Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

No, but you see if the host dropped the game died. There was absolutely no way to transfer the host mid game, they HAD to host the games to solve this issue. It's not like you could just assign every player a back up priority enabling the game to go on and people to reconnect or anything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

I wish them luck. Although I'll never get people calling custom maps mods.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Most of then still run, but the colors on some of the new models don't work so well on some maps.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Could be true, I just remember my experience of putting pyramid escape on and getting really annoyed by the loss of immediate color identification on a lot of models. Especially non faction ones.

E: blizzard probably refuses to host poo poo like maps with goku and cloud in it these days, so those are probably lost too.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

All these years later and warcraft 3 online hasn't changed a bit. Actually, I take that back. There isn't a lobby to download some tiny tiddies in the minimap preview on that list.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

The warcraft 3 manual was practically a book if I recall

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

PaybackJack posted:

I'm so old we had to read the manual because the game would ask you questions that you needed to look in the manual to find the answers to.

Classic computer guy dumb logic, the people smart enough to have the technical know-how to copy a floppy somehow aren't also aware of the existence of copy machines.

Props to my avatar's prequel game, space quest 4 (where the quote comes from) which required you to check the box art.

My favorite version of this was in one of the metal gear games where you had to look at the back of the case and cheat in order to k ow how to contact someone.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Ainsley McTree posted:

Yeah i think it was literally the only way to get the frequency (apart from looking up a guide and actually cheating), or at least the way that the game was encouraging you to do it. I was about to wonder what you were supposed to do if you bought a used copy with no case but we did have the internet then, didn't we

Suuuuuuucks to be them. Worth it for the gag.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Ainsley McTree posted:

If they ever do make a WC4, they should just do a timeloop thing where WoW didn't happen and we just build off of 3 instead

It really doesn't make the slightest sense to do otherwise, barring the occasional nod to it. WoW is so big and convoluted and long that anyone coming from older games and not wow would find themselves in functionally a completely new setting. There's just no functional way to convey all that madness, hell this thread does a pretty good job and imagine having to read through all those lore posts to hit the point where you understand why there are spaceships, who the gently caress are all these characters they keep introducing, and why is this character still alive?

You mean they were killed off a second time in WoW and they're still around?

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Being realistic isn't as fun because we all know what WC4 will actually be is a cell phone game riddled with micro transactions, if it gets made at all

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

I wonder how many of the responses they get from that poll are just some variation on "stop driving your employees to suicide."