Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gay Horney
Feb 10, 2013

by Reene
Blizzard tech support and Google are being super unhelpful in solving my issue of the download being unable to be properly authorized. I had my friend send me his game files so I can play over Hamachi fine but I'd really like to get back on battle.net--I have seen online conflicting reports as to whether or not changing the CD key on an install is possible. To be totally clear, I do have a legit license for the game (I've bought it at least three times) and a legit CD key sitting unused, but the game was installed with a different key. How can I change it to the legit one?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gay Horney
Feb 10, 2013

by Reene
Battle net won't let me download the game. I don't see an entry in the registry for a CD key either although several different forums threads have implied its possible. I think it's in an MPQ file myself--the only option I csn think of would be to download a third party cd key switcher, but that's risky. Wanted to see if there were any known workarounds.

Gay Horney
Feb 10, 2013

by Reene

Baron FU posted:

You can register your retail key on battle.net, then you can download it through there.

My retail key is registered on battle.net. It will not authorize the download even though Bnet recognizes it as a valid key. They do some sort of validation after you download the launcher. My computer or network is for whatever reason failing that authorization even though the key and download is valid.

Gay Horney
Feb 10, 2013

by Reene
That's a bummer about the cdkey storage, thank you for shedding light on it.
my next solution is to borrow the discs from a friend but he lives a few towns away. Weirdly Blizzard tech support told me they don't show I have the games purchased either, but they're right there in my loving battle.net account management screen. :psyduck:
They sent me a link to the same downloader I've been telling them doesn't work :v:

Gay Horney
Feb 10, 2013

by Reene

AA is for Quitters posted:

As someone who skiped WCIII entirely and is mediocre at best at WCII (I can make it through the campaign, barely, and usually with the help of cheat codes after you rescue Zul'Jinn/the alliance archer (can you tell which side of the campaign i played most frequently?)) and RTS games in general, is it worth it to pick up WCIII? I failed miserably at SCII when i tried the trial of that, and while i love mucking about killing poo poo, WCIII came out at the awkard time when i was responsible for my own money but not quite old enough to work and didn't really have $40 to drop on it when i sucked at its prequels. It came down to that or Diablo II, and i picked D2, and did much better with that one.

But now that it's only $20, that i'll have next paycheck, and I've kicked around the idea of getting it every time i go and get curbstomped by the comps in WCII (since no one actually plays it anymore) but at the same time, i don't want a game where i'm just going to get my rear end kicked time and time again. Worth it if you suck at RTS's, given all the custom poo poo?

If you are paycheck to paycheck budgeting for video games you could do a lot better with your $20 than Warcraft 3