Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SUNKOS
Jun 4, 2016

She's Gone Away sounds like something straight off The Fragile. I really didn't think that Trent had this kinda thing in him any more but this is really great, I wish it was a whole album.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SUNKOS
Jun 4, 2016

It's really fascinating to hear the tracks that Trent left on the cutting room floor for The Fragile. It sounds like all that time he took off following TDS was really creative because the guy made so much great music that went in so many directions. I'd love to hear a version of 'Was It Worth It?' with vocals because it seems to follow on from the same style he was exploring with Into The Void and probably would have slotted-in really nicely after that track on the final album, but he had so much great material to work with it's not surprising that tough choices as to what should be cut from the final version were made.

The Fragile still has the best sounding guitars of any NIN album, too.

SUNKOS
Jun 4, 2016

polyester concept posted:

Am I alone in thinking that 90% of all TR&AR's soundtrack work is too samey? Like when the social network came out it was a breath of fresh air because at least it was different than most other scores, but to me most of everything they've done sound like an extension of Ghosts I-IV and a little Hesitation Marks. I get that's their signature sound but I have stopped listening to most of their soundtrack work beyond an initial skim through because there's just not much interesting going on.

I remember being surprised by the song he contributed to the Tetsuo movie because I didn't think he had it in him to create something like that again, and likewise for the cover of Immigrant Song for the Dragon Tattoo movie which was really good. It was nice to hear Trent get noisy again and release something recalling the TDS-Fragile era. It seems that he's very much into ambience and experimenting now and it's clearly something that he's good at, but I really miss when he created stuff that sounded vicious, and aside from the aforementioned tracks I think that style is going to remain part of that period in the 90s and we'll never hear anything like it from him again. He seems pretty mellow and content with life which is a good thing, though.

SUNKOS
Jun 4, 2016

I haven't kept up with Trent's output since he started going in directions that weren't appealing to me. I assume that's a song like the others I described? Okay.

SUNKOS
Jun 4, 2016

Sir Lemming posted:

That's fine, it's just the way you were talking I assumed you have been keeping up with the current stuff. You really should listen to the last 3 NIN records, they're not very long but it's a lot of good stuff. (I can't remember where we landed on calling them EPs, but... they're EPs)

This is late but I did discover some tracks I like so thanks. God Break Down the Door sounds like it could have been on the right Fragile disc and it's fun hearing Trent do a Bowie tribute.

SUNKOS
Jun 4, 2016

TOOT BOOT posted:

I felt depressed before the happy album was even over lmao

Yeah, these are actually really depressing to listen to which isn't such a bad thing but not really good timing given current events. I listened to the albums once and decided I'll revisit them in a year or so, but it's not the right vibe for me right now. I'm also in the camp that was hoping it would be more like the original Ghosts with some really noisy guitar and experimentation rather than a lot of ambience that just all blends together. It's not a bad thing, though.

SUNKOS
Jun 4, 2016

TOOT BOOT posted:

I looked at wikipedia and Clouser hasn't really done anything in the music industry in like 20 years, must be one helluva bridge

Probably something like:

"Hey, didn't know you made a new album. Why didn't you call me?"

"Last time I called you we ended up with Starfuckers, Charlie"

"And now you've got your arms that flip, flop, flip, flop, flip...."

*click*

"SOMETHING'S GONNA GET BROKEN"

But no in the AMA it sounds like Clouser and Reznor are still friends and respect each other which is cool. Was nice seeing Trent mention Aaron North during his HoF speech as well. I know he had a lot of troubles with his health and who knows where he is or how he is right now but I hope he saw that.

SUNKOS
Jun 4, 2016

Vince MechMahon posted:

Isn't "the studio" in his house? I swear I remember hearing a while back that was the case but I might be making that up.

I think so. I vaguely recall a photograph of his kitchen that was related to some NIN recording, I think? It was back when he was really into fitness and there was just fruit everywhere and other healthy food for people to help themselves to and one of the people working on the album just took a photo to show how nice Trent was treating everyone at his place.

