Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Muscular Typist
Oct 11, 2004

McSlaughter posted:

I'll be organizing a game night very soon. Keep suggesting maps (and provide download links if you can find them, otherwise I'll try to get them) and what not and I'll post some info probably tonight or tomorrow. (Also join the Steam group.)

We have to play Boreal Conflict, that game owns. I think I have it on my hard drive somewhere but if not I'll try to track it down.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Defghanistan
Feb 9, 2010

2base2furious
WC3 is the best RTS, thanks for making this thread!

Lead By Example
Jul 17, 2009

I buy and resell Pokemon cards for a living. If you're ever looking to sell your childhood, please reach out!
Fallen Rib
I'm currently in the middle of getting wrecked at Impossible Bosses. It's been way too long.

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

someone introduce jojo to lazyb

zanmatto posted:

I'm currently in the middle of getting wrecked at Impossible Bosses. It's been way too long.

All custom game nights must be Impossible Bosses on the hardest difficulty. No other maps can be played until we win. Twice :unsmigghh:

Defghanistan
Feb 9, 2010

2base2furious
So you can't load WC3 on OSX Mountain Lion

awesome

Time to boot camp I guess?

Sylink
Apr 17, 2004

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fP72HAzCyaA

Phasoms
Jan 27, 2004

<GLOMP>
The bosses are impossible. I mean, I don't even know why anyone bothers...

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

I would join in, but I have lost three different sets of WC3 CD keys, and don't currently have the money to buy a fourth. :sigh:

yap
Mar 19, 2003

Defghanistan posted:

So you can't load WC3 on OSX Mountain Lion

Time to boot camp I guess?

There is a wineskin wrapper that works, if that is less of a hassle than boot camping it, but still a terrible workaround.

SierraNovember
Nov 3, 2011
DON'T YOU FUCKING DARE TELL ME THAT YOU'RE A WOMEN OR GAY. I'M SO TIRED OF PEOPLE TELLING ME THAT THAT I KEEP BREAKING MY FUCKING KEYBOARD. GOD JUST READING THAT MAKES ME WANT TO BASH IT IN UNTIL EVERYTHING IS COVERED WITH BLOOD, FLESH, AND BONE AAAARGHAARHGHGHAHRHHFFF
Pudgewars anyone?

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

SierraNovember posted:

Pudgewars anyone?

Honestly, that and The Predator are my favorite minigame style maps. They're just so much loving fun, especially when the physics start to break down.

Adam Bowen
Jan 6, 2003

This post probably contains a Rickroll link!
I'm glad that we got World of Warcraft, as much as it's easy to poo poo all over that game now it was amazing in 2004. But I'll always be a bit bummed out that because of WoW, we never got Warcraft 3 as the RPG/RTS hybrid that was originally planned. Also, I've always wondered what the 6th race would have been before they decided to drop it down to 4. I know the 5th was meant to be the Burning Legion, but I've never heard anything about the last one. Warcraft 3 was still a glorious game from a better time, a time when Blizzard designed their RTS games without worrying about stupid e-sports bullshit, and added extra races because new races are fun even if they gently caress up multiplayer balance.

Frostwerks
Sep 24, 2007

by Lowtax
The multiplayer really wasn't that terribly unbalanced, at least for 1v1 though. And WC3 and TFT had some amazing competitive scenes. Really the fault of balance rests pretty squarely on Blizzard forgoing balance patches because WoW was a full price game with a monthly charge.

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

Adam Bowen posted:

I'm glad that we got World of Warcraft, as much as it's easy to poo poo all over that game now it was amazing in 2004. But I'll always be a bit bummed out that because of WoW, we never got Warcraft 3 as the RPG/RTS hybrid that was originally planned. Also, I've always wondered what the 6th race would have been before they decided to drop it down to 4. I know the 5th was meant to be the Burning Legion, but I've never heard anything about the last one. Warcraft 3 was still a glorious game from a better time, a time when Blizzard designed their RTS games without worrying about stupid e-sports bullshit, and added extra races because new races are fun even if they gently caress up multiplayer balance.

