Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

doing backing vocals at the same time, too
loving wild

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Passing a Trent audition must be the most demanding position in the industry at this point
gotta be able to swap in on every other instrument on stage and do backing vocals

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

He should bring back the 80s style back-up singers
that arrangement of "All Time Low" loving whipped

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

I want to see the happy animals
I want to take you on a sleigh ride
I want to sing a noel madrigal
my whole existence is nog
It brings me closer to god

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Addiction must be replaced with a new vice. Trent replaced smack with heavy steel. And good on the man he looks great for his age

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

It needs the Mike Garson run from Just Like You Imagined snuck in somewhere but otherwise that's lovely
fella is talented as hell

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Is that weirder than your favorite Devo drummer joining Nine Inch Nails?

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

in honor of long hair Trent (and not just because I just found this slip) here's a download code for broken for someone to snatch

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

oh drat
thanks for nothing... nothing records

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

I hope the soundtrack has the full NIN+Mariqueen treatment for the original theme like they did for Immigrant Song on Girl with the Dragon Tattoo

that'd be fun

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Ah drat, right
well I'd prefer her but I'd settle for either

or both

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

It's neat but I wish it was more adventurous like

if you're paying $125 for a shirt it should be weird and not just a color reference

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

it's a really weird choice to make a tote for an album that came out 5 years ago

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Carpet posted:

The Killer is out on Netflix and the soundtrack is available for streaming or purchase on Bandcamp.

Ooh this is a neat one. Kinda sounds like a hybrid of the work they did for Girl With the Dragon Tattoo mixed with the TMNT industrial synth sounds.

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Sir Lemming posted:

Wish (slow version)

I'd dig a lounge version. Just imagine a Richard Cheese-esque
"Step right uuuuup. A-pushaaaa."

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Eh, Trent's a contented old family man these days. I don't blame him for not wanting to force it... Nine Inch Nails music should be driven by righteous indignation, whether that's the internal or external but I'd imagine his world right now is pretty cozy with the composing and spending time with his kids and stuff.

Not that art needs to come exclusively from misery but it needs to have some sense of sincerity to it - the man as he is now could not honestly write something like Terrible Lie or The Downward Spiral.

Now we see a Trump re-election or if the wildfires hit his California home and I wouldn't be surprised if we get that Year Zero 2 album we've all been waiting for. But I'm not gonna wish the misfortune on him that's necessary for that sorta art to be created.

And I could be entirely wrong about this and maybe he's been secretly working on a follow up to the experimental styles he brought to play in The Fragile - something we can't even imagine yet, but who knows.

If not new music though, it would be nice to have a tour or an official live album or b-sides or something.

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

I'd buy the gently caress out of a With Teeth definitive with Home, Non-entity, Not So Pretty Now, and Right Where It Belongs (Version 2)

He'd probably have to do that as a triple LP though, and at that point may as well scrounge up a few more demos or whatever you have lying around to really fill it out

and christ... next year is 20 years for it

Good Soldier Svejk fucked around with this message at 21:37 on Mar 20, 2024

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

I do, in fact, pick things up
I am a collector

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Rageaholic posted:

Am I crazy or is the end credits the "Without you everything falls apart" part of The Perfect Drug played on xylophone?

No that's a good ear my friend
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pa5YJRcfCfM&t=295s

100 percent that's echoing the guitar

Also those kids whip and "FIST BUMP" is incredible

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Robert Facepalmer posted:

No stage show? Gonna be hard to get that EGOT at this point, unless the are cool with a EGOCMA

The Downward Spiral would make for a... some sort of broadway show.

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

They should get Jonathan Groff to play young Trent
I just saw him in a show and that motherfucker has some intense stage presence

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

yeah this is going to go so much harder than it has to, like Tim Follin scoring NES games levels of "you didn't have to go that hard"

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Social Network is best but Gone Girl and Dragon Tattoo are both incredible ambient works

Sugar Storm is as good as anything Trent has ever done

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Wildtortilla posted:

I binged With Teeth a few weeks ago and it’s among my favorite albums.

Right Beside You in Time is a top tier song and sounds so good to my ears every single time I hear it.

The OG and the V2 remix are both such incredible variations of that song
either wall of buzzing noise like you're falling through the angriest wind tunnel or melancholy piano on the edge of the universe

And yeah I'll admit I remember being a little disappointed when it came out (my first was The Fragile) and it's hard not to feel like, compared to that, the scope and ambition didn't just feel like a step down but like... a massive creative earthquake shift

I've come around to it with time but I still think it should have had non-entity and not so pretty now
and maybe some more aggressive or avant-garde instrumentation choices

But the design switch from Carson to Sheridan was huge for them visually. That basically defined the visual language of NIN for the next decade or more

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Yeah I don't think an album like "The Fragile" could ever be produced again, at least not in the current music landscape

You can hear the time, the money, and the desperation that went into making it in every track. Layers and layers and snippets you can hear cut from hours of studio noodling
I'd put it right there with Bowie's Outside as a perfect concept album that will never get the love it deserves.

I can only imagine how loving devastating it was for Trent at the time of release for it not to have been received how he'd hoped. I've experienced artistic rejection before but never on that scale.
It's no real surprise he didn't feel like writing again for a few years after that

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Chip S. Challenge posted:

the remix on things falling apart has a beat that goes harder

Hell yeah it does

I had no idea what remix albums were but I remember finding Things Fall Apart in the FYE at some point after I bough The Fragile and I was like "sweet, new NIN music"

I think I even somehow had Further Down the Spiral before I got an actual copy of TDS

that was weird.

It was hard times in those pre-internet days, at the mercy of what a single shop decided to stock.