Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

I was pretty naive to hope that video game SMG wouldn't hop into this discussion and be wrong once again wasn't I.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

FreeSpace 2 loving rules and only an insane person would act as if SC2 could even sniff its jock.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Aken Bosch is better written than every Blizzard character combined.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

FoolyCharged posted:

They already pulled that one in brood war, though.

Diablo 1 and 2. The twist at the end of 2 is probably the one time they've actually had a clever one.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Orcs and Ostriches posted:

It's been a while. What's the twist at the end of D2?

The character Marius is an asylum after traveling with the player character from the first game (the Dark Wanderer canonically the Warrior) telling his story to Tyrael in his cell. He did all sorts of hosed up things that made things worse when he thought he was fixing them like freeing Baal and was sent by Tyrael on a mission to Hell to destroy the soulstone he pulled from Baal that freed him. He confesses to Tyrael that he was too much of a wimp to go to Hell and gives him the soulstone. It turns out he's not telling the story to Tyrael but to Baal.

Groovelord Neato fucked around with this message at 17:06 on Aug 19, 2020

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

THE BAR posted:

Always being too late every step of the way was just great in D2.

You mean you enjoyed not being constantly interrupted by a talking demon head that mocked you like a Saturday morning cartoon villain?

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

chaosapiant posted:

Of all the poo poo D3 gets wrong compared to the first two games, I actually enjoyed watching Leah become Diablo. Or even Adriah being key to the plot. I enjoyed those plot points.

You know the first is gonna happen from the very beginning and the second doesn't make sense.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Tubgoat posted:

Hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha etc
But for real, has anyone ever killed Diablo in the first game with a Warrior? Regular ranged mobs were impossible to take down.

They also retconned it so the Warrior was Leoric's son despite Albrecht (the original Diablo) explicitly being his only son in the first game.

The Shame Boy posted:

I know it's pretty drat obvious to us the player in the meta sense but what exactly gives away the emperor kid away as Belial ingame? You have all of 2 conversations with the kid and then the next time you see him the palace your character calls him out instantly and it's like wait what.

He appears in a cloud of gas each time. I was gonna make a joke about it earlier.

Groovelord Neato fucked around with this message at 01:06 on Aug 20, 2020

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

The Wiggly Wizard posted:

I never played D2 but the opening to Lord of Destruction is probably my favorite Blizzard cutscene

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xp20voR11gs

It's their best one.

RoboChrist 9000 posted:

Part of the terror of Duriel also back in the 56k days - at least for me and everyone I knew - was that due to lag and connections being what they were, there was a good chance that by the time the game loaded you were already dead. You'd just hear LOOKING FOR BAAL and drop dead.

poo poo my friend and I had cable internet and it was still a dice roll if you survived the load-in.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

George H.W. oval office posted:

I got so hyped at this poo poo just because of the music

I was hyped for the original teaser because I thought what ended up being the Infernals were aliens falling from the sky. Was bummed they were just demons.

Khorne posted:

That wasn't 56k. It was the game loading assets after you clicked the entry. They fixed it many, many years later to preload the assets when you are near the shaft.

Blows my mind that wasn't fixed during testing. How did anyone do hardcore???

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Grape posted:

I think Baal just wins for me because he packs in a nice degree of uncanny valley.

He's also got the most personality.

Mephisto is way creepier in game than in any outside the game art displays with that kind of ethereal aura around him.

The Diablo 3 bitching thread was the best thread in this sub too bad kewpuh is super stupid and misunderstood a post and nuked it.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Grape posted:

In keeping with that theme they should retcon the first game's Diablo into being a bratty little Lord Fauntleroy demon with a big lollipop who yells "I SHANT" a lot.

It is bizarre the people making Diablo 3 forgot the first one was a little boy.

Anyone got that Facebook thread of Diablo 3 devs having a meltdown over a Blizzard North guy talking poo poo?

Groovelord Neato fucked around with this message at 15:39 on Aug 21, 2020

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Papá if you tell me once more to eat my vegetables and brush after every meal I shall be ever so cross.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Zaphod42 posted:

The really wild thing about it was he really, really didn't throw them under the bus. It wasn't like he wrote a hit piece on Diablo 3. He was being interviewed and they happened to ask him what he thought, and he said he wouldn't have gone in the same direction and felt diablo was better as X and Y. But he definitely didn't just slag them.

Plus everything he said was correct.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=huPF3Gid7DE

This is the guy they had their tantrum over.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

I was mad when they put magic damage in. My armies were all shamen and witch doctors.

