Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I'm old, I'll sit down at whatever concerts I feel like.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Entropic posted:

You're only allowed to sit if you bring a ticket stub from a 1990 PHM tour show.

The one I went to didn't sell tickets, you just paid at the door like you would at any small venue. :colbert:

How has attendance on this tour been anyway?

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

STONE COLD 64 posted:

i saw them during 08 when they had the massive set and ga ran me like $30

Same, that's the last time I saw them, in Knoxville with Deerhunter opening. The crowd kept insulting Brandon for being a "fag" (he was wearing a UT cheerleader's outfit) and loudly yelling "WHO THE gently caress ARE THESE GUYS"

NIN fans are the best. :jerkbag:

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Donovan Trip posted:

Hello my fellow goons and NiN fans. I recently have gotten very, very clean in my life. I'm a huge fan and I have a new video from my album I just finished. I hope you won't mind if I promote it here, it means the world to me if you have a minute to check it out. This album is mostly hip hop with a few really out there tracks like this one, which is like if NIN and Prodigy beat the poo poo out of each other on cocaine. Thanks for reading this far also im gay

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mnGRCrk3PzI

lmao this owns actually

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

(spoiler alert: Bad Witch is an album not an EP because of placement in streaming services)

The way bands do this now is so weird. MONO's For My Parents, an hour long album, is listed as a "single" on Spotify :psyduck:

edit: Oh, it appears that's finally been fixed, but it was that way for years

precision fucked around with this message at 00:59 on May 22, 2018

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
the amusing thing to me about the 2008 tour was that Trent stopped the show in the middle and played stuff from Ghosts for an entire hour before getting the band back on, and that hour of Ghosts stuff got a lot more angry crowd assholes than even Deerhunter had done.

but man it was only $40 and it was super easy to get right in front of the stage, Trent even pointed at and sang at/with me on "Last" which was :swoon:

gently caress waiting 6 hours in line

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

obeyasia posted:

How long did you wait outside the venue before the show to be on the guard rail up front?

I didn't wait at all. We got there around 7, doors were at 8, there was a pretty long line but we all had our tickets already so it didn't take more than 30 minutes to get in (doors opened early)

I also left to get beers and came back to the front of the stage several times. It just wasn't that big of a crowd, there was a lot of empty space near the doors and sides of the venue. It was the Thompson Boling Arena in Knoxville, for reference.

edit: Also there wasn't a guard rail, the crowd went right up to the stage

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Barry posted:

When I saw NIN on the Wave Goodbye Tour (:rolleyes:) in 2009, he had Peter Murphy open for them. Then Peter Murphy came on for three songs towards the end of NIN's set, the first of which was Reptile, which he absolutely ruined. The air was totally taken out of the place. I like Peter Murphy and all but he should not be singing lead vocals for Reptile as if it's a Bauhaus song.

this, on the other hand, totally owned:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n8W4tslqVSg

Goddamn TVOTR is so good live

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Asnorban posted:

I was saying I’m tired of him just playing he staples. Retire EVERY song he has played consistently for the last 20 years. Play anything else, anything, for the main list. Then do a 4 song encore of staples. Just stop spending 9ish songs every drat time.

yeah that would be cool but let's be honest the overwhelming majority of people paying these prices are paying them precisely because they want to hear those songs

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

IUG posted:

I saw them with Alice In Chains about 5 years ago. The lead singer of Jane's Addition thinks that they're the fame level of Led Zeppelin or something. It was annoying/embarrassing. Even back in the 90s they weren't that popular.

I mean, at least in the 90s they basically were the Led Zeppelin of indie rock, but the fact remains they only made 2 and a half good albums and everything they've done since literally 1992 has been godawful.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

STONE COLD 64 posted:

its weird to see how old man yells at cloud hes being considering the buildup to year zero had all sorts of cool poo poo like finding usb drives in seedy concert hall bathrooms that had secret tracks on them to the arg that led to a secret meetup in a parking lot in la where people who figured out the arg and made it there in time got munition crates full of nin swag and a nin burner phone that would ring about a week later and just tell the holder of the phone an address, where they would be collected via bus and brought to a secret concert that was ended by a swat team raid juuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuust when they were going to play the perfect drug.

