Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ultramiraculous
Nov 12, 2003

"No..."
Grimey Drawer

Paper Jam Dipper posted:

It's also for rhyming. A big reason Nine Inch Nails made it big over other industrial acts (aside from pure talent) is that Trent conformed to verse-chorus-verse which made it really easy to listen, understand and repeat. When you grow up listening to KISS you get at least a little understanding in how important it is to have something people want to repeat.

That's what I've always tried to explain to people. Trent has pop music roots and knows how to write a song. Trent has honestly given me an appreciation for the insane level of production in modern pop songs too, because when you grow up hearing copier machine samples in Reptile or whatever, you start to appreciate the amount of insane layering you can put into a song and still have it sound like a song (rather than the cacophony of some other Industrial-y artists)

Also I just caught up on all the videos in this thread, and those backup singers are still my favorite thing I've ever seen in a NIN show.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ultramiraculous
Nov 12, 2003

"No..."
Grimey Drawer
Did they for serious just cut that performance off?

Edit: I mean I wasn't expecting basically anything, and then they pulled out the full light show...then Delta ad.

ultramiraculous fucked around with this message at 05:49 on Jan 27, 2014

ultramiraculous
Nov 12, 2003

"No..."
Grimey Drawer

Doctor Claw posted:

I hope Trent now a-flip-flop-flip-flop-flips his opinion of the Grammys back to the negative, hahaha.

Hopefully those labels don't have his head on a string.

ultramiraculous
Nov 12, 2003

"No..."
Grimey Drawer

samurai slowdown posted:

Well, they still came out ahead by not being Metallica because holy poo poo that was cringe worthy.

James Hetfield dressed as someone's dad was easily the worst part of that show.

ultramiraculous
Nov 12, 2003

"No..."
Grimey Drawer

This was made in 2014? I haven't heard anyone bring up the Manson stuff in years. Nothing Studios isn't even a thing anymore.

The REAL Goobusters posted:

Yeah I never heard anything from them but started listening to the album thanks to that notification I received from the app. I've also been enjoying Trent's playlists as well.

Trent was actually the reason I got into LCD Soundsystem way back in the day. He posted an "Ask Trent" response about how James Murphy was doing a cool thing back on the pre-With Teeth incarnation of NIN.com. It was all pre-rendered images in a weird typeface, if I recall.

ultramiraculous
Nov 12, 2003

"No..."
Grimey Drawer

It's weird how excited I am that my favorite 50yr old Apple exec is releasing music.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ultramiraculous
Nov 12, 2003

"No..."
Grimey Drawer
His full title is now "Apple Music Chief Creative Officer Trent Reznor" and he's best-business-buds with Jimmy Iovine, and if you told me this 10 years ago I would have told you to go gently caress yourself.

http://www.billboard.com/biz/articles/news/digital-and-mobile/7407889/apples-brain-trust-iovine-reznor-cue-and-kondrk-on

Edit: And I have a coworker who worked for Beats/Apple and I'm pretty sure he mentioned that Trent was one of the many artists Beats had perform at an awkward company event at one point (deeply jealous that he had Trent in his org chart, but that's beside the point)

ultramiraculous fucked around with this message at 06:27 on Aug 4, 2016