Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook

sirtommygunn posted:

That's how you're supposed to do it; there is no way for Malfurion to actually reach the important undead bases, he's purely there as an extra lose condition. His flyers are disabled, which is weird because his justification for being there is to keep the flyers off of Tyrande.

I found that on hard at least, it's really important to take out the undead bases that share Malfurion's island with him, and then build a ton of ancient protectors on the northeast ridge. It's just not feasible to survive long enough to beat it with Illidan without doing so.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook

sirtommygunn posted:

I have never done anything besides load malfurions base up with archers and mountain giants and then stop paying attention until its under attack. Destroying the bases always seemed pointless and difficult so I just did enough to keep him alive while pushing as hard as i could with Illidan through the southern undead bases.

Keep in mind that I'm not actually good at this game and can only barely beat all the missions on hard.

:shrug: Your way is probably better, actually, but I have trouble pulling it off. My way takes forever, but it's absurdly easy to keep Illidan's base functionally invulnerable. So I take my sweet time clearing out the bases on Malfurion's chunk. It makes the rest of the mission really easy, if a bit tedious.

It doesn't help that I usually have at least one or two total army wipes when doing the main objective. The mission I really have trouble with is that one with Sylvanas and Garathos taking on one of the dread lords (it's the final Sylvanas mission).

Linear Zoetrope fucked around with this message at 03:19 on Oct 20, 2014

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook
I'm still extremely bitter about that one patch that fixed that security bug and broke like 90% of the custom maps.

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook
On hard at least, I've found the WC3 campaign ranges from easy to :negative:. You have to pull some real cheesy bullshit on some of the maps, like building 20 faerie dragons and rushing them into Illidan's base on the Eye of Sargeras mission. And don't get me started on the "kill these guys before the undead chop 100 trees" mission.

Edit: Now that I think about it, it's basically base defense missions and missions with time limits.

Linear Zoetrope fucked around with this message at 21:58 on Nov 5, 2014

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook
Once I accepted that it was ridiculous and I should watch it like it's Dragonball Z or something, Starcraft 2's story became a lot more enjoyable.

Edit: This happened around the point in Heart of the Swarm where Kerrigan and Narud get into an energy beam struggle.

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook
Eh, they can just time skip 10 years again. Warcraft 2 to Warcraft 3 and TFT to WoW had timeskips that allowed them to do whatever weird things they wanted. Don't forget the drastic change to the Horde between 2 and 3.

WoW certainly has made some bad story decisions, but 90% of the problem with continuing expansions is the need for a PvP excuse, how static the factions are, and how they feel like they need a "big name" as a raid boss to get people to come back.

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook
They always have the Bronze Dragonflight/Infinite Dragonflight/Caverns of Time in their back pocket for changing whatever they want.

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook
Does anyone have a link to info on the alpha/development stuff? I'm putting together an LP of WC3 and that may be interesting to post between updates.

E: Hmm, I wonder if the RPS would have resembled a (much better) version of some of those custom maps like the Final Fantasy or World of Warcraft ones. Where you were mostly a hero going around doing quests, but you could buy items to kind of build up an ad-hoc base if you desired. (And, obviously, with a bit of the Rexxar campaign thrown in)

Linear Zoetrope fucked around with this message at 07:46 on Jan 13, 2015

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook
They kind of fixed it in SC2, where for the campaign they let you have all the broken or removed units, and in HOTS they outright just let you get super units as a normal part of the campaign. It's not really an extra race, but it works out pretty nicely that they can do a lot of crazy stuff in the campaign without letting it affect the esports.

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook

Billy Elliot posted:

They did put in the War3 models into SC2, I don't think they're all HD remakes, just the old models.

You can also import WoW models into SC2, I think a few "Warcraft rebirth" maps of sorts have done that. If I had more time on my hands, I'd totally remake WoW as an RTS campaign in SC2, but alas...

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook
There were several of them. One of them was uncreatively called Werewolf. I think Dark Deeds was another map with the same premise inspired by Werewolf, but with more fancy stuff added. I could never keep track of which version of which map I actually liked.

There was another map I liked called Two Gods or something where two players were gods and the other players would start the game by typing "I will follow light" or "I will follow darkness" and they would build their base, as well as monuments to power up their god. The god could give them some special units (with custom models!) and buffs and other boons, or dick over the enemy players.

The biggest problem was that unless you got a good 50/50 split on followers it was horrifically imbalanced and not fun.