I'm fairly sure that after the hurricane and his relocation to Los Angeles he decided to have a home studio rather than the situation in New Orleans where he had the studio in the old funeral home or whatever (that apparently had an apartment above?) and then his house somewhere else. During those days he probably slept at the studio so much that he figured it would be wise to incorporate one into wherever he moved to in the future.

Robert Facepalmer posted:

...and I have a pet theory that Trent probably takes every opportunity to go into the studio to get away from the kids.

I think it's more that he's probably completely miserable if he's not working on something and being creative. He's been open about his struggles and writer's block when starting on The Fragile and how he went out to that cabin to kill himself but ended up writing something which started the whole album process and gave him a direction. Then he got completely fixated on fitness and health after the Fragility tour to get over his addictions and since then he just keeps pumping stuff out. I know other musicians said Trent was a really miserable guy back in the 90s so I think this is basically his coping mechanism and that he always wants to be occupied with something. The prospect of getting writer's block again and being sober probably scares the hell out of him.

SUNKOS fucked around with this message at 00:35 on Dec 21, 2020

SUNKOS
Jun 4, 2016

I wonder if he (or anyone similar) did the same as Maynard James Keenan and ditched LA to go live a semi doomsday prepper-ish life out somewhere quiet? A recent video I saw of his studio made it look fairly small without much space to even move around, but that could just be because of the sheer amount of equipment he has in racks lining every wall. He doesn't seem the LA type so I'm curious if perhaps he left for somewhere quieter? I think I read something a while back about some neighbor he had to call the cops on (I may be thinking of someone else, though) so maybe he got fed up? With all the wildfires I could see more rich people ditching their LA mansions for somewhere safer.

Maynard had a nice (albeit garish) home in LA that he sold to go live in the middle of nowhere in Arizona. Just a very small town with less than a hundred people, I think? Up on some hill near his vineyards. One of the Metallica guys left for Colorado. Curious if Trent's decided to move somewhere else as well.

SUNKOS
Jun 4, 2016

I'm not surprised but I do remember him paying firefighters to protect his house first when the wildfires were getting close to his neighborhood and wondering why there wasn't more of an outrage about it. I think over the next five years or so there's gonna be a lot of celebrities fleeing LA. Gonna be interesting to see how it works out for people like Kanye who rely on collaborators a lot. Hopefully none of them want to fly to Montana and he fades into irrelevancy once and for all.

Genuinely interested to see how the migration away from the west coast goes over time however. I know Texas is already complaining about Californians flocking in.

SUNKOS
Jun 4, 2016

Midjack posted:

Separate structure on your property seems like the optimum between convenience and isolation unless you are the type who wants to roll out of bed and immediately start working. I guess then you just put a bed in the studio.

I wonder how many times Mariqueen has seen the red robe picture for real with Trent getting out of bed in the middle of the night to try some idea he just had?

SUNKOS
Jun 4, 2016

That cover of Fashion was great but drat Trent's hair grows fast :stare:

Would love a small EP of NIN covering a bunch of Scary Monsters tracks. I really like the album, especially the guitar work - which Trent seems to have emulated perfectly, and hearing a more modern production of those songs would be great, especially It's No Game (Part 1) & Because You're Young. If he could somehow track down Aaron North again to join in it would be perfect.

:discourse:

SUNKOS
Jun 4, 2016

That performance of Fashion keeps disappearing off YouTube, is there some official channel where the video's available that it won't be deleted from or was it intended as one of those "You had to be there and if you missed it then too bad" type of things? Seems weird to keep pulling the video when the whole thing was meant as a tribute to Bowie, I'd have thought they'd want as many people as possible to see it? Referring to whoever arranged the whole thing, not NIN since I'm sure Trent & Atticus wouldn't care about it being up on YouTube.

SUNKOS
Jun 4, 2016

Ah, my mistake. That makes sense. For some reason I thought it was a free livestream that I just happened to miss.

