Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Leon Einstein
Feb 6, 2012
I must win every thread in GBS. I don't care how much banal semantic quibbling and shitty posts it takes.

Sai-kun posted:

All The Love In The World

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E0saQeqIx_o

loving. Awesome. Probably in my top 3 favorite songs on Awitha_Teethuh. The piano/drum breakdown always puts a smile on my face, it's great.

That was seriously great. Sounded way better than the rehearsal leak. This band lineup is probably the best version I've seen live. The backup singers are adding tons of possibilities for songs. Could Sunspots make an appearance? They could sing the falsetto chorus much better than Trent could.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leon Einstein
Feb 6, 2012
I must win every thread in GBS. I don't care how much banal semantic quibbling and shitty posts it takes.

Percy Teatwillow posted:

I listened to The Slip for the first time in a long time today and completely forgot how terrible the YEAHs were in Demon Seed. Jesus.

I like those.

Leon Einstein
Feb 6, 2012
That was pretty incoherent due to time restraints.

Leon Einstein
Feb 6, 2012

TOOT BOOT posted:

Semi unrelated but I just heard Daisy Berkowitz is dying of colon cancer. What a bummer, he's a large part of what made Manson great in the early years.

Oh geez, that sucks. Manson treated him like poo poo, and he seemed like he just got left behind when Manson's image took precedence over the music. He has a really cool style of playing.

Leon Einstein
Feb 6, 2012

John Cena posted:

I think he still plays a bunch of the singles types, HLAH/Terrible Lie/Sin, Sanctified is back on the rotation on occasion Down In It and Something I Can Never Have get play for "special" shows, but he's kind of disowned everything else from that album.

It's been a loooooong time since Down In It was played. He used to play it every show too. Must've gotten real sick of it.

Leon Einstein
Feb 6, 2012
Everything is awesome. I would miss it if it weren't on HM.

Leon Einstein
Feb 6, 2012
Sanctified had that Midnight Express sample in the bridge. It was taken out on the remaster.

Leon Einstein
Feb 6, 2012
^^
He just sampled the kick drum.

david_a posted:

Ah, I totally forgot about that one! Did he take it out for legal reasons?

Yes.

Leon Einstein
Feb 6, 2012

Perfidus posted:

Was it a common thought that Trent's song A Warm Place took a lot from David Bowie's Crystal Japan? Or was that something people recognized in a more modern time frame?

Treat must've heard it way back and didn't realize he was basically remaking it. That's my guess.

Leon Einstein
Feb 6, 2012

LordPants posted:

It's also, as pointed out, really overtly Cocaine: Hell of a drug - the Album.

I don't think this is true. Trent was clean for awhile and then relapsed really hard after he had a single drink to celebrate it debuting at number one.

Leon Einstein
Feb 6, 2012

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

Mariqueen posted this on Instagram a couple hours ago, haha:

I'm glad he's friends with Richard Patrick again. I saw Filter at some point during the tour for their second album and Patrick was talking poo poo about Trent during the entire show. It was really pathetic.

Leon Einstein
Feb 6, 2012
I really like HTDA. I just don't think of it as comparable to NIN at all. The live visuals were arguably better than NIN's if you ask me.

Hesitation Marks is great too. It's unlikely he'll ever put out anything the resonates with me like his 90s output, but if HM is indicative of his future level of quality, I can't complain.

Leon Einstein
Feb 6, 2012
I had a Beats subscription until I dared to ask for a credit to my account because the service was down when I tried using it. gently caress that stingy and conceited company.

Leon Einstein
Feb 6, 2012
I think I prefer the style of HTDA as well. I really liked HM, but HTDA just has a more interesting sound.

Leon Einstein
Feb 6, 2012

Periodiko posted:

They did some of that stuff for TDS as well, I forget who it was, but one guy would listen to TV movies with the picture off and just sample anything that sounded cool texturally, which is where the stuff like the Texas Chainsaw sample in Reptile or the Godfather sample in... Ruiner? Piggy? - come from or the THX sample at the beginning of Mr. Self-Destruct.

I was completely obsessed with NIN studio stories when I was a teenager, I know a stupid amount about how those records were made.

It was Chris Vrenna. You're spot on with your post though. I was the same way as a teen.

Leon Einstein
Feb 6, 2012
I was going to wait until Apple Music had Sonos support, but I guess I'll get it now for these goodies. I hope Trent puts random crap on there on a regular basis. I don't believe for a second that he's run out of poo poo buried in his vault. I want Sex Dwarf!

Leon Einstein
Feb 6, 2012
These aren't just tracks without vocals. Lots of the music is different. The end of somewhat damaged is weird as gently caress.

