Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

Otisburg posted:

Remember Mechwarrior: Dark Age with blind boosters where maybe you got a "real" battlemech, and maybe you got a labormech, the 'mech equivalent of a dumptruck or a combine, with no guns or anything?

gently caress I was so excited for Dark Age as a little kid. The loving mechs didnt even matter and it just turned into artillery spam for the whole game. Jesus gently caress wizkids gently caress everything they touch. Goddamn why did you remind me about this.

God I remember ever event and tournament I played in consisted of hordes of peasants making human walls around artillery emplacements with a handful of bikers running off to cap objectives or to charge into mechs/enemy artillery and lock them down so they couldnt move or use their ranged attacks. There was a single mech in the game that was useful (some named Ocelot pilot or something) because they could bolt across the map in the turn. So you were playing this bullshit artillery creep game against their stuff that was all about waiting for a shot to crack open their peasant line so you could bolt your one mech/bikers into melee with their artillery and turn them off.

gently caress that game was dumb.

kingcom fucked around with this message at 05:26 on Jan 22, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

General Battuta posted:

Christ. That sounds horrible.

I'm pretty sure that was the quote they put on the box.

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

FFG is cool and good. I'm legit happy to have a game company that doesn't actively screw me at every stage of the process. Hell the rules and balance are so tight I don't even care the business model is focused on getting me to buy all the things. I know everything I buy is going to be at worst a cool model and some new abilities for the ships I like. Buy wangs and armas.

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

How can torpedos be worse than proton torpedos in x-wing. The status of proton torpedos is still 'never take them'

Otisburg posted:

This is even more confusing, IMO, than having 20 different cards called "Photon Torpedo" that do different things. Not that that's not stupid, considering it would be trivially easy to technobabble out of by just having some be called "high yield" and adding "Mk I, II, III" and stuff.

How exactly do you explain a ship list to someone if there are so many variations on the same name?

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

Tekopo posted:

From the sound of it, it's due to dice bloat. 4-5 dice ships are endemic to STAW, while being relatively rare in X-Wing. So in X-Wing, taking Proton Torpedoes to boost your dice to 4 and have a special ability can be worth it, but in STAW your 4-5 attack dice ship is gonna waste a target lock to throw 5 dice at something for just a small bonus? What's the point

Also X-wing protons will actually be kind of nice once Guidance chips are out as well.

Oh poo poo right, I forgot that everything just packs gently caress off dice anyway.

Also ehh with guidance Chimps, it will make ordinance useful but I still think basic proton torps a bit of a waste. Reducing the pain from the action economy problem on Homing Missiles or Proton Rockets. :getin:

kingcom fucked around with this message at 13:48 on Feb 11, 2016

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

Tekopo posted:

There haven't been many news on the expansions recently (the last I can find is a wave 23 preview at the start of February), has the beast been slain?

Game dead, so what.

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

Otisburg posted:

Update: The intended function of this card was to let you remove an aux after a white maneuver, but not take an action that turn. Sort of like a lovely Chekov/Kanan Jarus.

http://win.wizkids.com/bb/viewtopic.php?f=24&t=10668&sid=0a7e0e8cb3894263c4ea196a3fb17490

Pretty sure they're just on autopilot having some intern or markov bot making rules text without an understanding of how the rules works as they try to milk this game for the last few buxx in its twilight.

:psyduck:

Thats not even loving close to what the card says

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

Otisburg posted:

They released another giant cube with a little ball that comes out like in star trek 8.

Traditional Games > Star Trek Attack Wing: Another giant cube with a little ball

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

Even via proxy Attack Wing is poo poo.

• Locked thread