Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Still a few months away, but I can't wait to see it :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Photex posted:

Periphery's singer Spencer Sotelo did a cover of Every Day Is Exactly The Same and released it yesterday https://soundcloud.com/those-loving-horses/every-day-is-exactly-the-same

it's not great but it's also not awful.
I like Periphery. Saw them with Deftones earlier this year and thought they were one of the better show openers I'd ever seen. Went home and got both of their albums, which are pretty good.

This cover's alright. Dude's voice makes it sound like he's hamming up the song a bit too much, and "purpose" doesn't sound like "porpoise" in this version :(

Plus it's a little by-the-numbers. Just sounds like he redid the original in the same style and everything. If he had done it in Periphery's style, now that probably would have been more interesting.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Two more dates announced:

quote:

We’re returning to Tokyo, Japan for 2 shows at Studio Coast on February 25 and 26, 2014. Tickets go on sale Saturday January 18. Visit http://tour.nin.com for details and more NIN2014 tour dates worldwide.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

BANME.sh posted:

This isn't news, but remember when this amazing thing happened?

I figure it's about time it gets reposted.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-k3TYNXwzHQ&hd=1
Oh yeah, that was badass! But before I saw what YouTube video you posted, I assumed you had posted Reptile from the Terminal 5 show of the Wave Goodbye tour with Peter Murphy hanging upside down from the ceiling like a bat:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nje8TsDVtBc

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Trent posted these 2 pictures on Instagram and said Beats Music is launching in the US on Tuesday:

Doesn't look terribly different from other streaming music services, but I'll give it a shot.

That first picture shows what looks like a public playlist he made that people have subscribed to, so that's a pretty neat feature. That might set it above the rest, but I don't know if other services offer that sort of thing too since I only use a couple of them.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

I'm already gonna be watching them for Daft Punk's performance with Stevie Wonder, so hell yeah, this is awesome. I loved Mantra so I'll be satisfied if they play that or something else.

ballgameover.mp3 posted:

Well, there's this new NIN remix EP: https://twitter.com/nineinchnails/status/425681999047561216

Which I can't get, because none of my mobile devices are compatible with the Beats Music app, which awesomely can only be installed on mobile devices, and not on computers at all.
Aw man, Beats is a pay service? :( I signed up for the 7 day free trial to test it out. Apparently I could get 3 months for free because I'm an AT&T member but then I'd automatically get charged $15/month for it after the 3 months is up, which is stupid. So I guess I'll only be using this thing for a week.

The remix album wasn't impressive at all. None of them improve on the originals at all. Hot Chip remix of Satellite just goes on and on for such a long time and feels like it never goes anywhere. Cold Cave remix of Running was...okay. Simian Mobile Disco remix of Copy Of A was boring as gently caress and bore no resemblance to the original song at all. The Autolux remix of Everything was loving hilariously bad at times but it was probably the most interesting one out of all of them too.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

The REAL Goobusters posted:

????? What did you expect it was going to be? All the music streaming apps cost money on mobile even spotify. Soundcloud is one of the only free ones but there really isn't a huge selection or back catalogue on there.

I'm so far enjoying the app, a little bit more than spotify as well. I might bite the bullet and subscribe after the trial ends.
Pandora doesn't. Jango doesn't. DI.fm doesn't. iTunes Radio doesn't. Those are the only ones I've used in recent years. Well, I tried Spotify a few years ago and didn't like it so I never used it again.

At least a couple of those are major streaming apps and they don't cost to use. They have premium options that cost money, yes, but you don't have to pay a monthly fee to use the basic features.

And SoundCloud isn't an internet radio app. It doesn't have the same feature set as some of those other services, unless it does now and I somehow missed it.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

The thing about the free versions of those apps is just the radio. Which I guess is alright but paying for it is worth it imo to have full albums on the go.
Oh, I thought radio is what we were talking about :v:

If I want full albums on the go, I'll listen to my iPod. While it would be pretty cool to have lots of full albums available to stream on my iPhone, I don't think it's cool enough to pay every month for that when I have a solution for that already that works perfectly fine for me and doesn't cost me a monthly fee.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

sleepwalkers posted:

If you're obtaining new music every month/week/day/whatever, you're going to be paying money, unless you're just pirating it all. The difference is whether obtaining a small amount of music permanently or a large amount of music temporarily is the preferable option for $x/mo.
Yeah, that's what I meant. I'd rather just pay for music and have it on my iPod forever (or until I get tired of it and don't want it on there anymore) than have to pay for music and pay monthly to have it available to stream to my phone. Though if I was paying a monthly fee, I probably wouldn't be buying music anymore, and I like that too much to ever give it up and go the other way with it.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

