Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sir DonkeyPunch
Mar 23, 2007

I didn't hear no bell

Otisburg posted:

The EM Pulse is pretty okay, and the antiproton scanner is a start against the supremecy of Star Cloak: Cloak Wing, which doubly fucks you as a Dominion guy with no in-faction access to Cloak.

I like the kraxon in theory since it hits harder at base than the breen cruiser, and that firing arc is handy too. I did my first op on Saturday, ran pure dominion ( I didn't realize the cross faction penalty was only one). I got messed up pretty bad, my plan was to have the galor stand off at range, but I didn't know what the scenario was ahead of time, so that sucked.

I sort of had no idea what I was doing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sir DonkeyPunch
Mar 23, 2007

I didn't hear no bell
Does anyone know how much the OP kits cost a store owner?

Friend of mine can't make the nights at our FLGS, so we're considering trying to get a different store to start a night, just curious how big of an investment we're trying to get the guy to buy into.

Sir DonkeyPunch
Mar 23, 2007

I didn't hear no bell
Ooh, awesome. It hits pretty hard. And I can cloak?! :swoon:

Sir DonkeyPunch
Mar 23, 2007

I didn't hear no bell
http://wizkidsgames.com/blog/2013/11/14/star-trek-attack-wing-organized-play-admirals-orders/

More resources.

Sir DonkeyPunch
Mar 23, 2007

I didn't hear no bell

Jonas Albrecht posted:

Hmm hmm hmm. Strike Forrrrrrce!

Koranak (26pts)
@Gul Dukat (5pts)
-Capture Intelligence (3pts)
%Long Range Tachyon Scan (2pts)
%Antiproton Scan (4pts)
*Enhanced Weaponry (5pts)
^Breen Aide (3pts)
=48pts

Gor Portas (26pts)
@Captain Jean-Luc Picard (of the USS Enterprise) (6pts)
-Sabotage (4pts)
*Photon Torpedos [Federation] (6pts)
*Energy Dissipator (5pts)
^Boheeka (2pts)
=49pts

Why fed photons? Energy dissipator followed by a dominion torpedo salvo amused me greatly

Sir DonkeyPunch
Mar 23, 2007

I didn't hear no bell

Otisburg posted:

Thing has three weapon slots. What I want to know is what you give a ship with a 6 die primary to make it worth taking secondary weapons, and how terrifying said weapons will be ported over to cheaper vessels.

Hold me.

It's gonna be :krad: I can't wait

Sir DonkeyPunch
Mar 23, 2007

I didn't hear no bell

Otisburg posted:

I think I might go with a two-ship build. The idea is it turns the other guy's three ship build into a two-ship build on the first turn and puts him on his fuckin' heels.

Neg'Var
Martok (LE)
In'Cha
Drex

Enterprise D
Jean-Luc Picard
In'Cha
Hikaru Sulu

Command Tokens

Turn 1: After setting up opposite my opponent double In'Cha to fly right directly at them and destroy their key ship with Barrage of Fire. Picard is on the lead ship and uses his free action to target lock and a command token to battlestations, to shore up the roll. If they haven't read this course of action from my list, then they might even oblige me by having shields down to beam guys to the planet. If not, I can use the Neg'Var's action to turn a couple off!

Then I guess I just snipe another ship and then let him limp around with the last one while I fight out the planet to ensure I get the extra battle point.

At least that's the idea!

You gonna be able to move far enough turn one for that?

Sir DonkeyPunch
Mar 23, 2007

I didn't hear no bell
I guess I can't comment too much, I worked out how far back to put my kraxon to jump it just over the planet on two 5s, that's pretty amusing, especially with a 180 degree ark

Sir DonkeyPunch
Mar 23, 2007

I didn't hear no bell

zVxTeflon posted:

holy poo poo I just looked up the command token thing. 5 extra free actions every OP event seems insane.

Also theres no ways anyones letting someone use that in a reg 100 pt game right?

can't say i'm jazzed about it in OP play tbh

guy used a sideboard at the event I was at last week, 10 points for 20 points worth of cards to swap around.

Sir DonkeyPunch
Mar 23, 2007

I didn't hear no bell

Otisburg posted:

Eh, I think the sideboard is a bit of a trap.