Linear Zoetrope fucked around with this message at 03:37 on Jul 28, 2015

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook
I never really played the original SC online, so the only thing I really know about the SC custom map scene is Aeon of Strife was the proto-MOBA (which I will always go :spergin: on and correct people who say it was DOTA, I have no shame). Also something about tower defense maps where you could stack photon cannons on top of each other.

I wish SC2 had a better custom map scene. People blame the Arcade browser interface, or the editor complexity, and I'm one of them. But honestly, I think the real problem is that nowadays if you're a talented person who wants to make a fun game you just pick up Unity or Unreal or whatever.

Linear Zoetrope fucked around with this message at 16:29 on Jul 29, 2015

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook
DOTA 2 has custom maps now, and they're actually pretty fun! There are a few issues, and it's really early on so there's not a huge selection yet. But they have a lot of easier WC3 remakes (Enfos, Footman Frenzy), some of them by the same creators as the originals. Some of the stuff can take getting used to, though (as far as I can tell there's no a+move).

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook
Half the TFT Undead campaign is kinda bullshit, IMO. The Sylvanas missions are almost all extremely difficult on hard. The only one I find pretty easy is the one where they give you like 10 free minutes to get 80% of the way to victory. The last time I played, I gave up on the one where she and Garithos have to take out a big undead base in the center. Not looking forward to that one in my LP.

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook
I recall King Arthas being more laborious than hard. I recall beating it by being very careful and meticulous, where I recall the definition of "careful and meticulous" being around and hour and 45 minutes.

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook
That cinematic display bug is really annoying, hope they fix that one in 2017.

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook
Goddamn it. I forgot about The Long March.

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook

McTimmy posted:

Angel Arena was one of those types, and there were plenty of them. Back when no one gave a poo poo about balance. Intelligence heroes were useless as gently caress, Strength barely better and Agility nigh-unstoppable death gods. Then the weird-rear end broken-poo poo that was Sylvanas.

Yeah, the reason for that is your primary stat adds a point of damage, so int scales mana, which has diminishing returns after you have enough mana to infinitely cast your spells (and could be detrimental against mana burn). Strength increases HP which is better and nice,, but doesn't mean much if you can't dish it out. Agility increases attack speed, so you basically end up stacking both damage and you attack every millisecond so your DPS becomes embarrassing, to the point that it even breaks heroes that stacked strength.

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook
I'm still not entirely sure what the intention of upkeep even was. Is it just meant to be a catchup mechanic, so that if someone is really ahead they take a penalty so the other person can build their forces up at a higher rate of income?

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook

Node posted:

The original WC3 concept sounded really fun, I'd love to see a Warcraft made in that style. That said, WC3 is still a good game.

It's been a while since I played it, but weren't some parts of the Rexxar campaign almost exactly like that? I really loved the Rexxar campaign even if it was an awkward Diablo-lite.

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook

kaempfer0080 posted:

Do people still play custom games? I'm thinking of rebuying WC3 because I can't find my CD keys and playing the campaigns again. It would be fun to also dick around and play some random custom games, either with goons or in the wild. What's it like these days?

Patch 1.23 several years ago broke a large, large swath of maps because they fixed a bug called the "false return bug" which was very useful for mapmaking but also turned out to be a massive security issue. There were a few maps that didn't use it, and a few of the ones that were still being actively developed fixed it (IIRC Blizzard even offered to help Icefrog fix Dota Allstars at the time). Still, quite a few of the custom maps I remember like Orc Gladiators, a lot of the ORPGs, city builders and so on never got fixed. Map protectors also make it annoying for fans to go in and fix them, because deprotectors can be pretty dodgy.

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook

Suspicious posted:

A war3 map is actually a just MPQ archive of different files. Some of these files are there only for the editor. When you save the map, the editor compiles their data into a format the game can use. Protecting a map is simply deleting these editor-only files as the game doesn't need them.

Unprotecting a war3 map is therefore just rebuilding the files the editor needs to open it. You can do it with just a MPQ viewer and the basic map editor. It's not hard, it's just a huge pain in the rear end. I've done it once. Never again. Very effective deterrent against idiots mucking around with your stuff.

Yeah, but there are some deprotector programs which claim to do this automatically (though I think you have to deal with some code obfuscation?). They work okay on some maps, and just blow up on others. Hence "dodgy"

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook

~Coxy posted:

LOMA, please.

MOBA makes no sense because that describes literally every game ever. (Plus why does a LOMA need to be online?)
FARTS doesn't really make sense because it's not strategic, and doesn't really have any RTS elements besides.

