Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tykero
Jun 22, 2009
I played hours upon hours of Island Defense. It was Cats vs Mice taken to the extreme, pretty much. One player was the Titan, a hero unit that leveled up and collected gold by killing the defenders' stuff. Defenders were little builder units that could (usually) be killed in 3 hits by a level 1 Titan (eventually you would be 2 or 1 shot by them as they leveled up and got more items) whose goal was to collect enough resources and build a base capable of fending off and eventually killing the Titan. There were multiple difference races for the builders and titan, each with their own strengths and weaknesses. The game was surprisingly balanced and a ton of fun. The early game generally revolved around the builders finding areas to harvest lumber without the Titan locating them. If the Titan found their gathering point, best practice was to destroy as much of your own stuff as possible to deny the Titan gold and experience. There was also a gold mine in the center of the map that builders could collect gold from, which was used for powerful upgrades. It was very risky to gather gold there, however, as the Titan had constant vision of the gold mine, could teleport back to it, and there was a fairly long run back to areas that could be walled up. If your builder died to the Titan, you came back as a mini-titan and played for the other team. The Titan could take control of the mini-titan away from you if he wanted, and most did so instantly and just stuck their mini-titan guarding the gold mine. A few of the builder races excelled at killing these mini-titans. Killing them netted them a hefty amount of gold.

Like most cat and mouse style games, Titans needed two spaces to move through an area, whereas builders could move through 1 space wide gaps.

Island Defense was probably my favorite custom game on WC3, though I played tons of different ones when a good Island Defense game couldn't be found.

It was remade for Starcraft 2, but like many Starcraft 2 map remakes, it just wasn't the same.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tykero
Jun 22, 2009
Is the SC2 custom map scene still poo poo?

Edit: I haven't touched it since release.

Tykero
Jun 22, 2009

Groovelord Neato posted:

i don't get why a lot of games can't play old replays. always pissed me off in wc3.

Those replays function by storing starting game state and then each action taken afterwards. Major version changes result in those actions potentially having different results, which breaks the replay.

Tykero
Jun 22, 2009
I miss spending countless hours in WC3 custom maps. SC2 and Dota 2 custom maps suck.