Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Platypus Farm
Jul 12, 2003

Francis is my name, and breeding is my game. All bow before the fertile smut-god!

CAT rear end now!!! posted:

Why are there so many people filming the Kimmel show with their phones? It's being filmed by a professional filming crew and will be broadcast on the loving TV as well as put on YouTube, you don't need to film it yourself with your goddamn lovely phone why are you doing this jesus loving christ :tizzy:

I have to prove I was there to my facebook friends!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Platypus Farm
Jul 12, 2003

Francis is my name, and breeding is my game. All bow before the fertile smut-god!

Bliggers- posted:

I kind of wonder how much the band is costing per show. Lisa Fischer & co don't come cheap.

I'm sure all the musicians and singers are expensive, but yeah, like Charlie said... that light set up must be breaking the bank. I mean, power needs, the expense of lugging that poo poo around, having to pay qualified people to put it all together, probably having to pay for electric inspections and poo poo?

Platypus Farm
Jul 12, 2003

BANME.sh posted:

I'm only speaking for myself here, but I don't make a ton of money. I recently had a baby, have a mortgage, and it seems I gotta pay to get something repaired every other month. Money is definitely tight, but besides all of that, I was able to afford a ticket to see one of my favorite bands. A hundred bucks is a lot for only a couple hours of entertainment, for sure, but if you can't save $5/month to see your favorite band every two years, you must be terrible with your money.

From a lot of reports here and elsewhere, a whole bunch of folks decided to stay home though. People were saying that the boston shows seemed to be only half full, and my friend who saw them in OKC said that the uncovered part of the seats were probably about three quarters or less, so I think the massive cost hurt the tour's bottom line. I'm sure that a lot of it is Trent's fanbase is generally aging, and not willing to travel so much for concerts anymore, or stay out late, or find a babysitter, but certainly part of it was the cost.

Then again, with the European dates, and the Aussie dates with QOTSA, he's leaving the lightshow at home, but aren't tickets going for roughly the same amount as they did in the US? Seems like maybe the lightshow isn't the problem, but rather overconfidence in his ability to sell out an arena after several albums with lackluster sales?

edit - not saying the sales were BAD on the last handful of records, but they weren't anywhere near the levels his record sales were at when he WAS selling out arenas.

Platypus Farm
Jul 12, 2003

LordPants posted:

Australia is a different market but you're paying roughly the same amount for those two bands as you'd pay to see for any other band of that type. They're not under or overpriced but priced pretty competitively. Ie: the same as Muse. Bruce Springsteen can get away charging double what they do but he's the boss so that's okay.

Oh, okay that makes sense.

I was more referring to the Euro leg of Tension where it seems to just be NIN + a non super-star opener, and no lightshow, but the going rate was roughly the same. The Australia tour I misspoke - that would be one hell of a deal at US tour prices.

Platypus Farm
Jul 12, 2003

I dunno, 60 € is pretty much what I'd expect to pay for NIN here in Finland. Maybe someone here remembers how much they paid when NIN last did an European tour of their own?

Then I'll be really interested to see how turn out is for those shows versus how it was at US shows.

Platypus Farm
Jul 12, 2003

I'd totally blow $30 or whatever on an insanely high quality 3d blu-ray of this.

Platypus Farm
Jul 12, 2003

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

I suppose it would be a lot more appealing to me if, say, I was on the road all the time for work and had an AUX input jack in my car/truck and I didn't have the time to buy music and put it on my iPod. Then it would come in super handy. But for the situation I'm in now, I'd rather just hang onto my iPod.

And also had an unlimited data plan on your mobile device, which I think is a limiting factor which keeps a lot of people (like me!) tied to using MP3s or whatever on their phone/ipod instead of a streaming service.

Platypus Farm
Jul 12, 2003

hatelull posted:

He wasn't on stage for very long after the screen dropped and Homme showed up? I couldn't tell who left and who remained for the QOTSA song.

He was back there on the keys.

Platypus Farm
Jul 12, 2003

On the other hand, I really doubt trent was never told about the format of the final thing for the show.

To be clear, I think the cutting off business was obnoxious, but it's a show produced to run on television with particular and specific time requirements. I really doubt it was just a total surprise that they cut to commercial. And even if it was, he still got a fat rear end check, which is why he was there anyway, so...

Platypus Farm
Jul 12, 2003

That's... really not a very useful comment. Expand, maybe?

edit: ^^^ well yeah it's dumb, but obviously he was pretty upset over it, which doesn't make a lot of sense for someone who has certainly seen the show before.

also - betraying his beliefs? Really? No one forced him to show up. He was doing it because he wanted to do it.

