Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

Look, taking a nap and collecting all the money through their existing structures was a lot of work, ok?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

It's really loving impressive how outright bad this wound up being. My expectations were so low and yet they still managed to undershoot them by miles

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Every tome I think reforged has surely hit rock bottom this time...

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

The worst part of the remaster is blizzard directly hosting and uploading custom games.

Run kitty run without Lincoln park sped up to chipmunk speeds just isnt run kitty run at all.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Is there anything, anything at all with this thing that isnt broken?

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Tubgoat posted:

Nowhere in that document, I just thought it was funny (:thunk: not :v:) that they're supposed to be inbred and are coded Mongolian, judging by their costumes, structures and props.

*infinite :stonk:*

Which is hilarious when you think about ghengis Khan's infamous seed spread across the world.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

CyberPingu posted:

Sorry I got this wrong. It was back in 07 just before SC2 was announced they went after some guys remaking SC1 in the WC3 engine

Oh poo poo, project revolution. I remember that.

Honestly what amazes me is how long they let it go on.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

I was working on a port of advance wars, but lol if I'm bothering finishing it now.

Also it's hilarious that small indie developer blizzard is becoming closer to truth than joke as they circle the drain. Wonder how much of the remains of the company will be left after this bomb.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Don't you people have SSDs?

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

You know, I figured that reference wouldn't fly over anyone's head here. I was jokingly imitating how blizzard bombed handling the poor reception to the diablo immortal announcement.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

The Kins posted:

I think they gave FF3 a similar treatment recently, but they ported it back to the mobile version as well.

Yeah, they pushed a patch about a month ago and I was confused as hell because that port is like half a decade old at this point so I have no idea what prompted it.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Kith posted:

He's been replaced by a Marine for some reason. No more flamethrower orcs for you!

Wait, what?
Wasn't there already a marine? Are there two now?

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Kith posted:

Yes. There's the standard Marine and a "Terran Marine":

Which doesn't actually have a Flamethrower, it uses the same ratatat animation and sound effect as the standard Marine except with a poof of dust as a projectile.

Also, something I just now discovered: you can't test maps offline - you have to be signed in to Warcraft 3 first. However, if you have Warcraft 3 open and you press Test Map in the Editor, it opens another instance of Warcraft 3 to load your map.

That you're not signed in on.

That is absolutely hilarious. They couldn't even be assed to import a firebat when replacing their 40k rip off joke unit.

Having to wait for the game to boot up every time you test a map rather than just running it on the current instance is depressing. The fact that you also have to log back in every time is hilarious.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Remember when blizzard charged people money to hear about this and diablo immortal? Because with how this turned out it's even funnier in hindsight.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

THE BAR posted:

They made a mint, because they're Blizzard. They could release anything and people would buy it.

But they failed to do anything interesting with D3 since RoS released in 2014, and PoE is simply being more productive with their title. How much money a thing has earned is a poor representation of a thing's worth, is what I'm trying to say. D3 has no relevancy in the gaming community at large, while PoE still produces content for people to enjoy.

I'm not even super big on PoE, but I just hate to see a title get dropped like this.

Well yeah, because d3 made its money and they're done. Nobody is disputing that PoE is a lot more active, it's just nobody really finds that impressive because you're comparing the number of people watching a movie still in theaters to one the released to DVD 6 years ago.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Groovelord Neato posted:

Blizzard destroying the last good game they released rules so much.

It's really impressive how they not only botched the remaster, but took out the old version in the process.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

I thought:
D
D
D
D
D
D
D
Was just people saying, "we need to drop this fucker holding up the game" rather than any kind of DOS attempt.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

GoG has a version that runs on modern systems if that counts

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

I wonder how soul crushing it is to be one of the three people they have left working on wc3.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Pararoid posted:

Yeah, I guess I was just a bit concerned the keys could have already been redeemed if I just find an old physical copy.

If you're running an old copy to avoid the forced update, the key being used doesn't matter because you can't go near bnet for it being duped to matter.

E: oh, derp. You do want bnet and I cant read

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Groovelord Neato posted:

People should absolutely be mocked for enjoying Blizzard's post wc3 output. Though I think they're taking us aboard their ruse cruise.

Eh, sc2 was pretty solid if you ignored the plot. It had a pretty in depth campaign for an rts.

The expansions being full price since they were "stand alone" was a giant rip off though. I wonder how many people bought just one expansion and not the base game.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Zaphod42 posted:

Its also important to note just how many years it took them to release the full SC2 story, (and how much it all cost players), as well as how long it took D3 to get fixed (and how much it all cost players)

So even if those are kinda good games now... still rocky times.

Eh, each arc was a self contained story. And let's be real, nobody was playing the campaign for the story. Especially after hots end cinematic got leaked.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

jokes posted:

The other Starcraft featured a man wearing huge power armor with an inexplicable southern accent

The literal opening cutscene of sc1 features a satellite with the Confederate flag on it. The humans in the games are redneck exiles who drink beer that had been sitting in coolant for a nuke.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Groovelord Neato posted:

I never cared about WarCraft 3's story it's just the last good game they made. It is funny they've made it impossible for there to be a WC4.

