Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Ok yeah I just opened mine and thought it was a gently caress-up because the envelope both inside and out is covered in black dust. From the way it smears and got over loving EVERYTHING ON MY DESK I'm guessing it's printer toner or something like that. The warning label on the envelope really made it seem like a "this music will cause you to think rebellious thoughts, user beware!!!!" type of thing, didn't think it was an actual disclaimer that "ok when you open this black dust is going to explode over everything in a 12" radius."

It's kind of retarded, IMO. The cards are pretty cool, but I hope they're waterproof because otherwise the whole thing is going in the trash.

e: loving lol Trent just trolled the poo poo out of me and everyone who's been trained to gloss over Terms & Conditions because it totally says "AND THIS IS IMPORTANT... This will make a mess." on the sticker

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

obeyasia posted:

I'll buy yours off you for $25 shipped.

Haha I checked on eBay and people are actually paying $60+ for these unopened. Not saying your offer is too low, just couldn't believe there's already such demand for them.

Once I get them home and clean them off a bit, I'll see if I want to frame them or do something equally artsy, otherwise they're yours if you actually want them.

Mind if I ask why you want them? Just a big collector of NIN stuff?

Non Serviam posted:

An unboxing of the physical component: https://www.instagram.com/p/BRG1kcThMfy/?taken-by=jmetalblast

Apparently there are some variations. I've seen some photos of colored lyric sheets, while others (like the video here) are just white.

Still, kinda fun. You knew you were getting artsy crap anyway

Yeah once the realization that the toner dump was an intentional artsy thing and not a printer error set in I actually started to look at them and they're kinda cool. Will post pics later.

Snow Cone Capone fucked around with this message at 20:30 on Mar 1, 2017

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Non Serviam posted:

I don't know if there's actual "demand." Since NIN often release things in short supply, it was obvious some people would just order them to resell them. Some idiot is listing his at USD 180 (he listed his preorder).

I'm OK with mine; I mean, it's a set of prints for 12 bucks. It's not a terrible amount for something from a band I love, as useless and pointless as it is.

How did you miss that the thing was going to be dusty though? My fingers got black just by touching the envelope, before I even opened it.

Honestly? Since the envelope is all-black I figured it was just a poor print job on the envelope itself, I didn't expect the inside of the envelope to be full of it as well.

e: I really did think the warning on the envelope was some sort of Year Zero "MUSIC IS SUBVERSION" deal, so the real answer is I'm a dummy who didn't read the warning all the way through

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

BANME.sh posted:

it's probably just charcoal, why on god's green earth would they use toner?

Whatever it is, it was hard as hell to clean off. Having experienced a black toner cartridge break and having used charcoal pencils in the past, it smears and sticks more like toner. I'm sure eventually someone will have a major freakout about it and Trent will issue an explanation somewhere.

Dr Tran posted:

Is it just black dust and cards or is there a CD inside? Not gonna open mine

No CD, just the cards. One of the ones I got looks like a blown-up negative photograph and it's on clear plastic, but the rest are cardboard.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Dang, they're 6x9" instead of 5x7 or 4x6. Finding a frame that'll hold all 7 of them is going to be a pain.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Spatulater bro! posted:

Wait, so there's no CD for NtAE?

Doesn't appear so, digital or vinyl only.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

The really good music Bittorrent sites are crazy about ridiculous stuff like that, where they'll request FLAC 24/192 upgrades to their current 24/96 or 24/48 FLACs while pretending that their $500 headphones and $500 preamp allow them to hear things they wouldn't hear on a V0 MP3 rip

hell even a V0 rip is designed to only go as high bitrate as it needs to at a given time and if you look at it they rarely go above like 224

e: poo poo, even production god/Alan Parsons reincarnate Steven Wilson thinks that 96/24 is as high as you need and he releases his poo poo in dedicated 5.1 formats and such, and in his own words even 96/24 is mostly a "why not" thing:

quote:

"“Even if the difference is 0.1 percent better, why wouldn’t you do it?” he asks. “There is information in those tracks that’s missing when you listen to a CD.”

