Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Gildiss posted:

Almost nothing has been addressed. Bliz is dead. You can safely uninstall bnet.

It makes me think that the better method by which video games are made are when the producers have absurdly deep pockets and go way over-budget to produce the game rather than whatever cost-cutting poo poo this was. SE handles remakes, remasters, and re-releases way way better than Blizzard nowadays and they have a habit of just throwing checks at things a lot. It's how FF14 got to where it is. If Blizzard had "lost" money on the re-master by making sure it was done properly they would have earned good will but instead they saved money by doing whatever they did with WC3R and people can, rightly, say "just uninstall bnet".

Basically WC3R seems to have been spearheaded by the 80s guy from Futurama.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Groovelord Neato posted:

Yeah I kinda assumed it was like how Games Workshop gave stupid "official" names to all the factions so they could be copywritten or whatever.

Elf? Nonono

Aelfs

That’s stupid and derivative, and no one is going to think it’s distinct. I have a better idea.

Aelves

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

I still don't know how it works. I bought Warcraft 3 many years ago, am I allowed to play my video game or do I need to buy Reforged for some reason?

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

One Starcraft featured a Starship Troopers like propaganda thing. The other Starcraft featured a man wearing huge power armor with an inexplicable southern accent carrying a barefoot, unconscious woman.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

TFT ends with a very very anime cut scene that is still bafflingly out of place even after the last 15 years of Blizzard leaning extra hard into cringey anime poo poo. RoC campaign ruled though, and the ending was dope and cathartic.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Kerrigan goes from hero in SC1 to zero in SC2.

SC1's Kerrigan has her be a compelling figure, who is fully self-actualized, and immensely powerful mostly through her ability to lead/rule/manage. SC2 has her be less compelling, less reasonable, and less powerful except for her anime powers at the end. She used to run systems, man. Now she barely runs a base. She dethroned the Big Boss of the zerg and then they retcon that to "actually he wanted her to take the throne" in SC2.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Kael's story was great too. Just abject racism pushing him right out of the Alliance and into a way, way worse enemy's hands along a completely reasonable path; I personally agree with everything Kael'Thas did in TFT. And it wasn't even him being vainglorious, he was like "demons? this isn't right" then he gets hosed over and the only people who support him and the elfs are the "bad" guys, and he did it all solely because he felt that was what was good for his people, and he was right since Lordaeron got hosed up and was controlled by the Dreadlords. This is also why it's dumb when they made Kael go crazy with demon magic, they really did him dirty. He was never arrogant, the racists just called him arrogant even though he was behaving in a way that was anything but. Then Blizzard says the racists were right and turn him into an arrogant, vainglorious dude after TFT.

I also think the worst retcon was what happened in Legion where they turn Illidan into "a good guy all along" when Illidan had started loving with demon poo poo like ten thousand years ago solely out of self-aggrandizement. I think at one point he was having his fellow mages empower him directly so that he could be more powerful, even though they would have been far more effective if they were doing magic themselves. WoW really hosed up a lot of warcraft things, imo.

jokes fucked around with this message at 21:10 on Aug 10, 2020

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

He was supposed to be the "I thought I was special! I thought I was in control! I did it for the right reasons!" guy and then, when he's getting chopped up and munching on his lieutenants, it's apparent he's definitely not in control of loving anything. The entire TBC expansion was to show how horrible he was, and how he was megalomaniacal and evil. Slave Pens! gently caress!

And then, in a 2 minute cutscene in Legion, all that stuff is ignored and retconned because Blizzard is, like, 100% on board with "tough choices" bullshit.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

The whole Jaina-Thrall thing was great. Two people showed mutual respect to each other who weren't even around when the things that cause their respective races to hate each other happened (other than the loving slavery jesus christ). And they motivate their factions (well, Jaina's was very small) to put down their hatred for each other to literally stand shoulder to shoulder against Archimonde. WC3 had some great character things (as pulpy as it is).

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Wide gulf in quality between SC1 and 2. Answering why they treated Kerrigan so well would be “because she is The Chosen One according to Ancient Prophecy to defeat The Great Evil.”

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Also why do they have the exact same infantry, vehicles, and airships as the Earth people who apparently haven't been in contact for like 300 years?

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Groovelord Neato posted:

Yeah this is the biggest issue. Diablo 1 and 2 didn't have great stories but had pretty straightforward ones and I wasn't interrupted every so often for a stupid cutscene (also in Diablo 2 the story being told in cutscenes wasn't yours and in 3 you're the Chosen One).

Diablo 3 turned into Chosen One poo poo, Starcraft 2 turned into Chosen One poo poo, WoW has no real cohesive plot so it’s spared the Chosen One poo poo I guess?

