Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Amnomia
Jun 12, 2003

Mac OS X goons some dude over at hiveworkshop has posted a pretty decent Wineskin tutorial to get WC3 up and running:

http://www.hiveworkshop.com/forums/tutorial-submission-283/warcraft-iii-wineskin-mac-257050/

Only problem I ran into was getting a copy of the RoC/TFT installers because a) macbook pro superdrive is a piece of poo poo and doesnt work like 75% of the time and refused to read my original CDs b) the battle.net downloaders are windows only. However I just used an older computer to download the installers and copied the installer directories over to a flash drive and everything works.

Only thing I must mention is NOT to run WC3 in OpenGL mode like the guy in the above link says, way too buggy to be worth it.

Oh yeah and the cgi cutscenes don't work at all

Amnomia fucked around with this message at 20:38 on Nov 2, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Amnomia
Jun 12, 2003

Phasoms posted:

Pretty sure this hasn't been posted, but if you're looking for a decent place to play customs you can use https://entgaming.net/forum/games.php to find games. The more popular maps usually start up within 5-10 minutes.

Same is true for melee maps: http://playffa.net/site/, but with more drama and hackusations and poo poo. I usually stick to the team maps because FFA is a goddamn mess.

YO!!! MY MAN MNEIKA!!!

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️
How I miss Darwin Island and Pyramid Escape.

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook
I'm still extremely bitter about that one patch that fixed that security bug and broke like 90% of the custom maps.

gandlethorpe
Aug 16, 2008

:gowron::m10:

Jsor posted:

I'm still extremely bitter about that one patch that fixed that security bug and broke like 90% of the custom maps.

Wow, now I am too. Thanks for reminding me of that, rear end in a top hat.

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

someone introduce jojo to lazyb

Jsor posted:

They broke my favorite map, and I haven't played it since :(

HitTheTargets
Mar 3, 2006

I came here to laugh at you.
EVERYBODY SHUT UP I found out why Crypt Fiends' shots boomerang back to them! Earlier alpha/beta builds gave them a life steal mechanic similar to Crypt Lord's ult.

Amnomia
Jun 12, 2003

Or maybe because they only have one shot thingy and need to get it back to use it again???

Amnomia
Jun 12, 2003

Welcome to the first episode of Grubby's Warcraft III Commentaries!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3ISj1z8rjJ4

Amnomia
Jun 12, 2003

Notice carefully how Grubby is commentating using a Chinese version of Warcraft 3. Remember this for the upcoming exam.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

His commentary is pretty good. Even though it takes a long time by all his pausing when explaining.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Da goos chop da wood.

Amnomia
Jun 12, 2003

exquisite tea posted:

Da goos chop da wood.

Yes, it is a classic Blizzard RTS.

extra stout
Feb 24, 2005

ISILDUR's ERR

Lacklustre Hero posted:

The one goon WC3 session earlier this year was pretty sweet. Then it just never happened again

I'm up for Frozen Throne, add zugzug. I'm real bad. Also is it just me or is the WC3 campaign very easy as an adult now, but WCII is still impossibly hard?

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook
On hard at least, I've found the WC3 campaign ranges from easy to :negative:. You have to pull some real cheesy bullshit on some of the maps, like building 20 faerie dragons and rushing them into Illidan's base on the Eye of Sargeras mission. And don't get me started on the "kill these guys before the undead chop 100 trees" mission.

Edit: Now that I think about it, it's basically base defense missions and missions with time limits.

Linear Zoetrope fucked around with this message at 21:58 on Nov 5, 2014

sirtommygunn
Mar 7, 2013

I'm playing through the campaigns again and I'm beginning to wonder why I loved it so much when nearly every mission makes me go "this was the worst mission". Then again I've only gotten to the undead final mission so that's probably just a result of the undead campaign being generally garbage.

idiot stupid
Aug 23, 2014

still a virgin

extra stout posted:

I'm up for Frozen Throne, add zugzug. I'm real bad. Also is it just me or is the WC3 campaign very easy as an adult now, but WCII is still impossibly hard?

