Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010
Advent of the Zenith and Desert of Exile were pretty fun, shame they never got to be in Dota's top dog spot.

Typhus733 posted:

God drat that OP brings back some memories. So many late summer nights spent playing Stonghold, Bships, Pyramid Escape, Burb, and so drat many more dumb custom games. Never played any ladder what so ever but that didn't stop me from pouring endless hours into this game.

I played hundreds of hours of Warcraft 3 with my friends, every friday.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010
Team Micro Melee's variations were so great. Spellcraft was neat too.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

SirDrone posted:

No mention of Metastasis, Fellowship Quest, DBZ Tribute and Jurassic Park Survival is a crime against nature.:colbert:

In retrospect I guess I was part of the core Parasite 2 scene. I knew DarkShoGun and whatnot, man I loved that game. :v:

I liked Metastasis more in earlier builds when it was less like Parasite 2, though.

Speaking of JPS, I had one friend who was really into it. He also LOVED SWAT: Aftermath. That could be another good game on it's own.

Lacklustre Hero posted:

My friends and I still meet a few times a month and dedicate a night to Warcraft 3 maps. We load up the Risk maps (used to just be the classic Europe one, but have since moved on to the World of Warcraft Risk because its loving massive in scale, options and races) and easily spend 4+ hours slugging it out, excessive poo poo-talking and grudge-holding a requirement.

I would be down to join in on any games goons organise, would be awesome if this became a regular thing.

I still talk to the people in my old friday Warcraft group. We quit it like 3 years ago but I'll see if people want to play again. Could be fun. :toot:

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

Stay Out of FYAD posted:

Is Blademaster still the most overpowered hero in the game? :smugbert:

Against bots? No doubt. :c00l:

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010
Elimination Tournament was awesome. Topdown shooter in Warcraft 3, why the heck not!

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

Lacklustre Hero posted:

Best map was probs Dark Deeds no matter how bad I was at it

Dark Deeds was fun but the wraith minions were super glitchy and Witch Doctor's omniscience ability was kinda op.

Cult Lord was the funnest to play.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010
Sorry. :ohdear:

Bbbut..My account was deleted.. Blizzard, you'll never recieve my business again..:negative:

I mean I could re-earn icons but when I left the game was full of hackers who wanted to show off their Archimonde/Illidan icons and I bet it'll still be bad now.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010
Are we going to try and do another round of War3?

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

darealkooky posted:

That's part of it (even if most custom maps had 50 billion different reskins of marines and arthas w/ sword), but the real thing is that wc3 has the ability to load in custom models.

Because Blizard is really mad they can't make money off dota, they own the rights to all sc2 custom maps and so they can't have models of goku or whatever in their things they want to potentially make money from.

It's a little ironic how Blizzard trying to get their fingers in the UMS pie killed UMS.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010
Run Kitty Run was better :buddy:

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010
I can't remember what it was called but there was an insane chinese custom in the vain of Dota that was everything x1000. IMBA WArs I think?

There was stuff like a mortar team who could shoot across the entire map, a Lich who revived every dead creep on the map as a skeleton for a passive, an Infernal who had Reign of Chaos that was cast 20 times at once, and a Goblin who could drain all your gold. It was great. :allears:

Some of the guys weren't OP enough to be useful but usually matches went back and forth. None of the abilites or items had tooltips so it was a lot of fun figuring out just what that button you pressed may have done. (it makes you win 5 minutes after casting it)

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

angry climber posted:

One of my favorite customs is where you play a rifleman and the goal is to snipe your opponents. One shot kills. Your point of view is "locked" behind the rifleman, making it essentially a 3rd person shooter.

Elimination Tournament?

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010
Just buy a new, dirt cheap copy?

CD key gens are problematic because the keys rarely work in the first place so you need to spend forever trying to get a working one. If you at least get a legit copy you can complain to Blizzard and they'll deal with it.

schmitty9800 posted:

You'll be able to with an optimized build order. Download a replay from here http://www.wcreplays.com/page.php?section=replays and take a look at what they build and when.

Also micro is god in warcraft 3.

I miss melee. It was a nice balance between Brood Wars and SC2 for me. BW was fun but I couldn't get into how hard it was, SC2 just isn't fun. :(

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010
Also DotA 2 reborn's client is insanely bad right now.

If there's another custom night it'd be smart to throw up some game DL links beforehand.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010
You don't need to be good to use a DC hack, though. :v:

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010
This might be a dumb question but what were the things that were supposed to be changed and weren't? I hadn't paid super close attention to this (didn't even realize it was out until like a couple of hours ago) but I sort of assumed it was just supposed to be like SC remastered but people have been complaining about things not being changed.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010
I can't believe they killed OG War3 too. What the hell.

Chaitai posted:

So what's to stop all these copyright-infringing custom map makers from renaming the copyrighted characters to something just slightly different? Goku becomes Guko and things like that? Wouldn't that let them keep the maps in the game? Add a little disclaimer saying any relation to characters real or fictional is purely happenstance?

Or will Blizzard just see through it an ban them anyways and that's what people are worried about?

