Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Quote-Unquote
Oct 22, 2002

Because I'm a massive nerd I like to make my own versions of NIN albums with various remixes and alternate versions and I have to say: I love the version of A Warm Place with vocals but it never fits on the album. I'm glad we got the version we did but I wish that track had a proper release.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quote-Unquote
Oct 22, 2002

Mogomra posted:

That's incredibly cool. Thanks! Niggy Tardust has been on my list of things to listen to forever, but I never got around to it.

Niggy Tardust is great. The opening track has some of my favourite bits of Saul Williams' poetry (From 'The Dead Emcee Scrolls') as the lyrics and it seriously rocks.

Quote-Unquote
Oct 22, 2002

Okay so I've installed iTunes and signed up to Apple music... how do I actually play this instrumental album? There doesn't seem to be any way of just choosing it as a playlist. I can play an individual song and then I can choose to either play something else by the artists (at random) or view it in the iTunes store, which just gives an error page and then redirects me to The Downward Spiral.

Plus it took me about half an hour to sign up for this thing because the download link on the iTunes website is for an old version, then when you try to start Apple music it says you have to get the latest version. Downloaded that and it wouldn't let me use Apple music because too many computers have been authorised for my account. Then it kept on saying there was an error processing my card, but it accepted it after multiple attempts. Figured out to press CTRL+B to get to the super secret hidden menu to deauthorise all of the others and authorise this one. Finally got into Apple music, looked for NIN and there's no mention of the instrumental album, but I found the single for Somewhat Damaged. Now I can't figure out how to get it to play the whole drat thing. And I can't find anywhere to cancel my subscription because holy gently caress iTunes is the worst media app I've ever used, it's even more terrible than it was last time I used it about five years ago.

edit: ohh, I have to click 'connect' on the NIN page, wait 10 seconds for the page to change (no loading indicator of any kind) then scroll down a bunch of messages and there's a link to choose a playlist.

more edit: Apple music asks me to choose my favourite genres and decades, I choose 60s, 70s, 80s and 90s blues, jazz, rock and alternative and it comes up with a page asking to pick my favourite artists out of Whitney Houston, Spice Girls, Backstreet Boys and Limp Bizkit. Great stuff.

Quote-Unquote fucked around with this message at 22:50 on Jul 2, 2015

Quote-Unquote
Oct 22, 2002

Don't be a dick, it really isn't very intuitive compared to Spotify. And in what universe do those suggested artists make any sense?

Quote-Unquote
Oct 22, 2002

Yeah I got the quiet mix with no lyrics (except the na-na-na at the start) so I assume that's intentional

Quote-Unquote
Oct 22, 2002

TOOT BOOT posted:

Atticus did the soundtrack to Fear The Walking Dead, and honestly it sounds so much like their movie work I really wonder whether he does 90% of the work.

I binge-watched Touching Evil the other week, which was fantastic, and Atticus scored that, too. Sounded a lot like Ghosts in many places.

Also the pilot has A Warm Place right at the start and the Still version of The Day The World Went Away at the end.

Quote-Unquote
Oct 22, 2002

AFewBricksShy posted:

Where did you find that?

Oh man, this is a honeypot. Well it's never been released on home media or streaming in any way, so I got it from a torrent (trap sprung!)

I'd buy the blu ray or even a dvd of it in a heartbeat if it existed, because it was so goddamn awesome.

Quote-Unquote
Oct 22, 2002

an oddly awful oud posted:

I wish Gunshots By Computer had been the actual opening track of YZ.

Same. I swap it out on my YZ playlist because Gunshots By Computer owns.

Quote-Unquote
Oct 22, 2002

BANME.sh posted:

He also did some long rear end spoken word album and the digital download files were aiffs or some poo poo, and nobody could play them unless you used QuickTime on a mac

The dead emcee scrolls? It's awesome. I liked the book a lot but the audio version is superb. A lot of the lyrics on Niggy Tardust came from the book iirc.

Quote-Unquote
Oct 22, 2002

Yearly reminder that Nine Inch Noels is hilarious
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MrPnwLjZbHs

Quote-Unquote
Oct 22, 2002

I have the vinyl with the 7" with the extra tracks

Quote-Unquote
Oct 22, 2002

precision posted:

Last is way better than Gave Up and Wish combined :colbert:

Bonus points if it's the weird Butch Vig version that sounds like a hair metal band

Quote-Unquote
Oct 22, 2002

My vinyl copy has arrived but I've only had a link to download God Breaks Down The Door and not the rest of the album. Is this normal? My record player is broken right now :(

edit: oh, the store says the MP3s are due tomorrow.

