Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'

quote:

There's a lot of reasons why the UMS scene in SC2 fell apart. Lack of assests for creativity, doing abilities is a ton of work compared to having an easy editable library, confusing UI on locating Arcade maps (at least until a couple patches ago), lack of chat channels (again, too late), popularity system and unused features (Spotlighting), lack of community involvement, no real way to see actively hosted maps (again, too late) and allow people to name lobbies. Some of these things obviously weren't in Blizzards interest because models are expensive, but much of the rest of it should have been there from the getgo. Some of these were finally fixed but several years too late.

I think the loss of custom campaigns is what really hurt the UMS scene as well. BW and War3 all had some amazing custom campaigns. I know the team behind the groundbreaking Legacy of the Confederation campaign for BW wanted to remake it in SC2. They got writing done, voice acting done, and then it seems like SC2's infrastructure just flat out killed it. How would you even distribute a campaign with voice acting and custom assets and things like that with the new Battle.net?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

I honestly don't remember any.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

The way that Battle.net sets out custom maps and stuff makes it pretty bad, too. And I'm not even sure if custom campaigns are possible.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

i want to play some drat skibi TD

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

this afternoon, i'm going to pick up a copy of war3 since i lost my discs at some point

maybe we can get a goon game going over the next few days?

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

kaworu posted:

That's really funny - I just started replaying this lately (I haven't played it in years and have never played it all the way through on Hard, not even *close*. Not even sure I beat it on Normal all the way through, I wasn't very good at this game even though I liked it.

Anyway, I'm running Windows 10 so there were some weird issues I had to work out to get the resolution right, and even then the cinematic didn't work when I got to the end of the Human campaign - that really awesome cinematic when Arthas stomps into the throne room and murders "[his] Father the King." But it works perfectly now, after downloading the new patch.

I actually remember when I first saw that, playing the game in my room on my little 1024x768 CRT monitor, and it was just the craziest/coolest thing ever. In part because I had never played a game that went into such a shockingly evil direction, and had you playing as this vile protagonist for half of the entire campaign. I mean, the human campaign is basically just Arthas getting crazier and crazier as you murder and slaughter various sorts of people and creatures en-masse throughout the game, and his command responses get more and more ironic. Then the table just flips entirely over and you're Arthas commanding the undead and it makes perfect sense.

It's unfortunate that Blizzard becoming such a mainstream juggernaut put an end to this side of their stories. Kerrigan winning in Brood War, Arthas' arc, the ending of Diablo 2... It was a lot of fun to be the bad guy and I think a big appeal of Warcraft 3 is that you get to be the antagonist who kills some familiar characters and puts known locations to the torch.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

Lovely Senorita posted:

I'd be down to rip open an old copy of Skibi TD and have people yell at me for poor mazing :shobon:

Me too!

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

Col.Kiwi posted:

Oh god now you've done it.

I actually like SC2 and still play it

Congratulations, you have low standards!

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

I personally don't think Blizzard wanted BW and SC2 to co-exist and such a thing is a hideous indictment of SC2s failure but, hey.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

i wish e sports would move away from handles just in general imo

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

kaworu posted:

Frankly, I thought that the ideas and the overarching theme that they should have been shooting for COULD HAVE been really, really cool. I mean, the base *concept* is actually really cool, when you break it down and look at it.

The Protoss are simultaneously annihilated when they try to expend their forces to take back Aiur, while at the same time Shakuras is also destroyed. While this is happening, Artanis gets on his Badass ship (I dont even remember the drat things name) that was prepared in ancient times for such a disaster, and so the ship essentially becomes the equivalent of freaking Battlestar Galactica for the Protoss - the ark and hope for the continuation of all Protoss existence.

I thought that if they really moved on that hook, the game could have been way cooler. They could have taken a totally different approach, and made it about this Ark of the Protoss trying to survive and actually made the characters interesting... I guess my point is that the suckiness of the plot in LoTV is even worse to me because a lot of essentially great sci-fi concepts and tropes were wasted and used in really dumb ways.

Not even going into how it's one of the more obvious cases of Blizzard just rehashing existing stuff. The technical expert is another short guy with a beard (since when do Protoss have beards?)! Haha, nice!

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

I doubt we'll ever see a true Warcraft sequel, short of WoW doing a final end of the world reboot.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

You know I remember WC3 customs being incredibly fun and I spent a good chunk of my highschool years on LAN with friends trying out new ones on weekends - but they remade a lot of the same games in DOTA2 and I cannot get into them at all.

I don't know if my standards were just lower back then

A bit of that, sure, but there's also that many of the DOTA2 versions are pretty pale imitations.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

Zorodius posted:

yeah, WC3 isn't just dated, it's so lo-fi that it's impossible to tell what the hell's going on sometimes

DARKTERROR

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

Groovelord Neato posted:

it's a shame wow blew up - we woulda had wc4 by now. though considering their output since wc3 i don't know if that would've been a good or bad thing.

probably would've been good as rampant wowism wouldn't have been able to metastasise to the extent it did

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

*nods sagely, slides over a card reading Techy Type: Short With Beard, Mechanical Arm*

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

MisterZimbu posted:

Let's not pretend that with all the time travel and alternate dimension bullshit that's already in the Warcraft story that they can't carve out their own storyline niche for WC4

It doesn't help that WoW is so wildly different in tone and practically genre to what came before.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

Well, hot drat.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

a kotaku article is saying some of the missions will be changed and the story will be tweaked better to fit storyline decisions that occured in WoW

great

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

Fanatic posted:

I disagree. Other than new graphics and resolution bumps, they're also redesigning the UI, reworking all the campaigns and recording new voice acting for all the units (and presumably all the cutscenes then).

