Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

sirtommygunn posted:

I'm playing through the campaigns again and I'm beginning to wonder why I loved it so much when nearly every mission makes me go "this was the worst mission". Then again I've only gotten to the undead final mission so that's probably just a result of the undead campaign being generally garbage.

I think it's definitely a bit due to that, since the Undead vanilla campaign is a few missions too long and has a fairly nasty final map.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

So what was the 6th faction meant to be? I know the 5th would have been the Burning Legion but I never heard a solid answer on the 6th.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

GigaPeon posted:

I'm guessing High Elves or Naga because they both had so many unique buildings in the (Expansion?) campaigns.

sirtommygunn posted:

The elves really didn't get any unique buildings and their unique units were just reskins of other units. The Naga had unique units and buildings and workers and a hero, so I'd have to go with the Naga as the most likely 6th.
Naga seems like a good bet but I'd also read speculation about Goblins, and a few wilder ideas. I'm guessing it wasn't developed much though.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Synastren posted:

Good to see Blizzard's art direction is developing by going in the Liefield direction. Check out Cenarius and Illidan. :v:
Maiev's feet were made more visible though.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Rand alPaul posted:

I seem to recall the first 6 months of WoW having really bad rear end Shaman compared to Paladins, but yeah you're right, in general the holy knight type guy is almost always ridiculously good.

In vanilla (broadly speaking) Paladins were better for PvE and Shaman were better for PvP, then things changed a lot when both factions got both classes and hybrids were allowed to do things other than heal in raids.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

jokes posted:

They should just do the events around WC1 and 2 in one game since like 5% of the current warcraft players (in any form) played those.

They've been furiously retconning those games for several decades now.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

That is a lot more effort than I expected them to put in.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

The example they gave was changing the layout of the Stratholme level to reflect the WoW version of the are, although there was a brief mention of Sylvanas' character as well.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Mercury Crusader posted:

They should rename Warcraft III to just "Warcraft" because they're never gonna re-release Warcraft 1 or 2.

They loving love that part of the story which is why it keeps being a part of WoW expacs and was the basis for the movie.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Beyond the Dark Portal ends up being important for quite a bit of WoW stuff too.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

They've got links to the downloader but if you don't have a key already I don't know how to get one without buying Reforged.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

The vanishing bit is at least explanable by WoD being a massive clusterfuck behind the scenes.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Grimdude posted:

Has anyone ever in the history of Warcraft's existence tried searching for "Grom" instead of "Grom Hellscream"?

Like I can't imagine going to Google like "I want to search that cool orc guy Hellscream" and just typing in his first name.

Maybe just me, idk. I can't imagine many people looking him up as just "Grom" though.

Why type in ten extra letters?

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

CyberPingu posted:

And then disappeared for like a year or so.

I dunno, I felt like in Wrath the LK was involved a lot more during levelling, dungeons and some raids, or at least more than DW was.
Pretty sure that was deliberate.

It was hard to come up with plausible reasons why Arthas didn't just kill the player character and that would have gone even more for Deathwing.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

mike12345 posted:

I can't find it now, but they got into trouble in Germany years ago (at Gamescom?), because they wanted to use a nazi-adjacent slogan for WoW, during the Warlords expansion iirc. Something like "blood and soil"? My google-fu is bad.

Yeah it was Blood and Soil in Legion.

At one stage (the beta for vanilla?) Warlocks had an ability called "Holocaust" too.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Milo and POTUS posted:

did any mobas even attempt to deviate from the 3 lane, corner bases format?

Some of the HotS maps only have 2 lanes.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

jokes posted:

I still don't know how it works. I bought Warcraft 3 many years ago, am I allowed to play my video game or do I need to buy Reforged for some reason?

If you have the CD but don't like Reforged it's pretty easy to play 1.27b and slightly harder to play 1.31 (which has Widescreen etc).

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Zaphod42 posted:

Maybe better to say Blizzard post Burning Crusade?

Wrath and MoP though.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Khorne posted:

Hearthstone was great when it came out! And was never really awful. They just kinda... did the same thing over and over instead of evolving the game. It was real baffling. They also had a lot of missteps and not so interesting sets, and they made a big change that made the game cost significantly more to play near the end of 2017. Fairly sure people told me they made things a lot better now because they're facing serious competition, but I've already moved on.
Based on what they've done for the recent releases they've realised they can get a lot of money from selling bundles with unique characters and emotes and a shitload of packs and that it's okay to give out a handful of packs or cards for free every so often.

Stuff like the Demon Hunter or the returning player decks were a good thing for people who didn't want to drop a bunch of money too, though they did standard thing where the new hotness was massively overpowered on release.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

He was mostly a comic book character that the writers of the games hated or were embarrassed about and put a lot of effort into ignoring.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Nathanos was in WoW since the beginning. He was a minor but memorable character thanks to a combination of competent writing and how he was used in quests.

Then purely by coincidence when that dude joined Blizzard Nathanos got a huge push in the narrative.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

1stGear posted:

Funnily enough, I don't think WoW has ever leaned heavily into prophecy/Chosen One stuff. The one time it has, the Chosen One rejected his title and eye-laser'd a demigod to death.

Yeah. Prophecy itself is very common in Warcraft (to the point that random furbolg villages have prophecies about heroes coming to save them) and there are also the time-travelling dragons but the characters themselves tend to be important for more mundane reasons.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

yr new gurlfrand! posted:

Time-travelling dragons?

The Bronze Dragonflight are associated with time and time travel. In the future the Bronze leader will turn evil after being shown his own death, which will lead to the creation of the Infinite Dragonflight.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

FoolyCharged posted:

Basically it's an excuse for throwback dungeons in WoW

Yeah. Also gets used for an apocalyptic future at one point too.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Milo and POTUS posted:

Didn't wow royally gently caress up the storyline that the RTS games had worked toward? Like the orcs being scourge aligned?

WoW has Sylvanas' faction of free undead join the Orcs (and the rest of the Horde). It was an alliance out of practicality and shared dislike of the, umm, Alliance.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Fenn the Fool! posted:

The Night Elves joining the Alliance is just as weird as the Undead joining the Horde, but flattening everything into two big factions is what made sense for WoW's gameplay.
It has a similar justification: the Elves aren't going to ally themselves with the faction that just cut down a shitload of their trees.