Because nobody wants to play as Guko, so what's the point?

uniball posted:

yes, if you have a version that’s integrated with the modern bnet launcher (i forget whether this started in 1.28 or 1.29), the launcher will automatically nuke your classic install when it “updates”. if you have a pre-bnet2 version, you can just not upgrade and enjoy single player. i also have a 1.30 PTR version installed that works just fine offline

I guess if you have a disk you can probably use that too?

It killed my old install, at any rate. No option not to.

It's also like 30 gigs now which is lol, so much for having it on my laptop too or anything.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010
I tried starting classic War3.

"There was an error handling the request"

The play offline option was greyed out.

The game then crashed.

GOAT.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010
OG War3 is now completely unplayable for me. A game I was given when I was about eight.

Asema posted:

you don't have to consistently remind everybody how you are not "disastrously offended" by the poo poo game and how much enjoyment you are getting out of the asset flip, you can just...post the funny joke.

This is the same dumbass who felt the need to tell everyone to gently caress off if they didn't believe the original campaign wasn't significantly better in reforged.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

SirSamVimes posted:

I'm pretty sure there is nothing legally stopping them from having a character named Grom.

HellScream?!

But yeah. Memory serving Blizzard COULD use the name "Grom"... But they can't trademark it and that's all the suits and money men care about.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

Stevefin posted:

After seeing a snippet of the new terms and service that came out with reforged, I would love to see them trying to enforce the part where the customer waves away all their rights and morality, and if your law protects you, you wave your rights to this law and supersede those laws.

Australia has such law and a little extra that says this law can not be overwritten by anything that is not AU law

IIRC it's mostly to scare people because you can't legally sign away your rights with an EULA in any country. Could be wrong though.

Also kind of funny: Having a TFT but no RoC key assigned to my account is what means I suddenly can't play War3 anymore. I don't have my old War3 cd case anymore so I suddenly can't play it without buying it again.

little munchkin posted:

yea the lack of ranked mm is insane considering the playerbase currently consists of blizzard fans completely new to the game and people who have been playing for 20 years straight

no way am i buying this but i decided to fire my original version up to take advantage of the large playerbase. you need 30+ gigs of storage just to play with the original graphics and the menus look like this

they also took out the progress bar for other players during the loading screen, so now you have zero warning when the game is about to start

yeah lol needing 34 gigs or whatever for war3 classic is amazing.

Cuntellectual fucked around with this message at 22:00 on Jan 31, 2020

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

Tubgoat posted:

Holy poo poo I think my install of Frozen Throne got forcibly updated to Reforged, Windows 10 style. :stonk:

It also seems to have removed my RoC CD key from my account if what the support guy I ticketed is right.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010
I always liked Doodad Defence and Elemental TD, as far as TDs go.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

Tubgoat posted:

"Mongoloid" :thunk:

Where does it say that?

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

Disargeria posted:

Okay yeah those are great ideas and all but other than WC3 which remasters haven't turned out well? Not counting like, low effort upscaling patches or something I think almost every remade game has been positively received

Depends on how broad a scale you're talking here.

WC3 is the only one that actively made the original worse afaik, however.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010
Yeah, but what human kingdom and orc clan do those 12 new ones correspond to? :colbert:

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010
They still haven't gotten over losing DotA to valve.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

time for a joke posted:

i forget the name of it (dota 2? probably not) but there was one where one team had their base in the middle of the map in like a snow/ice island and the other team was around the outside

The one with three lanes? Same guy made a dota styled map about sieging a city?

Forget the name but it was cool.

TGG posted:

I was always a huge fan of Advent of the Zenith, some crazy fun heroes in there and it was more in the tides of blood format. Tons of custom assets in it too, though I don't remember it being played a ton.

Man I remember that. Desert of Exile, too. I wasn't a huge fan but I was in the clan with the guy that made it for awhile, there were some real characters. :allears:

now I'm sad. :smith:

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010
weird how SC1 had 2 good remasters and wc3 cant manage one.

jokes posted:

There was a map where you picked a tank model and loaded up with specific weapons, and they would do things like automatically fire at dudes in range or allow you to shoot a big rear end bomb or you could load up on extra armor plating or faster engines. Instead of a tank you could pick an airship that was very fast, but was much less sturdy than other vehicles, etc. Some models had less than 6 slots available but made up for it in other ways.

The game ruled and it was the best of the DOTAs but the nature of the game was very much about just deciding on a build than actually playing it which meant there was a "Correct Way To Play" and you'd absolutely get demolished by a guy with zero recourse. And then you'd play as that next game, and then after a while everyone was doing the same poo poo.

It was still a really cool game/idea, though. Playing it blind with a bunch of randos was a LOT of fun.

Trials of Mana and FF7R are doing so loving well both in sales and in players' sentiment by completely remaking two very, very old games. Meanwhile Blizzard failed at a loving model swap.

Battletanks, as well as the spinoff battleships.

I played both quite often with friends growing up. Good times.

There was also that one I mentioned where you had a base on a hill for one team and a timer, and the other team had to siege it with three lanes (but then a fourth one opened up later)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

yr new gurlfrand! posted:

“Each of our balance patches will aim to ensure competitive integrity at the professional level”

hmm yes tell me more about the pro scene in 2020 for an early 2000s game

Dota? It's doing pretty well actually.