Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Gropey C
Feb 26, 2004

Groping one generation at a time
Cloaked mines is such a ridiculous card, it effectively acts like a turret to just control the area. I destroyed at least one ship per game in my OP tournament by using that card.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gropey C
Feb 26, 2004

I run two cloaked mines in my fleet because they're so annoying that I can literally just create a funnel for the enemy fleet to go through.

Gropey C
Feb 26, 2004

yeah right now my store is about to go to faction specific OP, pondering if its klingons or romulans for which I like better. Cloaked mines depending upon the OP are just wrecking balls and a half. Plus with the new healing commander you can dance around awhile and build your ship back up if need be.

Gropey C
Feb 26, 2004

cloaked mines are the most amazing poo poo, I won OP2 based on having three of them. Dropped them in a cluster and it prevented people from avoiding the platforms or my mines which lead to me winning every single matchup! I can't see them not being amazing tbh

Gropey C
Feb 26, 2004

Most of the time cloak is a trap...facing dominion or federation which exploits scan tokens you are better off just facing them straight up. It's a pretty crappy match up when facing a Dominion player who denies 4-6 dice in one round and shoots you for 4-6 per ship. It gets pretty bad in a hurry.

Gropey C
Feb 26, 2004

okay my OP4 is this weekend...I know I'm going to be matched up against a Feddie 2 ship fleet running 2 nine skill captains using the defiant and excelsior...any thoughts about beating it?

Gropey C
Feb 26, 2004

he's probably running double transwarp drives tbh. I was thinking two cloakers and playing defensive while I tried to out maneuver him and plink him down.

Gropey C
Feb 26, 2004

Went 2-1 this past OP5 using a variation of the slingshot build. I would have won the third easily but instead on one of my maneuver I ran into the other set of ships and got 3 ship Klingon blasted to hell quickly. I actually had a lot of fun running the build and it felt a lot of fun compared to the traditional type of builds I see.

Resource: Flagship Independent (Dominion) (10)

I.K.S. Maht-H'A (28)
Jean-Luc Picard (7)
In'Cha (5)
Boheeka (3)
Advanced Weapon System (5)
Ship SP: 48

U.S.S. Defiant (24)
Gul Dukat (6)
Flagship (0)
Quantum Torpedoes (6)
Projected Stasis Field (6)
Ship SP: 42

Total Build SP: 100

Now to begin thinking about OP6, I'm basically in a tie heading into the OP for the overall prize of the DS9.

Gropey C
Feb 26, 2004

So umm does this work like I think it will?

Resource: Flagship Independent (Klingon) (10)

4th Division Battleship (36)
Weyoun (4)
Flagship (0)
Conditional Surrender (4)
Breen Aide (2)
Photon Torpedoes (6)
Dorsal Weapons Array (3)
Antiproton Scan (4)
Long Range Tachyon Scan (2)
Ship SP: 61

I.R.W. Praetus (14)
Donatra (4)
All Forward Disruptor Banks (4)
Cloaked Mines (3)
Cloaked Mines (3)
Ship SP: 28

Total Build SP: 99

Basic idea being blow DS9 up on turn 1, drop cloaked mines on turn 2, exploit Weyoun and Conditional Surrender to basically just keep firing at ships until they're all dead?

Gropey C
Feb 26, 2004

I'm thinking of changing out the second ship to maybe something with like this

ChTang
Martok

and adding Strike Force.

Basically I forgo changing the battlefield for a better second ship and extra action on the battleship, and second part being probably dropping the breen aid to instead go for Scotty, just to try and ensure 5 attack dice in a 360 range.

I think I need to play a few practice games with the battleship to get used to it's pretty direct maneuvers and narrow firing arc.

Gropey C
Feb 26, 2004

yeah I know it's fragile, but my thought about it is you can't afford to just let the battleship sit there loving you up at 9 dice a turn while you try and kill the Ch'Tang who's main purpose is to just support the battleship, and if you're running a 2 ship fleet, forget about it. I'm still not sure how I deal with the Hideki Fighter squad though in terms of prioritizing them.