The naga were halfway implemented in the base game, so I assume they were the sixth.

Legacyspy
Oct 25, 2008

ThatBasqueGuy posted:

The naga were halfway implemented in the base game, so I assume they were the sixth.

Naga were not added until the frozen throne. A cursory google search claims that the sixth race was going to be goblins.

Some cool concept art:
http://sonsofthestorm.com/viewer.php?artist=thammer&cat=warcraftconcepts&art=1

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
One of my favourite parts of War3 was the huge variety of races and sub-races, even if they're partially developed NPC races. You have the base 4, and then you run into corrupted night elf bases producing satyrs and fel-orcs. Frozen throne brings in Blood Elf bases, eventually with Naga bases (Royal Guards for life). NPC Dranei could have their own bases as well. All of them with their own unique units and tech trees, even if they're a little under developed.

I'm probably missing some, but they added quite a lot of flavor to units that weren't part of the big 4.

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.
A friend of mine worked on a four new races map back in the day. It had Naga, Draenei, can't remember the others, but it was pretty cool. Old war3 guys might remember him as he at one point had 3 accounts in the top 20 across USEast and USWest 1v1: Politik/Exigent/1979

Defghanistan
Feb 9, 2010

2base2furious

Frostwerks posted:

The multiplayer really wasn't that terribly unbalanced, at least for 1v1 though. And WC3 and TFT had some amazing competitive scenes. Really the fault of balance rests pretty squarely on Blizzard forgoing balance patches because WoW was a full price game with a monthly charge.

Yeah what's this about balance issues? That game was pretty drat well balanced, I watched a hell of a lot of really competitive pro replays for years and years and loved it. Honestly it had way, way more staying power for me (personally) than SC2 did.

Part of that is the joy of watching heroes level up and become godlike with gear game after game, oh man.

Goddamnit I should setup bootcamp today.

L. Ron Mexico
May 14, 2005

Well, there was only one matchup that was/is really broken (Ud v Orc) and the rest is pretty decent. but that one matchup has been completely broken since like early ROC, which is not something you ever saw in starcraft games. I mean, we're talking something like 80+% winrate for orc for large stretches of time

e: i don't mean this as horrible balance-whining . not trying to cry about the horrible unfairness of the orcish horde or anything like that

L. Ron Mexico fucked around with this message at 19:54 on Nov 7, 2013

opulent fountain
Aug 13, 2007

I think the balance of war3 has shifted around a lot but, honestly, this game is probably ball-smashingly hard to balance. It's so random and unique and has all kinds of goofy poo poo going on on it, I'm impressed with how well Blizz managed to keep it together. Even the bad things were never too bad (with some exceptions as seen above which is just plain silly.)

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Vanilla War3's balance was really awful. People massed casters, NE players all made ancients to rush, creeping was super dominant, and people teleported at the first hint of danger. I remember a game towards the end where each player would teleport away the instant the other showed up to attack, eventually they went "meet in mid and fight?" and did so. You know there's something wrong with your strategy game when the fights have to be consensual.

Defghanistan
Feb 9, 2010

2base2furious

Cicero posted:

Vanilla War3's balance was really awful. People massed casters, NE players all made ancients to rush, creeping was super dominant, and people teleported at the first hint of danger. I remember a game towards the end where each player would teleport away the instant the other showed up to attack, eventually they went "meet in mid and fight?" and did so. You know there's something wrong with your strategy game when the fights have to be consensual.

It's not really worth discussing vanilla war3,there were massive changes to the combat system (armor and damage types) that ruined the "all caster" gameplay in TFT.

War3 vanilla was a complete and total mess.

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Defghanistan posted:

It's not really worth discussing vanilla war3,there were massive changes to the combat system (armor and damage types) that ruined the "all caster" gameplay in TFT.

War3 vanilla was a complete and total mess.
I know, my point was that things actually WERE "too bad" for a while. But it's somewhat understandable considering the nature of the game.

MVP
Nov 1, 2012

by Lowtax
I found the tree chopping sound effects to be really soothing.

opulent fountain
Aug 13, 2007

Cicero posted:

I know, my point was that things actually WERE "too bad" for a while. But it's somewhat understandable considering the nature of the game.

