Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Toady
Jan 12, 2009

Adam Bowen posted:

I'm glad that we got World of Warcraft, as much as it's easy to poo poo all over that game now it was amazing in 2004. But I'll always be a bit bummed out that because of WoW, we never got Warcraft 3 as the RPG/RTS hybrid that was originally planned. Also, I've always wondered what the 6th race would have been before they decided to drop it down to 4. I know the 5th was meant to be the Burning Legion, but I've never heard anything about the last one. Warcraft 3 was still a glorious game from a better time, a time when Blizzard designed their RTS games without worrying about stupid e-sports bullshit, and added extra races because new races are fun even if they gently caress up multiplayer balance.

From David Craddock:

"After shipping StarCraft, Blizzard's ace team of strategy game makers returned to WarCraft to devise another row between the Orcs and humans, plus two new factions: night elves, and the undead," Craddock said. "Originally, Blizzard conceived six races. The fifth was the Burning Legion, an ancient race of demons that invaded Azeroth early on in the game. Deciding on a sixth race was like a game of roulette, with the development ball stopping on various ideas. One such race was the goblins, a mischievous and devil-may-care band of green-skinned warriors who had thrown in with the Orc Horde during WarCraft II's events. Early plans for a fleshed-out race of goblins in WarCraft III played up the kamikaze mentality of the goblin with designs such as a catapult that flung units across the map. Ambition gave way to reality when six and even five races proved too difficult for Blizzard to balance. Goblins and the Burning Legion hung around in the game, but not in the form of fully playable factions."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU