Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Warcraft III is my favorite RTS of all time. It holds a special place in my heart because the most ridiculous, retarded ideas you could possibly imagine were actually dominant winning strategies over the course of the game's crazy balance history. Mass ancients, towering, mass summons, staff swapping, invisimortar -- basically if you can think of a build that sounds incredibly gimmicky and stupid, then it was probably at one point The Thing to Do for a particular matchup. Also, and I think we can all agree here, gently caress Undead forever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

The unique thing War3 did that no other RTS has ever matched in my opinion is the entire comedy aspect. I don't think I've ever laughed harder in my life than when observing games with my friends and some dude would lose his hero to creeps, or run his entire army into a wall of towers, or lose 8 units at once to the fat burping Panda man. Playing competitively was super stressful but also very funny at the same time. Nowadays people are even super seriousface about Dota, which coming from my War3 roots has always been a joke game for idiots/people too bad to ladder.

My favorite UMS was some RPG called The Imagica or something like that. It was very simple but also really addictive and good to play with a group.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Da goos chop da wood.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Yeah, the main issue is accessibility. While so much more is theoretically possible in the SC2 editor, you won't get very far without some background knowledge in programming. Something as simple as "creating a unique spell effect" requires so many interactions between effect/behavior flags that most people don't even bother. Meanwhile in War3 you could easily sub in a new spell model even with no scripting experience, or just add trigger effects to dummy units and brute force something.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Rincewind posted:

I'm trying to redownload my WarCraft III client (after not playing for... oh... Jesus, like ten years), but whenever I click the Windows download link on the battle.net download clients page, the page just reloads and nothing starts downloading. Anybody have any idea what's going on?

Do you have a script blocker or anything like that turned on?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

e: Nevermind looks like this was already asked!