Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

grubby needs to stop streaming heroes of the storm and only stream wc3 because hots is hot garbage.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

someone shoulda made genesis of empires a standalone game.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

but having to have an actual macro game should.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

it was because computers at the time chugged with all the units and it was better to penalize you for having a full army.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Chickenfrogman posted:

Parasite 2 was always the best custom game. It was eh with a bad Parasite player, but tearing apart the entire station in an orgy of paranoia to the point where the AI player goes rogue and self-destructs the facility to try and kill everyone without ever actually revealing your identity as the parasite was some of the greatest fun.

Werewolf was fun as gently caress too. Particularly when you built for hunting and spec'd into a monster that could punch the Werewolf to death rather then building a town and army to take it down.

it's really lame dota seems to be the only custom that spawned a stand alone game or genre. i always wanted those types of games you mentioned (and genesis of empires) as their own video games.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

i was mad when they introduced magic attack because originally casters had ranged attack so i'd stomp just going all shamen and witch doctors since you could upgrade their damage.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

i don't get why a lot of games can't play old replays. always pissed me off in wc3.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Tykero posted:

Those replays function by storing starting game state and then each action taken afterwards. Major version changes result in those actions potentially having different results, which breaks the replay.

they should've coded it so replays aren't worthless.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

you could that's why i don't understand anyone defending them.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Ramagamma posted:

Why do people hate starcraft 2 so much, like what makes brood war a better game. Asking for a friend

virtually every change they made was bad (they hired a designer from command and conquer to lead which is the weirdest to me).

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

the story was loving garbage dude.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

games have dumb stories because people will go "oh it's just a game why would i play a game for story"

last of us doesn't have a good story and it isn't told well so that's also partly gamers and game critics not knowing what constitutes good storytelling so you're right there.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Antares posted:

BW/LotV are good and sufficiently different games that there's space for both, in fact BW is having a revival in Korea with a new starleague with old and new pros (VODs: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D9F1KRtrs-k)

it's really really dumb how korean pros just change their handles whenever.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

koreans especially shoulda stick with handles since half of them are named kim so using real life names would suck.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

i raise

http://lol.gamepedia.com/IWillDominate

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

element td, the greatest td of all time, is still superior in the wc3 version (compared to the dota 2 one).

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

counterstrike td owned so much. even the blizzard made azure td was good and pretty tough.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

so how bad is wc4 gonna be.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

gently caress wow.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

wc3 had way more units and stuff to make their customs with so they were better.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

i liked the editor because i made the naga and demons their own factions with tech trees and poo poo. closest i ever got to achievin gmy dream of making an rts.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

i still don't like heroes and the insanely low supply limit in the main game but hero units did lead to dota and league so actually scratch that the game is bad.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

lol that was like the only hero i played back then. going 60-0 was the bomb.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

schmitty9800 posted:

Ths games netcode was godawful and b.net natively forces 120ms or so, that would be more valuable than any graphical overhaul.

i think it was more like 250ms.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

it's still crazy to me that there was ever a pro wc3 scene considering how poorly balanced it was. at least with brood war they could balance with maps.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

likely big fish in a small pond syndrome at this point.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

elements td is the best game mod of all time. i bet my friends and i played just tds more than everything else combined including dota and ladder.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

it's a shame wow blew up - we woulda had wc4 by now. though considering their output since wc3 i don't know if that would've been a good or bad thing.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Prav posted:

no one wants to acknowledge it but mobas are RTS games

action-rts was always the better name for the genre too bad the folks at riot are poo poo at naming everything.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

and "ladder anxiety" is lessened when you have other people to blame.

~Coxy posted:

FARTS doesn't really make sense because it's not strategic, and doesn't really have any RTS elements besides.

it controls like one especially if you play a hero with minions. it's literally an rts map. (and real time strategy games aren't actually strategy games they're tactics games.)

Groovelord Neato fucked around with this message at 10:23 on Apr 18, 2018

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

i try to forget. i try to forget...

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Malcolm Turnbeug posted:

I thought they already released Warcraft 4 and called it heroes of the storm

this is violence.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Cicero posted:

WoW is still alive and reasonable healthy, Hearthstone going strong.

Honestly Warcraft 4 would be easy to make tons of money off of. Just make something like SC2's co-op mode but as a main pillar of the game, with campaigns and competitive co-op, and with lots of vanity items and extras to blow money on.

he means they killed the story. of course the ip isn't truly dead they can keep wringing money out of it until the end of time.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

starcraft becoming a competitive game was mostly a happy accident (which is true of most competitive games before it became a pure marketing thing).

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Milo and POTUS posted:

Strategy and tactics games become competitive thanks mainly to diligent balance patches.

brood war becoming the esport was mostly by accident. (and then it was mapmaking that truly made it shine.)

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

can’t wait until someone makes tides of blood in this.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Why'd they think it was a good idea to make the Wisp look like poo poo.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

I mean yeah but the Wisp stands out among the shittiness.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

time for a joke posted:

i forget the name of it (dota 2? probably not) but there was one where one team had their base in the middle of the map in like a snow/ice island and the other team was around the outside

That was Dota 2 one team had the top of a mountain.

I know the Dota Chaos variant was super popular in China.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Milo and POTUS posted:

Man I loving love tides of blood.

It was the best of the dotas a shame nobody ripped it off.

The battleships dota was really good too.