Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

Jesus, really? :stare:

Not even on Live: With Teeth or Performance 2007 or anything? That's surprising. I thought that was one of the singles from Awithuh Teethuh. Maybe not, but I remember hearing it on the radio at least a couple times.

Nope, never before, although according to NinWiki it was performed at some rehearsals. NinWiki is your friend. I'm constantly checking things on there because I'm a gigantic sperg when it comes to setlists for whatever reason.

Goddamn I would love to see All The Love In The World live. Then again I haven't even seen NIN live yet, so maybe I'll start with that first.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

Why are there so many people filming the Kimmel show with their phones? It's being filmed by a professional filming crew and will be broadcast on the loving TV as well as put on YouTube, you don't need to film it yourself with your goddamn lovely phone why are you doing this jesus loving christ :tizzy:

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

I don't remember which NIN thread it was, if it was the last one or the one before that, but does anybody have the McDonald's Fragile tracklist saved? I remember it started with Somewhat Hamaged.

If anyone finds it and posts it, it's going straight to the OP.

That was such good times that I just had to dig it up. It was in the Trent's drunk and, right now, he's so in love with you.. thread from 2010.

Here is the post you're after:

Sir Lemming posted:

I never miss an opportunity to join in on these things.

TOP BUN
Somewhat Hammaged
The Day The McRib Went Away*
The Fries
The Ketchup
We're In This Happy Meal Together
The McFragile*
Just Like You Ordered
Even Fatter (or: Even Beefier)
Picklegrimage (or: Pil-Grimace)
No, You Don't Deserve A Break Today
La Mayo
The Grease Below

BOTTOM BUN
The Take-Out Is Drive-Thru*
Into the Ballpit
Where Is The Hamburglar?
The Grill Mark Has Been Made
Cheese
Heartcloggers, Inc.
Complications Of The Heart
McI'mLookingForwardToJoiningYouFinally
The Big Mac Come Down*
Tender Beef It All
Ripe (With Fries)

*stolen because I can't think of anything better

I can't wait for the Super-Sized Edition to come out.

And here's the page where the NinDonalds thing happened

Same thread also brought us the baby versions of songs which are still the best things these threads have ever produced :colbert:

edit: I also really liked the time the thread briefly turned into a 1990s usenet thread

a cyborg mug fucked around with this message at 21:12 on Nov 19, 2013

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

loving hell they're doing Helsinki :woop: :woop: :woop: :woop: :woop: :woop: :woop: :woop: :woop:

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

It seems the tickets for the EU shows will be floating around the 40 - 50 € price point (£30 - £35 in the UK, 46 € for the show in Italy, which are the only EU shows where tickets are already available). I wonder how much they'll be scaling down on the production compared to the US tour, and whether all eight of the band members are coming to Europe or not.

edit: Well, OK, the tickets for the show in Helsinki are 62,5 €. I'm 100% fine with this, whatever, just let me see this goddamn loving band live

a cyborg mug fucked around with this message at 17:42 on Nov 23, 2013

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

Pieholes posted:

Just bought the ticket to the Helsinki show, first time going to a gig all alone but I'm pretty sure it will be amazing.

I'm a retard and somehow managed to lose my card which means I can't buy a ticket right now :hurr: Here's hoping the GA tickets won't get all sold before I get my new card.

I currently don't know if any of my friends are cool enough to come to a NIN concert, but it seems like there'll be a couple of people in this thread coming to the Helsinki show so maybe we'll do a small goon meet or something and have a ridiculously expensive beer or two?

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

Bought the ticket for the Helsinki show, loving hell I'm excited already :holy:

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

I dunno, 60 € is pretty much what I'd expect to pay for NIN here in Finland. Maybe someone here remembers how much they paid when NIN last did a European tour of their own?

a cyborg mug fucked around with this message at 15:27 on Dec 2, 2013

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

Tomorrow :woop: :woop: :woop: :holy: :holy:

So, who's coming? Anyone else bought their tickets in the presale and is coming through the ~special door~?