Snow Cone Capone fucked around with this message at 05:22 on Mar 2, 2017

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

But it's not like I'm hearing the benefit of lossless files over Bluetooth in my car anyway, which is where I mostly listen to music.

:same:

I will admit that Trent's attention to musical detail means that the live poo poo is absolutely awesome in terms of quality. Another Version of The Truth - The Gift probably gets more play than any other NIN stuff in my car lately. Not only is the sound quality top-notch but I just loving love how the older stuff sounds with a full band - the Big Come Down is a prime example of that.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

david_a posted:

DVDs/BluRay support a variety of audio formats, especially if you also lump in the audio-only versions of them. 48KHz probably exists because of technical reasons (the math works out a bit easier than 44.1KHz which is a bit of an odd number). I don't know why they bothered going beyond that, but an AV receiver is more likely to add effects (stuff like "late night mode" that compresses the dynamic range) so maybe that has something to do with it.

I don't think you would need to jump to 96KHz for it, but I think I read somewhere that they bumped up above 48KHz so they could do 7.1 surround mixes on Blu-Rays. Dunno how true that really is, though.

Sir Lemming posted:

I mean, I'm not trying to say a CD version would sound like crap compared to the higher resolution version, just that it's unnecessary. At this point it places an arbitrary limit on the distribution and presentation. There are other, (possibly) better ways to distribute and listen to lossless digital audio, and NIN is using them.

I think that's basically the gist of that article I linked before - 44.1/48 is just an unnecessary limitation, so even if the sound quality difference is imperceptible there's no reason not to do it. It'd be like intentionally using older versions of production software when the upgrade is a free download.

Snow Cone Capone fucked around with this message at 15:42 on Mar 2, 2017

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Earwicker posted:

oh I agree it's unnecessary (unless it was some kind of aesthetic thing), just pointing out that the downgrade in audio quality is not in any way substantial enough to affect the decision either

that said it does seem weird to order an "album" and get an envelope with some piece of paper and some dust, even if you've already heard the digital version

Yeah I'm really not sure what I was expecting. It didn't mention a CD, just a "physical component" so I figured it was going to be some sort of artwork or print or whatnot. I still think the black dust thing is a little artsy-fartsy, but we are talking about a band that left USB drives in concert venue bathrooms that contained gibberish noise MP3s that revealed URLs and images when run through spectrogram software so :shrug:

In other news turns out the wife has a matting thingy so I'm hopefully gonna frame them this weekend.

e: I'm waiting for someone to figure out that if you dip the black envelope in rubbing alcohol the black paint comes off and reveals something that leads to a Year Zero pt. 2 ARG or something

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Earwicker posted:

there is only one recording of YZ pt 2 in existence, it was on one vinyl record which has subsequently been broken into 420,0000,000 pieces which are then distributed evenly among everyone who purchased this ep. that's the black dust. only in the event of all NIN fans coming together and assembling the album will it be heard.

just the latest battle in the great 21st Century NIN vs Wu Tang Gimmick War

I would 100% would not be surprised if it turned out the black dust was, in fact, the powdered remains of the only extant copy of the YZ2 masters that Trent recorded and just ended up hating.

Ultimate troll is if he tells people it's the powdered remains of the Tapeworm masters :v:

e: no wait let's make it bigger: Trent is the one who stole the masters for that lost Green Day album. That's what the black dust is.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Earwicker posted:

if that were true you should just put the dust in the garbage

haha joke's on you it's already firmly nestled in my lungs

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Immolat1on posted:

So whats the best way to rinse this poo poo off the cardboard pieces? I'm assuming water will ruin them. Is the only option for framing to frame them covered in grime for the ultimate ~metal~ experience?