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

KajiTheMelonMan posted:

Whoa there buddy, let me tell you about the Chosen One in WoW who was so chosen they had to un-chose who him because he was just so, so chosen and too overpowered chosenly.

Holy loving poo poo, what is this?

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Usually it’s some Two Worlds poo poo but he managed to surpass the power of Ariel and live between Three Worlds.

They really need to rein in the writers. Between this and the Nathanos poo poo it’s getting weird. Who is steering the ship?

E: lol nice

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Then maybe they shouldn’t have you save the world 30 times a year?

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

There are very poorly written stories that still convey an interesting world or concept. Many YA novels do this. I, too, have enjoyed a certain familiarity with Warcraft that prompted me to read the plot, good or not, usually through a wiki or something and even dip my toe into the game. It sucks having them gently caress up an old character you liked though.

WC3 was the fun, dumb Star Wars while modern WoW feels like the bad EU poo poo where actually Leia was a Jedi and they use her to frame a whole thing where she completely abandons any of her original character and was a part of some completely unheard of prophecy that amounts to a Chosen One defeating a Great Evil and she does so by enslaving and genociding entire worlds, but is undone by Han Solo who is now a cop and is also a Jedi. Like, it just destroys every reason you were originally into the setting/characters.

Also they sometimes do things really well then just nuke the poo poo out of the potentially great thing in the story. Yrel, for example.

Warcraft 3 was really just a very good time. The setting, the gameplay, the plot, the pacing, even the Easter eggs were great. There’s a reason they still lean on WC3 poo poo to hook players for expansions and poo poo. Plot and story and writing are critical and WC3 was such a Home run compared to whatever the gently caress is going on nowadays.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Well, there’s only been one Great Evil, otherwise there was only expansion villains that amount to basically enemy nations. Sargeras was the big bad guy from before WoW until BFA and Illidan already had beef with the guy that had been presumably summed up in TBC by saying “Illidan failed and died because of it— don’t gently caress with demons!”. The Old Gods are more of a force of nature.

poo poo, even the Lich King/Undead were a Burning Legion thing.

jokes fucked around with this message at 08:13 on Aug 18, 2020

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Duriel is the scariest because his sprite looks like he has a big rear end grin.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

How else would we know it was a female?

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Sodomy Hussein posted:

I have a design question about this very old game. Why can night elf trees unroot? It appears to serve no practical purpose whatsoever, and moving trees in formation with other units makes them move hilariously slowly.

It feels like something that got left in from an alpha just because it seemed cool.

Theoretically you could uproot and move a base like Terrans in SC1, but there’s little to no reason to ever do this since it takes for loving ever and they’re not flying. Alternatively you can make them eat trees to heal, which is fine I guess. You’re right there’s not much reason except for flavor, to point out their buildings are mostly living things. Or to handle blocking/spacing issues in case a unit gets stuck.

Also I think in RoC trees couldn’t attack unless they were uprooted?

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Ancient protector sneak attack was a fun one. They were pretty decent heavy infantry that didn’t affect supply cap so were kinda fun to use if you were rich, dumb, and/or bad.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Druid of the talons was another hot one. Just pop in, whirlwind any enemies, kill all their workers, bail.

If I remember correctly items didn’t have cool downs for a while in ROC right?

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

What is the purpose of the food system? Yeah it penalizes having a huge army, but why is that not a good thing?

I was thinking: was It one of those reverse brain things, like the rested XP system in Blizzard, where it’s actually designed such that you’d be at medium or low upkeep unless you lose your army, which gives you an economic boost to rebuild? So players staying juuuust below the break points wasn’t intended?

It just seems weird and dumb that ideally you DON’T have armies on the field in this video game about having armies fight.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

PaybackJack posted:

Assuming that players would build the biggest army possible and then be able to use an increased cash flow from lower upkeep as a catch up mechanic sounds exactly like the kind of system you'd design after watching people play Starcraft 1.

I believe that SC1’s campaign (and SC2) really taught an entire generation of RTS people that turtling up is an effective strategy. It almost never is.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

I was thinking about it and man night elfs are a wacky addition. What’s their version of a Knight/Tauren/Abom? A Druid? Kinda? A mountain giant?

Their workers turn into buildings like zergs, but are also potentially infinite producers. Also they can explode.

Their first unit is a super delicate ranged unit, huntresses are very squishy for a mainline melee, their dragon-like aerial unit hits ground only, they bank up healing juice in their food supply, the list goes on. Within the confines of WC3, they are loving weird as a faction. And it works! Blizzard knocked it out of the park with night elfs.

And they made the anime hero poo poo!

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

The reversal of traditional gender roles in a fantasy setting was dope, even if the unit design was a little, uh.

