Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Frostwerks
Sep 24, 2007

by Lowtax

McSlaughter posted:

That would be The Eleventh Vampire! That map kicked serious rear end. If any of you are interested, I'd like to direct you again to the Steam group in the OP. Once I'm back at home tomorrow I'll schedule a game night and get us all the other necessary things. If there are any particular maps you'd be interested in playing, just let me know and I'll look into it. We'll definitely be playing some of the more standard stuff (like Dark Deeds, a personal favorite) and whatever else we can think of.

And here's the Steam group: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/wc3goons

It's actually probably FMVH, Force Majeure Vampire Hunters. And it loving owned.

Tsurupettan posted:

I feel like a teenager again just reading this thread. I want to play Enfo's again, and HAE, and Dark Deeds, and there was a vampire-related map that a friend made that had you killing villagers for souls or something and summoning undead to attack the town in the center while the vampire hunters tried to kill them.

Was one of the UD heroes a giant 2k+ hit point Abomination? Or an acolyte with immolation and 80+% evasion?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Frostwerks
Sep 24, 2007

by Lowtax

sat. posted:

It might be because this is my favorite game in the world but I feel like it's aged pretty well. I still think WC3 battle.net is better than SC2.

This game wasn't as well balanced as SC1, but that's probably due to blizz being a bunch of money hungry assholes.

e: It's still a really goddamn pretty well balanced RTS at the competitive scene, though I do think humans are too loving flexible.

Frostwerks
Sep 24, 2007

by Lowtax
The multiplayer really wasn't that terribly unbalanced, at least for 1v1 though. And WC3 and TFT had some amazing competitive scenes. Really the fault of balance rests pretty squarely on Blizzard forgoing balance patches because WoW was a full price game with a monthly charge.

Frostwerks
Sep 24, 2007

by Lowtax
Man, I've been one versus oneing my buddy lately. He finally figured out his port situation. God this game is still loving excellent. Could still use balance patches though.

Frostwerks
Sep 24, 2007

by Lowtax
I was playing 4v4 RT yesterday because I'm a masochist and some dude was on the other team and could read my messages to my allies. Asking him how he admitted to having chathack and when I told him it didn't matter because one of our teammates was afk, he said he knew because he also had maphack.

Frostwerks
Sep 24, 2007

by Lowtax
Is there a web resource for item drops by map? I got a bookmarked german site that used to have it but it's defunct now.

Frostwerks
Sep 24, 2007

by Lowtax
What was the one where there were 2 teams on different islands and you built "silos" (towers) to launch missiles at the other? You also had like anti-missile missiles to intercept them and stuff like that. That was super fun. Also, if anyone ever wants to play FMVH, I would so be down for that. 3.0 never being released is the biggest tragedy in WC3. Other than, you know, blizzard abandoning anything to loving do with melee once they started getting that sweet MMO money. Or DotA, bots, ip locators, custom banlists, and all that associated horseshit absolutely completely taking over the custom scene. I don't even mind DotA that much or even mind AoS style games in general, but it attracted the absolute scummiest human beings.

Frostwerks
Sep 24, 2007

by Lowtax

Rand alPaul posted:

Is there a mod that makes the game like Warcraft II?

I'd love to see Ogre Magi with Bloodlust on Auto-Cast fight Paladins with Heal.

I actually thought about this like loving years ago but I tried making aoe2 custom maps and even reading the strategy guide at books a million way back in the day there was no way in hell I was capable of doing it :/

Frostwerks
Sep 24, 2007

by Lowtax
Ogre magi were really good in general. Runes was excellent as well. Floating eye wasn't amazing but it served its purpose well enough.

Frostwerks
Sep 24, 2007

by Lowtax

Orcs and Ostriches posted:

Polymorph was OK against high cost units like dragons, but mage mana was far more efficient with blizzards with a touch of invisibility thrown in. I think Deathknights were a bit better with D&D/haste, and occasionally unholy armour. Bloodlust was king though, and I don't know why anyone would play Human.

I liked the archers :)

Frostwerks
Sep 24, 2007

by Lowtax
Archers much better than trolls. +3 damage vs a useless regen on a glass cannon.

Frostwerks
Sep 24, 2007

by Lowtax
How hard is it to create like a custom hero in the editor? Nothing too involved. No custom spells or poo poo like that. Just something like a blademaster type with all passive combat skills and I guess maybe Avatar as an ultimate? Something like crit, bash, cleaving attack, avatar. Or maybe evasion or something, IDK.

Frostwerks
Sep 24, 2007

by Lowtax
Hmm yeah just gave it a shot and nope that's waaaaay beyond what I am capable of doing. I've never been good at mapmaking though. I remember trying to pick it up from an AoE2 strategy guide I got from Books a Million back in the day and even following step by step I couldn't do poo poo. Oh well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Frostwerks
Sep 24, 2007

by Lowtax

Orcs and Ostriches posted:

Warcraft 2 had some neat micro tricks you could do that weren't reaction or speed intensive.

You could always predict the exact tile a unit would pop out of a barracks, for example, so you could place your units that were attacking the building in the exact positions to wreck the new units without moving.

In the right situations you could use that info to push new units (or peons that finish building) through obstacles like forests or mountains.

You seem to know what you're talking about and I remember using it for base defense by farm and tower arrangement, but do you remember how to simulcast? Cuz if you can pull it off once in a blue moon, 9 fireballs at once shredded chokepoint assaults.