I just wiped them down with paper towels. It smudged some of the pieces some but that just adds to the ~art~

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Obsurveyor posted:

Hah, he even showed us in the picture on the store exactly what we were getting, you can see the dust all over the bottom of it. Glad I looked this up before I opened mine. I wonder if it's stuff they use for finding fingerprints. That poo poo is like this. If it's toner, be careful, that stuff is carcinogenic, don't breathe it.

I ordered one but with some of the pre-order records so I have no idea when I'll get it.

Yeah it's probably not toner but like I said earlier I fully expect someone to have a full-blown freakout over it and Trent will have to issue a statement explaining what it is

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Leon Einstein posted:

They already said it's ground up make up.

Source?

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

I GOT MY ARMS A FLIP FLOP FLIP FLOP FLIP

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

david_a posted:

That will always be his worst lyric. Always.

Kelp Me! posted:

I GOT MY ARMS A FLIP FLOP FLIP FLOP FLIP

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Leon Einstein posted:

For the millionth time, that was a Pere Ubu homage.

Pretty Hate Machine owns, even if the lyrics are laughable.

Source?

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

BANME.sh posted:

https://genius.com/Pere-ubu-navvy-lyrics

They're from Cleveland too so it's not a stretch that Trent was listening to them growing up.

Makes sense, thanks!

I like the live version of Closer because you would be amazed how many people never realized there's a whispered verse during the bridge, and it's much more pronounced live:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qd5TBCu9hgM&t=155s

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Entropic posted:

Maybe I'm biased having listened to that album a million times on headphones as a teen, but how do you not hear that on the album version?

Honestly? I got into NIN really late (With Teeth/YZ era) and had heard Closer so many times on the radio or MTV or whatever when I wasn't that into them that I never really paid attention to it. I knew there was something being said but I never heard it clearly, so it almost seemed like a new part of the song on the live version.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Samopsa posted:

I really dig that live bassline coming in at the end of that verse :discourse:

TBH that live album/DVD (Another Version of the Truth: The Gift) is one of my absolute favorite NIN recordings. I've always respected how NIN was 99.9% Trent for the longest time, but I really love the sound that comes out of a live band. That live recording breathes awesome new life into already great songs and it loving rules. It doesn't hurt that the light show on that tour was absolutely insane.

loving Justin Meldal-Johnsen, his bass tone is so sick :kimchi: that whole lineup for this tour was stacked as gently caress.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dNXHR_Pe5JI

e: also the entire concert is free in HD, it's an absolute must-watch:
http://toiou.org/downloads/

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Immolat1on posted:

Well at least I've got some new bands to check out. And excellent points about tone and distortion. I guess a better example than Led Zeppelin would've been Metallica, which they have to be king of corny lyrics yes? (not industrial I know but this convo now applies to metal in general)

Definitely tough to strike that medium of serious, understandable and not pretentious but I think NIN comes pretty drat close. I just want to listen to some edgy lyrics without going over the cliff of "oh gently caress this dude is seriously crazy I'm scared." I do get a giggle out of FLIP FLOP FLIP FLOP every time some one references it though.

GIMMAY FUEL GIMMAY FIYAH GIMME THAT BIBABABIBAA

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Who plays bass in that lineup, Atticus?

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

algebra testes posted:

They toured Australia with that line up minus Ross and it was dope as hell.

I beleive Alessandro played bass, if anyone did at all.

Not who I would have guessed considering he's always in the back with his spoopy synth setup

although I guess it doesn't really matter, when they had JMJ on bass half the time he was playing guitar anyway

I still question whether or not they really needed Trent, Robin and Justin all playing the same guitar riff for Wish and a couple other songs :v:

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

The best thing is I can't watch the Another Version of the Truth videos without always remembering the other notable appearance of JMJ:

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Nine Inch Nails: FRAGILE WHEN

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Obsurveyor posted:

Ooh, the extra couple micrograms I have in mine is probably my hoodie too. :(

You might be able to pull a 5-second clip off an x-ray of my lungs after tearing open the package without fully reading the label

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Obsurveyor posted:

Decisions, descisions: Sprinkle on platter and try to play it on a record player or rub it all over my body and see how warm it keeps me this coming winter.