SUNKOS
Jun 4, 2016

I was gonna say "Again?!" but it seems that this time it's actually had consequences and him being dropped from his label is a good start. I was reading more into it and someone on Twitter dug deep and had saved videos that Manson publicly uploaded to his website as the intro that everyone saw back in the day and it was videos of him literally abusing Evan. I guess at the time everyone assumed it was fake & actors but Evan's tattoos make it clear that it's her if you pause at the right moment, as do the tattoos on Manson and the point where he turns the camera to aim at his own face briefly make it clear that he's doing what he's been accused of. It's horrific and he's just hitting her until she's a bloodied mess. I hope that video along with the other make it into court because that should be automatic jail time for him. The sad thing is what happens in the video is exactly what Evan described him having done to her and someone went back and found he made them publicly viewable for some time.

Apparently there's another video from some party floating around that he recorded that's always been secret because his manager (or someone similar) pleaded with him not to release it since he could face jail time, but I imagine that will be involved at some point because the others who saw it (only two other people) and persuaded him to never show anyone said they were disgusted by it. Then there's the stuff he's admitted to in interviews etc.

Feel sorry for the woman he got married to last year, I think? He's the kind of unhinged cruelty whereby I'd hope cops have gone to wherever he lives to check on her instantly as these accusations come out. As it stands I'm shocked it's just Evan and four others right now, but I imagine more might feel safe coming forward soon.

SUNKOS
Jun 4, 2016

When you think about it, it's absolutely insane that he's somehow evaded any consequences for all the poo poo he does when he openly talks about it without a care in the world, like he genuinely believes himself to be untouchable. I'm amazed that he's somehow evaded jail for the past decade, nevermind what came before then.

I'm not sure if whatever label put out his latest record actually knew but it was abysmal anyways. He seemed to be making a bit of a comeback with Tyler Bates but it only took two albums before Tyler was off.

SUNKOS
Jun 4, 2016

Wild T posted:

The worst part about Manson threatening these poor women is that he's just a goddamn dork. He's a dork with a poo poo ton of money, which makes him dangerous, but watching him in interviews it's clear that he's never progressed past being an edgy middle schooler. The interviews where he talk about how he's gang-affiliated are so goddamn cringey.

You've just reminded me of one interview where he was showing off some golden switchblade he had to the interviewer and bragging about what he'd used it for or something and it sounded ridiculous, but then if you swap out his version that involved a man with "What if it was actually a woman?" it becomes quite grim.

I don't think that he has a lot of money either. He's had to downsize a lot and I remember his old keyboardist taking him to court for the band being screwed on payments while he wasted all his money on drugs and Nazi memorabilia which apparently wasn't just for the edginess either. And you know it's messed up when the guy that urinated on women and sexually abused a disabled woman in front of the rest of the band is taking the moral high ground in a situation.

I remember Manson having to sell his last house a while back and it was a pretty small and unremarkable place. I think he's wasted everything, lost a fair chunk to divorces and any money he makes now just goes towards drugs. He'll probably need Johnny Depp forking over the cash for a lawyer just to defend him in court since I doubt he could afford it.

SUNKOS
Jun 4, 2016

Yeah at least Trent Reznor was very straightforward about things when it comes to NIN of "I'm the band" (until Atticus joined, that is) but he has the benefit of having actual talent at songwriting and being able to play a variety of instruments and pretty much make an entire album by himself. Manson can't do poo poo on his own so always has to seek out someone or some people to make the record for him to try and sing over, and the amount of talent he's let slip through his fingers because he thinks that he's more important when he's always been the least relevant part of the music is embarrassing.

I mean when I think of their breakthrough hit cover of Sweet Dreams it's the guitar work that instantly comes to mind, not the singing, and most of Manson's attention came from video directors like Floria Sigismondi and makeup artists giving him an aesthetic direction since beforehand he was just a skinny pale guy in a black shirt and PVC pants with the only notable thing about his appearance being "Where's his eyebrows?" until some actual artists took the time to give him a look.

SUNKOS
Jun 4, 2016

a mysterious cloak posted:

Somewhere, Trent reads the Manson news and quietly, slowly starts to smile

I don't think that he does, especially considering he's now getting dragged into the Manson crap because of what's written in his book. I imagine at the time Reznor thought of it as a Bowie/Iggy situation and he was giving someone that he saw promise in a helping hand to do well. The difference was Iggy actually cleaned up his act with Bowie and they both have (and sadly, had) long and successful careers without any of the nonsense. Manson squandered everything and just left a trail of ruin behind him before crashing and burning.