Gropey C
Feb 26, 2004

well I won my OP6 using this build

List Name

Admiral's Order: Strike Force (5)

Resource: Flagship Independent (Fed) (10)

I.R.W. Valdore (30)
Jean-Luc Picard (7)
Flagship (0)
Tactical Officer (3)
Bochra (1)
Interphase Generator (3)
Ship SP: 44

Koranak (26)
Gul Dukat (5)
Boheeka (2)
Cloaked Mines (4)
Cloaked Mines (4)
Ship SP: 41

Total Build SP: 100

First match was a simple two fed build, cloaked mines did damage, koranak almost got destroyed and then I ran it off the edge by accident. Second match, was tougher with the Valdore using its 4 actions a turn to really turn it around...once again Koranak got blown to bits. This two ship fed build made great use of the sideboard allowing him multiple cheat deaths, crew abound, antimatter mines, etc. I was really impressed with the use of the sideboard, and since flagships are getting banned at my store this might be my go to resource. Third game was against Picard/Guldukat Romulans with interphase generators etc. A little miss play by him and some great 4 action turn and sensor echoing from me picked me up the win. Koranak destroyed super early in the match as always.

In conclusion, Koranak wasn't worth it versus the shootouts we had. It just got torn to bits, and I would have been better off playing a Praetus and then booking it to DS9 and packing more on my Valdore. My cloaked mines netted me 14 hits and 3 crits in my 3 matches plus created multiple situations where my opponent was tasked with moving based upon their location. Tactical officer with battle stations is just an automatic hit with every dice pretty much.

My store is moving to faction pure and making flagships a banned resource. So it we'll see how it goes.

Gropey C
Feb 26, 2004

yeah I noticed that too, hard 2 or 3 turns that are white, 6 forward plus the stats are decent. Did this just become the goto fed ship...probably

Gropey C
Feb 26, 2004

So what happens to ablative armor or hull when used with reinforcements (sideboard) and swapping them out. I can totally forsee that being abused as gently caress on voyager

Gropey C
Feb 26, 2004

how is not a type? the federation one is tech. Guessing we'll have to wait to see the actual token rule to see and then get a clarification.

Gropey C
Feb 26, 2004

the potential weirdness is game effects are removed from the card when it's sent to the sideboard. This actually removes disabled, critical hits from things, so I'm not sure if it will remove the damage cards from underneath the AGT. I suspect with the vagueness of wording Parks will likely rule in favor of no abuse, but yeah can you imagine just stacking a second AG in your reinforcement and toggling between them? I MEAN COME ON!

Gropey C
Feb 26, 2004

Mostly it depends upon if you're going to be doing Organized Play events or just doing casual style play among friends. Both are great, but both are pretty far from one another imho.

Gropey C
Feb 26, 2004

well I'd go with the smaller ships then and play the scenario's. I think that tends to make for a better game than the best ships possible, because well that's the whole separate thing. Klingons and Romulans are a blast to play. Big time ships in order of importance to the meta game are...

Borg Sphere
Voyager
Bioship Alpha
Tiny Enterprise (crew is crazy)
Valdore
Bird of Prey
Reliant
Defiant

I think that's the order I'd buy them in...unless you want to focus on specific races which would lead to an entirely different list

Gropey C
Feb 26, 2004

Resource: Flagship Independent (Klingon) (10)
Borg Sphere 4270 (40)
Jean-Luc Picard (7)
Flagship (0)
Counter Attack (4)
Mr. Spock (6)
Feedback Pulse (8)
Ship SP: 65

I.R.W. Praetus (14)
Donatra (4)
Cloaked Mines (3)
Cloaked Mines (3)
Ship SP: 24

Total Build SP: 99

It's things like this that make me hate cross faction lists so much especially when it comes to the borg sphere. Being able to create a durable monster that can evade, regenerate, scan (effectively offensive battlestations), and have some of the best movement

Gropey C
Feb 26, 2004

Won my Tholian Web OP using Borg Sphere, Praetus mine boat with Donatra. After playing it...the sphere is just too loving good. I really don't know how you beat them other than play a bunch of mines or mirror.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gropey C
Feb 26, 2004

play sphere or lose to sphere...those are your options

• Locked thread