to start from scratch. He wisely used his bigger budget while he had the freedom to, but he was also pretty much guaranteed to "fail" on some level.

In terms of a "perfect", "no fat" album, TDS wins. TF definitely is not that. But it's equally necessary and succeeds in a whole different way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
"Where Is Everybody" instrumental came on in my car this morning, after a recent speaker upgrade, and drat that beat slaps.