Are you/other goons playing on US East? I started some casual laddering over the summer and got my rifleman icon. It was my first experience with competitive Warcraft 3 when previously I'd only played custom games. Playing it has really made me excited for the possibility of a new RTS in the Dota 2 world editor.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

sirtommygunn posted:

I'm playing through the campaigns again and I'm beginning to wonder why I loved it so much when nearly every mission makes me go "this was the worst mission". Then again I've only gotten to the undead final mission so that's probably just a result of the undead campaign being generally garbage.

I think it's definitely a bit due to that, since the Undead vanilla campaign is a few missions too long and has a fairly nasty final map.

Mr.Acula
May 10, 2009

Billions and billions of fat clouds

What channel do people usually hang out in? lljk is empty every time I visit it.

Adam Bowen
Jan 6, 2003

This post probably contains a Rickroll link!

extra stout posted:

I always rage out and start cheating by the 4th mission of the Undead Frozen Throne campaign because it gets too frustrating. This last time I just quit about halfway through the first campaign because it loving sucks. I somehow managed to legitimately beat both the Orc and Human Warcraft 2 campaigns for the first time a couple of years ago, but I can't deal with the expansion pack missions at all.

Amnomia
Jun 12, 2003

dr.acula posted:

What channel do people usually hang out in? lljk is empty every time I visit it.

SO LONELY

Amnomia
Jun 12, 2003

although i saw the noble blueflagon chillen in there, unranked, the other day cheers mate

revtoiletduck
Aug 21, 2006
smart newbie

sirtommygunn posted:

I enjoyed the RoC campaign, but I think The Frozen Throne campaign was a huge step up.

extra stout
Feb 24, 2005

ISILDUR's ERR

idiot stupid posted:

Are you/other goons playing on US East? I started some casual laddering over the summer and got my rifleman icon. It was my first experience with competitive Warcraft 3 when previously I'd only played custom games. Playing it has really made me excited for the possibility of a new RTS in the Dota 2 world editor.

Yep I'm on East, and I forgot about channels even being in WCIII but I'll start sitting in lljk, if enough people do it maybe we can get a game going.

on the computer
Jan 4, 2012

extra stout posted:

Yep I'm on East, and I forgot about channels even being in WCIII but I'll start sitting in lljk, if enough people do it maybe we can get a game going.

It could be easier to coordinate on the steam group

http://steamcommunity.com/groups/wc3goons

Eregos
Aug 17, 2006

A Reversal of Fortune, Perhaps?
Undead tft missions are the best. At least, if you appreciate the difficulty. Just playing them on hard casually doesn't work though, you need fairly high apm on some otherwise you get clobbered.

Sazabi_Master
Sep 14, 2014

I came here to laugh at you.
Man, I was terrible at ladder matches but no one could touch me on footmen frenzy. I waited for a good version to come out on SC2 but it just wasn't the same...

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
:dings:
Taco Defender
UMS maps on SC2 are nothing compared to WC3's. Absolutely nothing.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
Why was that? I poured a ton of time into the War3 editor, so I know it fairly well. I don't think I've even started up the SC2 one. I can't imagine it's any less capable, so it's gotta be something else.

Billy Elliot
Jul 7, 2011

Space Pirate
You guys in the steam group ever run FFA matches? I never liked custom games in war 3 and still want to play the real game. FFA was a gift town back when war3 was popular, can't imagine it now.

sforzacio
Nov 6, 2012

Orcs and Ostriches posted:

Why was that? I poured a ton of time into the War3 editor, so I know it fairly well. I don't think I've even started up the SC2 one. I can't imagine it's any less capable, so it's gotta be something else.

I loved the War3 editor, and while the SC2 is amazing in how much control it allows you, it is just such a pain in the rear end to use. Allowing so much freedom comes at the cost of user friendliness, so either less people are capable of making their maps, or don't even want to bother.

idiot stupid
Aug 23, 2014

still a virgin

Billy Elliot posted:

You guys in the steam group ever run FFA matches? I never liked custom games in war 3 and still want to play the real game. FFA was a gift town back when war3 was popular, can't imagine it now.