"AoS type map"

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook
Out of wonder, have any of the bugfix patches fixed the campaign? I know it was borked for a bit.

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook
I know the answer is probably no, but I wonder if they can/will integrate the some of the deep mind collab stuff they did for SC2. It's mainly just a matter of defining a protobuf spec and shipping the info over along with some hooks to accept actions over the socket. I'm working with it for research now but I have a personal bias towards Warcraft and would prefer to use it. This is a dumb thing to care about.

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook
I don't like cheesing Twilight of the Gods. Or, at the very least, if you're going to you should type the cheat to finish the mission after you succeed because IIRC the game doesn't detect that you cheesed it and you end up sitting around doing nothing for 45 minutes.

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook

Zipperelli. posted:

So I never played this when it was first released, and now that Blizzard is doing the reforged, it seems like a good time as any to play it through. The only problem is where to get it? Blizzard doesn't sell it online as far as I can see, and lol at buying a disc in TYOOL 2019. Is there anywhere to buy it digitally?

Blizzard has a digital distribution platform/downloader for all their games (and a few Activision published ones like Destiny 2 or COD) now. You can find it on https://battle.net

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook
What even is the successor to Warcraft 3 custom maps? I want to say indie game dev with Unity, but it's not quite the same because you don't have that common gameplay foundation and set of assets that makes small ideas so easy to prototype and release. Nor that lobby where you can just pick up, download, and play a bunch of free things if someone else is. If anything I'd say Unity is more the successor to Flash (which is born out by Newgrounds largely being Unity-based now).

Modded Minecraft? Roblox?

Linear Zoetrope fucked around with this message at 01:52 on Oct 17, 2019

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook
Yeah, I was looking forward to the updates. I can still play original WC3 whenever and while I'd miss the original voices, it would've been neat to compare the two.

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook
Please
They're called Legendary Warchests

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook
WC3 map creators get very protective. See, for instance, all the old map encryption software. This is, on some level, understandable given the way maps were sometimes redistributed with no changes except author names. But it's all very silly given these are mods of mods as Zaphod mentions. Granted I'm a copyright abolitionist so.

Some of the more ambitious maps were impossible to open in (unmodified) World Edit anyway because they wouldn't open not due to encryption, but due to some custom script bullshit that was written with external tools.

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook

Tubgoat posted:

What's the fertility idol icon?? Like, I see it, the preg belly+tits, but what is that for in-game?? :confused:

I think it's a niche campaign icon, the only thing I can find that uses it is an item that increases a hero's intelligence by 1 in the ROC orc campaign called the "ancient figurine."

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook

Muscular Typist posted:

Woah that's a blast from the past right there.

Fun fact, you can find a completely playable 99%ish done leak of the game's files online nowadays. I guess whoever made that longplay must have finally uploaded them somewhere. I played a little bit of it. It's... fine, but also like peak adventure game obtuseness. The second or third puzzle in the whole game requires timing and order shenanigans, doesn't even bother to start you off gently with use X on Y stuff. By far the best part is watching Thrall Guybrush Threepwood it up. Even the visual style is basically just "Curse of Monkey Island, but Warcraft."

I think the only thing missing is the ending cutscene and maybe one or two lines of voicework/animation. Like you can fully play the game to the end. Reportedly it's not even really buggy or easy to softlock yourself. That game was like... done done when it got cancelled. I kind of see why they canceled it, but I honestly don't think it was because it was bad so much as P&C adventure games were in A State at the time as a genre and the general writing just did not fit Warcraft very well, including what would come later. The tone is closer to a WoW sidequest in one of the less serious zones than a main entry that bridges 2 and 3. The best way I can describe it is if someone made something like Warcraft: The Abridged Series.

Linear Zoetrope fucked around with this message at 13:43 on Nov 29, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook
I was really looking forward to the new stuff. I play Warcraft III every year or two and like I have no qualms about playing the original story and voices, but I've already played it a lot. I really liked the concept of being able to switch between them with the new graphics either way. I'm not particularly invested in WoW's weirder retcons, though I used to be pretty up on WoW-era lore (as bad as some of it can be), and it would've been really neat to see how they handle a lot of the stuff and how the subsequent personality shifts in characters affected the original interpretations, and how some of the worse elements of WoW leaked into the rewrites. Yeah I know that kind of looks like saying "lol i wanted to see how bad of a trainwreck it was," but I legitimately think it would be fascinating to see how years of lore and tone shift, and writer turnover, would affect the changes.