Eh, not really. They'd just have to ignore wow. And its not like they're adverse to retcons anyway, they've been all over the place since warcraft 2.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Mooseontheloose posted:

My only wroblem with Kerrigan (and be extension Arthas and Sylvannas's) story is that the Zerg (and Forsaken) are implied to make you evil via their science/magic and transformation. On the one hand, yah they are evil with their evil actions but also...they are being manipulated and hand their minds warped by the inherently evil thing that is most definitely going to make you evil.

My point is that Arthas story is the 5th time Blizzard did the THIS GOOD GUY IS CORRUPTED angle and I didn't like it.

At least Arthas got the distinction of getting a descent into madness before he grabs the unholy sword of ally slaying.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

jokes posted:

Kael's story was great too. Just abject racism pushing him right out of the Alliance and into a way, way worse enemy's hands along a completely reasonable path; I personally agree with everything Kael'Thas did in TFT. And it wasn't even him being vainglorious, he was like "demons? this isn't right" then he gets hosed over and the only people who support him and the elfs are the "bad" guys, and he did it all solely because he felt that was what was good for them. This is also why it's dumb when they made Kael go crazy with demon magic, they really did him dirty. He was never arrogant, the racists just called him arrogant even though he was behaving in a way that was anything but. Then Blizzard says the racists were right and turn him into an arrogant, vainglorious dude after TFT.

I also think the worst retcon was what happened in Legion where they turn Illidan into "a good guy all along" when Illidan had started loving with demon poo poo like ten thousand years ago solely out of self-aggrandizement. I think at one point he was having his fellow mages empower him directly so that he could be more powerful, even though they would have been far more effective if they were doing magic themselves. WoW really hosed up a lot of warcraft things, imo.

My favorite part of that illidan bit was that they had the player relive him munching on his followers for demonic power followed by everyone around him going "holy poo poo what have you done?"

And then the game turns around and tells you what a great guy illidan was for doing that and making "hard choices"

People got so upset about that that blizzard killed off the wind chime that gave you that quest.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Groovelord Neato posted:

Since Diablo 1 and 2 were my favorites I do have to give the crown to bad writing to 3. The whole time I was playing I'm thinking man someone could do a great RLM style breakdown of this poo poo.

You didn't like diablo with tits?

Or the shopkeeper from d1 is back and not dead and also very evil and has 100x the dialogue of her previous existence?

Or...

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Kanos posted:

The primal zerg are so hilariously dumb it rules. Which process creates stronger combatants: deliberate, intentional genetic manipulation and harvesting of species from across space specifically to absorb and modify and mix their traits to be more effective killing machines, or a bunch of animals randomly running around and eating each other aimlessly? Apparently the answer is the latter!

I mean, conceptually they were really stupid, but they had some sweet models.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

SirSamVimes posted:

I will say that WC3/TFT does one genuinely impressive thing with the writing: It's a story where the bad guy wins in the end.

this is of course undercut by World of Warcraft

They already pulled that one in brood war, though.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Basically it's an excuse for throwback dungeons in WoW

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Orcs and Ostriches posted:

Thank god for cold fusion.

I got your zerg right here

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Groovelord Neato posted:

You mean you enjoyed not being constantly interrupted by a talking demon head that mocked you like a Saturday morning cartoon villain?

I didnt need that part of my plan anyway! I have (the next thing you smash)!

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Tubgoat posted:

I mean because if an enemy is running from you and you're chasing it at full speed, it will remain 1-1.5 cells ahead of you at all times while everything else in the room gets all the free shots they can take.

And now I'm having flashbacks to 5 million succubi.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

THE BAR posted:

Oh neat, they took out the king in the throne scene.

That was some impressively serious cutting on the patricide scene to make it look like noble humans readying for war.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Grape posted:

In keeping with that theme they should retcon the first game's Diablo into being a bratty little Lord Fauntleroy demon with a big lollipop who yells "I SHANT" a lot.

Stay puft diablo best diablo

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Frozen throne added a small smattering of mercenary ones, but the base game only had transports.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Groovelord Neato posted:

Folks don't really hate SC2 in terms of gameplay it's that the story is really bad. Not quite Diablo 3 level of making GBS threads on its predecessor but still garbage.

.Yeah, if you can ignore the story the SC2 campaigns are actually really cool.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Kith posted:

There's also the final mission of RoC having its difficulty obliterated because of lovely scripting, which is not great if you cared about the challenge of the original.

How is that different to before reforged?

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Kith posted:

Hero units don't show up, attack waves are weaker, Archimonde is Level 1 with no abilities and an empty inventory. It may have been fixed, but I don't care enough to check.

Edit: misunderstood your post. It was actually kinda hard originally! :(

Oh, I thought you were talking about how easy it is to abuse the scripting and make it send no waves at all. They ran the ne campaign at agdq this year and it was really funny watching them call time with a ton of time left on the in game countdown.

I always used hippo archers instead of mines back in the day.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Tubgoat posted:

Aww, that's okay, friend. :shobon:

I too enjoyed custom maps when they were run. Battleships owned bones, same with Dark Deeds, Island Troll Tribes was neat but goddamn impossible to get a full house for.

Angel Arena et al was always fun for the first three minutes until someone found the "instant win" character or lucked into gambling an imba item.

Agility heroes with bash were bullshit and made it clear the primary stat system wasn't designed for big numbers even more clearly than usual.