You made a good point, too. I never played online really until TFT, so I didn't know about any of that. Makes sc2 look not so bad pre-HotS (it wasn't an unbalanced mess, just got a bit stale)

Defghanistan
Feb 9, 2010

2base2furious

L. Ron Mexico posted:

Well, there was only one matchup that was/is really broken (Ud v Orc) and the rest is pretty decent. but that one matchup has been completely broken since like early ROC, which is not something you ever saw in starcraft games. I mean, we're talking something like 80+% winrate for orc for large stretches of time

e: i don't mean this as horrible balance-whining . not trying to cry about the horrible unfairness of the orcish horde or anything like that

I think I can get behind the fact that orc v ud was unbalanced but not that it was "really broken". The win rates just weren't that skewed. And I am saying this as a lifelong UD player that played *a lot* of games.

McSlaughter
Sep 12, 2013

"Kill white people and get paid for it? What's not to like?"

McSlaughter posted:

:siren: Update! (11/7/2013) :siren:

Users mannerup and sat. have generously given us the privilege of using their Mumble server to fulfill all our VOIP needs while playing WarCraft III together. The information is below:

Server: bros.typefrag.com
Port: 7675

If you do not have Mumble, you can download it off their website here. Mumble is a free VOIP used by gamers to communicate vocally.

Muscular Typist
Oct 11, 2004

Feel free to use the server to set up goon Warcraft 3 games or whatever. There are usually random degenerate goons playing DOTA or WoW or SC2 in the server so feel free to join or ignore us!

Delmin
Jan 7, 2012
Is the group using just battle.net to host the games or like garena or something? I remember when I played WC3 way back when that getting to host games was a total bitch to do. I love the game though, so I could get behind this.

Westminster System
Jul 4, 2009
Most people use bots/third party hosting sites that use bots nowadays.

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire
War3 was probably my favorite RTS game seeing how it had focus on micro instead of macro. I just can't ever really handle Starcraft's RTS versus Warcraft's.

Long live this game, probably one of my favorite ever. And probably will never be topped now that Blizzard is owned by Activision.

theultimo
Aug 2, 2004

An RSS feed bot who makes questionable purchasing decisions.
Pillbug
I still haven't beaten skibi td :/. My fav td ever.

Typhus733
Aug 30, 2008
God drat that OP brings back some memories. So many late summer nights spent playing Stonghold, Bships, Pyramid Escape, Burb, and so drat many more dumb custom games. Never played any ladder what so ever but that didn't stop me from pouring endless hours into this game.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010
Advent of the Zenith and Desert of Exile were pretty fun, shame they never got to be in Dota's top dog spot.

Typhus733 posted:

God drat that OP brings back some memories. So many late summer nights spent playing Stonghold, Bships, Pyramid Escape, Burb, and so drat many more dumb custom games. Never played any ladder what so ever but that didn't stop me from pouring endless hours into this game.

I played hundreds of hours of Warcraft 3 with my friends, every friday.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

The unique thing War3 did that no other RTS has ever matched in my opinion is the entire comedy aspect. I don't think I've ever laughed harder in my life than when observing games with my friends and some dude would lose his hero to creeps, or run his entire army into a wall of towers, or lose 8 units at once to the fat burping Panda man. Playing competitively was super stressful but also very funny at the same time. Nowadays people are even super seriousface about Dota, which coming from my War3 roots has always been a joke game for idiots/people too bad to ladder.

My favorite UMS was some RPG called The Imagica or something like that. It was very simple but also really addictive and good to play with a group.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010
Team Micro Melee's variations were so great. Spellcraft was neat too.

sforzacio
Nov 6, 2012

exquisite tea posted:

My favorite UMS was some RPG called The Imagica or something like that. It was very simple but also really addictive and good to play with a group.

Imagica was the poo poo. So many hours of my college years were spent LANing that map with as many players as we could find in our dorm.