Platypus Farm
Jul 12, 2003

True, but his gut instinct was "gently caress the Grammys", which he posted on Twitter a few years ago and has said before in reference to his Happiness in Slavery Grammy. I'm sure he signed up for it because it was a chance to play with some of his best buds on a huge stage in front of tons of people, not because of the check, and of course he's bummed out because the tons of people he wanted to play in front of only got to see an abridged version of what he was doing. He's not exactly hurting for money. I'm sure the pay was a nice bonus for him but I reeeeeally doubt that's why he took the gig. He still got paid so it's not like he was bitching about doing it for free or anything.

Okay, see that makes a lot more sense than him throwing a fit on twitter and just spraying some expletives. I can understand why he was upset, but at some point you gotta start saying more constructive things than just throwing out some gently caress this and gently caress that and calling it a day. If he spent five or ten minutes saying WHAT he was upset about, or was unclear over, that would be a lot more useful.

For example - if they never told QOTSA/Trent they were playing stripped down "medley" versions of their songs, that's hosed up. If they weren't told how much time they actually had to plan what they were doing? hosed up too. Talking about that stuff is the way to open more eyes about how cut-throat and not at all about the music the grammys are. But then again, yeah, everyone who cares about this issue knows the shows are dumb and all that.

Platypus Farm
Jul 12, 2003

The REAL Goobusters posted:

I was about to come in and post this haha. It's pretty good.

This thing is veryawesome.

Platypus Farm
Jul 12, 2003

dead56k posted:

that one was given out at pre-order events that happened in several cities across the US, mostly in movie theaters.
I attended the one in Dallas. they played the DVD and then people were given a chance to pre-order it from a local store, similar to the Year Zero listening parties.

I can't imagine those promo prints actually being worth anything since record stores probably all got a handful to promo whatever new album it was. Then everyone on the fanclub got them, and then there are all the others that went to radiostations/whatever.

Platypus Farm
Jul 12, 2003

Well he did say he wants to do something with those 40 demos before releasing the Fragile reissue...

In 2021

Platypus Farm
Jul 12, 2003

ExplodingSquid posted:

Guardians is going to be so left field, it's going to be great. The fact the "sexy" character is the one that will probably be doing the most rear end kicking out of them all.

I'm really curious to know if he's into comics too, this is the second Marvel trailer he has featured on.

I love the fact that the sexy actor is playing a loving tree man.

Platypus Farm
Jul 12, 2003

Photex posted:

and he only has three words in his vocabulary

The three best words.

I.
AM.
GROOT.

And since when isn't Vin Diesel sexy? He is awesome!

Platypus Farm
Jul 12, 2003

They've already played Downward Spiral in its entirety live before (a few years ago), so that wouldn't exactly be a big surprise but it would be cool to see.

And there are some super good recordings of the performances. Still, a pro-shot soundboard of it would be cool. Especially if it's an early-in-the-show tour so Trent's voice is kind of fresh.

Platypus Farm
Jul 12, 2003

ballgameover.mp3 posted:

Many times, and generally correctly so. Also, here's this :http://www.antiquiet.com/music/2014/03/nin-soundgarden-tour-dates-nine-inch-nails/

Hey, does anyone know anything about this 20th Anniversary Special Edition thing on Amazon: http://www.amazon.com/NIN-Nine-Inch-Nails-Anniversary/dp/B0014JGFIC

Trent hasn't plugged it, and I don't see it on nin.com, so...?

I can almost promise you without any prior knowledge, that dvd is just a burned disc of the wave goodbye tour.

Platypus Farm
Jul 12, 2003

I wish the qotsa tour was coming to america instead of this.

Platypus Farm
Jul 12, 2003

LordPants posted:

As tired as QOTSA sounded in Australia maybe you don't.

They can't be as tired as Soundgarden who have been tired since 1996

Platypus Farm
Jul 12, 2003

No backup singers anymore and the band is now a 4 piece (Trent + Robin + Ilan + Alessandro). The backup singers and added band members were only for Tension 2013 (last year's tour).

NIN tries to do something different for every tour they go on. That was last year's thing, and I think this year's thing is that they're trying to incorporate a lot more older material.

and also chris cornell

Platypus Farm
Jul 12, 2003

Well, maybe. Cornell's open to it, but he and Trent have never even met and nothing's final. That'd certainly be interesting to see, though. I wonder which (if any) NIN songs Chris Cornell's voice would work well with.

Oh, no I was just making a dumb joke about the soundgarden tour, not actually them collaborating.

Platypus Farm
Jul 12, 2003

Anonymous John posted:

Wish they'd skip an opening act and just have both Soundgarden and NIN play longer sets.

I honestly doubt Trent can go much longer than the normal 1:30-2:00 he normally plays without really loving up his throat. On some of the longer wave goodbye shows, you could really hear that poo poo getting raw the longer they went on.

Hell I might pop down to tampa for this.

Platypus Farm
Jul 12, 2003

glad to see he's still got the Diaper Shorts!