instead you guys got to wait 6.5 hours in the rain to talk to other 30-50 year olds and get some cool pieces of merch and listen to parts of a track like at a sam goody

yep basically

the year zero stuff was certainly a lot more interesting than the album ended up being

that fake FBI raid or whatever was legit cool

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I didn't like Year Zero much and for the record here are the rest of my thoughts on 9" Nails

PHM - stone classic, one of the best pop albums of the 80s, like a white industrial Prince
Broken - stone classic
Fixed - even better than Broken
TDS - good, was great when i was an angry 19 year old, is less great now
The Fragile - boring, bad, and boring. can't even remember most of the songs on it.
With Teeth - boring and terrible but i did like the first and last songs alright
Year Zero - eh, 'sallright. "Capital G" is really good.
Ghosts - totally awesome
The Slip - it's bad
Hesitation Marks - it's REALLY bad

sidenote, hey remember around 2003 when Pretty Hate Machine was actually out of print and hard to find?

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

lmao would you even still consider yourself a fan of theirs if the last album you really liked came out 20+ years ago?

i said Year Zero was "alright", meaning "not bad". it's not great but it's totally listenable.

but i mean, i don't really want to take this thread down the "no true NIN fan" route

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Saying an album is "alright" and "not great but it's listenable" doesn't make me think you enjoyed it.

I'm just saying, would you still consider yourself a Nine Inch Nails fan if you only really enjoyed the first few years of their career and everything from the mid-90s to the present has felt middling at best to you (except for an instrumental album that much more closely resembles a film score than a Nine Inch Nails album)?

i guess i just don't understand how it matters, like am i not allowed to post or what

like it literally doesn't matter if i'm "officially" a NIN fan, i have liked many things the man has done, and so i continue to be interested in his career.

like i would definitely not say someone isn't a smashing pumpkins fan if all they like is the first 3 or 4 records

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Eh, comparing Smashing Pumpkins to NIN doesn't really seem equivalent though. The first 3 or 4 Pumpkins records are the only ones that feature the original lineup (well I guess it's more like 6 counting both Machinas). Trent was literally the only official member of NIN until the end of 2016

Billy Corgan was functionally the only member of the band the entire time, well Billy and Jimmy anyway. Iha and D'arcy didn't record anything in studio, or if they did they were just playing exactly what he told them to play. It seems like a totally apt comparison to me. :shrug:

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I never knew he did this - fantastic cover of a fantastic song:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hfqktBLDjPU

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
"Grey would be the color... IF I HAD A HEART, COME ON AND TELL MEEEEEEEEE..."

Trent has never been known for good lyrics, but drat if he doesn't make the cheese work.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I'd also disagree about PHM having "dated" or "bad" production. Most of that is deliberate and works in the album's favor imo. It's not his best album, but also, it kind of is.

edit: also "The Nine Inch Nails" scene is a fantastic song/performance

precision fucked around with this message at 04:10 on Jun 1, 2018

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Leon Einstein posted:

I didn't say bad; just dated. The dynamic range on it is way narrower than on the later stuff. That was kind of fixed on the remaster though.

Oh, yeah that's true. A lot of songs sound much better with a bass boost.

I feel the same way about Loveless, even remastered, Shields kept the bass buried which really hurts songs like "Only Shallow" and "Soon". Great songs, but even greater if you turn up the bass because those bass lines are slinky

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Mein Kampf Enthusiast posted:

In my mind "shoegaze" has never referred to the musicians, but the listeners :v:

I believe it's sourced from the Burroughs adage that he could take heroin and have fun "staring at the end of my shoe for hours"

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Oh please let Donald J. Trump, President of the United States of America, tweet something whiny at Trent Reznor

e: I feel like the Donald would be a fan since there's a 99% chance that "Closer" was playing when he met one of his stripper concubines

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Do me a favor and just imagine Trump doing karaoke of "Closer"

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
the Melvins loving own but yeah Buzz is an Albini-level douchenozzle

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

Albini's that bad?