You can only access it once a round, and it costs your action.

Now if you could access it multiple times a round you could take some mostly bare ships and really tool them up on your first turn or two, but as it is it's a situational thing.

It worked well enough for my opponent. He used it right away on turn 1, then in the post first contact maneuvering turns. His main goal was to drop a third cloaked minefield right on me. Almost pulled it off

Sir DonkeyPunch
Mar 23, 2007

I didn't hear no bell
How are the flagship cards going to be given out? You get a random one or something?

Sir DonkeyPunch
Mar 23, 2007

I didn't hear no bell

Otisburg posted:

AFAIK the participation reward is a full set of 4 double-sided cards with one black ship base and peg.

I haven't gotten to physically look at my venues kit yet... or claim my Sutherland...

Ok, cool

Sir DonkeyPunch
Mar 23, 2007

I didn't hear no bell

Whitehorn posted:

Thanks for the hit ;)

This game has really taken me by surprise. It's put my other gaming hobbies on the shelf for the time being.

I'm responsible for that disco-coloured mess, so if you have any requests, toss them at me.

Is there a specific browser you recommend?

Also, should I be able to see how many elite talent slots a captain has?

Sir DonkeyPunch
Mar 23, 2007

I didn't hear no bell

Otisburg posted:

...Deploy them opposite so they have a vector to swing in on those ships turn one. A very wary opponent might do a move conservative enough to keep me out of max range with a transwarp ahead 6, but in my experience the local meta seldom slow-plays out of their deployment zone. Anything but a 1/2 distance maneuver will put me in range with a transwarp six. If they do putter off the starting line... well, that's a downside to this list to be sure. There's definitely less incentive to rush the objective this time out, so I may have to go back to the drawing board depending how practice games pan out.

The nice thing is, if your opponent does putter, you can always hedge and put down a 4 straight, and use that instead of engaging the optional transwarp ("may" being the operative word on TW), and keep yourself from being fully three sheets to the wind.

You'll have to let us know how the fleet goes

Sir DonkeyPunch
Mar 23, 2007

I didn't hear no bell
Dang holidays, I'm going to miss most of the occurrences of OP4 in my area :argh:

Sir DonkeyPunch
Mar 23, 2007

I didn't hear no bell

Jonas Albrecht posted:

My current plan for the next OP scenario.

Command Tokens (5pts)

Gor Portas (26pts)
@Picard (7pts) (33pts)
*Energy Disspipator (5pts)
*Photon Torpedos (5pts)
*Photon Torpedos (5pts)
^Mr. Spock (6pts)

Kraxon (26pts)
@Mirok (3pts)
^Konmel (5pts) (40pts)

Note quite sure what to do with my last seven points.

Hmmmmm, I'm wondering what you would do with the kraxon first round. Maybe one of the actions to reduce defense dice in preparation for energy dissipation ?

Sir DonkeyPunch
Mar 23, 2007

I didn't hear no bell
Just cracked open the RIS Vo. Man, this thing is maneuverable; not a single red maneuver, can come about at a 2 white.

wild

edit: oh, apparently the Apnex has a similar move profile

Sir DonkeyPunch fucked around with this message at 02:36 on Dec 7, 2013

Sir DonkeyPunch
Mar 23, 2007

I didn't hear no bell

Jonas Albrecht posted:

Yeah, the Portis is basically a boat you load with torpedos and then never have to enable them.

I occasionally play it with two energy dissipator and two torps, that's fun

On the list topic, I'm trying to come up with an OP4 list that's faction pure Fed, can't decide if I can cram three ships in there or leave it at 2 super kitted up with crew

Sir DonkeyPunch
Mar 23, 2007

I didn't hear no bell

Otisburg posted:

I feel like a two-ship build is the best way to captalize on the purestrain Federation's best assets: High skill captains, great crew and upgrades, and Going First. Trying to squeeze in 3 ships you have to skimp either on cool secondaries, cool crew, or high skill captains, or all three.

That said of course it's brittle as Hell, but eh. It FEELS Federation-y to be outnumbered going in with badass captains.

What do you have access to for feds?

I have one of all the retail releases

Sir DonkeyPunch
Mar 23, 2007

I didn't hear no bell

Otisburg posted:

Whelp, my OP4 list is going to look something like:

:words:

Thanks a ton!

