Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
Otisburg please get help.

e; I mean that in a sympathetic way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
Before it dies I just want to point out how incredibly prophetic the tag for this thread turned out to be.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
Yeah, exclusive ships and upgrades is a terrible loving idea, it's the quintessence of maximizing your short-term hype at the expense of souring your long-term player base and probably cultivating an unhealthy attitude towards competitive play in the process.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
I've never known a single person outside these forums to even acknowledge the existence of DDAW, let alone anyone who's actually played it. Hell, I probably wouldn't know it existed except for people making fun of it here.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
Was it literally just dragons flying around? Like, the whole game was just "What if X-Wing, but dragons?" I legitimately don't know. Did they introduce new colors of dragons in successive waves? Did it even have waves?

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Tekopo posted:

It has 10 waves IIRC.

Holy poo poo what? How? Who bought ten waves of this stuff?

quote:

and it was a Wizkids game

Oh, never mind. Ten waves is like, what, a month's worth of releases?

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Jonas Albrecht posted:

I mean, Marvel at the very least must want the miniatures license back, right?

Mmmmmmmmmmayyyyybe? I don't really know what's up with the Marvel side of Disney/Marvel these days with regard to nerd game licenses and the like. Disney seems perfectly happy to let FFG be FFG and produce every Star Wars game they can conceive of, but the last Marvel licensed tabletop game was the Marvel Heroic line published by Margaret Weiss which was unceremoniously terminated after what people assumed was Marvel suddenly and without a lot of forewarning jacking the license fees out of MWP's reach. There was an announcement followed by a one week deadline and then every MWP product was pulled from digital distribution. A couple supplements were in the pipeline when it came down, so it really was pretty sudden. I'm not saying it's not Marvel's prerogative to do so if they feel like it, it just kind of came out of left field. They don't seem to give much of a poo poo about Clix though, so either the right hand doesn't care what the left hand is doing or Clix sells well enough that Marvel's content to let it ride, Wizkids quality be damned.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
Hahaha what the gently caress is this? 12 points for that, assuming Attack Wing is built on 100 points (idk if it is I'm just spitballing here) that puts it in the ballpark as a TIE Academy Pilot or a generic Headhunter, which have 2-3 red dice and 3-2 green dice respectively, the Headhunter has more HP, and the TIE has better action options.

Seriously, why would you ever, ever purchase a ship with 1 attack die? The only ship in X-Wing which does that is the HWK where it's pretty much assumed that you'll be putting a turret on it, no other ship in the game has fewer than 2 attack dice and 2 red is considered kind of bad without any way to either pile the numbers on or significantly enhance the output somehow.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Tekopo posted:

The last refuge of the die hard brown nose is to blame the player, not the game. It isn't the rules that are badly written/balanced that drove people away, it's the players trying to take advantage of badly written/balanced rules that drove people away :downs:

If it is the player's fault, why is X-wing booming and STAW dying? Does STAW just attract rear end in a top hat players for some reason? This is exactly the same excuses that people use for GWS product and it's just as much of a lovely excuse there as it is for STAW.

The thing to do with someone like that is to go "hey, let's play a nice, friendly, casual game" and then bring the most broken bullshit to the table you can, then when he inevitably gets pissy about it call him out for resorting to buzzwords and complaints about things being overpowered.

edit; I mean don't really do this because don't play Attack Wing.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Otisburg posted:

Guess the turn out for the most recent Regional Event in NYC.

Go on, guess.

Well NYC is a pretty big place so I'm gonna guess five.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Otisburg posted:

6 people attended the STAW regionals in NYC.

Yesssss, closest without going over.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
If you lie and claim it's a Micro Machine collection you'll probably get more interest.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Jonas Albrecht posted:

Haha.

What's the name of that cool new Star Trek game coming out?

You mean Mage Knight?

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Otisburg posted:

Huh, a 4x star trucks, not by WK? Gaurdedly intrigued. Wasn't my cup of tea but GF9 did a good job making a decent and thematic Firefly game.

If by "decent and thematic" you mean "a drawn-out interminable slog full of hoping the RNG doesn't gently caress you and praying for an early death" then yes.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Otisburg posted:

Since it wasn't my cup of tea I just played the one game. Perhaps it was an outlier as no one seemed overly ameritrashed.

Several people at my local board game meetup at the ol' FLGS played it for a bit and I don't think I ever heard tell of a game that lasted less than four hours. I mean, I love certain games that take a while, Argent: the Consortium can take like three hours with a full table, but Firefly: the Game just isn't anywhere near worth that amount of time imo. I'm just saying, I'd wait and see about this Trek game, maybe play a game or two with someone else's copy first, just so you don't wind up getting Wizkids'd.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
Look, it might be good, I'm just saying don't get your hopes up. Learn the lesson that Attack Wing has taught you, that there's no such thing as joy or beauty in the world and only death is certain.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Jonas Albrecht posted:

I mailed mine to Otisburg.

Everybody mail your STAW collections to Otisburg, it's the hot new thread meme.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
Just imagine how excited you're going to be to hear a knock at your door and there's the postman with a package for you. Just full of, like

lovely plastic spaceships for a bad game.

These are your sins now, the note inside reads.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

General Battuta posted:

I...but...it...

I guess "ship it and then write a new card" is one approach to product scheduling...

It's the day one patch as applied to tabletop games.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
*Paint not guaranteed to be new

• Locked thread