Arguably worse. After producing Surfer Rosa, he asked to have his name removed from the liner notes and called it "a pinched off turd"

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
lmao holy poo poo yeah the full quote is even more :smug: than i remember

Incidentally, he has never asked for his name to be removed from the credits for this masterpiece of indie rock

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

glam rock hamhock posted:

I heard their new radio single awhile back and it is hilarious they seem to be trying a radio rock thing like the Goo Goo Dolls because man they can not pull that off at all and that poo poo was horrendous

all that radio fart rock is the most painful poo poo to listen to. Goo Goo Dolls, The Verve Pipe, all that poo poo.

funnily enough the Goo Goo Dolls had like one decent grunge album before they went full AOR.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Mein Kampf Enthusiast posted:

It kills me that bands like that are considered rock when bands like The Sword and Graveyard exist that deserve to be on every radio station in the country

poo poo like that destroys my faith in people. Like I'll be talking to someone who says "oh well I mostly listen to hard rock" and then they list a bunch of bands that couldn't get hard in a whorehouse and I'll be like "have you heard of The loving Champs, Dead Meadow, Pelican, whatever" and they just look at me like :geno: and it's like LIVE A LITTLE

There's also a whole subset of humans who for some reason refuse to ever admit that something they didn't discover for themselves is great, which also drives me nuts.

Being a music-obsessive is a curse! Let me use it for good at least! :mad:

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
The loving Champs were buddies with Trans Am (there's a The loving Am and a The Trans Champs record but they're hit or miss) and they're pretty much just good heavy metal. Like they're jokey in the sense that they have a song called "Thor is Like, Godly" but they're not "ironically playing metal". They're great.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wH0AXOxibPI

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

algebra testes posted:

Albini is a total turd but somewhat mellowed out as he got older.

But his body of work is impressive though.

This is true, but it's also true that when he produces an album he just turns everything on and leaves the room. His production style is "raw" because he doesn't really do anything.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Is it Gave Up or Happiness in Slavery that he barely had any input writing?

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

STONE COLD 64 posted:

i was always under the impression that suck was written by albini

"Suck" is what I was thinking of, and yeah that was written by Pigface/Albini and I believe Reznor/Interscope failed to put that in the liner notes for the first pressings of Broken.

Also the Pigface version is better in every way, even Reznor's vocals are better on that version lmao

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Last is way better than Gave Up and Wish combined :colbert:

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Half of it doesn't sound much like NIN at all, in a super good way, and I wonder if Trent feels obligated to keep going to the same wells every few songs or if he really just digs it.

I mean I'm not one to talk, J. Spaceman definitely has a formula and literally only ever sings about love, heroin, and Jesus, so... :v:

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
There Will Be ARGs, I mean Trent is the guy who once said "if I spent half as much time making music as I do playing DOOM I'd have made ten Downward Spirals by now"

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Atlanta is really good yeah. Childish Gambino's music, however, is... not really good.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

glam rock hamhock posted:

Man in suit: Hello, Mr Reznor. I'm from Child Protective services

Trent Reznor: Is there a problem

Man in suit: This might seem unusual but I have here an injunction that prevents you from naming your own children. This isn't something we usually do but it's come to our attention this is something you can no longer be trusted to do

Trent Reznor: Oh come on now, I'm not that bad at naming.

Random studio guy: Hey Trent, here's the final mix for song poo poo Mirror off your upcoming album Bad Witch

*Man in suit's eyes narrow as Trent Reznor starts sweating profusely*

lmao :perfect:

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
look guys, face it, industrial music is fascism

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
In light of recent events I'm pretty sure it was Trent's idea to name the band "1000 Homo DJs"

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Leon Einstein posted:

Al took credit for it; there's some story behind it I can't remember.

Oh yeah, you're right - I recall the story existing too, but also can't remember what the story exactly is.

I never knew this though:

quote:

1000 Homo DJs is a side project of the industrial band Ministry. Even though the involment of Trent Reznor in the band isn't fully understood, it is definite that he sung the original vocals to "Supernaut." But because of contractual obligations with TVT Records, Al Jourgensen had to distort the vocals and say they were his to release the song.

hahaha

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

sleepwalkers posted:

Big Man With A Gun.

this is the correct answer. even when I was 18 it was an embarrasingly stupid song.

edit: "That's What I Get" owns you mugs