Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese

Tekopo posted:

The last refuge of the die hard brown nose is to blame the player, not the game. It isn't the rules that are badly written/balanced that drove people away, it's the players trying to take advantage of badly written/balanced rules that drove people away :downs:

Star Trek Attack Wing cannot fail, it can only be failed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"
Honestly I think people who like STAW more than X-wing probably play it because the maneuvering's easier and it's way easier to make super-ships that roll 7 modified green dice every time. X-wing is much, much more restrained about what upgrade cards and ships can do. Interestingly, though, X-wing did implement the ability to attack upgrade cards very recently, though it's very situational. I think that was in STAW from the beginning.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

That's fine, but direct design decisions have lead to the game being more or less unplayable at a competitive level, although unlike AoS this wasn't an intended feature of the design (I'm not saying this is a plus for AoS, but at least they acknowledged it out of the box). The problem is that to play the game casually and still make it have sense, you are required to make rules in order to prevent the excesses. In X-Wing, it is entirely possible to play casually even with try-hard netlists, because even though the top meta lists are more likely to win, the gap between them and more casual lists is lower, especially if the casual list still uses sensible design principles (ie nothing by MWG).

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

:laugh:

Tekopo fucked around with this message at 21:36 on Feb 13, 2016

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

Britons readin my thread, takin my advice.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

For some context, the Yavin open is part of an 8 country special tourney where the winners go on to do a tourney at Star Wars celebration 2016. The regional for X-Wing only opened about 10 hours ago and only 72 slots are left open. Compare this to the STAW National, which only has spaces for 32. And nobody has signed up :lol:

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Guess the turn out for the most recent Regional Event in NYC.

Go on, guess.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

3 people?

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Otisburg posted:

Guess the turn out for the most recent Regional Event in NYC.

Go on, guess.

Well NYC is a pretty big place so I'm gonna guess five.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

Also tickets sold for the STAW UK national after more than a week has gone up to 9. I just attended a Store Championship for X-Wing where we had 57 people attending.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

6 people attended the STAW regionals in NYC.

I just went to an X-Wing store championship in Nowheresville, Cheeseheadland, and that drew 24.

Owlbear Camus fucked around with this message at 02:39 on Feb 21, 2016

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Otisburg posted:

Yesssss, closest without going over.

Finster Dexter
Oct 20, 2014

Beyond is Finster's mad vision of Earth transformed.

Otisburg posted:

:gowron:

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Now that I am finally done with this garbage, they actually come out with an organized play arc based on the Best Treks.

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

Otisburg posted:

Now that I am finally done with this garbage, they actually come out with an organized play arc based on the Best Treks.

Just show up with your X-Wangs.

And get crushed.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

What's the actual arc then?

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Tekopo posted:

What's the actual arc then?

Trek II, III, and IV

(VI would be good, too, but is not part of it.)

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

Lol no way they're doing a whale movie (best movie) arc? Whats the scenario for it? If theres a whale crew card prize I might have to actually get that poo poo.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Prizes are the cardboard to run an indy Reliant with new version of Khan And Friends, Kruge's BOP, the HMS Bounty, and the grand prize is the Enterprise-A (Apparently this one actually includes the model.)

Looking at the prize cards they even seem to have tightened up the wording by aping X-Wing's style, clarifying which step things happen in and stuff.

Not buying any new poo poo, but I may play in these with fun thematic fleets from what I own when they're run locally.

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

Eh ok I can safely skip this and auction my stuff if theres no whale themed prizes.

Otisburg posted:

going back to this tho, the Chicago regional had 0 people apparently.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

zVxTeflon posted:

Eh ok I can safely skip this and auction my stuff if theres no whale themed prizes.

going back to this tho, the Chicago regional had 0 people apparently.
Who won?

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Hello, yes! Is being very good day for posting, no?
By the sounds of it, everyone.

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

zVxTeflon posted:

(best movie)

Correct.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Fish out of water comedy Trek great Trek.

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

Otisburg posted:

Fish out of water comedy Trek great Trek.

The Voyage Home was my very first exposure to Trek in any form, if you can believe that. I thought that Bird of Prey was just their ship.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Jonas Albrecht posted:

The Voyage Home was my very first exposure to Trek in any form, if you can believe that. I thought that Bird of Prey was just their ship.

The rules are up for all the scenarios and Voyage home is pretty boring. Rather than some kind of business where you fly to a planet to beam up a whale token or something, it just has the probe flying across the map loving with you.

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

Otisburg posted:

The rules are up for all the scenarios and Voyage home is pretty boring. Rather than some kind of business where you fly to a planet to beam up a whale token or something, it just has the probe flying across the map loving with you.

Ahahaha

I menan...I really should have expected that level of :effort: given previous scenarios but jesus that is some straight up lazy poo poo and completely par for the course

:fuckoff: ST:AW , Gracie the whale is too good for you

Sir DonkeyPunch
Mar 23, 2007

I didn't hear no bell
Spend one action to ask where the nuclear wessels are

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

No bonus scenario where you try and create a closed-loop paradox?

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

There haven't been many news on the expansions recently (the last I can find is a wave 23 preview at the start of February), has the beast been slain?

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

Tekopo posted:

There haven't been many news on the expansions recently (the last I can find is a wave 23 preview at the start of February), has the beast been slain?

Game dead, so what.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

gently caress I need to get off my rear end, get my stuff sorted out and close the deal on this lot sale.

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

Otisburg posted:

gently caress I need to get off my rear end, get my stuff sorted out and close the deal on this lot sale.

Yeah. Don't sell those pumpkin futures after October.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
If you lie and claim it's a Micro Machine collection you'll probably get more interest.

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

It'll make sense, eventually.
http://www.antreduwookie.fr/2016/03/cycle-endor-force-pack-4-swjce-review.html

So Be It has

1) Even more Caravan of Courage canon
2) Rebel Mission that plain kills an objective of choice. :catstare:

Before you poo poo yourselves, it has 10 hp, so it's like an on-demand Guarding the Wing. Which is super cool imo, as it's effectively a trench run in a decent set that's still useful if you draw it few turns into the game.

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

Lichtenstein posted:

So Be It has

Before you poo poo yourselves, it has 10 hp, so it's like an on-demand Guarding the Wing. Which is super cool imo, as it's effectively a trench run in a decent set that's still useful if you draw it few turns into the game.

This looks like a fun game. What's it doing here?

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Lichtenstein posted:

So Be It has

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KlhzX7UKKNU

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

It'll make sense, eventually.
Clicking buttons is, apparently, hard.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

Lichtenstein posted:

Clicking buttons is, apparently, hard.
We all make mistakes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sir DonkeyPunch
Mar 23, 2007

I didn't hear no bell

Tekopo posted:

We all make mistakes.

i have a whole case full of them in my closet... including like 3 of most of the Dominion stuff :cry:

• Locked thread