Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Zone Control is a map I'm surprised never got a standalone game.

Genesis of Empires was one of my favorite maps. A new RTS as map I always wanted that as its own game too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

I don't get why they ever did remodels (well outsourced them). Even if they weren't terrible there's no way I wouldn't be playing with the original models. Why not do some texture rework or something.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Yeah you're right they would've had to do some type of remodel and would've needed a unified vision. It just looked nothing like the original game.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Those look so much better than what we got.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

ThatBasqueGuy posted:

Ah, well glad they just decided to go back and destroy and old title for shits and giggles then. A+ job blizz, bang up work all around.

loving up the last good game they made is so hilarious I can't be mad at them.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Blizzard could poo poo in a box and make bank. Diablo 3 was so much worse than the previous entries.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Blizzard destroying the last good game they released rules so much.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

How come they randomly changed some unit names back then.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Kith posted:

Steam Tanks, Ballistas, Catapults, and Gyrocopters were too close to Warhammer Fantasy models of the same names. Meat Wagons weren't changed because they weren't a potential liability.

What about wyvern??

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Tubgoat posted:

Are Wind Riders now Wyverns or vice versa? I'm reasonably sure either change is consistent with copyright cuckoldry.

They were originally wyverns. It got changed to wind rider randomly with all the other units.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Flayer posted:

I always assumed they changed the names of units that were generic to something more unique, probably for some copyright reason. Wyvern is a well known fantasy creature while Wind Rider is something specific to this game etc etc

Yeah I kinda assumed it was like how Games Workshop gave stupid "official" names to all the factions so they could be copywritten or whatever.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

I'm glad HOTS died because it was dumb when he was streaming that over wc3.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

When do we get WC2 Reforged.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

FoolyCharged posted:

GoG has a version that runs on modern systems if that counts

No it has to have new but really lovely looking HQ sprites.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Where's the Warcraft 1 remaster???

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Son that aint a remaster.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

chaosapiant posted:

I like blizzard still and their dumb games and I don’t mind buying them.

They haven't released a good game in 17 years.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

chaosapiant posted:

Nah it’s fine, their games are good and I enjoy them.

You poor dear.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Pragmatica posted:

Let's not go down this route. Let people enjoy things they enjoy. Don't be jerks about it.

People should absolutely be mocked for enjoying Blizzard's post wc3 output. Though I think they're taking us aboard their ruse cruise.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

The Wiggly Wizard posted:

Hearthstone was fun when it came out. Diablo 3 adventure mode was fun for a brief period. Wings of Liberty multiplayer was fun.

SC2 multiplayer was fine but it was way worse than Brood War. i'm not a card game guy so can't comment. Diablo 3 was easily my biggest video game sequel disappointment ever.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

The SC2 and Diablo 3 stories are loving embarrassing wrecks. The Diablo 3 bitching thread got gassed by a stupid former mod who didn't understand a post even though it was the best thread in this sub.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

chaosapiant posted:

I think the whole SC1 vs SC2 story is a bit overblown. Both of them are the equivalent of Saturday morning cartoons. They’re both just big dumb explosion fun, like the (first) Transformers movie, and I’m fine with that.

Nah.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Also they're obsessed with retconning poo poo for the worse.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

I never cared about WarCraft 3's story it's just the last good game they made. It is funny they've made it impossible for there to be a WC4.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

All the space fantasy stuff is garbo and they really needed to have the UED returning as a villain.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

So I read UED was originally going to be in SC2 but Blizzard went with a totally different story lol

Groovelord Neato fucked around with this message at 17:37 on Aug 10, 2020

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Since Diablo 1 and 2 were my favorites I do have to give the crown to bad writing to 3. The whole time I was playing I'm thinking man someone could do a great RLM style breakdown of this poo poo.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Zaphod42 posted:

Or the one character in all of Diablo that anybody actually cares about, Deckard Cain, gets killed in a very lame cutscene when the game forces you to be dumb and run off falling for a distraction anybody should see a mile away?

Its like Blizzard is trying to be bad sometimes.

My friend who I used to play an ungodly amount of the first two games into the wee hours of the night totally forgot Deckard Cain died until I was talking about how stupid 3 was.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Primal zerg lol

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Kanos posted:

The primal zerg are so hilariously dumb it rules. Which process creates stronger combatants: deliberate, intentional genetic manipulation and harvesting of species from across space specifically to absorb and modify and mix their traits to be more effective killing machines, or a bunch of animals randomly running around and eating each other aimlessly? Apparently the answer is the latter!

Also we've already told you the Zerg started as little worms on this planet that were uplifted by a hyperadvanced race but uhh actually they're *flips through Warhammer 40k manual* Kroot!

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Milkfred E. Moore posted:

I always figured Zerus was like Char, hence why the Zerg made that their main base of operations.

You and me both, sister.

Every so often some stupid thing from Diablo 3 or SC2 where the people making it didn't understand what made the previous games good (like a certain movie trilogy) pops into my head and I have a lil chuckle about it.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

World War Mammories posted:

chiming in that the sc1 manual owned, as did the sc1 zerg concept. as I recall the original zerg worms pre-xel'naga were basically the larvae that hatcheries spawn

You are correct.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Just remembered the Overmind was actually a good guy lol

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

They were in hyperspace or whatever for 28 years so that gives the UED presumably a long time to look for them.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Big Mad Drongo posted:

Like SC1's story is mostly told through the eminently skippable briefings and the occasionally bit of mission dialogue. You can ignore it all easily, and the game is cool with that, the plot only exists to make each faction fight the others and themselves. Cutscenes are saved for goofy poo poo like the beers being cooled alongside nuclear material and major plot points like the end of each campaign.

In SC2 (at least WoL, never played the xpacs) the cutscenes are a flashy, constant parade of bad new characters and stupid plot developments, and the hub between each mission constantly reminds you about the dumb poo poo supposedly motivating you. Nu-Blizzard bought its own hype and thought Old-Blizzard's writing was well-remembered because it was good, not because everyone just remembers 14-year-old-cool unit descriptions and the Overmind getting wrecked in a sweet for the time FMV.

Yeah this is the biggest issue. Diablo 1 and 2 didn't have great stories but had pretty straightforward ones and I wasn't interrupted every so often for a stupid cutscene (also in Diablo 2 the story being told in cutscenes wasn't yours and in 3 you're the Chosen One).

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

I thought the Xel'Naga being slug things was kinda dumb too always pictured them more mechanical.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

You're supposed to be a nobody in a larger persistent world in an MMO.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Luceo posted:

ah, yes, the pillar of RPGs, being a nobody

MMOs are a different beast.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Yeah I shoulda said were. The "newer" crop streamlined things.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Airspace posted:

I have never seen an MMO that doesn't have you save the world or galaxy before you finish leveling.

None of the ones I played in the pre-WoW days where I was doing most of my MMO playing had you do it.