You can see Grubby's campaign level playthrough from Blizzcon here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x5caBx1qc3E and in case you never played through the campaigns it is COMPLETELY different from the original, not just remastered.

I thought they were only recording new lines for the characters that had different voice actors in WoW, and were only redesigning levels of locations that appeared in WoW (such as Stratholm)?

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

Fanatic posted:

Ah okay.

It actually turns out you were more correct, it seems. I looked around and it seems to be reported as a full rerecording with some script changes. Not sure about the campaign rework but at least two missions look like they're getting significant changes.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

has then been any more news on reforged yet?

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

it really does feel like something's up with reforged. like, compare it to the SC remaster which had fairly frequent updates and such

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

https://twitter.com/Marlamin/status/1182937398168166400

Link has screenshots of the main menu.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

Surely it's the random faction option.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

Got a link for those?

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

Starcraft 2 also, like, made it impossible to do custom campaigns which were a big part of the Brood War customs scene.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

Kith posted:

Not sure where you heard that from, but there's actually quite a few. Mass Recall in particular imported the entirety of the Starcraft and Brood War campaigns into Starcraft II and is pretty great.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but don't most custom campaigns need to be, like, loaded in strange ways? I remember for one of the Starcraft conversions, you had to load a setup map in the editor and then play it that way. I think Antioch Chronicles had similar. There's nothing like Brood War where you chuck them into a folder, click custom scenario, and just browse to the first map in the sequence. Checking some of these out, the instructions to play seem to back that up - load in editor, test map, play campaign.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

I don't even hate the idea of some sappy Kerrigan/Raynor romance plot, but SC2 handled it in what's probably the worst way possible. Magical space artifacts, turning the Queen of Blades into a separate entity that Kerrigan must be saved from, deinfesting Kerrigan and then she reinfests herself, she's a chosen one and turns into an actual angel to shoot lasers at Space Satan... It's so bad.

NARUD.

NO ONE FIGURES OUT THAT IT'S DURAN.

HIS NAME IS DURAN BACKWARDS.

But honestly, I think one of the more baffling things about the SC2 writing is that it feels like there was no plan and things were being changed up in between installments, mainly relating to Narud, the Xel'Naga, and the Hybrids.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

Groovelord Neato posted:

Primal zerg lol

IT'S ALL COMING BACK I HATE YOU I DON'T LIKE IT

It's like how Zerus was said to be a dead, lifeless world of fire. Then in SC2, it's like some volcanic rainforest planet filled with incredible forms of life. I always figured Zerus was like Char, hence why the Zerg made that their main base of operations.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

Grape posted:

Amon was so completely boring, flat, and cliche at once that I was kind of amazed at it.

Like... you guys had years and years past the initial release (where all the game engineering got finished mostly) to come up with a character and his motivations and I dunno, anything beyond "I AM DARK BADMAN, I WANT TO END EXISTENCE, HOHOHO-MWAHA".
Like early Final Fantasy villains were better than that. loving Mario RPG villains are better than that.

He had one interesting idea, that he was elevated into being a Xel'Naga against his will. Unfortunately, I think this is exactly one line of dialogue and not mentioned by any character again.

Aw, gently caress, it's all coming back to me! The Tal'Darim! So, in the first game, they're just renegade Protoss fanatics so there can be missions where you fight the Protoss. Okay, great. Narud (Duran) needs you to steal artifacts from them to take Kerrigan out of the picture. Okay, makes sense.

But then Heart of the Swarm says that the Tal'Darim were working for Narud! So, why did he need you to steal the artifacts from his own followers? No idea! Maybe it's because he didn't want to risk exposing his Hybrids before they were ready. Well, in HotS, it's theorized that he had hybrids on Char to absorb the Queen of Blades' power or something. So, he had the resources to put people on Char secretly and conduct some kind of mission, but still wanted to hire Raynor to steal the artifacts from his own people to conduct a plan he could've done himself?

Anyway, then Legacy of the Void comes out and gives the Tal'Darim a different background, too.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

Lt. Danger posted:

the endless iterations of Taldarim are dumb but Starcraft has never been consistent, even in halcyon SC1: the "lost" colonies, what the zergs need Kerrigan for exactly, etc.

This is true - and I think we talked about this last time around - but I don't really accept it. SC1 and SC2 were crafted by very different Blizzards, for better or worse, and I think the writing issues in SC1 are easier to excuse than the ones in SC2.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

General Battuta posted:

I think Mass Effect 2 (while a great game) is barely a sequel to Mass Effect 1, and Baldur's Gate 2 takes a huge turn away from the first game's pseudo-open-world simulationism into a more narrative and linear story that's a big step towards modern BioWare. Meanwhile FreeSpace 1 is this kind of vestigial Independence Day rip off with laughably poor line-level writing that imo serves only to offer backstory for the insanely superior sequel.

The Vasudan foothold on Vasuda Prime.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

A bunch of my mates wanted to boot up some Warcraft 3 for nostalgia's sake over the Christmas holidays.

They had no idea about the issues with the Remaster, or even that it existed. Had to be the one to tell them. :negative:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

My attempt at playing Reforged when it came out made it clear that it seemed to break a lot of custom maps, too. And no custom campaign support - come on, Blizzard.