I suppose it would be a lot more appealing to me if, say, I was on the road all the time for work and had an AUX input jack in my car/truck and I didn't have the time to buy music and put it on my iPod. Then it would come in super handy. But for the situation I'm in now, I'd rather just hang onto my iPod.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Platypus Farm posted:

And also had an unlimited data plan on your mobile device, which I think is a limiting factor which keeps a lot of people (like me!) tied to using MP3s or whatever on their phone/ipod instead of a streaming service.
I do have an unlimited plan and have for a few years, but it's not like I feel like I have to get the most out of it by signing up for a service like this and constantly streaming full albums to my phone. It is really nice never having to worry about hitting a data cap when I use the radio features of iTunes Radio, di.fm, Pandora, etc. though :shobon:

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Woah, just heard Trent's voice in a Beats Music commercial while watching Adult Swim. I wasn't even really paying attention to the commercials, but then I started hearing him talk and I thought "...Trent?", and sure enough, I looked up and it was a commercial for Beats Music.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Holy poo poo, they're playing Copy Of A with a full light show at the Grammies! :aaa:

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

I was wondering how long it would take him to say something about it.

There's the Trent we all know and love :allears:

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Ken Ehrlich, the executive producer of the Grammys, had this to say in response to hearing about Trent's tweet about getting cut off:

Ken Ehrlich posted:

I’m sorry he was upset. I was really thrilled that we were finally getting him on the Grammys. The final jam started with Arcade Fire a few years ago, and LL Cool J last year. I want to end on a high, an up note. I did tell them we’d take it as long as we could. The number was about five, six minutes long, and we got to within a minute twenty of the end. We got as close as we could possibly get.
Not really a proper apology though...

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Platypus Farm posted:

On the other hand, I really doubt trent was never told about the format of the final thing for the show.

To be clear, I think the cutting off business was obnoxious, but it's a show produced to run on television with particular and specific time requirements. I really doubt it was just a total surprise that they cut to commercial. And even if it was, he still got a fat rear end check, which is why he was there anyway, so...
Yeah but he was already kind of betraying his beliefs by being there (as shown by his Twitter), so to get dicked over like that by the event probably hurt him twice as much.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Platypus Farm posted:

also - betraying his beliefs? Really? No one forced him to show up. He was doing it because he wanted to do it.
True, but his gut instinct was "gently caress the Grammys", which he posted on Twitter a few years ago and has said before in reference to his Happiness in Slavery Grammy. I'm sure he signed up for it because it was a chance to play with some of his best buds on a huge stage in front of tons of people, not because of the check, and of course he's bummed out because the tons of people he wanted to play in front of only got to see an abridged version of what he was doing. He's not exactly hurting for money. I'm sure the pay was a nice bonus for him but I reeeeeally doubt that's why he took the gig. He still got paid so it's not like he was bitching about doing it for free or anything.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Oh my god, this is wonderful :allears:

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

TheJoker138 posted:

Yeah, Germs by Weird Al is a much better version of the same basic idea here, and is from...jesus, 15-20 years ago?
They're all over me!
They're inside of me!
Can't get 'em off of me!
I'm crawling with microscopic bacteria

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

jtr posted:

http://reflectinginthechrome.com/shows/2014/20140126.html

Rehearsal footage from the Grammy performance.
loving awesome. Really sucks that only like half of Queens' performance was shown, if that :(

There's no transition into "I am little pieces little pieces little pieces" in this version either so I guess they really played it that way, it wasn't just edited that way for time.

e: A friend of mine sent me a couple YTMNDs a little while ago so I started looking more up because I hadn't seen any in a few years, and I remembered this one which was always a favorite of mine: http://ytmnporpoise.ytmnd.com/

e2: Hahaha, holy poo poo, found this one too. Trent Reznor's thoughts on anti-aliasing: http://nomorejaggies.ytmnd.com/

Rageaholic fucked around with this message at 07:54 on Feb 2, 2014

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

13Pandora13 posted:

This is my favorite taking the piss NIN YTMND http://reznormix.ytmnd.com/
Oh my god, I can't stop giggling :mmmhmm:

That's just wonderful!

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Aw yeah, this sounds great.

Trent's UH UH UH UH HA HA HA HA is as goofy as ever :3:

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

"But now we're excited about being able to get into more Fragile and Year Zero stuff,"

YES
Oh gently caress :aaa:

I hope they do a US leg of this tour or we at least get to see some live streams.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Well he did say he wants to do something with those 40 demos before releasing the Fragile reissue...