I have a single Romulan Pilot, will probably deploy that handsome lady(?)

I don't think I've ever actually used mines before, I'll give them a shot. The guy who's one of the local consistent winners is a big fan of running all his stuff around wheel to wheel

Sir DonkeyPunch
Mar 23, 2007

I didn't hear no bell

Otisburg posted:

My whole idea is to transwarp forward, romulan pilot forward, catch them on the very first turn, and kill them very hard.

And yeah blow past that dude with transwarp and fart out mines on his cluster of nonsense.

So I subbed out the Defiant for the D... but the D doesn't have a slot for a Tech, so I'll rely on Uhura or the Cochrane Maneuver to put me where i need to drop the mines for maximum impact. I may play with putting the Defiant back in. I'm hoping to stay on the periphery with the Excelsior, make sure I can maximize its ability as well as keep back in Q torps range

thoughts?

USS Excelsior
Jean-Luc Picard
Feint
Mr. Spock
Quantum Torpedoes
Transwarp Drive

USS Enterprise-D
Benjamin Sisko
Cochrane Deceleration Maneuver
Miles O'Brien (base)
Antimatter Mines
Photon Torpedoes
Nyota Uhura

EDIT: This is not a legal list, do not use

Sir DonkeyPunch fucked around with this message at 02:43 on Dec 10, 2013

Sir DonkeyPunch
Mar 23, 2007

I didn't hear no bell

Otisburg posted:

Looks good to me. I crunched the numbers and assuming a scan token and Spock, Scotty is actually worth more hits on an alpha strike than Feint, if you can spare the other point.

Good point. And he's usable more than once theoretically.

Sir DonkeyPunch
Mar 23, 2007

I didn't hear no bell

Otisburg posted:

And rolling a bigger fistful of attack dice is more emotionally satisfying than denying them defense dice.

As a Vulcan I reject this premise entirely

quote:

(note my calculations were based on being able to convert battlestations on the attack dice vs your opponent rolling straight def dice. If they can reroll or convert or anything that might change my spergmath)

I'll write a strongly worded post if it fails me. :colbert:

Sir DonkeyPunch
Mar 23, 2007

I didn't hear no bell

RupertWalpole posted:

Has anyone seen someone in OP4 actually attacking the planet? I think maybe 1 of the players in mine did, while the rest of us treated it as pure deathmatch.

Well, I had to miss the event night of my "normal" group, but if there's no victory points at stake, I'm guessing they played it the same, kill kill kill

Sir DonkeyPunch
Mar 23, 2007

I didn't hear no bell

Otisburg posted:

If I'm not mistaken you're looking for the Reliant/Miranda Class.

Yeah, but he'd be rolling a single dice against the HQ

Sir DonkeyPunch
Mar 23, 2007

I didn't hear no bell

Otisburg posted:

True, but the question was which was cheapest.

The Enterprise/Constitution would be a couple points more and let you roll 2 dice at SFHQ.

In this event it might be worth spending the extra two points on the actual enterprise as often as you're going to be under aux power.

I'm not near my cards so I couldn't say for sure who had what moves (Feature Request for the Builder!)

I'm not sure what actions he would need to take to make the Named be worth it. He'll be thin on his other ships. Though additional shield might be handy

Edit: since I would personally consider a dancing enterprise to be an affront and a juicy target to honor the Founders with

Sir DonkeyPunch
Mar 23, 2007

I didn't hear no bell

Otisburg posted:

Well he'll be only rolling 2 dice against SFHQ-- and it DOES get the extra defense die if he's firing primaries at range 3. So Scan, BS, or Target Lock could come in handy. And if someone does decide to jump his designated SFHQ-blower-upper he can throw some wiggles in there.

Though making the USS Enterprise attack Starfleet Headquarters is Not Okay. :smith:

It's cool dude, there's ear worms or something.

Sir DonkeyPunch
Mar 23, 2007

I didn't hear no bell

Otisburg posted:

So here's how you really do it:

-Ferengi Missile Launchers
-Boheeka
-Drex

Go to battlestations with Picard or Dukat, activate Drex, fire the missiles. You're getting 2 attacks at 1 die, but between Drex and Boheeka they auto hit, and you get 2 tokens from SFHQ per turn.