Also worth pointing out, as scantily clad as the female night elfs were, the male night elfs also were showing a lot of skin. Demon hunters and KOTG don’t wear shirts at all, even though Demon Hunters get flared JNCO jeans. Basically everyone is shirtless, actually, except for some female units and the Druids of the claw.

Night elfs were pretty great. Something happened when they became bouncy perky cheerleaders in WoW though. Dryads, yeah, I guess.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Milo and POTUS posted:

Whats' the combined dps of two shadow wolves? It's got a cooldown of 1 so it's easy to find the dps but I have no clue how to calculate in the critical strike

A 50% chance to do double damage makes your DPS 150%.

I don’t know the values but the variables can be changed.

Mathematically you can write it as basedamage + (critdamage-basedamage*critrate).

100 + (200-100)(0.5).

Average of 20 damage, 15% chance to do double damage.

20 + (40-20)(.15)

The speed is irrelevant. You can also calculate the bonus alone by just

(40-20)(.15) on every hit

jokes fucked around with this message at 09:09 on Dec 20, 2020

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

I mean the speed is irrelevant to calculating the bonus of critical strike. Having critical strike is essentially just a flat damage bonus, akin to trueshot aura over the long term.

In effect bringing Critical Strike is functionally identical to, like, trueshot aura over the long term but is less useful and more selfish. It is last in line though which might be useful if you’re doing weird things.

E: I looked it up and did some math.

Rank 1: each wolf does 11.5 DPS
Rank 2: each wolf does 19.8 DPS with critical strike factored in
Rank 3: each wolf does 25.8 DPS with critical strike factored in

So if your dude hits twice as fast your DPS is doubled, with or without critical strike. It is multiplicative with damage bonuses though, such as from Kodo beasts.

Quick and dirty: whatever damage your wolf does add 20% as a flat damage bonus.

jokes fucked around with this message at 11:22 on Dec 20, 2020

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

They also provide experience when killed, which is the only real “watch out” with them.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

I think RNGs are traditionally not totally random, and can be predicted by another bit of software but for a human it’s functionally random absent some dev fuckery like in Xcom.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Probability is a funny game because it truly only (sufficiently to the layman) explains past patterns anyways.

Tomorrow you could roll 500 6’s on a dice in a row, and people generally accept a 1 in 6 probability of rolling a 6. If you rolled 500 dice rolls yesterday you’d probably question the validity of the 1 in 6 probability of rolling a 6.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

HvU both get a good amount of, basically, specifically diametrically opposed mechanics but HU is more skewed towards being specifically anti-undead-- dispel and holy light are major "gently caress you"s specifically to undead. Like, dispel does 200 damage to summoned units, skeletons (not skeletal mages which was a TFT addition) have 180. Undead is just better at taking down a bunch of low-hp units. Between atom/meat wagons and frost nova, footmen are fully useless while grunts and even archers have excellent staying power the entire game.

If night elf's rejuvenation did damage to enemy orcs, you'd probably think that's kinda hosed.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Side note: I always figured that UD gets the best auras for massive fights. Unholy aura, vampiric aura, even the way that obsidian statues heal make me think you're supposed to have a shitload of units as UD. But the supply system means that you aren't. And if you get a shitload of skeletons, beware the single errant priest with max mana.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Orcs were the best race in warcraft 3 and TFT I reckon. I mean, all their poo poo is so solid. The one arena they fail in, early-game single-target healing, is covered by their shop. Otherwise they have stupid powerful air units, though they don't get a "big" air unit I guess, stupid powerful ground units, and troll berserkers are very powerful, except they get overshadowed by the incredible magic users and demolishers.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

You can play your normal WC3 I think. You just can’t do most online things you’d want to do, and you can’t do custom campaigns. The install is also huge for dumb reasons?

Idk I didn’t buy reforged and the news about it kinda killed WC3 for me.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Get a tiny great hall from your orc ally, place it while you engage, TP an off-screen army of sappers in, have fun!

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Take it a step further, block all your sappers in an area they can’t really get out of and while the TP is casting, tell the sappers which targets to blow up so that they dutifully blow up the right things when they pop in.

No mess, no clean

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Nitevision posted:

Wc3 had some of the singularly best visual design of any video game ever made and still has an identifiable influence on designs in contemporary games. Anything with that expressive, slightly chunky color-block style, like Fortnite and Valorant, owes that the Wc3's artists.

The very first time I saw this poo poo I knew Reforged was done for lmao

Lmao I forgot about that one

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Maybe the real "con" was Blizz all along

:smug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Honestly the campaign holds up. It’s a slightly lesser experience but still excellent. It was gifted to me by someone who knew nothing of Blizzard’s problems too, so I didn’t have to fret about the ethics or whatever.