Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

Warcraft 3 was fun because of the campaign and custom maps. All the WC story is already in wow, and custom maps have turned into their own individual games. Competitive RTS (the mutated form that's left of it anyway) is SC2. There's no room for WC4 unless they make it a totally different game. The closest thing I can imagine is some kind of top down coop RTS/RPG hybrid where you build a base with a friend and then fight ever harder levels of the AI, but that wouldn't leave much room for huge playerbases so it'd probably have to be a fairly simple game.

I used to love RTS but ever since it became all about measuring yourself against some impossible bespectacled Korean standard of incredibly twitchy play i completely lost interest. RTS is supposed to be a chill genre that you can play and feel good about yourself, it's lost that long ago. I want to play against a goofy AI opponent that I can set elaborate traps for, not an insane human being.

Shibawanko fucked around with this message at 14:41 on May 9, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

Like, my favorite RTS memory was playing Empire Earth with my roommate over the LAN against 2 hard AIs. The hard AI would cheat like crazy, had infinite money and would just poo poo out buildings and units and throw them at you. You couldn't win by rushing or offensive play, the way to go was to just turtle like crazy using the game's very strong walls in a small base in a corner, and then slowly but surely push outward, moving the perimeter ever so slightly further out to get more resources while upgrading technologies. By the end of the game we'd just be sending 10 nuclear bombers at once at his bases, which would destroy everything spectacularly only to be immediately rebuilt.

It wasn't really incredibly hard, it was just a matter of perseverence and a series of clever tricks and traps, and it was fun to do with friends. The closest thing to that that still exists is Supreme Commander but that game's already over a decade old.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

I like TD maps where you have to do mazing and which involve a lot of slow and poison and weird long range towers so every wave takes forever to get through your killzone. I also feel that dedicated TD games like Defense Grid lack the weird patchwork aesthetic that WC3 maps had, where you mow down waves of flying pigs using a bunch of giant pink Thralls

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

i fondly remember reading the dungeon keeper manual on the toilet and in other places

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

one thing i really didnt like in wow or wc3 was that there was always a "relatively good" offshoot of every evil faction, like the forsaken vs the scourge. it would've been more fun if the horde had just been evil guys bent on conquest with the orcs as moderates and the scourge undead as the radicals

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

it's an accumulation of a lot of abandoned stories

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

the feeling i got in early wow was of a traditional rpg adventurer, going from town to town helping people with their problems and getting rewards so i could explore the world. the "big picture" plots about sylvanas or thrall or whatever were never interesting to me, and i lost interest in the game when it became all about that and Big Raids and stuff

in early wow you got to see the world built up in wc3 at a personal, local level. doing it the other way around by building an rts set in the convoluted mess of modern wow wouldnt work