Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wazzit
Jul 16, 2004

Who wants to play video games?
My first NIN show, was able to get in the front on the left side. Trent put together an amazing lineup, the light show was incredible, although I think the visuals would have looked rad as gently caress from farther away. Finally hearing Wish live and being in the pit was loving amazing. Loved Explosion's set as well, one of my favorite post rock bands and was a treat to have them opening up.

Dr Tran posted:

Totally blown away. That's #2 all time after the Fonda show from Wave Goodbye.

I got in line at 12:30PM. They did wristbands at 3PM, got #28. Had time to wander and eat. Got in line Southwest Airlines style around 5PM. Scored a nice spot on the rail in front of Pino. Got my rear end kicked by the pit. Watched a girl behind me pass out and two others give up. We got a 28 song set I think because they were filming.

Explosions in the Sky was too loud and never went anywhere.

Haha I was probably right next to you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wazzit
Jul 16, 2004

Dr Tran posted:

I might be in front of you. High five after In This Twilight?

Haha, nah that wasn't me, I was on the very left, maybe like 1 person in from the left barricade.

Amazing show!

Wazzit
Jul 16, 2004

Wow that was a great performance, but what a terrible way to cut it off. Hopefully a full video finds its way online.

Also so happy to see Jon Theodore jamming out in a band again. :3:

Wazzit
Jul 16, 2004

I had decided that I wasn't going to go line up in LA for NIN tickets, even though the Palladium is a really cool venue and the only time I've seen them as at the Staples Center (In the pit, but still, Palladium is a much smaller venue). Come Saturday morning I'm looking at the hash tags and seeing people line up well before the allowed time. Apparently the line was an absolute monster, 'Oh well,' I thought, and took my time making breakfast. A few hours later I kept looking up the hashtags and thought that since the box office is open until 3, I can just show up a little later after the line has died out and pick up tickets, they are playing the Palladium 4 nights and I doubt it was going to sell out. My roommate had just flown out that morning on vacation and was texting me to see if I had gone after all, and I guess that just pushed me to go check it out. Downtown Los Angeles is about a 50 minute drive without traffic and I figured if tickets were sold out I'll just make it an LA day, go to Amoeba or see a movie.

I get there around 12:30, find a lot, the guy tells me that I have until 6pm to get back. I tell him that shouldn't be a problem, I'm only going to that line down the street. I walk into the venue lot and find a massive block of barricades that are completely empty, with maybe 6 rows of people left sitting in the line. There is also another area around the corner of the lot where there was around 25 rows where they are processing the tickets. The line was a lot longer than I thought it was going to be, but clearly there was a lot less people here than the morning so I got in line and and promptly pulled out my phone to pass the time. An hour later and we had only moved two rows. I was texting my fiance (who had work at 3pm) about the line, and told her I'm probably just gonna leave if the line doesn't pick up and get something to eat.

It was getting close to hour 2 when I decided I'll just commit to it and see if the line ever really picks up (it didn't). My phone was sitting at 30% because I'm an idiot that didn't plan for this and forgot to charge my phone the night before, so I just stood in line, people watched and uh as Trent intended, struck up conversation with the person behind me who was also in line by himself. We chatted a bit about how ridiculous this line was, shows we've been to, a bit about where we were coming from and why we got in line so late. I also noticed strangers next to each other started opening up and talking. I guess Trent's dumb experiment worked? Everyone was super nice in line, saving strangers spots when they had to go fill their meter or grab some food (they had food trucks in the lot) or use the bathroom.

At 3 hours we finally moved over to the 2nd section of rows. At length the rows were much shorter than the previous section. This was around 2:50 and I had guessed it would only be about an hour and a half more. 1 hour and 30 minutes later and I'm started to realize that I might not be back to the lot in time and was not sure if at 6 I would just leave the venue empty handed and make sure my car isn't towed away. This whole thing was also supposed to end at 3pm so they closed off the gates. Everything ended up working out as the guy at the gate was super nice about it and letting people in and out to fill their meters (which I didn't known about). Gave the parking guy another $10 (yeah) and got back in line.

Saturday was the first night to sell out. Everyone figured Friday would be next, with Tuesday and Wednesday the week after being all that's left. We talked about it in line and at that point we were just going to be happy with whatever we could get. There was a sign with the dates and one of the venue staffers walked up to board and X'd it out with blue tape. Around 4pm the same guy with the blue tape was visibly on the 2nd floor slowly walking to the board, the entire line erupted into boo's. The guy with a grin on his face slowly crossed out Friday. He then raised the blue tape in the air and uh people cheered and clapped? All in good fun I suppose.

Getting down to the wire, we were a few rows away from the makeshift box office they setup. There were about 6-8 stations and each transaction took around 2-3 minutes. I suppose that's why the line took so long. As the line dwindled down people that got their ticket would cheer and yell and the entire line would cheer and yell back at them acknowledging that yes, we loving endured this. Oddly enough they had someone going down the first 2 rows seeing if they would take a mobile ticket with an empty ticket holder just to speed up the line. It seemed a bit silly to wait 6 hours with only approximately 10-15 minutes left in the line take the mobile ticket.

At the end of the line a few us were talking about if this was going to be a trend and we all said we'll probably just eat the charges on stubhub and get hosed over by the scalpers. But it was kind of a fun experience all in all, maybe fun is not the right word, but interesting?? I basically people watched for 6 1/2 hours. NIN fans are an interesting lot :shrug:. I ended up picking up 4 tickets for Wednesday, exchanged a few fist bumps with other people I made small talk with in line, chatted it up with the guy that was next to me in line after finding out he got Wednesday too and said maybe we'll see each other there and headed out.

I didn't really expect to write this much about it but I thought I'd share some of my story. TLDR; 6 1/2 hours in line, overall it was an interesting experience, would never do again, can't loving wait till December.

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

I still can't loving imagine what NIN fans thought of Explosions in the Sky and Godspeed You Black Emperor as openers during the Tension tour (if they weren't familiar with them before)

I'd imagine there was a lot of talking over their sets.

I was upfront in the pit when Explosions was playing and there were two people behind me chatting it up through their set. It feels weird to ask someone to be quiet at a NIN show so I just ignored it. People around us ended up shushing them multiple times until someone politely asked them to quiet down. Explosions has some really quiet parts and you're stuck just listening to their conversations. (This ends up happening to A LOT of shows I go to, I tend to try to move away if I can but :shrug:. Who goes to a show and holds a full blown conversation about their week a show where the only band is the headliner?!) Anyways besides this the crowd seemed to enjoy them, and they are one of my favorite bands so that was an absolute treat to see them open up for NIN.

Wazzit fucked around with this message at 01:53 on May 22, 2018