Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

nomapple
Apr 27, 2012

Dr Tran posted:

nine inch nails will be in Europe for 2014.
"The first tour date announcement of #NIN2014 Europe/UK is 3 June in Bologna, Italy"

Support from Cold Cave as well. Just checking them out on youtube and they seem pretty cool. Very 80s. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lLfPaC5cNds

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nomapple
Apr 27, 2012
Got a standing ticket for the London date this morning. £10 in service fees is insane though.

nomapple
Apr 27, 2012
Loving the look of the Euro setlists. Seeing them in London and I'm reeeeeally excited now. Probably the band I've been in to for the longest, but for some reason this'll be my first time seeing them live.

nomapple
Apr 27, 2012
The With Teeth instrumentals are well worth it too. All The Love In The World is actually much better without the vocals in my opinion, and most of these songs are interesting enough that it doesn't feel like the vocals are missing. It totally changes the feel of the album and it's really interesting. If you dig hearing things you never noticed then it's definitely worth a bash.

I'm one of those weirdos who really likes With Teeth though.

nomapple
Apr 27, 2012

Sir Lemming posted:

Wait WHAT?

drat I need to get on this...

Yeah he's done a playlist of those in apple music as well! Excited to see what more stuff we get but I don't want to keep the apple subscription because Spotify is much nicer to use in my opinion.

Gonna dig into The Fragile stuff later today I think.

nomapple
Apr 27, 2012
I'm sure there'll be a digital version available once it's released. I'm excited. I think the last 2 EPs are some of his strongest/most inspired work in a while, maybe since Year Zero. If a 6 song album means we're getting more long form songs, I'm definitely keen to hear that.

nomapple
Apr 27, 2012
This does not seem like a good solution to the whole "buying tickets for big shows is a loving nightmare" issue, and I really hope it doesn't catch on.

Sucks that in the UK he seems to only be playing 2 relatively small shows in London and I tried and failed to get tickets for both. Intimate shows are a cool thing for diehard fans if you play the UK a lot, but I'm pretty sure the last time NIN did the UK was 2014, and that was a full run of arenas.

nomapple
Apr 27, 2012
Looks like we're getting a new song tomorrow, already working in Aus. There are downloads floating around but none of them work for me. Seems like the song is only 4:15 long. I'm curious to know the length of the other songs but I would hazard a guess that this will be a short album/long EP, like 30 minutes or so of material.

e: youtube link for the song: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yzQrdX-E2iY

nomapple
Apr 27, 2012
I love Bowie and NIN but I didn't think I wanted a NIN song that sounds like Bowie. As it turns out, I really like this. I sort of hope it's a bit of an outlier on the rest of the album though.

nomapple
Apr 27, 2012
According to Setlist fm Sin is in the top 10 most played NIN songs (live) but it's also approaching 10 years since it's been in a set. Would love to hear it again. (I've actually never heard it live, didn't see NIN until 2013 or 14 whenever they last did a UK arena tour).

nomapple
Apr 27, 2012
Year Zero was the last thing NIN did that I /really/ liked as a whole project, at least before Add Violence came out. In terms of Post-Fragile, I now love With Teeth and Year Zero fully, everything else has good moments but I don't rate them too highly overall. Add Violence is really great though, first one in a while where I go back to it regularly because I want to listen to it, not because I'm hoping "this time I might like it more".

nomapple
Apr 27, 2012

Leon Einstein posted:

PHM is great, but obviously the production is dated. That's What I Get is also the whiniest song with the corniest line in the NIN catalog, which is saying a lot.

Shame because the beat is one of my favourites on the album. I'd love an instrumental mix with maybe just the "that's what I get" refrain on the outro. I'm sure that exists already, but anyway.

nomapple
Apr 27, 2012
Play The Goddamned Part into God Break Down The Door is the highlight of the album for me. I've grown to really love the Bowie worship. This one feels more connected to NTAE for me because both NTAE and Bad Witch are kind of weird, where Add Violence is more straight-forward. I'm kind of sad that Over and Out isn't as epic as The Background World. I might try sequencing the tracks of all 3 releases in a long playlist, but I don't think the chronological order of the tracks would actually work particularly well. I think I have the same problem with Bad Witch as I did with NTAE: Because it is on the more experimental end, I feel like it could benefit from being slightly longer. NTAE especially, I feel like it's just getting going, then it stops.

e: Despite complaints about Over and Out it's still a great song and the other LP highlight.

nomapple fucked around with this message at 11:03 on Jun 20, 2018

nomapple
Apr 27, 2012
Wasn't mad on God Break Down the Door as a single, but it's a great standout track on the record. The more I listen the more it feels like NTAE and Bad Witch fit together, with Add Violence as the outlier. The colour palette of the album covers only fuels my baseless theory. Add Violence is my favourite of the 3 though. Love those NIN keyboard progressions and The Background World is absolutely mega. I was hoping for more of that on Bad Witch if I'm honest. I like the project we got though.

nomapple
Apr 27, 2012
I really liked Ghosts V. It reminded me a lot of A Warm Place, which is one of my favourite NIN tracks. It does also sound a lot like the soundtrack work though. If they released it under the TR/Atticus name I wouldn't have questioned it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nomapple
Apr 27, 2012

Rageaholic posted:

Yeah, I've only watched a little of it so far but it's really good. The multi camera angles make it so cool!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wg2v5vjz_H8

It's pretty loving good! I don't know if it's soundboard, but it sure sounds close.

This loving setlist too, Jesus! :eyepop:
00:00 Intro
00:28 Branches/Bones
02:19 Wish
05:58 Less Than
09:36 March of the Pigs
14:04 This Isn’t the Place
19:11 Reptile
25:40 Sin
29:56 The Perfect Drug
35:36 poo poo Mirror
38:42 Ahead of Ourselves
42:13 God Break Down the Door
47:34 I Can't Give Everything Away (David Bowie cover)
52:41 Subterraneans (David Bowie cover with Bad Witch lyrics)
56:58 The Frail
58:10 Help Me I Am In Hell
01:00:37 Happiness In Slavery
01:05:35 Head Like a Hole
01:10:44 All the Love In the World
01:15:55 And All that Could Have Been
01:22:15 Hurt

e: It's so cool to see Trent on sax for God Break Down the Door, hell yeah

Fuckin hell Sin back in the setlist (this has been my favourite NIN song forever but as a young, UK based NIN fan I've only seen them post-2009 in the UK so never seen this live. I actually had plans with a friend of mine that we would travel to the US to see a "real" NIN show with all the lights etc. Thanks COVID.