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

loving hell that owned. Trent and the band are just in amazing shape, and I think we got the better setlist compared to the first show in Riga (Reptile instead of The Frail/The Wretched, Sanctified instead of Find My Way, and especially loving Hand Covers Bruise, Beside You In Time AND Somewhat Damaged instead of Eraser). I wouldn't have minded the other setlist, mind you, but I'm personally really happy with what we got to hear. Also, the hall was just around 4/5 full, but the atmosphere was fantastic and the crowd went loving wild at the appropriate spots. Great light show and some cool projections as well, looked like a mix of the 2013 Festival and Tension tour setups. Awesome poo poo!

Cold Cave was pretty fun as well. I'm not a huge fan of the singer's voice, but they had some great songs and he put in a fantastic performance otherwise.

Spoilered some stuff if someone here is going on this tour and doesn't want to know anything beforehand :)

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

Woah, there's some interesting variation going on in the setlists on this tour, it looks like!

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

I liked Cold Cave but in retrospect it's probably not the best possible kind of act to open for NIN, especially on a huge arena stage. The singer dude certainly had charisma, but they just totally failed to fill the place with either their stage presence or their music. Think it'd work better in a tiny club.

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

Bliggers- posted:

- $16 beers

how is that even possible

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

Is there a reason for them not playing Happiness In Slavery anymore? I mean that song owns, easily my favorite off Broken.

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

But if him not playing HIS is an indication of him being old then he's been old for 20 years

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

Just saw this again and couldn't help but laugh my rear end off:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xaWe_4AaH8Y

I'll probably add it to the OP.

Are they just trying to disown that song? It's been a year since Hesitation Marks came out, they've played tons of shows since then and they've played pretty much every song from Hesitation Marks live except that one. I can't imagine it's because it's hard to play because it seems like it'd be easier to do live than some of the songs they've been doing live for the past year.

It'd probably be jarring as gently caress to hear that in one of their live sets, though.

quote:

"There were a few moments of this album where I expected eyebrows to raise," Reznor says. "But that actually was not one of them. To me, 'Everything' is a descendant of Fear and Joy Division and New Order. Somehow, that song has become representative of this as my 'happy album,' although I don't hear it as such. It's certainly not meant to make you feel like, 'Look at how great everything is!' But it seems to be the shocking moment of the record. We've not played it onstage, only in rehearsals. It's become an irritant to me."[4]

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

LoudLoudNoise posted:

I am angry that out of any song from The Slip, Demon Seed never gets played live.

:(:hf::(

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

For me, The Fragile is one of those cases where the whole is greater than the sum of its parts. There aren't even all that many songs I really love compared to, well, pretty much any other NIN album, but as a whole it's still probably my favorite out of them all. It's just such a wonderfully executed concept.

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

Those kids are gonna start school in a couple of years and I bet my rear end Trent won't be doing mega tours for a long while when that happens.

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

Here's an idea for you idiots: Just listen to the drat thing so you can find out if you'd like it or not

It's good, by the way.

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

Oh so it's not even Trent's vocals?

I didn't feel like those vocals really added much of anything to the song and I would probably never listen to that version again over the original.

Yeah. NinWiki has this to say on the track:

NinWiki posted:

This is the original version of the song, but features new vocals and lyrics by Stella Katsoudas (aka Stella Soleil), the lead singer and main force behind Sister Soleil, added on top. The song was put together in 1999 for the soundtrack to the film Stigmata but was not included, allegedly due to a quarrel between Reznor and Billy Corgan, who produced the soundtrack. Previously, the song had never been officially released, although Katsoudas has used it in some ballet performances, causing the track to subsequently surface on torrent websites. More recently, the track has been uploaded to remix.nin.com by Reznor and is available for download. Its title means "touching him" in Latin.

Like you said, I don't think the vocals really add all that much to the song, either, but I like that version too and listen to it once in a while when I happen to remember it exists. Like most remixes then, I guess. It definitely wouldn't work on TDS, though.

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

Negative_Kittens posted:

Can anyone fill me in on why Trent seems to talk about pigs and troughs starting with Broken, TDS and continuing on into The Slip? Does it have something to do with the Tate mansion that he used to record in?