The 2nd option, but film it and it'll be the music video for the next single

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

I cannot wait for another EP for all the fans to get hyped about and then trash when it finally comes out

NTAE was good yo :colbert:

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Earwicker posted:

eh, personally I often just end up focusing on the music in movies even if the movie is pretty good.

that said I only made it about halfway through Girl With The Dragon Tattoo, not that I thought it was terrible but I'd already read the book and seen the Swedish movie version, and Fincher's version didn't seem to be doing anything new or different with it other than a better soundtrack.

Just as an aside, I never saw either movie, but I read the book and for the life of me I can't understand why it's an international megahit when it's literally some James Patterson-level generic murder mystery garbage. I recall the ending being particularly stupid.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Earwicker posted:

lol your question kind of answers itself, James Patterson is hugely popular, he shits out a generic "co-written" book literally every other month and every single one of them hits the top 5 on the bestseller list, often #1.

I thought the first book of the Stieg Larsson series was pretty good as far as typical closed-room mysteries go, the other two got increasingly outlandish but at the time I read them I had thrown my back out and was stuck on a couch and they were decent enough entertainment to get me through

Yeah I mean I know it's basically the same garbage (see also Tom Clancy, John Grisham, Michael Chrichton, Mary Higgins Clark, whoever writes those C is for Crime books, etc.) but it's always struck me as a little odd that this random Swedish crime novel blew up like that. I don't think I've ever seen a Tom Clancy novel adapted into a movie in a non-English-speaking country, for example.

I mean the guy who wrote it died under mysterious circumstances and a couple books in the series were published posthumously, right? IIRC there was a bit of :tinfoil: around all that so maybe that helped make it more well-known or something.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Hidden tracks were :krad:, one of the features I miss about buying CDs. Even better is pregap tracks, always loved those.

Due to being a stupid teenager who made bad decisions the sole remaining NIN physical media I have left are CD copies of With Teeth and the Day the World Went Away single :(

I finally have enough disposable income to feasibly get back into vinyl but digital is so drat convenient and if I was really a stickler for quality most of this stuff is available as FLAC anyway...

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

sleepwalkers posted:

Yeah, the CD version with the tracks on the same disc came after the mini CD version, and had tracks... what, 7 - 97 as one second long sliences and the two tracks as 98 and 99?

Uh EXCUSE ME it was a Mini CD, not a MD!! I am literally shaking as I type this!!!

Mini-CDs are dope, we use them for our product catalogs (it's cheaper than printing them). Fully compatible with any CD player (in fact if you look at a CD drive tray, there's the outer groove that a regular CD fits into, and then another smaller circular groove - that's for mini-CDs!). They store something hilariously small like 60MB though.

Ours are even fancy shapes!

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

[24 minutes of unnamed instrumental tracks that perfectly encompass the ambiance and mood surrounding my disappointment in the album packaging]

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

you guys who haven't gotten yours yet might be worried they'll get damaged

me, I'm not

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

The new EP is literally a shirt. You toss it in the washing machine to listen to it.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Spoiler alert the entire Trump campaign/presidency waa an ARG for Year Zero pt. 2

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-bFNYu7VKpk&t=62s

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

hbxli posted:

Aah, the age old question of "Do I love Nine Inch Nails more than I hate Itunes?"

I don't think I love anything in the world more than I hate iTunes on PC

it's a little frustrating coming from someone as generally anti-music corporate bullshit as Trent tbh

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

The REAL Goobusters posted:

https://youtu.be/gDV-dOvqKzQ

Less than

E: the EP is called ADD VIOLENCE and it's out July 21

I really like this. Really strong With Teeth/YZ vibes off of it.