Platypus Farm
Jul 12, 2003

Dr Tran posted:

Diaper shorts, check
Screen malfunctions, check
Robin tossing his broken guitar, check
Camera malfunction during closer, check.
Festival-style set list, check.

Still, good show.

How's his voice holding up? By the end of LITS, he was sounding pretty ragged, and this tour has been going on for a -long- time.

Platypus Farm
Jul 12, 2003

hughesta posted:

Setlist was less exciting than Red Rocks, but it was still an awesome show.

Before 'Only,' Trent said it would be his last show here for a long time :(

Well he has been touring for a LONG loving time. I'm sure he's gonna take a nice long break after the soundgarden tour.

edit: seriously, I don't know how he does it. I'm only 32 and after a week long vacation I'm so ready to be home I feel like I'm 80.

Platypus Farm
Jul 12, 2003

I just hope he's not gonna retire NIN again after going so hard last year and this year :smith:

I doubt it.

I mean, after the last "retirement" which wasn't any longer than he's gone between albums before, it'd probably just come off as disingenuous and irritating.

Platypus Farm
Jul 12, 2003

how is that even possible

It better be a goddamn gallon jug with a straw sticking out of it.

Platypus Farm
Jul 12, 2003

Well Atticus toured with him for the HTDA tour last year, and I know at some point a song or two from their scores has been played live. I wanna say I remember seeing a setlist containing Hand Covers Bruise a while back? Although yeah, that would be cool if that happened. I'd love to see HTDA tour again. I know the album just came out last year but they didn't tour extensively for it. The Coachella webcast loving ruled though, as did all the fan-shot videos I saw from other shows of theirs.

With how much of a complete non-starter HTDA turned out to be, I'd be real surprised if we got anything else from that outfit.

That said, didn't trent mention that he and atticus were doing at least the second of the Steig Larsson movies?

Platypus Farm
Jul 12, 2003

The REAL Goobusters posted:

Well gently caress

How is this a surprise to anyone?

Platypus Farm
Jul 12, 2003

Lysdexique posted:

They denied it http://www.businessinsider.com/apple-shutting-down-beats-music-2014-9

Would be kind of dumb to shut it down after they just incorporated it on AppleTV.

Well I guess I was more asking why it would surprise anyone at all if Beats wasnt just rolled into iTunes so it could be an all in one Spotify competitor.

edit: also, lovin' dis soundtrack

Platypus Farm
Jul 12, 2003

chime_on posted:

Apple just buys stuff like that and kills it. If they wanted to have a version of Spotify, they could have done it when they bought and killed lala.com. I bet they just wanted the headphones.

Well I mean poo poo changes. Maybe they've seen a potential market, so they eliminated a competitor + bought up the infrastructure and the algorithms or whatever the gently caress wizardry these things work on in one fell swoop?

Platypus Farm
Jul 12, 2003

Earwicker posted:

I like it better now than I did when it first came out, but I still think it's one of the weaker NIN albums. There are some really great songs on it but as an album it just really doesn't hold together as one cohesive piece the way TDS or Broken or even PHM do, and its got too much not so great material as well.

Yeah, for me, Fragile is the epitome of "would have been better with some more editing."

There are a lot of cool songs, but holy poo poo is there a lot of filler.

Platypus Farm
Jul 12, 2003

sticklefifer posted:

I'd be surprised, given who he's up against. Lou Reed is probably going to take it.

Do they only do one every time?

I'm not being facetious, I have absolutely no idea how that works.

Platypus Farm
Jul 12, 2003

LordPants posted:

It's a hell of a the perfect drug.

No, you are.

Platypus Farm
Jul 12, 2003

spookygonk posted:

You got a thing about the letter "S"?

He's blind and using a voice to text program. Notice how the words with softer "S" sounds have an s?

Platypus Farm
Jul 12, 2003

Kaddish posted:

It was pretty alright but I liked Lights in the Sky tour better. Downward Spiral with Bowie was pretty good too but I was on quite a bit of acid at the time and it was a huuuuuuge show.

Yeah, LitS was my favorite tour by far.

Fragility was good, but it suffered (at least where I saw it) from being a gigantic arena show in a place with less than great sound, lovely seating, and on and on.

Platypus Farm
Jul 12, 2003

I got a copy of the notice before he posted it. There's a part he edited out, let me find it...

Here it is:

"I figured, since The Fragile's commemorative edition with all this poo poo was never ever going to be finished, I may as well get some use out of this."

Platypus Farm
Jul 12, 2003

Holy poo poo I'm completely hooked on this HEALTH album. It's fantastic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Platypus Farm
Jul 12, 2003

Jeeeeeeeeeeesus, the new HEALTH is insane. I'm listening to it at work and it's making me work twice as fast. This is a band I really feel like I need to see live someday.

I saw them open on the LITS tour and aside from Pygmy Love Circus and Melvins, they stand as the only opening act I absolutely loved.