Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bumhead
Sep 26, 2022

I know "still feels as fresh as ever" is a bit of a tired old music take, but I'm a relatively recent convert to NIN (gently caress knows why, I've always liked other industrial/metal/dark and gothy poo poo), and The Downward Spiral is probably the most transformative experience I've had with a piece of music in.. I don't even know, maybe forever?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bumhead
Sep 26, 2022

Yeah it's a skate and merch range.

Bumhead
Sep 26, 2022

Tony Hawks Pro Fist gently caress

Bumhead
Sep 26, 2022

The secondary highlight of that interview (after those pictures.. those pictures are definitely first) is that it sounds like Trent and Atticus are energised as gently caress at the minute - including to do more with NIN.

I thought that was nice to read instead of some variant of “I’m tired of touring” or “nobody loving listens to music properly anymore”.

Bumhead
Sep 26, 2022

I want all of the coats in those pictures. Can someone lend me $247,000?

Bumhead
Sep 26, 2022

I like Atticus' big daft head. He's like a big loveable dug.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bumhead
Sep 26, 2022

Good Soldier Svejk posted:

Yeah I don't think an album like "The Fragile" could ever be produced again, at least not in the current music landscape

You can hear the time, the money, and the desperation that went into making it in every track. Layers and layers and snippets you can hear cut from hours of studio noodling
I'd put it right there with Bowie's Outside as a perfect concept album that will never get the love it deserves.

I can only imagine how loving devastating it was for Trent at the time of release for it not to have been received how he'd hoped. I've experienced artistic rejection before but never on that scale.
It's no real surprise he didn't feel like writing again for a few years after that

As someone who has only got into NIN later in life, it blows my mind that The Fragile was ever not well regarded.

I think it’s phenomenal. The Downward Spiral is what it is - personally I think it’s such an uncompromising work that it almost transcends criticism or even praise as a music album alone - but I don’t think The Fragile is that far behind it.

Both albums have always kinda sat as a 1a/1b situation to me, and along with Broken form probably my favourite trio of releases in music.