It is because pigs are really cool animals that are smart and cute.

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

Mishaco posted:

I agree, i enjoy the Fragile though as a double album, its a bit weak in spots.
I definitely listen to 'Left' more than 'Right'.

Then again, Starfuckers isn't one of my favorite songs.
I like Day The World Went Away, We're in This Together, The Fragile, The Wretched, Lamir, and The Great Below all more than Starfuckers.

That's just me though.

Nah man it's not just you, no one likes Starfuckers

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

My problem with Welcome Oblivion is that soundwise it's ultimately kind of samey and towards the end the album just completely fizzles out. I literally can't remember a single thing that happens on that album after We Fade Away, which would've been a really good closer.

I'm happy I got the normal CD album that doesn't have the bonus tracks, I probably wouldn't like the album nearly as much as I do if it had even more stuff on it. It's already too long as-is.

a cyborg mug fucked around with this message at 16:41 on Apr 16, 2015

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

It's gonna be Strobe Light guys.

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

hbxli posted:

Um so guys, I did a thing where I made an album of NIN songs mashed up with some of the worst music I could think of.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bwXVEzfIzpo

:five: :five: :five: :five: :five:

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

Sir Lemming posted:

Lurked over at EchoingTheSound to see if I could get a summary of the BBC interview, and the main points of importance are:

• concert at the Royal Albert Hall on June 24th
  • the final EP in the trilogy will be out before "the shows" (so currently, June 24th at the latest, but we'll see what other dates are announced)
  • This EP is taking slightly longer because they're working hard on making it sound unpredictable

(for reference, http://www.echoingthesound.org/community/threads/4686-The-Trilogy-s-End/page18 )

Nice, thanks for the summary :)

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

I mean they did admit it would be lovely

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

Trent said he got tired of Everything, something to the effect of "it's become an irritant to me", which is why they ended up not playing it.

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

:eyepop:

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

The first show seems to have had a partly quite interesting setlist. Won't spoil it here if anyone wants to be surprised but you can find it on Setlist.fm.

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

Starfuckers IS really terrible but I imagine it'd be a banging live track.

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

Pretty good posted:

The clouds will part and the sky cracks open
And god himself will reach his loving arm through

I feel like ”stuck in this hole with the poo poo and the piss” is the more relevant line right now to be honest

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

MIDWIFE CRISIS if you’ve got at least Apple Music (dunno about other streaming services), there’s a commentary thing ”Trent Reznor In Conversation With...” tacked onto the end of Hesitation Marks. I didn’t know it existed and listened to it just a few days ago. It’s Trent going solo talking about the process of making that album, including playing some demos of tracks that did end up on the album as well as totally unreleased material. It’s a nice listen :)

Dr Tran posted:

They did a few shows in Europe and Asia back in 2018 for the Cold and Black and Infinite tour. Trent said that era ended at the Cleveland show last month. Guessing they’ll tour again to support the next album. Could be a year or two.

They also did a string of shows in the UK and a festival in France this year.

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

”How long?” is what I ask when I listen to it and it keeps going for 20 minutes after We Fade Away, which would have been a decent ending for the album

It’s a cool album and I kinda wish there’ll be a continuation to it somewhere down the line, but I seriously do not remember a single moment of it after We Fade Away. Strings and Attractors is the absolute highlight of the album for me and everything that comes after is increasingly more forgettable after that.

Some great stuff on there otherwise, will throw it on during the ol’ commute tomorrow

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

hbxli posted:

it's beginning to look a lot like fistfuck!

i made a nin christmas album because of course i did

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i37HIOMhXok

Lmao

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

The music is one thing but I currently can’t stop thinking about that loving ”broken santa” artwork, even the idea of it is killing me

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

Rageaholic posted:

Did Trent find god as he got older or something? What happened to "God is dead and no one cares"? I know that was 30 years ago, but I didn't know he'd done a 180 and become a believer in that time.

Something in another interview in the past few years also made me briefly think this. Guess it’s always possible