Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006

darealkooky posted:

My favorite was one that sounds exactly like that, but it was called anime fight.

Was there a thing in the corner where if you walked down a winding path and avoided a bunch of rifleman you got a bunch of gold?

I remember that one you're talking about. I don't remember the name, but you had a peasant and had to navigate a maze and get to the end, dodging a ton of varied obstacles along the way. It was really really fun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006
The best WC3 custom games were the Footman Frenzy Armageddon games where you could get heroes so insanely powerful that a chain lightning would rip through every single enemy footman in the center and keep jumping back to their base to absolutely murder everything spawning for as long as you wanted. God those were fun as hell.

Also fun were the Lord of the Rings games. I liked the one where each player controlled a nation and those tended to last a really long time if you had some competent people playing Nazgul, Mordor, and Gondor. I remember every single game, Rohan would straight up abandon Helm's Deep and move all their units to Gondor to help fight off orcs.

Even more fun were the Battle of Helm's Deep maps where one side tried to take down the Helm's Deep defenses and walls, and the units were really weak so they died really quickly but you could spawn a billion of them really fast to make up for it. I remember some epic battles where the wall would finally get breached after a massive surge of Uruk-hai and desperately throwing units into the breached area to hold them off until Gandalf got back.

I also made a D-Day map where one team would control the Allied soldiers landing at Normandy and the other team would be the Germans holding them off. That got a surprisingly large amount of players for a little while, maybe a month, and it was a total blast to make. I learned a lot about triggers by making that map.

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006
Coming back again to express my abject and complete disappointment at how Blizzard hosed up such an easy thing and it sucks because this was literally the only Blizzard title that sounded any decent after my interest in every single other Blizz title was systematically ground into dust due to a nonstop cavalcade of failure.

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006
Okay I played a few games of Footman Frenzy and it was basically like summer of 2003 all over again for me so I am pleased for now

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006

Herstory Begins Now posted:

There's also the fact that you can't really touch D2 without giving it a biiiiig balance once-over on basically every mechanic in the game (literally everything from the 80-90% of useless skills to the rune drop rates, to stash size changes, etc.). Like D2 really just needs an overhaul, not better graphics. Hell, the graphics probably are one of the stronger points for D2 as it stands. This gets further complicated with any update to D2 basically being a ripoff of all the changes that already have been done in the big diablo mods like plugy or path of diablo and short of just formally wrapping them into the game, idk how they incorporate that without seeming disrespectful to the people who have maintained those mods for over a decade now. Notably, too, pretty much the entire modern playerbase of D2 is playing modded D2. Literally it's only speedrunners who play vanilla D2, though to be more precise, who have vanilla D2 installed---even they all play modded D2 outside of speedruns.

Basically there's no way to modernize it without risking doing the WCR thing where you alienate all the people still playing the game (which is a surprisingly large number of people, it's still a somewhat popular game).

On top of all that to remaster it and do anything with the online experience, they'd have to do a toooooon for the security unless they want it to be the wild west of people duping and exploiting and botting and apparently that's a nearly impossible task without devoting real resources and overhauling basically the entire legacy multiplayer code from the ground up.

I play vanilla Diablo 2/LOD and I honestly had no idea there even was a mod scene until I saw your post

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006
LMAO there's a surefire way to tell where Undead and Night Elf players start without using any hacks.

When you start a game look over at the gold mines. If one is missing then that is where your opponent started if they're Night Elf. Haunted gold mines still show up as default gold mines, but the blighted trees are visible through fog of war even though blight isn't

so:

Blighted trees + gold mine = UD base

No gold mine = NE base

Gold mine with no blighted trees = any of no spawn, HU spawn or Orc spawn.

both blighted trees and missing gold mines should keep being visible through fog throughout the game to know when an NE or UD has exposed.

Here's a video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p6VqcERUK98

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006

Nostalgamus posted:

Is this exclusive to the updated graphics? Or did they manage to backport a new bug?

I don't know and I haven't been able to test if it's backported because whenever I tried to swap graphics to WC3 Classic the client crashed

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006

The Wiggly Wizard posted:

It says "Blizzard has left the game" in addition to the player every time someone leaves a versus game

Thanks for letting me know I guess?

We already knew Blizzard left the game, we can see that clearly with Reforged

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006

Kith posted:

y'all that is a straight-up OG Warcraft 3 asset being used in the middle of the Reforged campaign

what is happening to my body

Is it the portal? It's been forever since I've played OG campaign, but that portal looks fine to me in a still screenshot at least