I played a couple FFA games last month or so, but I wasn't enjoying it as much as 1v1. That's not to say I wouldn't be up for a goon FFA game because that could be a lot of fun

Eregos
Aug 17, 2006

sforzacio posted:

I loved the War3 editor, and while the SC2 is amazing in how much control it allows you, it is just such a pain in the rear end to use. Allowing so much freedom comes at the cost of user friendliness, so either less people are capable of making their maps, or don't even want to bother.

Yes, 100% correct. I can only dream that blizzard will Fire chris metzen, make Warcraft 4 and make an improved world editor. Warcraft 3 with better graphics and balance could be so tremendously epic. Hell, somebody might even make a popular warcraft 4 DoTA. But the SC2 galaxy editor is/was certainly too hard to use, at least back when I tried in 2010. Worldedit did a perfect job of prioritizing user friendliness while retaining advanced features.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Yeah, the main issue is accessibility. While so much more is theoretically possible in the SC2 editor, you won't get very far without some background knowledge in programming. Something as simple as "creating a unique spell effect" requires so many interactions between effect/behavior flags that most people don't even bother. Meanwhile in War3 you could easily sub in a new spell model even with no scripting experience, or just add trigger effects to dummy units and brute force something.

idiot stupid
Aug 23, 2014

still a virgin

Eregos posted:

Hell, somebody might even make a popular warcraft 4 DoTA.

This is exactly what I'm waiting for. The potential for a revival of Warcraft 3 era custom games is so great, specifically a port of Warcraft 3 or some evolution of it.

Super Space Jam 64
Jan 6, 2010

Yet another violation of regulation 1910 subpart D.

sforzacio posted:

I made a number maps in WC3 and a couple of maps with the Galaxy editor. Galaxy is tremendously powerful and far better optimized than Worldedit, however as stated it is overwhelmingly complicated to learn. Spells and buffs in WC3 are mostly a collection of structures with modifiable and linking flags--an original entity of any kind in Galaxy requires so many interlinking components--footprints, actions, events, buffs, models, each of these distinct sub-entities with links to each other and others, sometimes redundant and sometimes necessary--which aren't well documented that just getting the drat thing to display can be a hassle until you know exactly what each of the hundreds of fields do.

That said, if connection lag weren't an issue, Galaxy is so capable you could perfectly recreate pretty much any game on the market right now, from fighting to platformer to puzzle to racing. Beyond the incredible learning curve and the fact that it's hooked up to Starcraft 2's anaemic custom game community, the potential is far and away greater than any other developer-provided modding tool on the market. It's a little tragic because I am blown away at the power of the tool and the obvious dedication of its creators, and I know it will never fully realize its potential outside Blizzard's office as the game continues to struggle.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'
The way that Battle.net sets out custom maps and stuff makes it pretty bad, too. And I'm not even sure if custom campaigns are possible.

Eregos
Aug 17, 2006

Milky Moor posted:

The way that Battle.net sets out custom maps and stuff makes it pretty bad, too. And I'm not even sure if custom campaigns are possible.

Funny you should mention that. Just today I found a project that transforms the singleplayer campaigns into 2 player coop (well, some of them at least.) Looking forward to trying it out, but the modder also added Insane difficulty. And here I thought I'd seen everything there was to see in the singleplayer.

The mod can be found here

revtoiletduck
Aug 21, 2006
smart newbie

Eregos posted:

Funny you should mention that. Just today I found a project that transforms the singleplayer campaigns into 2 player coop (well, some of them at least.) Looking forward to trying it out, but the modder also added Insane difficulty. And here I thought I'd seen everything there was to see in the singleplayer.

The mod can be found here

drat, that sounds awesome.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Good Will Hrunting
Oct 8, 2012

I changed my mind.
I'm not sorry.
Christ, how long does it take to find a regular 3v3 game? I've been in a queue for 10 minutes. I wanted to get back into this here and there but if the queues are this long I don't see a point.