Reznor probably never expected it and saw promise in him at the time (e.g. smartest guy in the room quote) thinking everything else was just talk until realizing what kind of guy he really was and starting to distance himself quickly.

axelblaze posted:

That's also connected directly to Manson in a way in that the big fight they had in the 90s was mainly about Manson revealing a bunch of that stuff in his book.

It's been a stupidly long time but all I remember about Trent from Manson's book was a lot of whining about him spending time with David Lynch (and Bowie?) during the Antichrist Superstar recording sessions when he was putting together the Lost Highway soundtrack. It seems like even before Manson had an opportunity to get big (I consider the release of Antichrist Superstar to be when he did) that Reznor had wised-up about the guy and was keeping his distance.

Manson admitted his drug use was already going off the rails during the recording and that combined with the stories of putting recording reels in microwaves and all the other dumb poo poo they were doing - that's probably why Trent went off to actually do something productive while Manson and co. just got high and thought they were receiving messages from the future or whatever crap it was that Manson claimed. For as good as Antichrist is as an album I'd say it's a miracle the band managed to even make it, let alone tour for it and record further albums.

SUNKOS
Jun 4, 2016

Sir Lemming posted:

I have to admit both of the above are true and we should, on some level, brace ourselves for the possibility that something bad could come out about him.

But it will obviously have to be from a more reliable source from Manson.

Fair point. I've always seen Reznor as more self-destructive during those periods and abusing himself rather than others though, aside from the on-stage chaos, that is. Everything from that time made him seem pretty reclusive (tour footage etc.) and basically hiding away from people, aside from some clips where he'd step off the bus for a bit to play with his dog. Still could be something though, who knows.

On the topic of this whole mess however, even more women have come forward now (a model, a musician, an artist, a retailer and also a stylist who states Manson held a Glock pistol to her head in an incident in 2011) and Manson has also been dropped from two TV shows (American Gods & Creepshow) that he was involved with. Dita Von Teese has chimed in to say he never abused her and that their divorce was the result of infidelity and drug abuse. Given so many more women have already come forward however the floodgates might have opened. Apparently police have already been to his house to check things out.

SUNKOS
Jun 4, 2016

I am glad that I do not remember anything involving Courtney Love.

Wild T posted:

About the worst thing I've heard about 90s era Reznor was that he really had a thing for tall, Amazonian black strippers. Which is super specific but not exactly cancel-worthy by itself and after he got clean it seems like he's happy being a quiet family man.

If Trent still likes video games I wonder how he reacted to the new Resident Evil. A lot of people discovered they have a kink for 9ft vampire ladies after watching the trailer :haw:

SUNKOS
Jun 4, 2016

stev posted:

I've already seen a few headlines on Twitter along the lines of "Reznor denies sexual assault claims by Manson". Real loving misleading stuff and as others have said I really hope he didn't ever do anything like that.

Same. Haven't listened to the recording that reads out the passage and obviously nowhere has a transcript but one article mentioned the thing with the deaf girl was in a shower, and if Trent was present for whatever reason I wonder if it was more "He was in the same building" than actually being there to watch because otherwise how big was the freakin' bathroom? :stare:

He may not have even known the event took place until after reading the book because I can't imagine him being happy with meat and piss all over the studio. I guess we'll never know unless others involved speak up about it and Twiggy seems to be in permanent hiding since the rape stuff about him came out and as much as Pogo hates Manson he's probably staying far away from this as well. What definitely isn't a good look for Trent is plenty of photos of him rekindling his friendship with Manson years later when knowing all of this stuff, and even letting him in the music video for Starfuckers.

Probably some very awkward conversations with Mariqueen right now but one day Trent's kids are gonna see this stuff online which is going to be horrible for them, even if Manson wasn't being honest or misrepresenting what actually happened. Can't imagine two whole bands and whoever else in a tiny recording studio bathroom, though.

SUNKOS
Jun 4, 2016

He might have been getting medical treatment during those breaks. Even when he was younger and much healthier he had to go backstage for oxygen and poo poo because his father being exposed to agent orange meant that Manson has heart problems - which makes his drug use all the more stupid, especially at his age now.