I'll still never understand why they decided to change a bunch of unit names with I think TFT.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

General Battuta posted:

It was because of :war::redhammer:

That makes sense for the steam tank but how does "wyvern" or "catapult" get them in trouble. Or were they doing like Games Workshop with those like when GW gave Warhammer races and factions stupid as hell official names.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

I Love You! posted:

- Siege did full damage to units so pure Catapult/Blade Master was a thing for a while
- Frost Wyrms were cheaper and much stronger and could easily beat dedicated anti-air armies even very late in beta - 3-4 ghouls + DK straight into Frost Wyrms was virtually uncounterable and had to be nerfed hard
- Mass banshee was almost unstoppable for a few patches in RoC - possession was instant and there weren't good ways to punish mass caster at the time anyway

Remember all this - the last one led to one of my favorite gaming memories doing a 3 person FFA with friends. Friend 1 passes by my base with just a gently caress ton of banshees so I type out "lol" and Friend 2 says "did Friend 1 go all banshees?" and I lost it when I saw "Friend 2 has left the game." almost immediately after.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

I was really bummed when wc3 didn't have naval units or oil. poo poo I think originally they weren't even going to have lumber as a resource.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Orcs and Ostriches posted:

Water heavy maps added such a unique dimension to multiplayer gameplay in War 2. There weren't many public games played on sea maps, but they were some of the best games.

Exactly it's why I was so bummed.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Milo and POTUS posted:

I think they weren't even going to have base building because they said such and such percent of the time spent is "players building their bases". Turns out people really like building their bases. I honestly want to see the opposite universe wc3 just for a bit

Originally units (not just heroes) were going to have inventories and level up and there'd be neutral towns and poo poo.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Upkeep sucks. I always assumed it was put in because they wanted people to have fewer poo poo on the map because the game was hard on medium range systems at the time.

Drakyn posted:

While we're talking about RTS naval units (I too loved warcraft 2 and its giant sea turtles armed with torpedoes), I'm going to throw out this little article on the topic I found a few years back that asks where they all went off to, both because I think it's interesting and because I secretly always hope someone will explain how it's wildly wrong because boy howdy I'd like to see more of them show up again.
(edit: if nothing else, one thing he doesn't bring up that I think could be interesting is that water as a terrain often has almost no variation within itself - adding currents or reefs or other stuff like that as potential terrain tools could make it usable as more than just 'empty land, but blue')

No mention of Rise of Nations (the GOAT) turning ground units into little transport boats once they hit the water after you've built a shipyard so you don't have to load/unload transport vessels.

I like island maps or maps with lots of water. I play/played Vikings in AoE2.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

It's a bummer they didn't go with the original plan and make the classes based on units.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Khorne posted:

During WotLK WoW only had 2 people working on class design & balance.

lol that's amazing.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Milo and POTUS posted:

Blizzard so terrible lol. I do like that sc/2 are free so I'll give them the smallest of props. I've been enjoying 2; I don't know why everyone hates it. Controls well

Folks don't really hate SC2 in terms of gameplay it's that the story is really bad. Not quite Diablo 3 level of making GBS threads on its predecessor but still garbage.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

It is incredible Blizzard decided to gently caress over one of the last good games they made.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

The Wiggly Wizard posted:

Quotin this for later lol

I asked my friend "how are they gonna gently caress up the Diablo 2 remaster" and a minute later...

https://twitter.com/Diablo/status/1362930246165667840?s=20

Luckily it has the wc3 option to play with the old graphics.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

PaybackJack posted:

The character model looks so loving bland, jesus.

I wish I had a screenshot of the character select screen because it made me lol

George H.W. oval office posted:

D2 won’t be an adequate port unless they put in a delay going into Duriels chamber.

Playing hardcore on 56k back in the day seems wild to me

I never had dial-up and that would've still been a dice roll.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

quote:

Warcraft III: Reforged was Blizzard’s first bad game

lol

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Diablo 3 is the worst video game sequel I've ever played but you're right they likely mean financially.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Mooseontheloose posted:

Diablo 3 is an average game made worst by the fact that Diablo 2 is a classic.

Right it's the worst sequel for me because of the gulf between it and 2. It's like how Fallout 4 probably isn't a terrible game on its own but is dogshit compared to New Vegas.

Groovelord Neato fucked around with this message at 17:50 on Aug 17, 2021

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

BlazetheInferno posted:

I enjoyed the new graphics

Jesus really?

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

I woulda said Flappy Bird.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

It's bizarre Blizzard didn't hire Icefrog and make DOTA its own thing before S2 did HON and Valve eventually hired him. The amount of people who bought (or pirated) wc3 just for DOTA must've been staggering.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Jinnigan posted:

was looking through old youtube favorites and found this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q-psBvQJpyk

can you believe this stuff used to pass for high octane gameplay

The dark of night has disappeared