Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Anatharon posted:

It's a little ironic how Blizzard trying to get their fingers in the UMS pie killed UMS.

If there's any major fuckup by Bliz in the last decade or so (ignoring D3 launch :v:), their handing of the custom map scene in War3 was definitely one of the worst.

It's utterly baffling to me how they didn't hire the poo poo out of the best mappers.

I mean I'm sure some custom mappers wound up working there, but still. They should have been trumpeting custom maps from the rooftops and figuring out how to monetize the best ones for creators and Bliz both. Dota ending up with Valve is hilarious. A sequel to a custom map makes no sense in any world.

Instead a handful of botters made a few thousand from RMAH deals. That really helped the community :eng99:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Imapanda posted:

Oh god guys, please continue to post descriptions of ridiculous custom game modes you guys have played on.

I was thinking this thread would be bad and full of complaints, But then a single nostalgic tear ran down my eye after I read the words 'Footmen Frenzy' in the OP and all my worries vanished

Customs owned. The best TD maps were just a shitload of fun.

I still think its amazing that there are two full genres of retail games spawned from war3 custom maps.

Then again I guess a lot of games came from doom/quake mods too. War3 was the mod heaven of the 00s in comparison to the fps 90s.

I'm not sure what the current mod world is. Minecraft?