Latest updates are more accusations ranging from Phoebe Bridgers saying Manson showed her his 'rape room' when she was a teenager, Jenna Jameson saying she dumped him because he bit her and wanted to burn her alive, and Rose McGowan who was formerly engaged to him states that she stands with all the accusers.

SUNKOS
Jun 4, 2016

The Manson thing continues to worsen, I think he's hosed now and possibly his wife as well.

Evan Rachel Wood posted:

On Dec. 19, I had to file a police report after I was alerted to threats made by @leslee_lane and @lindsayusichofficial (Brian's wife) for conspiring to release photos of me when I was UNDERAGE, after being given large amounts of drugs and alcohol, after Brian performed on Halloween in Las Vegas to 'ruin my career' and 'shut me up.'

Evan Rachel Wood posted:

I was called a jew in a derogatory manner, he would draw swastikas over my bedside table when he was mad at me. I heard the 'n' word over and over.

Everyone around him was expected to laugh and join in. If you did not or (god forbid) called him out, you were singled out and abused more. I have never been more scared in my life.

Manson's longtime manager Tony Ciulla has thrown in the towel also. Not only possessing but also wanting to distribute child porn to ruin Evan's career and Manson's wife actually being involved with this is :stare: as hell. Hopefully a warrant is issued for a search and they find the images and whatever other messed up stuff that we don't know about and they just get locked up and never heard from again.

SUNKOS
Jun 4, 2016

obeyasia posted:

What if we just didn't talk about this turd?

I think moving on is best yeah, the more stuff that comes out the more horrific it is (it's literally looking like an Ian Watkins situation) but it seems that the FBI is now involved and actively investigating him so hopefully the next time we hear of him it's that he's going away for life.

On a NIN-related note, it was nice to hear Trent say in that recent interview (an acceptance speech for something, I forget what but remember him thanking the long list of NIN members over the years, even back to Richard Patrick) that he's nowhere near done and wants to make more music. I know there's been soundtracks and EPs etc. but Hesitation Marks feels like so long ago and holy poo poo I just checked and it's close to 8 years old :stare: I hope that his next project is a more traditional NIN album like that.

SUNKOS
Jun 4, 2016

Trent Reznor posted:

To try picking up a guitar, which I told myself I would never do again for whatever reason and finding, you know what? It sounds loving good.

That was unexpected to read but I'm glad that he likes to play it again because while he may not go down in history for his guitar playing, he has a distinct style that I really like and when he gets it just right it sounds fantastic. The examples that immediately spring to mind are the solos (?) on We're in this Together & The Wretched, along with other works even going back to Broken which aren't fancy or technical but fit so well with the music and almost have a kind of groove to them? Whatever setup he had the The Fragile sounded great and even on a track like Last from Broken, the little section he plays at 0:42 which then segues back into the rhythm with this extra added guitar that cuts right through it sounds awesome.

SUNKOS
Jun 4, 2016

It's really nice seeing someone demo something like that in a non-traditional way and just showing what happens when you plug a guitar in, for example. It's too nice actually. I'm resisting temptation to preorder the drat thing now.

:negative:

SUNKOS
Jun 4, 2016

He reminds me of Thom Yorke :allears:

SUNKOS
Jun 4, 2016

Aaron North was incredible on guitar for the supporting tour. His playing on 'The Big Come Down' on the Beside You in Time tour DVD was awesome.

SUNKOS
Jun 4, 2016

The intro to Big Man With a Gun is great. Those drums and whatever effects he's using to accomplish those weird background vocals combined with the bass synth coming in is *chef's kiss*.

...I just looked it up and apparently those vocals are a sample of Tommy Lee having an orgasm in a porno :negative:

That song followed by A Warm Place and Eraser is probably my favorite part of TDS though. I always saw BMWAG as a parody song (and really wish there wasn't the "Shoot shoot shoot..." lyrics which have always sounded kinda embarrassing) and liked whatever that sound is that's near-identical to whatever is responsible for the solo in Suck (the end of each note sounds like a guitar but still, what/how?!) and then how the drums start really blasting near the end of the song. I remember reading that Trent was really particular about the percussion on TDS (I could swear I read an interview a very long time ago about him testing different snares in every room of the house to see how the acoustics were, and repeating for every part of a kit) and on songs like Big Man and Eraser it really pays off, imo.