Quote-Unquote
Oct 22, 2002

I like Starfuckers

I wish it wasn't on the Fragile though

Quote-Unquote
Oct 22, 2002

Vehementer posted:

I really want that loving YZ TV show.....

They already made a TV show about a dystopian society run by the insane racist religious right, where the water is undrinkable, the police are militarised and gunning down innocent people in the streets and the most powerful people in the world are actively trying to destroy the planet in pursuit of personal wealth.

But they changed the name from 'Year Zero' to 'the news'.

Quote-Unquote
Oct 22, 2002

polyester concept posted:

i hope we dont get any more instrumentals

I thought that but then Ghosts V and VI were better than most of 1-4 imo. I just want a vinyl release already damnit.

Quote-Unquote
Oct 22, 2002

IUG posted:

Though I want a physical release of the second set too, since I'm trying to get all the Halos. :shepspends:

I think I have most released halos on CD. I know I'm missing two of the three We're In This Together Now singles and Further Down The Spiral V1 (since V2 was the UK/EU version, only one I ever bought).

On vinyl I've got all the albums (including Broken with the separate 7" for Physical/Suck, and the recent EP trilogy) apart from With Teeth, which I only just realised was missing and it's sold out everywhere - even the rerelease. Also got Deviations and the Quake soundtrack, and a handful of singles (I think Sin, Head Like A Hole, a couple of different versions of Survivalism and Capital G). I also have the deluxe Ghosts I-IV with the dvd and blu-ray audio release (not the $300 mega deluxe one, the regular deluxe one) and the 5.1 version of The Downward Spiral, plus a fan-made 5.1 version of Year Zero which is very good.

My best mate was in a charity shop when some guy turned up with several boxes of CDs and records to donate, including every Halo up to and including The Fragile on CD and most of them on vinyl too. He asked the guy if he'd be willing to sell them instead of donating them, and got the entire lot for £50. I've been insanely jealous ever since.

Quote-Unquote
Oct 22, 2002

stev posted:

Couldn't he have just bought them from the charity shop?

For a lot more, probably yes. A lot of places are pretty savvy and will look up prices of things.

Quote-Unquote
Oct 22, 2002

Good Soldier Svejk posted:

It's quite strange to live in a time when Trent Reznor is a prolific and honored Hollywood composer.

I felt this way about Clint Mansell after growing up listening to Pop Will Eat Itself.

Quote-Unquote
Oct 22, 2002

5.1 fragile deluxe edition when, Trent?!

Quote-Unquote
Oct 22, 2002

Molestationary Store posted:

A 5.1 mix was made and exists, and then the Deviations LP came out. I don't think a deluxe Fragile will be happening anytime soon if ever. :negative:

I have the 5.1 mixes of TDS and WT plus the fan-made mixes of YZ and TS, and they're all so good.

I guess it's a pretty niche market though.

Quote-Unquote
Oct 22, 2002

Mr Ice Cream Glove posted:

What fan remixes are these? I need to hear them

I can't remember where I got them, must've been a torrent a decade ago. They were both Isos to burn to DVD.

Quote-Unquote
Oct 22, 2002

sticklefifer posted:

Give 1994's Pandemonium a listen too. It's Killing Joke's most 90s industrial-sounding album, and it was released within a few months of TDS. KJ and NIN are mutual fans and influences in that way (same with Gary Numan), where their old stuff influenced early NIN, but NIN influenced their later works.

Seconding this recommendation; it's a great album.

Some of the vocals (including the title track) were recorded inside the Great Pyramid of Giza, because Jaz liked the acoustics lol

Quote-Unquote
Oct 22, 2002

What a poo poo poll!

Quote-Unquote
Oct 22, 2002

Still waiting on The Fragile 5.1

The official Downward Spiral and With Teeth mixes are great, and the fan made Year Zero, Ghosts and The Slip ones are very good too.

Quote-Unquote
Oct 22, 2002

I want a 5.1 mix of The Fragile for the 25th anniversary this September. The 10th anniversary TDS mix was good (as was the With Teeth mix that same year) and I love the fan made mixes of Year Zero and Ghosts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quote-Unquote
Oct 22, 2002

The only non-remix album I don't have on vinyl is With Teeth, because I thought I owned it and ignored the re-release. I did pick up the Quake soundtrack though, which owns (and I think the Sonic Mayhem Q2 soundtrack is supposed to be released soon)