Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

blue.eyed.ash
Jul 17, 2006

Winner of the 'How Badly Will A Phone Game Milk Us Idiot Cash Cows?' Contest!

Answer: About $70USD for a bad character that unlocks the grind for another.

extra letters: star-lord star-lord star-lord star-lord star-lord star-lord star-lord star-l

Dr Tran posted:

They didn't have the three screens but the light show was still good. Happy we got I'm Afraid of Americans and All The Love in the World.

Night two was fairly different, the first part of the setlist was like the Austin City Limits set and we got the songs from Hesitation Marks that they didn't play the night before. My girlfriend got the setlist and it turns out that they had planned to play Only (but didn't).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

blue.eyed.ash
Jul 17, 2006

extra letters: star-lord star-lord star-lord star-lord star-lord star-lord star-lord star-l

Dr Tran posted:

Pretty much the worst crowd I've ever been in. The couple in front of me showed up at 9:30, talked to each other for an hour, then left after Wish. Most people around me were seated the whole show.

Completely agree. I thought the Saturday crowd was a bit better, but that may just have been where we were standing.

blue.eyed.ash
Jul 17, 2006

Photex posted:

Has Trent made any mention if his love/hate for comic books?

I've been told he's not a huge comic book fan, although he's pals with Grant and Kristan Morrison.

blue.eyed.ash
Jul 17, 2006

Dr Tran posted:

I only recognized Alcatraz and the Griffith Observatory.

We didn't get a proper Bay Area show last year because of Outside Lands, so I'm assuming between the map of the US and all the pictures of cities that we're looking at another leg of the U.S. tour.

blue.eyed.ash
Jul 17, 2006

Apparently Soundgarden also posted a tour teaser today, and given the Dallas listing people are thinking a co-headlining tour may be happening.

The Downward Spiral and Superunknown both turned 20 this year, so it makes sense, I guess.

blue.eyed.ash
Jul 17, 2006

Bliggers- posted:

Yes all seating levels available, unfortunately the selection is very limited now depending on which show,

I got a pair through the NIN.com presale and then found WAY better seats through the Soundgarden presale for Shoreline, so it's worth checking.

blue.eyed.ash
Jul 17, 2006

Willeh posted:

I love Ministry but uncle Al looks like an 80 year old sack of bones these days :gonk:

EDIT: Mixed up my dates.

blue.eyed.ash
Jul 17, 2006

RestingB1tchFace posted:

The Downward Spiral is one of those rare albums that is pretty much great from the beginning to end. Still never understood why 'Reptile' isn't one of NINs biggest hits. It's my favorite NIN song.....

It's a pretty big live staple to this day, even if it didn't get released as a single.

(Supposedly Trent wishes he had released it as a single, but I can't find a source to verify that.)

blue.eyed.ash
Jul 17, 2006

Megazver posted:

We're in This Together seems like the biggest song that didn't get played a lot, if this list is correct. Most Ghosts tracks got performed more.

It's out of his normal vocal range, so it shows up rarely.

blue.eyed.ash
Jul 17, 2006

Immolat1on posted:

Since these recent releases seem to be politically driven, what the hell is The Lovers about? All the other songs from this EP, and most from NTAE seem negative while The Lovers is way different. BERNIE!?

I dunno, but it is the same length as Dear World, and also features the line "everyone seems to be asleep." Has anyone tried splicing them together or looking at them in a spectrograph?

blue.eyed.ash
Jul 17, 2006

Apparently a really crappy cellphone rip of “We Got Ahead of Ourselves” is floating around. It’s really low quality, but sounds like more late ‘90s drum & bass-inspired stuff, albeit with more traditional song structure and vocals.

Jury’s still out, but I’m a little underwhelmed by both the songs I’ve heard from this album so far - I feel like the previous two releases had songs where Trent and Atticus were revisiting old sounds but still writing music that felt new, where as these two tracks feel dated.

Obviously I didn’t hear the second song in any sort of reasonable quality or context, so I’m hoping my worries are all for naught come June 22.

blue.eyed.ash fucked around with this message at 01:23 on May 24, 2018

blue.eyed.ash
Jul 17, 2006

Sir Lemming posted:

Well, I mean, let's not get ahead of ourselves

I just made that post in the hopes that someone would go there

And it worked

Yes it did

(My opinions and the song leak are both honest though)

blue.eyed.ash
Jul 17, 2006

blue.eyed.ash posted:

Apparently a really crappy cellphone rip of “We Got Ahead of Ourselves” is floating around. It’s really low quality, but sounds like more late ‘90s drum & bass-inspired stuff, albeit with more traditional song structure and vocals.

Jury’s still out, but I’m a little underwhelmed by both the songs I’ve heard from this album so far - I feel like the previous two releases had songs where Trent and Atticus were revisiting old sounds but still writing music that felt new, where as these two tracks feel dated.

Obviously I didn’t hear the second song in any sort of reasonable quality or context, so I’m hoping my worries are all for naught come June 22.

So I guess I did get ahead of myself. Song rules. :v:

The whole thing feels like The Slip and Broken had a baby who is super into David Bowie.

blue.eyed.ash
Jul 17, 2006

HorseRenoir posted:

The long gap between this one and the last 2 EPs makes me wonder if Trent originally wrote this album to have more direct references to the previous 2 EPs but decided to make it more of a standalone album instead. There's some callbacks to the previous EPs but it doesn't really acknowledge whatever worldbuilding and connection to Year Zero that Add Violence was hinting towards.

I think he pretty much said exactly this in the Apple Radio interview. He felt like things were going in too much of a “sci fi” direction and things were entirely too hosed up in the real world for him to continue down that path, so they scrapped what they were working on and went in more of an experimental direction.

I would’ve liked the third part of Dear World/The Lovers, too, but it sure wouldn’t fit with this group of songs.

blue.eyed.ash
Jul 17, 2006

glam rock hamhock posted:

I mean it can be both. Even if you take the song as to be about a person, it still might be uncomfortable for a former addict to sing a love song where love and how it makes you feel is contextualized with drugs.

Interestingly, The Lovers is about an addict sneaking away and going out, and the process of writing it and exploring that headspace did make Trent rather uncomfortable.

There’s a great Song Exploder episode about it.

blue.eyed.ash
Jul 17, 2006

TOOT BOOT posted:

Trent did a speech for The Cure's induction into the Hall of Fame, which is weird because I could have swore he said the whole concept of the Rock N Roll Hall Of Fame was bullshit:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ptZhqvlbdp8

He sure did, he acknowledged that he did in his speech no less, and then he cited the recognition of The Cure as being the thing that changed his point of view on the topic.

Crazy how people’s opinions can evolve over time!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

blue.eyed.ash
Jul 17, 2006

Molestationary Store posted:

Pretty sure it's been mentioned that there's a thread on what's now called gearspace that details a ton of production stuff of NIN with many people who were involved chiming in here and there. :eng101:

I had no idea they changed the name of the place; that’s great.

I was lucky enough to get one of the TDS-era Zoom processors they used back when Trent was selling off all his gear, and it has a bunch of the settings they used for recording still on it. For that vocal sound, you want a tremolo with a high rate and deep depth as a starting point.

(And yes, the first thing I did when I powered it up was find the Ruiner guitar tone and bang out the solo.)

blue.eyed.ash fucked around with this message at 15:30 on Jan 15, 2022