Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

So what's the current state of affairs with WC3 Reforged? I loved the original and am thinking of picking it up. I understand it's super underwhelming compared to what was promised, but all I want is the original game sharpened up a bit and otherwise left alone. Is it that, or is it a supremely broken version of a game that was already fixed?

Edit: Before anyone suggests I instead get CnC Remastered, I already purchased it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

George H.W. oval office posted:

If you just want singleplayer for a bit then yea it's fine. Some of the multiplayer stuff that should have been there in the first place is supposedly coming down the road. It's better than its launch but I feel it will never lose the shoddy remake stink.

That's fair. I'm just looking to relive the Chaos/Throne campaigns really because I'm old and suck at multiplayer. But the campaigns were loving awesome and I loved how of all Blizzard's RTS, W3 was the easiest (for me at least) game to micro with the smaller control groups and some units having auto-powers.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

The Wiggly Wizard posted:

There's nothing redeeming about Reforged so far but they added native widescreen to WCIII in 2018 so if you haven't played in a while just patch or like me buy Reforged and only play classic settings.

Oh that’s awesome! I still have my original WC and FT keys on BNet. So is there any point at all in getting reforged?

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

The Starcraft Remaster is done the legit best way it could be done. It’s gorgeous and I enjoy the milk duds right out of it.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Groovelord Neato posted:

Where's the Warcraft 1 remaster???

On GOG. It’s a very authentic experience with no right-click move and needing sidewalks.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

I like blizzard still and their dumb games and I don’t mind buying them.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Groovelord Neato posted:

They haven't released a good game in 17 years.

Nah it’s fine, their games are good and I enjoy them.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

I think the whole SC1 vs SC2 story is a bit overblown. Both of them are the equivalent of Saturday morning cartoons. They’re both just big dumb explosion fun, like the (first) Transformers movie, and I’m fine with that.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

BlazetheInferno posted:

I'm one of those people who, if I like a story, I get immersed in it, and all thoughts of "is this good writing? Does this make sense?" go flying out the window unless something astoundingly stupid happens that even the story's logic just cannot explain, and those moments are *exceedingly* rare; Reforged's Grom->Hellscream badly-spliced audio fuckery is the only thing I can think of off-hand in either series that's actually done this to me, and that wasn't about the plot/writing.

I've been playing Warcraft since Warcraft 2. The concept of good writing or bad writing cease to exist for me. There is only the plot. And if retcons happen, they happen. Sometimes it can be explained as a misunderstanding of events. A lot of what people call "Retcons" aren't even retcons, they are in fact merely adding new information, sometimes filling in holes that people weren't aware were there.

I enjoyed Starcraft 1's story, I enjoyed Starcraft 2's story. I enjoyed Warcraft 2's story, I enjoyed Warcraft 3's story, I continue to enjoy World of Warcraft's story to this day.

Do I ever claim that these stories are all perfect with wonderful writing the whole way through? God no. I can't say that about *any* franchise I've enjoyed. And I don't need to in order to enjoy them.

This is pretty much exactly how I feel about most video games fiction. While I absolutely love games like Disco Elysium for the writing, games like Diablo, Starcraft and Warcraft are just dumb Saturday cartoon fun that I turn my brain off and enjoy. I never took Starcraft’s story so seriously that the narrative in SC2 would offend me. I just like jumping into the fiction and going for a ride.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

General Battuta posted:

Next you're going to say FS1 is on par with FS2 :colbert:

I’m playing these games now in the new Knossos launcher, and to me, FS1, ST, and FS2 are all one game/narrative. I don’t separate them in the same way I don’t separate the Mass Effect games, or Baldur’s Gate.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

There’s writing changes sure, but they still tell one big story so I play through them all back to back when I play. Same for all three Witcher games.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Of all the poo poo D3 gets wrong compared to the first two games, I actually enjoyed watching Leah become Diablo. Or even Adriah being key to the plot. I enjoyed those plot points.

But yea, Azmodan is loving hilariously incompetent and it came across as slapstick comedy to me.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Tubgoat posted:

Hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha etc
But for real, has anyone ever killed Diablo in the first game with a Warrior? Regular ranged mobs were impossible to take down.

Yes. I played Diablo when it was brand new and finished the game with all three classes. It’s a bit more tedious to play nowadays but still perfectly playable.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

So I’m taking it reforged is still poo poo? Is it still the worse option if I just wanna play the campaigns?

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

I purchased the Reforged edition strictly to replay the campaigns and so far they seem pretty good. I like that there’s Ultrawide support out of the box and I think the graphics look good. I missed this game and still prefer it to Starcraft 2. It’s slower and with less units it’s a little more “micro friendly” than SC2.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

I think the first Neverwinter Nights came out right near the same time, and it had a beautiful spiral bound manual. I still have mine. I miss big manuals.