Leon Einstein
Feb 6, 2012
This basically is the CDR we saw a picture of well over a decade ago. These are mainly demos with new stuff thrown in. Definitely not just The Fragile karaoke edition. I love it. 10 Miles High is way different and excellent.

Leon Einstein
Feb 6, 2012

Periodiko posted:

It's interesting to be able to finally hear what the original version of Ten Miles High probably sounded like. It's like an intentional attempt at slightly tongue-in-cheek buttrock, or something.
It's got a cock rock feel with those thrusting "huuuh" sounds.

Leon Einstein
Feb 6, 2012
He's had TDS instrumentals on that remix site for years.

Leon Einstein
Feb 6, 2012
I wish Trent would've had a follow up to his new NIN tweet. What a tease.

Also, TDS has been my all time favorite album for the last couple of decades. It still sounds great!

Leon Einstein
Feb 6, 2012
So is there actually going to be new NIN this year? Trent was a bit premature with that tweet.

Leon Einstein
Feb 6, 2012
He did say there would be new NIN in 2016, so it's probably real. Nowadays he seems to spring stuff on his audience rather than the extremely slow burn of the 90s releases.

Leon Einstein
Feb 6, 2012
Ghosts has some awesome stuff and some so so stuff. I honestly like every recording he's ever put out, but The Fragile singles were weak choices. Starfuckers is probably one of my least liked NIN songs ever, and TDTWWA literally has no hook, and WITT is too long and not interesting enough.

Leon Einstein
Feb 6, 2012

The REAL Goobusters posted:

Time heals all wounds
He's always been tight with Iovine; he rescued him from his lovely TVT contract. You guys don't know what you're talking about.

Leon Einstein
Feb 6, 2012
It just seems weird since he's on a label again, and we know how glacial things move. Usually you hear about an album many months in advance. I have faith though.

Leon Einstein
Feb 6, 2012
The new song has lyrics though.

It's definitely not NIN though. Gimme some sick beats.

Leon Einstein
Feb 6, 2012

Call Me Charlie posted:

You can expand that to working for Apple Music as the Chief Creative Officer, using his position to get Zane Lowe a gig, taking the company's position in the press against YouTube, singing a ditty for Leonardo DiCaprio's vanity project, being one of many hollywood dopes to say 'i'm from a place that's been raped to death by free trade...but we gotta support hillary clinton', etc, etc, etc.

Basically, he's a giant contradiction. And not even in a fun way like Prince was.

Kinda sounds like you're a conservative that's salty that he's liberal. Why is doing a song for a documentary such a sore spot?

Leon Einstein
Feb 6, 2012
Remember that Trent was helping out with Beats, and they happened to get bought out by Apple.

Leon Einstein
Feb 6, 2012
I feel confident we won't get a new NIN record this year.

Leon Einstein
Feb 6, 2012
I can't spend my money fast enough. I got the new ep and the Fragile deviations. Glad I sold my Fragile vinyl for 250 bucks a few years ago.

Leon Einstein
Feb 6, 2012
^^^
It'd be cool if he did it on all his different albums. PHM demos and alternate versions have been out there forever though, so as long as he doesn't release stuff that's already available, I'll buy it.

Inspector_666 posted:

I want to listen to the gently caress outta this.
He released The Fragile instrumentals along with alternate versions and unreleased songs a few years back. It looks like there are quite a few other new ones here though, so I'm still definitely buying it.

Leon Einstein
Feb 6, 2012

BANME.sh posted:

The new EP is streaming on Beats radio tomorrow, a day ahead of the release date

Starting when?

Leon Einstein
Feb 6, 2012
So when are we supposed to get Deviations?

Leon Einstein
Feb 6, 2012
I'll need a few more listens to digest this, but it's not grabbing me immediately.

Leon Einstein
Feb 6, 2012

sleepwalkers posted:

Is it different from your expectations, is it just not your thing, or do you think it's just... not good?

I just can't understand a word that's being said. I prefer music that reveals itself slowly, so don't think I'm complaining.

Leon Einstein
Feb 6, 2012
Did the Deviations download show up for you?

Leon Einstein
Feb 6, 2012
I swear I heard Mariqueen singing in parts.

Leon Einstein
Feb 6, 2012

Earwicker posted:

i know this seems crazy but it is entirely possible for a dude to write a song referencing a "she" or "her" that is not his wife or even, necessarily, an actual person at all. the song could just as easily be about heroin or something.

Sanctified is about his crack pipe. Seriously.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leon Einstein
Feb 6, 2012
Yeah, kinda lazy IMO.