Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

chime_on
Jul 27, 2001

ballgameover.mp3 posted:

It should be mentioned that it isn't necessarily fair to assume that other industrial artists can't write a decent pop tune. I think that a lot of the initial industrial bands like Throbbing Gristle, Cabaret Voltaire, etc. really wanted to expand outside of the traditional musical forms, continuing traditions from John Cage, Edgard Varèse and other avant-garde musicians, as well as more contemporary musicians like Zappa who were on the weirder and more experimental side. There's no reason to believe that they didn't necessarily have know-how with regards to traditional pop music forms, as well.

Well, it's not like Throbbing Gristle didn't write any pop songs-- Gen in particular wrote more overtly poppy stuff than Trent Reznor has ever attempted when he moved onto PTV.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chime_on
Jul 27, 2001

LordPants posted:

The dog that died falling off a stage on the Further Down The Spiral Tour and appears on Broken?

Different dog.

chime_on
Jul 27, 2001
The Downward Spiral was released in March anyway.

chime_on
Jul 27, 2001
Apple just buys stuff like that and kills it. If they wanted to have a version of Spotify, they could have done it when they bought and killed lala.com. I bet they just wanted the headphones.

chime_on
Jul 27, 2001
When the single for "The Day the World Went Away" was solicited, it listed "Starfuckers, Inc." as a non-album track. I think it would have been a fine little curiosity if it had stayed there, but somebody decided that it needed to go on the album proper. Such a frustrating song, because it has some of the most amazing production, but such unbelievably stupid lyrics.

I remember when TDTWWA single came out, I was bummed out that one of the coolest little bits of music from the nin.com teaser site was buried in the bridge of "Starfuckers." For months, I had assumed that whatever track contained that music was gonna be some moody, atmospheric thing like "The Art of Self-Destruction, Part One," but then it was like "nope! we're gonna cover all that up with Trent singing a Carly Simon lyric!"

chime_on
Jul 27, 2001

axleblaze posted:

This is only tangentially related to NIN, there's a movie about Brian Wilson that's out called Love & Mercy and the original music and sound design is being done by Atticus Ross, including recreations of Wilson's auditory hallucinations, which from little I saw looks really dope.

Yeah, I saw it last week and the score is pretty cool. A lot of it is collages of little snippets of Beach Boys songs. Pretty trippy, probably more interesting if you know the source material well, but I'm sure it's a far-out listen even if you don't.

And I'd say it's more than tangentially related to NIN-- Atticus Ross is the longest serving member of the band besides Trent Reznor at this point.

chime_on
Jul 27, 2001
I mean, lol at Trent trying to blame any of this poo poo on Firebrand.

If they had given Firebrand the products, Firebrand would have fulfilled the orders.

NIN went ahead and racked up probably hundreds of thousands of dollars back in December, and then have been dragging rear end to get the loving albums manufactured. It does not take 8 loving months to press a 12".

chime_on
Jul 27, 2001
The episode "Crocodile" from the new series of Black Mirror was scored by 12 Rounds.

chime_on
Jul 27, 2001
New song is embarrassing. It came on and I was thinking "ok, blatant aping of Blackstar." Then the vocals kicked in. He sounds like a dumbass.

chime_on
Jul 27, 2001
Bad idea to have sound clips talking about “black filth” and “race traitors” in the release, imo

chime_on
Jul 27, 2001
The Blade Runner soundtrack didn't even get released until after Reservoir Dogs and Pulp Fiction really made that a "cool thing" in the 90s.

I think, when looking at TR's previous stuff like Natural Born Killers and Lost Highway, those were done in a very deliberate, collage-style, artful way. They also benefited from having the dialogue written by Tarantino and Lynch. This thing on the Watchmen soundtrack is completely artless, just dropping 2 minutes of a pretty hacky, corny and clumsy thing the show presented onto its own track-- no music at all. The fact that it's also contains white supremacist rhetoric is the poo poo cherry on top.

chime_on
Jul 27, 2001
Kind of tacky to put a hype sticker on the album claiming Sleazy participated in the sessions, when the guy is dead and has no estate to make decisions about his likeness. Guess Trent just wants to jump on that train of anyone remotely associated with Coil acting like they have the right to do whatever because they worked together at some point.

chime_on
Jul 27, 2001
There’s literally nothing in my post that indicates that I don’t understand the conceit behind the packaging, I just think it’s tacky to put a dead man’s name on a hype sticker to sell a record if the man had nothing to do with the record.

There are thousands of people who are fans of Sleazy’s work who don’t give a poo poo about Nine Inch Nails. The first I heard about the sticker was from a Coil collector who bought it and then realized it was bullshit.

chime_on
Jul 27, 2001

Photex posted:

are you saying that there was someone that thought Sleazy recorded an album with Atticus Ross back in 1985 at a fictitious crater where a giant squid killed millions of people? Because that's on the sticker too

No it’s not. The hype sticker says “The long-awaited release of the Manhattan Project recordings, overseen by Atticus Ross and Peter Christopherson. Remastered 2019 audio on 180-gram vinyl, original artwork and more. Halo ten
Originally recorded: November 2001”

It also credits Christopherson on the back cover as a co-writer of all tracks.

If Sleazy actually contributed to this somehow, like if Trent had some stuff laying around from when Coil was in New Orleans, then cool. If he didn’t, it’s misleading.

chime_on
Jul 27, 2001

Photex posted:

it says right on the back Recorded On Location At M-Site//11.3.1985/UK/The Crater it also tells you to wear your EDS filter if you are suffering form PTSD

And what exactly does that mean to a person at a record store who hasn’t opened the vinyl? I would say less than the names of real people, with a plausible date that they could have recorded music. I’ve read Watchmen, and am watching the show, and that means nothing to me.

chime_on
Jul 27, 2001

Photex posted:

don't know what to tell you then, be mad?

I’m on that, chief.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chime_on
Jul 27, 2001

magiccarpet posted:

Girl has a Gun got those Perfect Drug drums on it

Jack Dangers has never stopped making banging beats.