Also, another bit of trivia I learned from looking at the Wiki page is that apparently the background screams throughout The Becoming are a sample taken from Robot Jox when a robot falls onto the crowd :haw:

Edit: Considering how controversial Big Man With a Gun is, this has me really interested:

quote:

Flood, known for engineering and producing U2 and Depeche Mode albums, was employed as co-producer on The Downward Spiral. It became his last collaboration with Nine Inch Nails due to creative differences. A "very dangerously self-destructive," humorous short song written for the album, "Just Do It", was not included in the final version and criticized by Flood in that Reznor had "gone too far."

I'm guessing by the name, themes and what Flood has said that the song was probably about suicide. Shame it never made it into the reissue of the album but Trent being older probably realized it would be a bad idea. Get a little curious sometimes if there's any particular older material that really makes him cringe. I imagine Starfuckers is definitely on that last, and the flip-flop-flip song from With Teeth. I wonder if Just Do It was perhaps an early version of Eraser? Sounds more like it was part of the finished tracks and pulled from the album however, so maybe not.

SUNKOS fucked around with this message at 16:19 on May 12, 2021

SUNKOS
Jun 4, 2016

Sir Lemming posted:

Erm, I think you're a little off on that detail, it was a sample created by Tommy Lee from... something. The exact origin is the stuff of rumors and all of them sound pretty icky so I'm not going to dig into it all, but I'm pretty sure it's not his voice.

I saw it on Wikipedia which can be wrong, but apparently the source that confirms this is the album booklet itself:

quote:

The sample at the beginning of "Big Man with a Gun" comes from a studio-altered recording of a porn star having an orgasm. According to the album booklet, this "sample" is titled "Steakhouse" and is credited to Tommy Lee.

SUNKOS
Jun 4, 2016

spookygonk posted:

Trent is 56 today!

Looking good.

Keep forgetting how old the guy is but after everything he put his body through I'm still amazed at the physical transformation from when With Teeth came out and the guy was over 40 and looked incredible, especially when that was right after he really went off the rails with addiction. Must have had a hell of a dietician and personal trainer because all the muscle etc. aside he looked younger on that tour as well. Always impresses me when people go through those transformations e.g. Christian Bale & Matthew McConaughey.

Kinda funny as well, I think it was during the original Ghosts sessions at his house that someone took a photo of part of his kitchen that had fruit everywhere for everyone to help themselves to and it was a comically large amount.

SUNKOS
Jun 4, 2016

I like Hesitation Marks (I'm pretending 'Everything' doesn't exist here) but some songs feel a bit too restrained. I see what Trent was going for but take 'Copy of a' for example, the live version from the Tension tour is incredible, particularly the VEVO version on YouTube which is extended and has a lot of noise and feels much more NIN-ish than the album version. I really wish that version of the song was what was on the album rather than the restrained version that we got.

Not a sentiment exclusive to NIN either, there's other bands who change up and expand album tracks in a live setting to the point where I wish that they had experimented with live performances and committing those versions to the album rather than discovering afterwards during the tour that the songs could be improved. The added noise and chaos of the live version of 'Copy of a' is excellent however.

As for Hesitation Marks in general, I really like the experimental and fresh approach that he took with the album and I consider 'All Time Low' a highlight of the album. Still crazy to realize how old it is however, I know there's been smaller NIN releases since but Trent really got sucked deep into soundtrack work. I wonder if he's starting to get the itch to make something loud again?

SUNKOS
Jun 4, 2016

Sir Lemming posted:

I mean, not to come off all defensive, but it feels crazy to me to write off the trilogy of Not The Actual Events / Add Violence / Bad Witch as "smaller NIN releases". Even though literally, yeah, I guess they are. But in terms of artistic evolution they feel almost as significant to me as Broken. Each of those records feels more carefully crafted than HM did, to me. Plus there are some songs on those that are about as loud and aggressive as he's ever done. (The Idea Of You, Not Anymore, Ahead Of Ourselves)

Yeah, I'm just being literal about it, but not dismissing them at all as they have some songs I really like (and I'm very fond of Broken as well).