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

After he finishes scoring his 10th Fincher movie.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mrts37zw6bg

I so want to see these vocals get used in a new Meathead video.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

TheJoker138 posted:

The NIN song in the trailer for Terminator Salvation was the best part of the entire movie.
Seriously. That trailer had me sold on the movie, mainly based on the song I think. Then I saw the movie in theaters and it was loving boring and there was no NIN in the actual movie.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

For reference:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hbjX7FwCZa8

Still gives me chills and makes me think the movie is something I know for a fact it isn't.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

They've already played Downward Spiral in its entirety live before (a few years ago), so that wouldn't exactly be a big surprise but it would be cool to see.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Woah, HTDA posted on Instagram that NIN played BBB and Ice Age with Mariqueen last night in Tokyo. I'm gonna need to find video of that.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Fuuuuuck, those setlists! :stare:

Feb. 25:

quote:

Me, I'm Not
Survivalism
Terrible Lie
March of the Pigs
Piggy
Sanctified
Disappointed
Came Back Haunted
Find My Way
Reptile
Hand Covers Bruise (Trent Reznor & Atticus Ross cover) (Live debut)
Beside You in Time (First time live since 2006)
Copy of A
All Time Low
Gave Up
The Hand That Feeds
Only
Wish
Head Like a Hole
Hurt
Feb. 26:

quote:

Somewhat Damaged
Letting You (First time live since 2009)
Terrible Lie
March of the Pigs
Piggy
Reptile
The Frail
The Wretched
Vessel (First time live since 2008)
Survivalism
Wish
31 Ghosts IV (First time live since 2008)
Burn
Gave Up
The Hand That Feeds
Head Like a Hole
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Encore:

Ice Age (How to Destroy Angels cover) (with Mariqueen Maandig)
BBB (How to Destroy Angels cover) (with Mariqueen Maandig)
Hurt

Rageaholic fucked around with this message at 01:14 on Feb 27, 2014

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Motherfucker. Seeing Great Destroyer live in '08 during Lights in the Sky was one of the most insanely awesome things I have ever witnessed, so I would love to see how they're doing that with the new band / stage setup. It's probably not nearly as crazy as it was then, but still.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

obeyasia posted:

Year Zero TV show, obviously.
Hahaha

I'm assuming it's a teaser for their new tour or a webcast or a concert DVD or something, although Tension 2013 is already getting released as a concert DVD so it's more likely one of the former two.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

NIN posted on Twitter that today's the 20th anniversary of the release of The Downward Spiral.

And I think the Closer single came out soon after the album, so that means I've been listening to that song for close to 20 years :stare: (I heard it a lot as a kid, well before I was a big NIN fan, as I'm sure some of you did too)

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Hahahahaha

I know the author italicized all the quotes, but it was still funny to see "'Nope,' he said."

Also:

Deadmau5 posted:

It's a two disc album, which is pretty cool, because if you don't like the one disc, there's always the other
:haw:

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

ballgameover.mp3 posted:

Ok, this has to be one of the best NIN covers I have ever heard: http://www.lowerfrequencies.com/2014/03/superhumanoids-march-of-the-pigs/
This is legit pretty interesting and not at all what I would think a cover of March of the Pigs would sound like. I dig it!

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Holy fuuuuck, just saw the email. That's exciting! They're not coming here so it looks like I'll be road tripping to Texas in August. I'll update the OP with dates when I get home.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Alright presale for NIN.com members for all shows is today at noon so I'm gonna try to get in on that. I've been a member for a while anyway. It's free to sign up.

http://tour.nin.com/

All the dates have been added to the OP.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Dr Tran posted:

Monday...
OH. Whoops. Thanks for telling me :shobon:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Dr Tran posted:

Was the ticket limit 2 or 4?
4, I believe.

Uhhhhh, tickets for the show I wanna go to are all in poo poo areas too. The $60 tickets are in one of the back rows of the back half, and then the $80 tickets are in one of the front rows of the back half. And then there's $100 tickets but I don't know if those are sold out or what because when I added them to my basket to try and see where they were located, I got this message:

quote:

At this moment there are not enough tickets available to fulfill your request. Please try again using a lower quantity of tickets or choosing a different ticket type.

Currently there are not enough Reserved P1 tickets to fulfill your request.
So this poo poo's stupid. I guess I'll wait for regular presale since I don't want to waste my money on terrible seats, especially when I'm going to have to drive 6 hours to see this show anyway.