Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Defghanistan
Feb 9, 2010

2base2furious
WC3 is the best RTS, thanks for making this thread!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Defghanistan
Feb 9, 2010

2base2furious
So you can't load WC3 on OSX Mountain Lion

awesome

Time to boot camp I guess?

Defghanistan
Feb 9, 2010

2base2furious

Frostwerks posted:

The multiplayer really wasn't that terribly unbalanced, at least for 1v1 though. And WC3 and TFT had some amazing competitive scenes. Really the fault of balance rests pretty squarely on Blizzard forgoing balance patches because WoW was a full price game with a monthly charge.

Yeah what's this about balance issues? That game was pretty drat well balanced, I watched a hell of a lot of really competitive pro replays for years and years and loved it. Honestly it had way, way more staying power for me (personally) than SC2 did.

Part of that is the joy of watching heroes level up and become godlike with gear game after game, oh man.

Goddamnit I should setup bootcamp today.

Defghanistan
Feb 9, 2010

2base2furious

Cicero posted:

Vanilla War3's balance was really awful. People massed casters, NE players all made ancients to rush, creeping was super dominant, and people teleported at the first hint of danger. I remember a game towards the end where each player would teleport away the instant the other showed up to attack, eventually they went "meet in mid and fight?" and did so. You know there's something wrong with your strategy game when the fights have to be consensual.

It's not really worth discussing vanilla war3,there were massive changes to the combat system (armor and damage types) that ruined the "all caster" gameplay in TFT.

War3 vanilla was a complete and total mess.

Defghanistan
Feb 9, 2010

2base2furious

L. Ron Mexico posted:

Well, there was only one matchup that was/is really broken (Ud v Orc) and the rest is pretty decent. but that one matchup has been completely broken since like early ROC, which is not something you ever saw in starcraft games. I mean, we're talking something like 80+% winrate for orc for large stretches of time

e: i don't mean this as horrible balance-whining . not trying to cry about the horrible unfairness of the orcish horde or anything like that

I think I can get behind the fact that orc v ud was unbalanced but not that it was "really broken". The win rates just weren't that skewed. And I am saying this as a lifelong UD player that played *a lot* of games.