I know they were released over the course of three years but if all three EPs were combined into a single 16 track album? I think it would be a really great album and follow-up to Hesitation Marks. I think Trent just wanted to get stuff out sooner rather than later and so went the EP route but creating each one in a single year is impressive and if you put them together as one cohesive work you'd have a lot of variety and evolution like you said, which is there anyways but I personally think as an album would be more pronounced.

SUNKOS
Jun 4, 2016

Maybe Just Once is the original Everything.

SUNKOS
Jun 4, 2016

I was listening to PHM earlier given recent discussion and I wonder what a TDS-style version of Sin that's placed between Closer & Ruiner on the track listing would sound like? Great song already but I would love to hear a TDS era version of it.

Also read an interesting story about Al Jourgensen during the PHM recording sessions:

quote:

Minstry’s Al Jourgensen drugged Trent and shaved his eyebrows off while recording a Queen cover. Trent roped him in to produce a B-side for PHM: a version of Get Down, Make Love. While recording, Al set a rule. A simple rule. Power through the night, and if you fall asleep, you get your head shaven. High on coke and not exactly a betting man, Al laced Trent’s drink with Rohypnol and made deft work of Mr. Reznor, shaving his head, eyebrow and, well, not quite another full eyebrow before he woke up screaming.

Also a more technical but cool bit of trivia that I didn't know:

quote:

Every drum beat on PHM is sampled from Trent’s record collection, from bands such as Front 242 and 80s art-poppers Scritti Politti. "Every drum fill on Terrible Lie is lifted intact from somewhere,” he said. “There are six other songs playing through that cut, recorded on tape, in and out, depending on where they worked."

SUNKOS
Jun 4, 2016

Is Al still obsessed with thrash or is Ministry back to making good music? I haven't paid attention to them for a while.

SUNKOS
Jun 4, 2016

That song is awesome, it also sounds tailor-made to be on the soundtrack of a Lynch project. Shame the rest of the album is nothing like it because if it was it would be the best thing he's put out since Houses of the Mole, which wasn't great but did have some moments. I checked out Amerikkkant as well and it was incredibly disappointing, except for one track where I heard Al playing harmonica again which was awesome and something that he should do a lot more.

SUNKOS
Jun 4, 2016

david_a posted:

The best part of AmeriKKKant were the “fans” that got really upset by the shocking revelation that Uncle Al has left wing political opinions. Maybe they only paid attention to his 9/11 truther flirtations

I liked the entire Bush Trilogy but I consider that to be their end and Cover Up a nice coda.

Yeah, I saw they made a video for the Antifa track and clicked it just for the comments which were sadly predictable.

Al's always been political and had left wing anti-imperialist & anti-capitalist views that he's been very vocal about. Back in the mid 80's he was writing songs criticizing the US invasion of Grenada. I think he's more upfront about things now but that just makes it even more confusing, he's so forward with his views that I do not understand how anyone can be genuinely shocked by them unless they're trolling.

I can't put my finger on why/when people began thinking that all these bands which are rebellious by nature would be writing right-wing anthems but it's bizarre to see. The Rage Against the Machine comment reminds me of the band having to get involved and prevent their songs being used at some Trump rallies or something? Another time someone whined about their politics until Tom Morello pointed out he got his doctorate at Harvard.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SUNKOS
Jun 4, 2016

david_a posted:

Both Al and Trump railed against typical big business pro-war politicians

Which is funny because Trump is the epitome of a big business and pro-war politician. People really did just completely tune out the actions of the man and only pay attention to what he said and the fake construct of himself that he built. If he behaved in the exact same manner but was a Democrat those same people would have lost their minds (well, more so, and to even more dangerous levels).

Steering the conversation back to NIN, as well as being one of the best album closers (top 3 alongside Hurt & Zero-Sum for me) I really liked the live performance of Right Where It Belongs with the projection screen. I've always considered it a very personal and self-reflective song for Trent given he was fresh out of recovery but it works so well with that imagery as a political statement too.