Never thought I would see someone advocate the missile launchers

Sir DonkeyPunch
Mar 23, 2007

I didn't hear no bell
Turned out my last list was illegal, since I was priced antimatter mines at only 2 points for some reason

USS Excelsior

Jean-Luc Picard
Montgomery Scott
Mr. Spock
Lojur
Quantum Torpedoes
Transwarp Drive

USS Enterprise-D
Christopher Pike
Cochrane Deceleration Maneuver Miles O'Brien (base)
Hikaru Sulu
Nyota Uhura
Antimatter Mines

Ditched the photons for possibly more survivability? Plus, Pike going beep beep on those suckers.

Sir DonkeyPunch
Mar 23, 2007

I didn't hear no bell

Otisburg posted:

Interesting. Did you keep in mind that the OWPs count as ships for the purpose of mine placement? Did you face a lot of cloaked enemies?

In that vein, may consider adding a link in the OP to this preliminary, though not completely official (dude is one of the game designers though) FAQ

http://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1031156/st-aw-official-preliminary-faq

Sir DonkeyPunch
Mar 23, 2007

I didn't hear no bell

Otisburg posted:

Yeah we use that in our organized space war play. Someone got butthurt and emailed WK because its not on the "official" site and the rep who wrote back said it shoild be considered official.

The TO gets to dictate what is "official" anyways. Like TOs going to requiring faction pure builds, or (dis)allowing Admirals Orders

Sir DonkeyPunch
Mar 23, 2007

I didn't hear no bell

Otisburg posted:

I want to get some blue ones from litko with a Starfleet emblem but that's a bit spendy.

For everyone's favorite game, "Space Wing"

Sir DonkeyPunch
Mar 23, 2007

I didn't hear no bell
Woah, another dominion ship I have to wait 8 months for? Weird, but I guess that does answer my question of where the mid size Jem'hadar ship was

Sir DonkeyPunch
Mar 23, 2007

I didn't hear no bell

Otisburg posted:

Kind of weird that they're farting it out after the Dominion War storyline is done with, but eh, now you can do "WHAT IF... THE DOMINION FOUGHT THE BORG?" in the next OP event (after the two cool one-off TOS ones)

where did you find that list? I want hot preview knowledge!

Sir DonkeyPunch
Mar 23, 2007

I didn't hear no bell
The truth is all these sculpts have already been made for the Star Trek Tactics line, which I had never heard of, but appears to use the same rules as HeroClix. Just glancing at the Miniature Market page looks like they have the NX series, a couple of partially assimilated vessels, the Sovereign, and maybe some other borg ships in the pipe

Sir DonkeyPunch
Mar 23, 2007

I didn't hear no bell

Jonas Albrecht posted:

Unfortunately, that doesn't fill me with confidence for WK's long term plans for Attack Wing.

Licensed games have to go off the rails at some point, or just die. Only so many recognizable ships to work with, even x-wing will have that problem at some point

Sir DonkeyPunch
Mar 23, 2007

I didn't hear no bell

Otisburg posted:

Seems sort of fuckin' weird that they made the Bajorans and Vulcans separate factions from the UFP, but lumped the Cardassians in with the Dominion.

Yeah, I can't even remember more than a single Bajoran ship... maybe the Maquis will get added in there?

The Vulcans though? Wtf unless they go hard at Enterprise stuff, but there's no mention of Andorian or Xindi stuff soooo

Sir DonkeyPunch
Mar 23, 2007

I didn't hear no bell

Otisburg posted:

(link doesn't go anywhere yet)

Fingers crossed for giant Borg cube grand prize

Sir DonkeyPunch
Mar 23, 2007

I didn't hear no bell

Jonas Albrecht posted:

Well if he wants to get all huffy about canon, he should just declare the Enterprise the winner every time it shows up.

and then hit him with a two fisted overhead smash

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sir DonkeyPunch
Mar 23, 2007

I didn't hear no bell

Otisburg posted:

My dumb gimmick list finished 1 and 2. The one time it worked the guy practically cried about it and was really mad that transwarp shouldn't have worked so good cause ~it didn't work in the canon~ though.

What went wrong the two times it failed?

• Locked thread