The best map is Run Kitty Run though, but only the versions with the pitch altered Linkin Park track

Toady
Jan 12, 2009

Adam Bowen posted:

From David Craddock:

"After shipping StarCraft, Blizzard's ace team of strategy game makers returned to WarCraft to devise another row between the Orcs and humans, plus two new factions: night elves, and the undead," Craddock said. "Originally, Blizzard conceived six races. The fifth was the Burning Legion, an ancient race of demons that invaded Azeroth early on in the game. Deciding on a sixth race was like a game of roulette, with the development ball stopping on various ideas. One such race was the goblins, a mischievous and devil-may-care band of green-skinned warriors who had thrown in with the Orc Horde during WarCraft II's events. Early plans for a fleshed-out race of goblins in WarCraft III played up the kamikaze mentality of the goblin with designs such as a catapult that flung units across the map. Ambition gave way to reality when six and even five races proved too difficult for Blizzard to balance. Goblins and the Burning Legion hung around in the game, but not in the form of fully playable factions."

SirDrone
Jul 23, 2013

I am so sick of these star wars
No mention of Metastasis, Fellowship Quest, DBZ Tribute and Jurassic Park Survival is a crime against nature.:colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fiskiggy
Feb 15, 2005

You have impressed FFCiv with your turn time!
They turn a blind eye to the turn times of other civilizations, and your Influence over them has increased by 40.
As a respected member of the Clan TOWA "Broliance" gaming collective I'm proud to say we're still breaking new ground in this game, albeit slowly. Most recently we've found a way to get around the resource limitations you run in to if a game lasts long enough (and ours do). It's easy to get all the lumber you want by throwing a wisp at a tree and it'll harvest until the end of time. But what about gold? Once all the gold mines have run dry you can sell items, trade with allies, pillage from opponents, but you're still only moving a limited supply of gold back and forth. Our recent discovery, a variation on the classic unit prison technique, is a different story altogether!

Finding a 4v4 game is impossible these days so there aren't that many maps too choose from. So far only map is confirmed to work, (6)Highperch.w3x. Pick Orc, Night Elf and Human for your team. Open with the standard build, i.e make a chunk of towers in both choke points:

Behind the towers your goal is to have the Orc player make Kodo Beasts and Spirit Walkers as fast as possible. Don't make any units, focus all your resources on towers/Orc tech while harassing constantly with heroes to keep your opponents from creeping.

Around the time your Beastieries finish and Kodo production is under way you need to prepare a forest hideout. Order a Night Elf shop to snack on some nearby trees. Why?? You'll soon find out! Name your shop "Manny".

Rally your first Kodo(s) straight towards the middle creep camp(s) without hesitation. It's time to perform the most daring daylight Kodo/Pigman kidnapping you've ever seen! This is known around the industry as "securing the cargo":

Scurry the digesting Kodo back to your opening in the woods, and then shut the door behind it with a Spirit Walker:

And now... destroy the Kodo!

Did you see what happened? A confused Medicine Man emerged from the dying Kodo, forever trapped by an ethereal unit it cannot attack!

The Razormane Medicine Man is a special creep, with the ability to summon 2 Spirit Pigs for 100 mana. Killing a Spirit Pig will give you gold and experience. With the Medicine Man safely behind bars on your side of the map, all you have to do is wait for mana to regenerate, attack the Medicine Man once, kill the pigs, and then wait for mana to regenerate again! Congratulations, you now have infinite gold and experience (up to level 5)!

Of course, nothing in life nor wig is ever that easy. Eventually things might get too dangerous on the ground because your opponents pull something completely absurd.

Long time fans will already know what to do next... Go topside! Using another Kodo and some additional Spirit Walkers, there's no problem bringing your meal ticket along for the ride. Keep harvesting and fill your coffers!

Maybe that quick tutorial was a little bit confusing and didn't explain all the necessary steps thoroughly. Perhaps you're not convinced this is a viable strategy you can perform in a real ladder match. Hopefully this replay can disperse some doubts. It's the best example we've been able to perform so far, but there's more to come I'm sure of it! And as always, remember to have fun out there :)

Fiskiggy fucked around with this message at 14:13 on Nov 10, 2013